Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Check your mathematical privilege
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Check your mathematical privilege

Feb 12, 2021, 3:23 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-education-math-white-supremacy

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Check your mathematical privilege

Feb 12, 2021, 3:27 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 3:28 PM

I can’t even remotely begin to understand this. I mean lol wut?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Otherwise known as the

Feb 12, 2021, 3:30 PM

"Private School Full Enrollment Act Of 2021"

If the left doesn't turn this around, all that will happen is that the private schools will grow, and at some tipping point people will quit caring what the public schools do. "Fine, do what you like." 10 years on, blacks will be further isolated from economic reality, the blaming will be ramped up another step, around you go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Otherwise known as the

Feb 12, 2021, 3:41 PM

EXACTLY...

I say same thing below...

Here is the part some people just starting to understand:

Feb 12, 2021, 3:58 PM

For about 30 years, the percentage of enrollment in private schools has remained sort of steady. There has been a recent significant jump, and whether that is a one time reaction to covid policies or whether those policies were the last step in a tipping point remains to be seen, but it could be that a significant trend to privates has started. If so that new demand will bring creative ways of lowering the cost, creating even more enrollment.

If that happens, the govt won't sit still. It has already shown a desire to use schools as a social indoctrination platform, and they will not let people bypass that. There will be a cost imposed, probably a social cost, of attending private school. I won't try to predict here what that will be - any entity that has taken a dime of fed money has been told what to do and with whom to do it, so think along those lines - but the decision to bypass public school will come at some cost.

Be prepared.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s due to Covid. That much is obvious.***

Feb 12, 2021, 6:31 PM

Absolute #########....***

Feb 12, 2021, 3:34 PM

Re: Absolute horsechit***

Feb 12, 2021, 3:34 PM

They have already ruined the way math is being taught

Feb 12, 2021, 3:39 PM

can't wait to see how they screw it up even more.

Feb 12, 2021, 3:40 PM

Wow, unbelievable.

This is some of the crap I was talking about in this post: https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Stoking-the-race-war-2057843?tstart=0

Ultimately, this helps no one except the people promoting this BS, which is sad. They are likely doing this for $ and not for the good of the kids.

They say White supremacy culture infiltrates math classrooms in everyday teacher actions. Coupled with the beliefs that underlie these actions, they perpetuate educational harm on Black, Latinx, and multilingual students, denying them full access to the world of mathematics. The table below identifies the ways in which white supremacy shows up in math classrooms.

We see white supremacy culture show up in the mathematics classroom even as we carry out our professional responsibilities outlined in the California Standards for the Teaching Profession (CSTP). Using CSTPas a framework, we see white supremacy culture in the mathematics classroom can show up when: the focus is on getting the “right” answer.

Let's run this concept fast forward.

Blacks are now being taught math is a part of white supremacy. What will happen? Blacks will get even worse at math. What happens in the workplace? People actually have to know how to use math. The result: blacks can't get/keep jobs.

But, the victimhood creators love this - keep the blacks dumb, even makes them dumber. And the race hustlers can keep inventing and selling rationale as to why it is and how to fix it.

Are they insinuating blacks can't solve math problems?

Feb 12, 2021, 4:01 PM

1+1 has an answer, it can't be 3, not in this universe. To say math is racist because it has a definite answer is the most desperate thing I've heard today.

Were the brilliant ladies at NASA, the subjects of the book "Hidden Figures", taught the wrong kind of math? This is a total insult to all blacks, and is so incredibly racist. Basically, we have to change math so blacks don't feel oppressed by an inability to find a definitive answer? Systemic racism much?

Re: Are they insinuating blacks can't solve math problems?

Feb 12, 2021, 4:03 PM

To be fair, that was the first reason listed. They list about 20...

Struggling to get beyond that one unfortunately.

Feb 12, 2021, 4:12 PM

This type of lunacy should turn the heads of anyone who believes systemic racism doesn't exist. I checked out the panel of "experts" pushing this initiative. Of the 13 contributors, 2 are black.

How exactly is the objectivity of mathematics racist? I'm going to read this stuff as I'm intrigued, but wow.

So quickly found this:

Feb 12, 2021, 4:20 PM

Ways White Supremacy shows itself in mathematics:

1) "Students are required to show their work"
2) "Grading practices are focused lack of knowledge"
3) "Expectations are not met"
4) "Teachers enculturated in the US teach math the way they learned it"

What kind of bizarro BS is this?

Re: Struggling to get beyond that one unfortunately.

Feb 12, 2021, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Struggling to get beyond that one unfortunately. ]

I know...it's crazy. The systemic racism is in everyone's face, and it is coming from the left...

The history of math is actually quite interesting. Read a book on it not too long ago. One point...no society has ever become literate without first becoming numerate (that is, knowing how to define and use numbers).

Believe it or not, inventing Zero was a big deal. It is thought zero was discovered in India around 500 BC.

Geometry was created due to the need to divide farming lands.

When you don't have phones to look at all day, and you have to sit around and THINK, people can think up some amazing things!!

Good Lord I hate postmodernism.***

Feb 12, 2021, 4:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Double Ewe Tee Eff?

Feb 12, 2021, 4:24 PM

Getting the right answer is racist?

Well, being an engineer getting a right answer can sometimes be the difference in life or death.

Can't wait to see what kind of buildings there will be in the future.

Standing by for the Majority Response

Feb 12, 2021, 4:41 PM

Where are they on this one?

Tobias27772 soccerkrzy® Tigerbalm1® Catahoula® FBCoachSC®

I bet Balm is not buying into this.

Not sure what you're asking for here.

Feb 12, 2021, 4:46 PM

Upon reading this, this appears completely ridiculous. I would wager everyone here agrees with that sentiment.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Standing by for the Majority Response

Feb 12, 2021, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Standing by for the Majority Response ]

I noticed there wasn't a single reply from any of our house lefties. The silence is deafening. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Standing by for the Majority Response ]

OK,

I wanted some time to research this a bit because I knew it could not be as ridiculous as Fox News would make out - it wasn't.

But it was ridiculous. I read through what I could get my hands on though much of it was cut and pasted from article to article. All I can tell you is that it seems to be one of many optional workshops offered in Oregon (the kind that math teachers won't sign up for).

There were one or two nuggets of good info, but they were things that would help any student and had nothing to do with racism in education.

Look, you conservatives can use this type of thing to paint ALL liberals as wacked out and to feel better about yourselves, but I think it is more constructive to realize that both conservatives and liberals have people on their end of the political spectrum that think and say things that the most of us find ridiculous. This is one on our side of the scale.

Feb 12, 2021, 5:37 PM

Feb 12, 2021, 5:42 PM

I don't think that is true. It seems that way because the crazy stuff gets all of the media attention.

I would predict that the material in question here will be viewed by Oregon teachers with almost as much skepticism (& resistance) as it is here. There is often quite a bit of space between what a state department of education thinks should happen and what actually happens in the classroom.

That is not always a good thing, but in this instance . . .

Feb 13, 2021, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Standing by for the Majority Response ]

Here is the thing...you do not see this type of information in your echo chamber. Thankfully you looked at the post.

But, I have seen this same topic come up years ago. As someone who had tons of math in college, helped my kids through calculus (the oldest graduating MIT with a 4.0), tutored at-risk kids, and am in a business where math plays a major role in most of our business, I pay attention to this sort of thing. Common core was a complete joke as implemented in NC. My middle son (majoring in engineering with a 3.8) still complains about how he was taught multiplication.

Nothing can substitute for WORK. For example, you just have to memorize basic multiplication tables - there is no way around it. Flash cards, whatever, it just requires effort.

Black kids will never improve as a group until these (and this is ONE example) types of crazy theories and excuses for having no individual responsibility are eliminated. But, the leftists will cry "that's racist."

So, reap what you sow.

Apparently I'm part of some Majority Response?

Feb 12, 2021, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Standing by for the Majority Response ]

Dude, I know you're an idiot, but stop being so much of an idiot.

About the actual article, this is stupid, I'm a PE, showing your work is legally required for a lot of cases.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: Double Ewe Tee Eff?

Feb 12, 2021, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Double Ewe Tee Eff? ]

ZJ,

To be fair and accurate, the material questions the EMPHASIS on getting the right answer. This idea has a long history, especially in earlier grades. The point is to get the kids to understand the process first and then to get the correct answer. If all that the teacher focuses on is the right answer, some students won't understand the process that leads to the right answer. It can also discourage the kids from thinking outside of the box or trying to get an answer (for fear of getting the "wrong" answer).

The correct answer is not thrown out of the picture. It is just one part of the picture. This approach can be helpful for lots of kids - of all colors and ethnicities.

Feb 12, 2021, 4:50 PM

The answer is to quit testing, have no standards and pump more money into public "education." I feel that blacks are equally as capable as any other race to achieve excellence in mathematics, science and any other area of learning.The coin of achievement is time, effort and opportunity. If I were black, I would feel terribly insulted that it is now being expressed that getting the "right" answer to a math problem is somehow a racist issue. The real racists are the progressive whites who feel the need to destroy standards and spout such nonsense. Obviously they assume that blacks are somehow intellectually inferior to whites. I do not share that view, but do feel just because blacks are underrepresented in many fields, the answer is not to expect less, but to expect the same standard. The reason so few blacks are represented in engineering, law, medicine and the sciences is not due to the way the subject matter is taught.

This is a vexing problem, but education is the ticket out. Education has to be valued and embraced, not devalued and watered down.

Feb 12, 2021, 5:13 PM

Agree 100% - Education is the ticket. Prior to that happening in a wide spread way, there has to be some culture shift one way or another to allow some black students to achieve and be looked upon favorably by peers.

Catahoula® a very reasonable response. Nice to agree!

I wish I had the free time to be outraged about BS

Feb 12, 2021, 6:30 PM

like racism in math like these people do. This is where liberals and SJW lose people. Is there racism in white america? Absolutely. But $hit like this is not even close to racist.

it seems pretty racist to me***

Feb 12, 2021, 6:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2021, 7:31 PM

Thank God, I know MATH!

Feb 12, 2021, 10:28 PM

I have always wanted my accountant to find the correct answer. How white of me!! I should only care that he understands the process and not be so concerned about the right answer. When I’m audited by the iRS I’ll just explain that they should not be overly concerned about finding the right answer. It’s only math.

As a math major,

Feb 13, 2021, 2:13 AM

This is just nonsense. Let's hope this never passes legislation anywhere.

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic