Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson-FSU Rivalry
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,449

Clemson-FSU Rivalry

Jul 27, 2020, 11:29 AM

Obviously this is with the HUGE caveat that after 2003, FSU was a shell of its 90s-heyday self but, anyone else not realize that we've won 5-in-a-row over the Noles?

Granted, we lost to their best teams in the 2010s but the 2015 FSU team we beat went 10-3 and the 2016 team was arguably their best outside of 2013, beating #6 Michigan in the Orange Bowl.

Whoda thunk circa 2002 that we would've gone 11-6 against the Noles over the next 17 years?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson-FSU Rivalry

Jul 27, 2020, 11:44 AM

It is about time for us to do this. The way they commanded the ACC when they first joined without any competition form Clemson was a real sore point with me. It was mostly due to our disarray post Ford I imagine

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the ebb and flow of college football. FSU is now

Jul 27, 2020, 12:08 PM

experiencing what it is like to be wandering in the wilderness, so to speak. If anyone knows what that is like after a period of greatness, it is us in the post Saint Danniford era.

But, with all the mouthy characters they had back in the day like Neon Deion, I do not feel sorry for them one bit. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not one bit 76er

Jul 27, 2020, 2:36 PM

Let them read books.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama post-Bear, except for that one Stallings/Dabo year, had

Jul 27, 2020, 2:46 PM [ in reply to That's the ebb and flow of college football. FSU is now ]

their fans hurting and willing to break the bank to get Saban.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

If they die, they die***

Jul 27, 2020, 2:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 2:34 PM

FSU will be fine but they will never be as dominant as they were in a BB era team. They will have their Jimbo peaks but forever remain the ACC's version of Auburn. Extremely good, can win it all, but likely will remain as a lesser player because of instate/regional competition.

It takes a great coach can create a program, get it to a power-status, but being on top is hard to do. I am kinda curious if

In the ACC and the modern, forward pass era, only two teams have had sustained success with more than once coach. Clemson.... and Miami. Sure there is the Jimbo/Bowden item, which is kinda odd historically, but you can lay FSU's troubles on Jimbo. Now Miami is a bit of a different as they churned out coahces and athletes and if not for the NCAA remorse surrounding SMU, they would have likely been a death penalty program. Very few programs have multiple "legacy" coaches... Clemson has 3.5 (Howard, Ford, Swinney... and I would say Heisman would be the 0.5 more for historical sake). That is kinda rare and lends credence to the fact that Clemson will/should always remain a factor even when we are dealing with a "west era". Lay as much grief on Tommy Bowden, but at least he stopped the bleeding.

So look at the last time ND won a title and see which programs from current ACC schools that were both successful and had more than one coach. We, (Clemson) barely scrape into that "success", but Bowden, Brown -of sorts-, Beamer, Walsh (relative to history) - do we toss Bobby Ross in there? -were all legacy coaches. But singular legacy coaches. Heck, I think Maryland tossed away a legacy coach with Ralph... but Maryland has never been accused of good ideas.

As a counter example, look at NC State

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 2:37 PM

And 2 of our losses during that time came in overtime games where we should've put them away in regulation.

Can't stand the chant, never will - GO TIGERS

Jul 27, 2020, 2:38 PM

We owe them a lot of losses

We got screwed with Danny and it impacted us greatly over the years until Dabo

I loved the guy with the book in the stands last year and how their fans have deserted them

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks to Tigerray, just finished the '06 CU-FSU down in

Jul 27, 2020, 2:41 PM

Talley. Crazy game. We lead 14-9 at the half, and all 9 of their points are from blocked kicks (extra point and field goal). Then tied 20-20 late, James Davis carries us down the field, including the big run on a quick snap. First win in Talley since the '89 with down there. Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just re-watched the 2009 FSU game. I remembered the awful

Jul 27, 2020, 4:48 PM

kicking in '06 but '09 may have been worse and I had completely forgotten.

Richard Jackson missed 2 FGs and an XP, they brought in backup (Pinion maybe?) and he missed an XP. It was insane.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks to Tigerray, just finished the '06 CU-FSU down in

Jul 27, 2020, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Thanks to Tigerray, just finished the '06 CU-FSU down in ]

For those of us that were in Tallahassee for the 57-0 beatdown, it sure was sweet to finally in Doak-Campbell for the first time since 1989. Bowden had them throwing bombs from their own endzone even though they were up huge. Those Noles showed no mercy.

I was there in 1989 too. That was awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2020, 2:50 PM

As someone who was born in the 80s and started watching college football in the mid-90's I can honestly say that I would've had a hard time believing anyone who told me how things would turn out. It's not just that we've won those games, but that 4 out of those 5 games have been decided by 10 or more points, 3 of them by 17 or more, and the last 2 have been by 40+ points.

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,449
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic