Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What is everyone's favorite Christmas finger food or sweet?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1,589

What is everyone's favorite Christmas finger food or sweet?

Dec 23, 2020, 1:42 PM

I am making sausage ball, cheese straws and peanut butter chocolate cookies. I am not sure what the wifey will make.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Booze***

Dec 23, 2020, 1:42 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Booze***

Dec 23, 2020, 1:43 PM

LOL mine was too for a long time.

I’d like to finger this Christmas sweet

Dec 23, 2020, 1:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: I’d like to finger this Christmas sweet

Dec 23, 2020, 1:46 PM

Not eat?

Dec 23, 2020, 1:47 PM

Eventually

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Dec 23, 2020, 1:50 PM

You know the old saying you got to lick it before you stick it.

wood

Dec 23, 2020, 2:03 PM [ in reply to I’d like to finger this Christmas sweet ]

shake dem snow-globes

Smelts.

Dec 23, 2020, 1:47 PM

Little fishes. Butterfly 'em, bread 'em, fry 'em, and add a little salt. Perfection.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smelts.

Sounds very good.

Schweddy Christmas Balls.

Dec 23, 2020, 1:48 PM

They're really tender.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to say. Up in PA with the in-laws its all the sweets.

Goot Lawd APM's MIL makes some sweets. And good ones too. AND she keeps good candy laying around. I mean, OK, 9 grandkids, but DAYUM. Between that and the beer drinkin' APM does up there, he puts on some poundage.

That won't be happening this year of course. No trip to PA.

Back in the day in Sakerlina it'd be coconut/dark chocolate/pecan balls or sausage balls. And my grandmom's (RIP) fruit cake. LAWD. A million calories in one slice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to say. Up in PA with the in-laws its all the sweets.

Dec 23, 2020, 1:53 PM

Those sound good too. When I quite drinking then I started craving sweet. I guess missing all that sugar in the booze.

What’s that thing... we used to eat it all the time back in the day.

Dec 23, 2020, 1:51 PM

Oh yeah, ppuussssyy.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chocolate covered Oreo Balls***

Dec 23, 2020, 1:55 PM

Re: Chocolate covered Oreo Balls***

Dec 23, 2020, 1:57 PM

Those sound great too. I also like the chocolate covered Ritz crackers with peanut butter.

Ummmm OK. ******

Dec 23, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Chocolate covered Oreo Balls*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

something specific you can only get at Christmas?

Dec 23, 2020, 2:23 PM

maybe candy canes or peppermint bark? All I can think of.

I'll go with peppermint bark.

sauerkraut balls

Dec 23, 2020, 2:30 PM

pain in the ### to make, but delicious

basically sauerkraut and corned beef and ham rolled in breadcrumbs and deepfried

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24499/sauerkraut-balls/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: sauerkraut balls

Dec 23, 2020, 2:38 PM

Deez nuts.

Re: sauerkraut balls

Dec 23, 2020, 2:39 PM [ in reply to sauerkraut balls ]

That sounds good too.

Bacon wrapped water chestnuts.....

Dec 23, 2020, 2:36 PM

1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
1?4 cup soy sauce
1?4 cup brown sugar
8 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise

Marinate the water chestnuts in soy sauce for 1 hour.
Drain.
Roll each chestnut in the brown sugar.
Wrap each chestnut with a piece of bacon.
Secure with a toothpick.
Arrange on a 2 cake racks in a shallow baking pan.
Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
Take out top rack bake at 400 degrees F for about 5 minutes or until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
NOTE: This can be prepared ahead of time and stored in refrigerator until ready to bake.
Me does this in air fryer.

Why not just BACON? The rest seems like a lot of work_

Dec 23, 2020, 3:48 PM

Albeit tasty.

ribs***

Dec 23, 2020, 3:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And whiskey

Dec 23, 2020, 4:00 PM

Ribs and whiskey makin? my mind feel tight
Whiskey makin? my body feel hot

I consider these a finger food

Dec 23, 2020, 3:58 PM

Man, back in the bank days somebody would always

Dec 23, 2020, 4:00 PM

show up with some of those from Hamby's. So good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sausage bawls

Dec 23, 2020, 4:02 PM

Haystacks (I call them reindeer antlers) chow mein noodles, melted butterscotch and p nuts
Crabbies—crab meat, old English cheese spread toasted on an English muffin

Definitely not those date and nut bawls covered in powdered sugar

Sausage balls, don't need nothin else.***

Dec 23, 2020, 4:44 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GATA.******

Dec 23, 2020, 4:46 PM

Chex mix

Dec 23, 2020, 5:39 PM

but not your momma's recipe. I have perfected mine over the years.

First rule is only four things in the mix and no substitutions.

Second rule is real butter and only the best Worcestershire Sauce - Lee & Perrins.

Third is McCormick garlic salt. If it has chives or anything green in your garlic salt, throw it away.

Easy peasy and you will have to make a 2nd batch immediately since you will eat the first batch so fast.

In a small pot - at medium low heat - put one stick of butter. Now do not let this butter do anything other than melt, no bubbling butter. Add 9 "running" teaspoons of said Worcestershire sauce - it must be properly shaken before you start to measure - shake it like your life depends upon it being well mixed up. 'Running' means fill a teaspoon flip it and keep the bottle going as you continue to fill and flip. I know this is an acquired skill, but after years of practice, I have become a professional teaspoon fill and fliper. Then add three teaspoons of McCormick garlic salt. These can be a little over full, but defintely not leveled off. This mixture just needs to be stirred and stirred until it the butter is melted and you cannot see any pieces of butter floating around.

You have completed the hard part, believe me. On to the ingredients:

There are four - and these have been written in stone so no subs. Wheat Chex, Corn Chex, Cherrios and pecans. Do not be tempted to buy the Honey Chex or Rice Chex I don't care what your wife says. Now you need a very large bowl as you are going to put all this goodness together. Did I say pre-heat your oven to 250? DO IT NOW! In the bowl - IN THIS ORDER - 2 cups of Cheerios, then 2 cups of Corn Chex, then 2 cups of Wheat Chex, then 3 (THREE) cups of pecans. I use the Kirkland pecans and they are great - they also have nine cups in each bag, so one bag makes three batches, so plan accordingly. With experience you will learn to get 2 boxes of Wheat Chex and Corn Chex and one large box of Cheerios along with three bags of pecans - this will make you 9 batches of this glorious stuff - which you will be giving away often or you will become the fat slob I have this year.

Time to take your buttery, Worcestershirey, garlic salty mix and slowly pour over and around and cover your bowl of the Chexes/Cheerios/nuts. Then take a spoon, a large ### spoon will be needed here, don't try that #### soup spoon, and stir this up - I mean stir it a lot - be sure your mixture is covered in that sauce - be careful not to stir violently though as you might lose some precious pieces and my dog loves that #### - then get our 2 (I meant to ask if you had 2, but hopefully you do) large cookie sheets. These need to be clean, not those old ones you never wipe off and have a lot of burnt crap all over them. Once you have split this up, shake the sheets to get the mixture spread out - the goal is to not have any pieces on top of others - using two sheets allows this easy spread out.

Into your oven and set the timer - "Hey Google, I need a 60 minute timer" - for one hour. Do not open the oven, do not swap the cookie sheets around or stir the mixture, this is set it and forget it time.

After 60 minutes take out and let cool. I know you want to eat them, but believe me, the taste is much better is you don't eat them hot. They also taste better after being in a Christmas tin for about 24 hours, but who has time for that?

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas lunge bakers!

I know TL/DR.

Lutz.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not good if eat too much it.***

Dec 23, 2020, 7:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m taking your word for it and making this happen today***

Dec 24, 2020, 8:42 AM [ in reply to Chex mix ]

You will be a hero.

Dec 24, 2020, 9:15 AM

Just remember all measurements are teaspoons not tablespoons. I made it one time without looking at my recipe and screwed up a whole batch.

Still ate it though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What temp on the bake?!?!?!

Dec 24, 2020, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Chex mix ]

Father G®

These things are important

Dec 24, 2020, 10:56 AM

it is in the post somewhere!

Meant to tag

Dec 24, 2020, 11:08 AM

fluffhead

I fingered it out

Dec 24, 2020, 11:39 AM

42 minutes to go!

My large bowl has a lid, so mine will be

Dec 24, 2020, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Chex mix ]

Shaken not stirred.....

There you go, mucking with the recipe -

Dec 24, 2020, 11:38 AM

don't blame me when it is not awesome.

;)

not sure how long I can wait for it to cool***

Dec 24, 2020, 11:41 AM

Sounds good! Prolly pairs well with smoky Scotches.***

Dec 24, 2020, 11:21 AM [ in reply to Chex mix ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D a m n right!***

Dec 24, 2020, 11:38 AM

Bacon wrapped dates

Dec 24, 2020, 9:38 AM

Take a pitted date, insert smoked almond.
Wrap in about 1/2 slice of bacon and pin it with a toothpick.

Repeat til you have a pan full. Be sure to use a pan with a nice lip on it for the grease.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or so, turn them at least once, until the bacon looks tasty.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1,589
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic