Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson entering the SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Clemson entering the SEC

Feb 14, 2020, 3:13 PM

I love to see the constant "play the SEC schedule" hypothetical and pretend like we'd lose to average teams like A&M UF etc despite constant success in those showings. But let's just think about if we actually were in the SEC and what people really don't think of..

1. Let's face it there's recruits that ONLY want to play in the SEC and therefore Clemson is excluded, now they expand that footprint there.
2. Clemson now gets about 30-40 MILLION more dollars as a payout for facilities, recruiting, and more by being a part of the SEC.
3. Schools like UGA Florida Auburn etc fall even further behind that "elite" status if they can't consistently fight vs a top team like Clemson and they lose recruits when another annual loss is added again only strengthening Clemson's chances in landing better players if other big names aren't making the playoffs.
4. Publicity skyrockets only bringing in more revenue as we then get more from TV, merch, and ticket prices going up (hard to believe) when you add a couple Clemson vs UGA or UF or LSU whatever it may be throughout the season, AGAIN big recruits love big time environments and that would only make for another amazing recruiting opportunity for Clemson.

Downfall
1. "Tougher" schedule according to the number next to the teams.
2. Associated with the SEC.

Most people don't think of anything associated with joining the SEC except for playing one or two more 10-15 ranked teams then a solid conference champs opponent. The fact is the SEC and the contenders they have now would be much worse off than Clemson if this were to ever happen and that's why I don't think it ever will.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson entering the SEC

Feb 14, 2020, 3:27 PM

Many if not most of these "I'll only play in the SEC" guys are not Clemson culture fits, and would not even be offered by Dabo.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:33 PM

I strongly disagree as we've lost many recruits to SEC teams who cited playing in the SEC was a big factor in their recruitment or made it harder to go to Clemson as they were drawn to the SEC cause that's what they grew up watching/knowing.

Feb 14, 2020, 4:03 PM

If we are losing recruits to the SEC it sure hasn’t had a major affect on the team! Last time I looked, the Tigers were right up there with ALL the elite teams. The SEC has nothing to offer Clemson that even makes this subject worthy of discussion.

Feb 14, 2020, 4:16 PM

Clearly you didn't read my post as I only said it would make us better and hurt the SEC's elite. Also yes the massive gap in money is going to inevitably catch up and no I didn't say we're being hurt by it but I definitely said it would make us better not losing recruits. Why did that upset you?

We are getting the best players in the country and obviously

Feb 14, 2020, 7:38 PM

can win championships. What do we gain by joining the SEC.. a bunch of academic misfits?

We're good where we are.

Feb 14, 2020, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

Then don't.

Feb 14, 2020, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

Are you really worried about our recruiting FB. We have been in the playoffs the last 5 years and have won two. What sec team can match that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 6:19 PM

I'm so worried about it I stated nothing about needing better recruiting only that the common misconception that we wouldn't make it in the SEC would actually in fact have a lot more benefit in aspects such as recruiting with the increase of money.

Feb 14, 2020, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

Bama made it 5 in a row and won 2 before this year. 2020 is when the Tigers leap past them for good.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really? Where'd you hear that from??

Feb 14, 2020, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

What recent recruits turned us away because they wanted to to the SEC??

not anymore

Feb 14, 2020, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

It looks like we’re getting who we want in most cases

Did we all just do a time warp?***

Feb 14, 2020, 3:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 3:50 PM

My Clemson degrees will likely be viewed as less valuable if associated with the SEC “academics.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 14, 2020, 10:44 PM

Yeah, anyone who argues this is so short-sighted. Yeah, the SEC is good at football. The ACC is better is everything else, and is the best conference in the country in Academics and Basketball. And lest we forget, it's a school first and foremost, not a football team. Clemson's not an elite school academically (though it probably is the best in SC), but SEC academics are horrendous. Using the USNWR, which is what most prospective students look at, ACC schools average #52 (41 without Louisville) with 7 schools in the top 50 academically and 12 in the top 70. SEC schools average #113 and have only 3 schools in the top 70. The ACC has 6 schools ranked higher than the second best school in the SEC (Florida).

I guess you could argue that there's a possible benefit to playing in a conference where you'd be the fourth best school academically as opposed to the twelfth. But beware the company you keep. I'd much rather my alma mater be mentioned alongside Duke, UNC, UVA, Wake Forest, and Notre Dame than Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Alabama.

The fact is, football isn't that important. It's a game you have fun watching for about 14 Saturdays a year. It's still a college, and that's its primary function. Choosing to go to a conference for football when it with likely devalue your degree seems to be cutting off your hand to spite your face. And its something I will never agree with.

Why?

Feb 14, 2020, 10:57 PM

I'm not sure how athletic conference effects academic reputation in the ratings.
Hopefully, the ratings have metrics and are statistically analyzed.

UGA and FLA are Land Grant schools that rank ahead of us academically.

Would they be Yale and Harvard of the South if they were in the ACC?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I hate the SEC.***

Feb 14, 2020, 4:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Feb 14, 2020, 4:21 PM

Simply put Clemson is not ever going to be be in SEC.

Feb 14, 2020, 4:23 PM

Never gonna happen .
It would be sweet though to be able to kick the Dawgs teeth in every year like we do to the Coots .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 14, 2020, 6:24 PM

Not saying it would or is really a possibility right now but just a run down as to how I'd feel we would be effected in the football aspect of joining the SEC despite common misconceptions.

we are going great, one of the best in America, what do

Feb 14, 2020, 7:39 PM

we need the SEC for??

we are going great, one of the best in America, what do

Feb 14, 2020, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

we need the SEC for??

Feb 14, 2020, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

I like your hypothetical Sethfly but how bout if it's not broke don't try to fix it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 7:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson entering the SEC ]

Clemson has never been able to 'kick the Dawgs' teeth in."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 4:34 PM

Your points on recruiting, money, and publicity are three I’ve made myself in conversations over the years. Not to mention the lower SEC academic standards. The fans in that conference are so brainwashed they either don’t see where all that’d work greatly to Clemson’s advantage, or they’re just that engrained in their own denial. Clemson could absolutely take over the SEC in football and make significant waves in basketball as well.

Feb 14, 2020, 6:23 PM

Exactly my point, also to others point I do think it would without a doubt hurt us academically and without a doubt make our basketball program and baseball see a shift.

Feb 14, 2020, 10:49 PM

And you hit the nail on the head. It would hurt Clemson academically. South Carolina is a dumpster fire of a school. Most schools in South Carolina are even worse. Furman's a good school, but very small. Clemson is a college. Football isn't very important in the grand scheme of things. And joining the SEC, by hurting Clemson academically, actively hurts high schoolers in South Carolina and the state itself. I will never get on board with that. I know that a bunch of Clemson fans didn't go to the school or have even been to South Carolina, but I'd rather the football program be shut down than my degree get devalued.

Feb 14, 2020, 4:43 PM

YOu think hoops attendance is bad now? Try playing SEC teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a solution...

Feb 14, 2020, 4:58 PM

...in search of a problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 5:32 PM

Not denying the relevance of having this discussion occasionally, but many of the characteristics that make Clemson the amazing place it is would gradually change if we moved to SEC.

Even worse, everything and everyone SEC-related is characterized by self-absorption. Their clique of sportswriters and ‘common taters’ is even worse than Ohio St, with the exception of all the Bama big brothers who exercise some adorable disdain toward the lower level stepchildren. Us fans are not always angels, but I’ve always heard that Nebraska and Clemson are two of the classiest places for visiting teams of all types to play. Some visitors find it hard to believe our programs are “big time” when we treat opponents and visitors with respect.

In fact, I’ve actually had Chicken fans refuse to come to Death Valley because they wanted to keep hating us, because it’s so hard to dislike friendly people. So when I asked to go to WB with them, they declined; I’m pretty sure they were embarrassed at the way they knew I would be treated.

I know eventually Clemson will have to deal with the fact that USC has 4 large advantages: 1) being the state’s flagship university; 2) its geographic location in the center of the state; 3) lower academic standards; and 4) SEC money. I’m sure that relates to more than just athletics though, so I’m sure the Prez and BoT are monitoring things.

I totally concur with your suggestion that if we joined the SEC, the dynamics of the conference would change. In fact, Sou Kar might end up petitioning the ACC for readmittance. And UGa would stop getting annual home games in ATL.

Feb 14, 2020, 8:12 PM

If such a thing ever were to happen then conference rotations would have the CU - Coot game having to go away for a few years every so often.

One Problem - No Invitation!

Feb 14, 2020, 10:51 PM

uofsc will lead the NO vote, followed closely by UGA.

Neither want us in the conference.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 15, 2020, 6:45 AM

You raise an interesting point about the money Clemson would gain in the SEC. As for "Clemson wouldn't make it in the SEC," no serious person believes that. That is fan trash talk. Just like evey time UGA signs a kid there is a "bag man." If Clemson were in the SEC, they'd be the SEC favorite this season. Is' also true Clemson's path to the playoffs would become more difficult. Would Clemson win in the SEC? Yeah. Would the roll through the SEC like they do the ACC? No.

Feb 15, 2020, 8:04 AM

why not Bama does.

Feb 15, 2020, 8:24 AM

Bama has a winning record against the Dawgs. You could say they have a history of beating UGA. No so much for Clemson.

Clemson Has Already Entered the SEC

Feb 15, 2020, 7:23 AM

and living in their heads rent free.

Re: Clemson Has Already Entered the SEC

Feb 15, 2020, 8:52 AM

Yet TNET talks more about UGA than UGA blogs. UGA lives rent free on TNET.

Feb 15, 2020, 9:00 AM

Yep. Zero threads about Clemson on Dawgnation. Zero on Volnation. Zero on Fightinggamecocksforum. Zero on SECRANT. TNET: continual threads about the SEC, SEC fans, SEC cheating, SEC academics, SEC being overrated,
tortured stats proving the ACC is as good as the SEC, conspiracies involving the SEC and ESPN, and anything Paul Finebaum says.

Feb 15, 2020, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Clemson Has Already Entered the SEC ]

I could personally give a rats a-s-s about UGA. I'm not on the UGA site like you UGA people on TNet. Looks to me like y'all are more interested seeing how the best does it or about to convert to a championship program and dump a 40 year loser.

Feb 15, 2020, 9:51 AM

"How the best does it"? Are you suggesting that TNET somehow plays a part in the football team's success? You really think UGA fans or anyone else posts here because they think they're going to learn the secret to winning football?

Feb 15, 2020, 4:27 PM

No AFDawg. TNet want tell UGA how to win. You first have qet players with character and a coach that knows what to do with them. I just meant loser UGA fans want to hang out with fans of champions instead of their own site.

Feb 15, 2020, 11:02 AM

Plant where you bloom.

Or something...

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic