Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chuck Oliver was ragging on the ACC again yesterday...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 2,042

Chuck Oliver was ragging on the ACC again yesterday...

May 17, 2013, 11:01 AM

On 680 The Fan here in ATL.

He was landblasting Swofford's claim that the ACC can stand up to anybody in football.

Can't really argue much with what he said, but he came across, as usual, as a sniveling a-hole.

He particularly gave us a hard time for not being able to stay within 10 points of USuC at home. That one stings, Mr. Oliver.

But he also said that we can't take much pride in beating LSU because that was ACC#2 vs. SEC#6. That one I have to dispute. That may be the pecking order for the Chick-Fil-A, but LSU was not #6. I would say there was a logjam for #2 is the SEC including LSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But that is like saying GT was ACC #2

May 17, 2013, 11:12 AM

it is a bit misleading. LSU was clearly top 2 in the SEC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think us beating Auburn 2X in a row has him ragging

May 17, 2013, 11:16 AM

on us. And if we beat UGA and USuC--Oh, My Goodness--what a problem they have in the middle of SEC country--an SEC-like school in among them who beats them (and out recruits them)but that belongs to the ACC.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think us beating Auburn 2X in a row has him ragging

May 17, 2013, 11:30 AM

Let's get rid of the "SEC- like team" thing. There is no "SEC like" when the conference includes Kensucky, South Carolina (most years), Mississippi, Mississippi State (most years), Vandy, Tennessee (lately), and Auburn (last year). Let's talk about individual teams, instead.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad you said it. "SEC-like" is nothing to aspire toward.

May 17, 2013, 11:38 AM

Their modus operandi will probably be disclosed after some of the lower teams start competing with the likes of Alabama and their recruiting 'tactics' come under more scrutiny.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

case in point: Ole Miss

May 17, 2013, 11:47 AM

remember signing day? Trying to be "sec like" gets you a LOT of sideways stares if you are not one of the regulars.

It made it personal for him with Clemson. He give us credit

May 17, 2013, 11:56 AM [ in reply to Re: I think us beating Auburn 2X in a row has him ragging ]

when it is due, but never misses a chance at a dig at the ACC. He admits that he contributes money to Auburn and speaks at their functions. He is a fan of Auburn.

I loved it when we snapped their 17 game winning streak, he cried for two weeks on the radio about Dabo celebrating after the game. Then last year, he was bound and determined all summer to make sure that if Dabo allowed Sammy to play he was going to really make it known that Dabo didn't do the right thing. So Dabo suspends Sammy and we still kick their butt.

O'kay. Big-time Southern College Football Team.

May 17, 2013, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I think us beating Auburn 2X in a row has him ragging ]

I like that better anyway.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed.

May 17, 2013, 12:42 PM [ in reply to I think us beating Auburn 2X in a row has him ragging ]

He said he wants "nothing to do with Clemson" and no other SEC team should either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chuck Oliver was ragging on the ACC again yesterday...

May 17, 2013, 11:20 AM

You say there was a logjam at No.2 and I really think you make a valid point. There was not that much difference in the teams talent wise. The biggest difference were the match up problems. I think match ups in teams with equal talent is usually the key to winning. LSU did have problems matching up with the offense Clemson ran. We had a speeder defense and the match up problems were different against us. I have never thought about a logjam at No.2......good analysis.

I appreciate your comments, but a team that has 8 of 11

May 17, 2013, 11:34 AM

defensive starters drafted (six in the first three rounds) isn't suffering from a "match-up" problem. They have the talent to match up with anyone. Our boys just whooped them until they were on the ground saying "no mas." Didn't they have SEC speed? Didn't they have a year's worth of film and a month to get ready?

Similarly, I don't think South Carolina has any kind of match-up benefit against us. I think your boys have been lining up and beating us. Much as I hate to say that.

null

the one thing SC has done that other teams haven't done...

May 17, 2013, 11:39 AM

is throw off the timing between our QB and receivers by putting lots and lots of pressure on the QB. They've also done a great job of hanging onto the ball and keeping it away from our offense. So they didn't need to have a great across the board defense like LSU had, they just needed to have a serviceable offense (which LSU did not have) and a defense that could get after the QB. In some ways, that is a matchup issue for both LSU and Clemson.

Re: I appreciate your comments, but a team that has 8 of 11

May 17, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to I appreciate your comments, but a team that has 8 of 11 ]

That shows me you have limited football knowledge. You take advantage of match up problems. They do it in every football contest played in any fashion...NFL, college, high school. Sammy Watkins is a match up problem with most teams as was Nuk. We had a scheme and the players to contain them and LSU has built their defense with more brawn than speed. We beat No.1 Alabama after losing to Arkansas and the 1st thing the commentators said was we matched up better against Alabama than Arkansas, they said this BEFORE the game. It proved to be the difference. Don't ever get into coaching....you are NOT qualified in any way....lol...JK.

*sigh*. Okay...first of all, there's a difference between

May 17, 2013, 1:02 PM

team match-up and player match-up.

Secondly, what "match-up" problems do Sammy and Nuk pose against defenses, other than being very talented? Are they too tall?

Thirdly...I'm sorry, what? LSU was built for brawn and not speed? Okay. Show me where there were some 2012 assessments that indicate this. I googled a couple and searched on "speed" and it came up...a lot. I do sympathize with an SEC team trying to keep up with Clemson speed, though. Almost not fair.

I will agree with you about one thing, though. I won't ever get into coaching. I am not qualified.

null

I mean, they were ranked 8th weren't they?

May 17, 2013, 11:28 AM

And they came the closest to beating the eventual national champions... and, like Dabo said, they had "like half of the NFL draft" on their team. It really is a shame we couldn't beat South Carolina, because the fact that we could beat LSU pretty much means we had the team to do it.

The King of College Football is a legend...

May 17, 2013, 11:33 AM

in his own mind.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The King of College Football is a legend...

May 17, 2013, 11:39 AM

Last year the ACC was 2-6 versus the SEC, and 0-3 versus the Big 12.

The ACC was dead even at 7-7 versus the combined Big 10, Pac 10 and Big East, winning as many against each of those leagues as we lost.

The ACC was second to the SEC in NFL draftees.

Everything else that can be said about the comparison of the leagues is b.s.

And I could not care much less if VT or UNC or FSU wins or loses a game against any other league as long as we win all our games.

Pretending to be good because your league is good is a bad strategy. Winning your games is a great strategy.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes and no...

May 17, 2013, 11:53 AM

You're right that all that should matter is the head to head record. Unfortunately, people only seem to care about that when the SEC comes out ahead. I don't remember anybody saying much when the ACC won the majority of games against the SEC.

But we do need other ACC teams to win game OOC, because if they don't it decreases our SOS to the point where it becomes difficult for us to get to a championship.

Chuck is selling audiences not reporting honestly.

May 17, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: The King of College Football is a legend... ]

He knows where the flaws in his logic are. He knows Clemson and FSU would give the SEC fits when it comes to head to head matchups. He lessened the importance of our better game against LSU and highlighted our USuCk loss to please SEC fans since most of them have bragging rights to their conference and not their W/L record.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is simply the mindless talking point du jour.

May 17, 2013, 11:37 AM

These guys, desperate to talk about anything, are pummeling this point.

Yes, the ACC is down right now.

No, you can't make any sweeping generalities about the state of the ACC for generations to come from this.

We suffer from a few down years, a proximity to SEC country and some unimagineative radio hosts.

null

LSU beat the #####!***

May 17, 2013, 11:43 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Chuck Oliver was ragging on the ACC again yesterday...

May 17, 2013, 11:51 AM

There is an old saying..."wining cures everything!" We just keeping beating the Auburns, LSU's, SC's, any any other SEC team we face in Bowl Games...the noise stops for us. It really is just that simple.

Actually LSU was the #3 team in the

May 17, 2013, 12:16 PM

$ec first division... aka West

who cares what he says???***

May 17, 2013, 12:26 PM

Yea, SCU, LSU, UGA, UF, and A&M werer all pretty

May 17, 2013, 1:14 PM

close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 2,042
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic