Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson football is ahead of schedule..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Clemson football is ahead of schedule..

Jan 2, 2021, 10:35 PM

As a fan base we’ve grown somewhat spoiled...

The reality is this - our on field performance is way ahead of our recruiting success...

Our recruiting is just now beginning to catch up to our results....

We have talent ... lots of it ...

But you don’t win national titles with your best hurt or on the bench for other reasons ....you either have so much high talent depth that the injuries etc don’t matter... or get lucky and stay healthy ...

And you need that depth of talent at every position on the field as well...

What we did this season..

What we did (for most of the season) without Ngata, Ladson. Ross, Skalski Davis, etc is pretty impressive.....

Just wait to see what Dabo does with the latest recruiting classes...

The best is indeed yet to come....

Go Tigers!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson football is ahead of schedule..

Jan 2, 2021, 10:50 PM

To be more specific and focus on one position group (and not to diminish our current and past offensive lines)..I could pick other position groups and make similar remarks to be honest...

Look at the 2020,2021,and 2022 recruiting classes...if things pan out as expected- we will have more talent and depth on the offensive line than we’ve ever had ...in the history of Clemson football....
Just think about that and what it means....

Jan 2, 2021, 10:51 PM

I concur.

I hear you, and I don’t disagree, but

Jan 2, 2021, 10:58 PM

let’s not forget that we have had arguably the best quarterback in college football history and the best running back in ACC history on the same team for the last 3 years. That makes up for a lot of deficiencies elsewhere.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I hear you, and I don’t disagree, but

Jan 2, 2021, 11:07 PM

Clemson hasn’t had a dominant offensive line since Danny Ford’s players moved on. The last really good line we had was 1991. We have not consistently brought in four and five star players at that position but last year’s recruiting class and this years might start turning that trend around.

What our offense has done with a mediocre offensive line for the past five or six years is actually pretty amazing. We’re getting ready to find out whether it’s been a lack of talent or a lack of coaching or both. The next 2 to 3 years are going to say a lot about this situation and if we need to go get a better coach for our OL. If we do I say we go poach the guy from Notre Dame or Ohio State or Alabama and pay him whatever we need to pay him!

We need to get good linebackers

Jan 2, 2021, 11:46 PM

Been thin at that position for years. Defense has done well despite but I'd love to see some really good LBs.

Sounds good ... and the 2016 team was ahead of schedule

Jan 2, 2021, 11:20 PM

In 2016, DW4 gave all and led an overmatched Clemson to a win against an all-time great Bama Defense.

Then in 2018, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, the Power Rangers, Trayvon Mullen, Isaiah Simmons and the Defense led Clemson's best all-time team to a knockout win of Bama with excellent play from a young TL16, J. Ross, T. Higgins, ETN and a solid O-line.

2018 was not ahead of schedule and was far and away Clemson's most talented team. And one of the best in the history of college football. If the best is yet to come, and I certainly hope with you that it is, we have a lot to look forward to. Still it will be difficult to exceed the talent, leadership and work ethic of the 2018 team! Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2021, 11:23 PM

Trevor didn't have receivers to the boundary this year. And we all admit with good teams, he had little time for routes to come open. That said, we didn't seem to do anything different last night to get him some more time. Generic play calling. Heck, try a trick play. Had nothing to lose in 2nd half.

But why haven't we been able to develop good lockdown corners. We seem to have recruited well or were they just out of position? Reason I ask, I watch these top teams and they're glued to the receivers.

I know we had a lot of injuries on defense, but we didn't seem to do a good job at all setting the edge on good running teams.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fair question ...

Jan 3, 2021, 12:14 AM

IMHO BV had some immaturity and inexperience to deal with in 2020 at corners and safeties. Our most talented DB's too often lacked dedication in practice, and study sessions, and it showed vs. top talent like J. Fields.

Booth, Fred Davis, and Malcolm Greene bring plenty of talent at CB - these young men and their coaches will have to figure out together how to optimize their talent to help the team. I don't see much more returning at CB and S based upon 2020 play. Hopefully, newcomers Mukuba, S can work his way into rotation and Wiggins, CB can help early in 2021.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know it has been said here before, but...

Jan 3, 2021, 12:14 AM

It totally just moved a bunch after reading this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2021, 12:52 AM

Well... as a long time tiger fan, I think we looked lost last night. LOST! Appears we were peeking too far forward. While there were several mitigating factors, players and coaches out, we appeared woefully unprepared and unmotivated. And there’s no excuse for that. Hats off to the nut necklaces, they had an excellent game plan and executed it well. As much as I like CDS, this starts at the top, the buck stops there. Don’t mistake what I’m saying, I’m not calling for his head. This certainly is not the end if the world for me. The tigers will be back. I hope we see those guys again and improve their record vs. CU TO 1-5. Here’s to a good game for all! Chheers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic