Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where Are You From?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Where Are You From?

Jun 15, 2018, 4:41 PM

This AM I attended a special program at the Korean War Memorial in Greenville. Hannah Kim, a lady with a mission. was their to lay a wreath and thank all of those who served during the Koran War. She presented each one of us with a beautiful pin, a hug and a kiss. I returned to the line several times, not for the pin, but for the hug and kiss.

Most of you know I am a WW2 and Koran War vet and, contrary to what some of my friends would have you believe, I did not serve during WW1. With all of that aside, while sitting there during the program, one of my numerous memories surged to the front. The only reason I can think of was because it does have a connection to South Korea.

In 1992-93 I served as a consultant to the Cotton Export Corp. in Pakistan. The other engineer was also a Korean War veteran. Our headquarters was in Karachi and near the hotel, which was our home away from home, was a Korean restaurant. One evening we decided to visit the restaurant. Sitting in the restaurant enjoying our meal, we related some of our stories about the war. At the cash register was a young man whom we assumed owned the restaurant. We decided to ask him when we were checking out if he and his family had come from Korea to Karachi.

Well, we asked him if had come from South Korea. In very perfect English he responded, "no, I came from Toledo, Ohio". We had a big laugh and then he explained that he had remained in the states after finishing college and was in Karachi visiting his parents who owned the restaurant. He was helping his parents but said they had come from Seoul, South Korea, and had been in Karachi many years.

So, when you ask someone from whence they came, don't be surprised if they say. "I'm from Timbucktoo" you all".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eastern N. C. Joe...

Jun 15, 2018, 7:11 PM

You asked for it!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Eastern N. C. Joe...

Jun 15, 2018, 7:26 PM

Liberty/Easley area growing up now reside in Anderson but work in Greenville.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2018, 9:10 PM

old enough to remember the fair and the rite of passage for all of us rats?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jun 15, 2018, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Eastern N. C. Joe... ]

I'll have to be more careful in the future re the title or subject of my posts. Any of you guys from Toledo? That's Toledo, Ohio, not Spain. I hope (there, their, they're) is no other Toledo.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where Are You From?

Jun 15, 2018, 8:12 PM

Grew up in Sumter
Went to Clemson
I have lived in Charleston for 30 years

Jun 15, 2018, 8:23 PM

Born: Easley Baptist

Raised in Central/Norris, SC

Live in Lilburn, GA

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2018, 8:36 PM

Born and Raised: Summerville, SC

20 years in the Air Force: Spain, Guam, Georgia, Panama

Live in: Sumter, SC

Jun 16, 2018, 6:11 AM

I born in Sumter will my dad was station at Shaw AFB. He spent 22 years in the air force. Live in Florence now.

timbukto is a rough place

Jun 15, 2018, 8:46 PM

very old part of the world

https://www.google.com/maps/@16.7713828,-3.025489,14z

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2018, 8:55 PM

Horror or horrors !!! On the second line in my post I have "their" instead of "there". I hereby announce the following self imposed penalty---- I promise to continue to make numerous mistakes in spelling, sentence structure, dangling participles, past tense when present or future tense is intended, intermingled nouns, verbs, adjectives & adverbs and definitely a lot of confusion.

Where am I from? About 75 miles behind the post office in Jacksonville, FL

My job takes me to Toledo 30x per year

Jun 15, 2018, 9:00 PM

Pyongyang is nicer than Toledo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My job takes me to Toledo 30x per year

Jun 16, 2018, 6:02 AM

Go Mud Hens !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 15, 2018, 9:07 PM

17 yrs. in Connecticut.then 4 yrs. in Clemson followed by another 4 yrs in Boston.a 3 yr. hardship tour in Columbia at Ft. Jackson(guys who went to Vietnam have nothing on me.)rest of time spent in the real upstate NY near Saratoga.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Joe, any truth to you serving in Spanish Civil War 36-39?

Jun 15, 2018, 9:08 PM

Asking for a friend. But seriously, thanks for your service Joe. Sounds like you had some lipstick to wash off based on your multiple runs through the line. I am from Hampton, VA and moved to Savannah, GA after college where I married a remarkable UGA Bulldawg, raised two kids, and have worked for Gulfstream Aero many years. Sounds

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2018, 9:42 PM

Born and raised in Greenwood, live in Lake City now Mr. Joe....

Air Force brat,,nowhere and every where***

Jun 15, 2018, 10:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2018, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Where Are You From? ]

Born in Rock Hill, SC, lived in Spartanburg, Camden, Goose Creek and for the last 27 years, NE Columbia off of Clemson Road!

Go Tigers!

Good Question

Jun 15, 2018, 11:02 PM

According to Ancestry.com I am a Terran-extraterrestrial hybrid.

While recovering at Walter Reed , I had a

Jun 15, 2018, 11:11 PM

SPECIAL nurse from Toledo, Ohio. Very special.

Jun 15, 2018, 11:38 PM

Born on a river farm up near the Duke nuclear station. One year in Korea, Knoxville, Tn, College Station, Tx, Alexandria, Va, and 57 years in Raleigh, NC.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2018, 5:25 AM

Born in Portsmouth (Va) Naval Hospital , Joe .
Grew up in Moncks Corner .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jun 16, 2018, 6:49 AM

Born and reaised near the fun capital of the world, Savannah, Georgia. Spent 20 years bouncing around with the Air Force. Now living in the delusion capital of the world, Columbia, SC.

also savannah***

Jun 17, 2018, 11:32 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2018, 6:49 AM

Reminds me of a scene from an old TV show:

First lady asks, "Where are you from?"

2nd snooty lady says, "I am from a place where we put an object behind the preposition."

First lady responds, "OK. Where are you from b*tch?"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Classic TV line

Jun 16, 2018, 10:24 AM

From the original Designing Women tv show - late '80s. That line is impossible to forget.

Jun 16, 2018, 6:56 AM

Beaufort, SC. I've been to Toledo (the one in Spain). Can't recall if I ever visited the Toledo in Ohio, but I probably did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2018, 8:12 PM

I've been to both Toledos. I like the one in Spain the best; my favorite city in Spain.

Jun 16, 2018, 9:15 AM

the belly of the beast.
Forest Acres SC born and raised.

Jun 16, 2018, 9:26 AM

Courtenay,SC

Jun 16, 2018, 8:24 PM

Born in Rota Spain
Raised in Ladson SC
Served in the Navy
Live in Goose Creek SC 26 years now

Jun 16, 2018, 8:39 PM

From Charleston but have lived numerous place. I currently reside in East Lansing, MI but I am moving in two weeks to an area just south of Richmond, VA... looking forward to some sweet tea ??

Jun 18, 2018, 11:26 AM

Originally from Charleston, moved to Harristown in 1977, I was six. PS, Harristown is not really a place, it's between St. Stephen and Macedonia. Near Monck's Corner.

Jun 18, 2018, 11:34 AM

Born: Richland county (dump)
Raised: Lexington county
Reside : Fayetteville

Born in Southern WV

Jun 18, 2018, 1:08 PM

Believe me...I’ve heard all the jokes already. Went to Clemson, live in Liberty,SC now. Been here 25 years. Next year my son will be a Freshman at Clemson. The tradition continues!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

born in west by God virginia, raised in god's country,

Jun 18, 2018, 2:35 PM

central, sc, have lived in slowvannah gawga, the chicago of the south for the past 26 years

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic