Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson March Madness
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Clemson March Madness

Mar 17, 2020, 3:19 PM

March means brackets and we’re using our extra time inside to recognize the best athletes in Tigers history with a "Clemson March Madness."

Here’s how it’s going to work:

TigerNet is accepting nominations for four sports categories and we will seed the brackets out of it to include the best from football, baseball, basketball and Olympic sports. Join in the fun with your nominations through Wednesday at midnight (3/18) and we’ll tally them up for a bracket. From there, the matchups will be put to a vote in three parts to include Tiger Board, social media and our staff.

Here are are the top seeds as determined by TigerNet staff:

Football: Terry Kinard, Jeff Davis, Perry Tuttle, Deshaun Watson, Sammy Watkins, Travis Etienne, William Perry, Christian Wilkins, CJ Spiller (football/track), Anthony Simmons, Michael Dean Perry, Bennie Cunningham.

Basketball: Banks McFadden (basketball/football/track), Barbara Kennedy-Dixon, Tree Rollins, Dale Davis, Elden Campbell, Horace Grant, Trevor Booker, Terrell Mcintyre.

Olympic: Brianna Rollins (T&F), Tina Krebs (T&F/XC), Shawn Crawford (T&F), Bruce Murray (MSOC).

Baseball: Shane Monahan, Seth Beer, Khalil Greene, Kris Benson, Rusty Adkins, Jimmy Key, Jeff Baker, Billy McMillon.

Reply below to fill in the other half of the field with your nominations.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Isaiah Simmons

Mar 17, 2020, 3:27 PM

is the single best athlete to ever play at Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Stan Rome may have been.

Mar 17, 2020, 3:54 PM

He was huge in his day - 6-5 220 - and was drafted by the NFL and the NBA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson March Madness

Mar 17, 2020, 4:22 PM

Bill Spiers, Mike Milchin, Billy Koch, Denny Walling, Bert Heffernan, Tim Teufel are all really good baseball alums. That is just a few.

Mar 18, 2020, 9:59 AM

Billy O’Dell

Mar 17, 2020, 4:33 PM

Football
Nuk Hopkins
Levon Kirkland
Terry Allen
Trevor Lawrence
Dexter Lawrence
Wayne Simmons
Antwan Edwards

Basketball
Sharone Wright
Devin Gray
Will Solomon
Ed Scott
Chris Whitney
Butch Zatzelo (Spelling?)

Baseball
Billy Koch
Matt Crownover
Matt Lecroy
Tyler Colvin
Jason Berken
Steven Duggar

For Olympic Sports, think Sammie Henson & Noel Loban (wrestling) deserve a nod

Mar 17, 2020, 5:30 PM

NM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here are some nominees...

Mar 17, 2020, 8:06 PM

The TigerNet staff has compiled a nice list to start what should be an enjoyable activity during Dark Territory.
My own nominations are as follows:

Football: Nuk Hopkins
Fred Cone
Hunter Renfrow
Buddy Gore
Charlie Waters

Basketball: Butch Zatezalo
Greg Buckner
Skip Wise
Randy Mahaffey
Billy Willisms
Larry Nance

Bsaeball: Neil Simons
Bill Spiers
Tyler Colvin
Jeff Baker
Brian Barnes
Rusty Gerhardt
Bert Heffernan

Golf: Charles Warren & Jonathan Byrd

Wrestling: Sam Henson

Mens Soccer: Kyle Murphy & Henry Abadi

Womens Soccer: Carmie Landeen & Deliah Arrington % Nancy Augustyniak

Mens Tennis: David Cooper

Womens Basketball: Amy Geren

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 9:09 AM

Bennie Cunningham
Dwight Clark
Andy Headen

I had the opportunity to play basketball many times at Fike with a lot of the football players in the early 1980’s. Terry Kinard could have played professional basketball just as easily as he did football. I may be biased because of the things I personally saw him do, but he is definitely close to the top of my list.

Andy Headen was very similar to the way Isaiah Simmons is described. He became the guy that could play anywhere on the defense. Freakish athlete.

Mar 18, 2020, 9:18 AM

Jerry Butler, Dwight Clark, Buddy Gore and possibly Steve Fuller.

Definitely Skip Wise.

Need to include for consideration...

Mar 18, 2020, 9:21 AM

TigerNet's franc1968®'s father.

Dr. Frank Gillespie

Remembering Frank Gillespie

By Sam Blackman

It was with sadness that we heard that Dr. Frank Gillespie, one of the greatest all-around athletes in Clemson history, died recently. The 1949 Clemson graduate was 94 years old.

Gillespie was the model student-athlete during his career at Clemson. He was an excellent student, double majoring in electrical engineering and textile engineering. As if that wasn’t enough, he was a starter on three Tiger teams, football, basketball, and baseball. He was also the student body President.

Gillespie entered Clemson in the fall of 1942. But on a visit to Clemson before he enrolled, is what was so interesting.

Clemson Head Football Coach Frank Howard remembered the visit very well. Gillespie along with Jack Pollack, was attending the Blue Ridge School for Boys at Hendersonville, NC. Pollack asked Gillespie to go on the trip to Clemson with him. Pollack said he was going to a football tryout at Clemson.

Pollack was in the middle of the tryouts when Howard asked Gillespie “aren’t you going to suit up and try out?” Gillespie said no at first. Eventually he put on the football pads and a uniform.

“I told Frank, come on over and I’ll give you a tryout, said Howard.”

“When I was younger, I’d put on the pads and work out with the players some,” explained Howard.

“I remember very well giving Frank Gillespie a tryout, which was legal in those days. I hadn’t heard much about him, he was originally from Beckley, West Virginia. I lined up in front of him and told him to charge into me. Whomp! Bam!

I said, “That’s enough, son.

“Coach, I thought we were going to work out,” he told me.

“We have, welcome to Clemson. I signed Gillespie on the spot.”

“He went on to be one of the finest we’ve ever had. He was a great leader and athlete and could do pretty much whatever he wanted,” said Howard.

During his freshman year he played football, basketball and baseball. As a freshman he was the starting first baseman and batted .311.

Like so many during that era, he left school and served in World War II. Gillespie served in the United States Army during World War II in Patton’s Third Army and won three decorations for bravery during the Battle of the Bulge.

Gillespie came back to Clemson for the 1946-47 academic year. In an earlier interview, Gillespie remembers that time at Clemson.

“When I came back to Clemson after missing time for the war, I noticed my throwing arm was not as good,” said Gillespie. “But other than that I was still the same in other activities. The professors were willing to help and work with you. I had two good friends I studied with and this helped me a great deal. I didn’t have much time for socializing.

“I didn’t notice much difference at Clemson before and after the war. Coach Howard did not change either, he was still the same great coach,” said Gillespie.

After the war, he was a starting guard on the Tiger football team for three years, playing both ways on the offensive and defensive lines. He was also a starting guard in basketball for three years, and played three more years of baseball, where he made the All-State team as a senior. He was the captain of the baseball and basketball teams and was a game captain on the football squad.

During his Clemson career, many honors came his way.

Gillespie won the McKelvin Award as the top all-around athlete in the Southern Conference for the 1947-48 academic year, his junior season.

Gillespie, former Tiger pitcher Kris Benson and former Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson are the only Clemson athletes named a conference athlete of the year in school history.

Gillespie was the last Clemson athlete to letter in the three major sports of football, basketball, and baseball.

Long-time Greenville News Sports Editor and Columnist, Carter “Scoop” Latimer probably described Gillespie the best in his comments in a column he wrote in 1947. “Frank Gillespie, Clemson guard, is strictly a big league football player. He is as tough as the iron that comes from around his West Virginia, mountain home.”

Gillespie double-majored in electrical engineering and textile engineering and served as president of his senior class. An honor student, he was inducted into the Clemson Athletic Hall of Fame in 1977. In 1996, he was named to Clemson’s All-Centennial Team.

He was the Senior Council President, named to the Who’s Who Among Students in American University and Colleges. Gillespie was a member of the prestigious Tiger Brotherhood honorary fraternity, Blue Key, and the Block C Club.

Gillespie had a lot of fond memories at Clemson and playing on the undefeated 1948 team his senior season was one of them. Gillespie was a guard on the team and teammate Tom Salisbury was a tackle. Both of these players eventually became Baptist Pastors. “Who would have ever thought that there would be two Baptist Pastors playing side by side,” Gillespie once remarked.

Gillespie retired from IBM after 33 years service. He also was a pastor and attended seminary and earned degrees at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary and Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He served as the pastor at First Baptist Church of Iva, S.C. for many years.

Later, after returning to IBM, he earned his Doctorate at Luther Rice Seminary.

Gillespie lived at Villa Rica, Ga. and passed away on March 8, 2017.

[Story taken from Clemson's Official Website.]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 9:23 AM

Spiller
Terry Allen
DW4
Sammy
I. Simmons
Kirkland
Ed McDaniel= beast

Bkball:
Elden
Dale
Booker
Tree
McIntyre

Soccer: gotta add Robbie Robinson

Basebll:
Beer
Kahlil
Key

Sammie Henson- one of the best athletes at Clemson most never heard of! National undefeated Wrestling Champion, stud!

Mar 18, 2020, 10:10 AM

Someone has to toss in Nnamdi Nwokocha from the '79-83 soccer team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2020, 10:27 AM

Mike Williams and Tee Higgins

Mar 18, 2020, 10:28 AM

Marquise Reed

Mar 18, 2020, 10:29 AM

Dewayne Allen
Jordan Leggett

Mar 18, 2020, 10:32 AM

JUSTIN MILLER

Mar 18, 2020, 10:47 AM

Tajh ofcourse

Mar 18, 2020, 10:57 AM

Brain Dawkins

Mar 18, 2020, 10:57 AM

Brian* lol

Mar 18, 2020, 11:10 AM

Wolde Harris for Men's Soccer
DJ Trahan for Golf

Mar 18, 2020, 11:15 AM

Jim Stuckey, Bubba Brown, William and Micheal Perry, Joe and Jim Bostic, Jerry Butler.

Mar 18, 2020, 7:41 PM

Football: Keith Adams and Leroy Hill
Basketball: Greg Buckner Will Solomon KC Rivers and Trevor Booker

Mar 18, 2020, 11:58 PM

Bruce Murray

Demontez Stitt - Basketball

Mar 19, 2020, 12:33 AM

Led the team down the court to 4 straight NCAA tournament appearances. Who could ask for more than that.

RIP

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are we rating on athletic skill alone?

Mar 19, 2020, 2:30 AM

Shane Monahan was a major ###### in college. Fame went to his head.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some Big time Olympic sports ones missing

Mar 19, 2020, 2:46 AM

Wrestling: Sammy Henson. NCAA champion

Men’s soccer: Oguchi Onyewu. Stalwart defender for the US national team for many years.

Women’s basketball: Barbara Kennedy Dixon

Men’s tennis: Jay Burger, cracked the top 5 in the world in the pros.

Women’s track: Olympic GOLD MEDALIST Brianna Rollins

Mar 19, 2020, 7:55 PM

davidhood® when does the bracket come out?

Intramural softball team legends ‘Hootie & the Horsemen ’

Mar 19, 2020, 9:23 PM

Hootie & the Horsemen were a legendary intramural softball team in the mid-90s at Clemson. They obliterated all opponents along the way to multiple championships, and even defeated a team containing a few starting Clemson Div1 baseball players (somehow they snuck by Fike’s diligent checks).

Team comprised of celebrity figures from Johnstone like Hootie, Cannon, Doc, Chip, BK Deuce, Jackie D, Ricky Proehl, Give me a Lunch, Pole Toe’s Boshoodo, God’s Gift, and Stained Tshirt.

They kissed all the girls and made them cry. If they aren’t a Top 4 seed, then you haven’t been paying attention.

Anybody else remember remnants of their former team ‘Chest Action’ that used to bench press a car before each game?

Hootie & the Horsemen cycled in while Bullpen Janitors and Shirley’s Boys cycled out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic