Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Taggart on the hot, hot seat.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 1

Taggart on the hot, hot seat.

Oct 22, 2019, 5:57 PM

Rumors are persistent that Boosters have come up with the money to buy Taggart out and to hire a big name coach at top dollar.

Some of y'all know I enjoye the coaching carousel, even if it doesn't involve my favorite teams. (I first visited TigerNet when y'all were searching for a coach that ended up being Tommy Bowden. I've been following the coaching search at least 10 years before that.)

I'd love to have a rational discussion with some objective bystanders about this, if y'all are interested.

First, I am not at all convinced the rumors of the buyout are true. But, even if they are, I am just laughing at the rumors about his replacement.

Here is what I am hearing, which I find laughable:
Urban Meyer is Plan A. If they can't hire them Brian Kelly is Plan B.

Both are absurd. Neither would ever consider FSU as their next job. (Unless some booster comes up with an 8 year, fully guaranteed, 100 million dollar contract. Which ain't gonna happen.)

So, realistically, who should FSU consider as Willie's replacement? (And, when I look at the list of guys I can come up with, I see no reason to fire Willie and hire one of these guys.)

Here is my list of the range of coaches that FSU could attract: Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin, Mike Norvell, Josh Huepel (if the OU job isn't next on his job tree), Sonny Dykes.

None of those, with the possible exception of Leach, have a resume that is any better than Taggart's when FSU hire him.

So, seriously, who could FSU reasonably go after if they fire Willie?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Taggart on the hot, hot seat.

Oct 22, 2019, 6:04 PM

I don't believe they could pull Urban and I don't think Brian Kelly would leave ND (or sure if you guys should really want him).

Also not a fan of the names you listed off. That being said, I dont know who you would get to replace Tag. I would keep him for one more year if I was FSU but start the courting process now on who you are trying to get.

Taggart is not a quality coach, he has basically failed at every stop. I think FSU was very publicly only looking for a minority head coach at the time and he fit the bill. The whole thing just seemed weird. My 2 cents.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2019, 6:06 PM

Jeff Scott

Art Briles

Oct 22, 2019, 6:10 PM

FSU and Art Briles are a match made in "somewhere"! He wins a lot of football games and knows offense like nobody's business! Plus, his son is already there.

Maybe he has learned from his bad decisions at Baylor! Can't really argue that he won a ton(no ships) of football games though.

What you think Brett?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Art Briles

Oct 22, 2019, 6:42 PM

My thoughts on Art Briles are way too complex to be discussed in a message board. I don't think FSU would touch him. Hiring Kendall was extremely controversial. Hiring Briles would be akin to hiring Hugh Freeze. Not gonna happen.

But, as a coach, Art figured something out with offense that defenses still haven't caught up with. Look at the Head Coaches now who are from his tree. (Lincoln Riley just being the most famous.)

Oct 22, 2019, 7:57 PM

Saterfield at Louisville will be a hot name in a few years. Dude can coach and he is clean. Is Louisville a place to stay fir your entire coaching career? I don’t know.

Oct 22, 2019, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Art Briles ]

I thought Riley was a direct descendant of Leach.

he is***

Oct 23, 2019, 2:27 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Carlsbad,

Oct 22, 2019, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Taggart on the hot, hot seat. ]

Please don't say that again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Carlsbad,

Oct 22, 2019, 9:03 PM

True. Its what I would do, but yeah I agree..

Oct 22, 2019, 6:07 PM

Lane Kiffin would jump on it I think. But do you want him?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your comments on Lane Kiffin.

Oct 22, 2019, 6:43 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Re: Your comments on Lane Kiffin.

Oct 22, 2019, 8:31 PM

Les Miles??? He’s still got some miles left on him. Pun intended

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2019, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Taggart on the hot, hot seat. ]

Still not sure if Kiffin is still spending his time in the wilderness in lower paid coaching jobs as middle finger to his ex wife so she doesn't get as much money. We'll see him again as HC at a major school but I still don't think he's ready for the move just yet.

Oct 22, 2019, 11:41 PM

Not sure where all the Lane Kiffin love comes from to be honest. He has had one pretty good season as a Head coach, and that was at FAU and I have said it for two years, the secret to that was Kendal Briles. Kid is Lincoln Riley good as a play caller in my opinion, FSU just is a smoldering tire fire right now. I get he comes with some baggage associated with the Briles name, but I would take a chance on a young Kendal Briles over Lane Kiffin any day and it would cost you a lot less. But out of clean Head coaches I would go after Matt Campbell. Solid coach who is probably tired of getting everyone else's leavings to coach up at Iowa St. My opinion, dude is a really, really good young coach.

I would look at....

Oct 22, 2019, 6:27 PM

Matt Ruhle at Baylor. Did great at Temple, now 7-0 third year. Top coaches normally have a breakout season by year 3. I think Matt Campbell at Iowa State is probably better than Taggart. Same with Fleck Minnesota, although they haven't played anyone with much of a pulse.

All 3 are good considerations... Good calls.***

Oct 23, 2019, 12:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would look at....

Oct 24, 2019, 11:19 AM [ in reply to I would look at.... ]

^ Smart man.

Ruhle is a very, VERY interesting option. I want to see how he does in the next 4 games as the first 1/2 of the season is kinda fluffy.

PJ Fleck probably will not leave the north and at this point in his career, he might be a bit too risky. Sure he did a stint at TB (eek, under Schiano) but I think his recruiting roots are Chicago/Lakes area. Might be tough in the panhandle.

The other thing is this... try an interim coach in Biles. Still, I think that Taggert will likely have until early next season and then be let go in mid October of 2020.

Why would FSU boosters be considering Taggert's buyout

Oct 22, 2019, 6:31 PM

then turn around and "allow" Brian Kelly to be his replacement.He's constantly in the hotseat himself every other year. Sounds like you've been hangin around TNET toooooo long, fella.

Oct 22, 2019, 6:33 PM

Taggart is obviously not the answer so I would say anybody is better.
Herm Edwards would get the culture better imo.
Seth Littrell is a young coach with promise.
PJ Fleck is doing doing some great things at Minnesota.
Matt Campbell could be the answer imo.

Thanks for the list. My thoughts.

Oct 22, 2019, 6:48 PM

Herm probably not interested. ASU will surely be his last job.

I like Seth Littrell. Should have mentioned him. But, his resume is not as good as Taggart's was when we hired him.

I am impressed with PJ Fleck. Have followed his career for several years. Wouldn't mind having him "row the boat" to Tallahassee. But, has he ever coached in the south? Isn't he a midwestern guy through and through? Different culture in Big Ten country and GA/FL/AL.

Matt Campbell has been a hot name for years. He's been offered, or at least rumored, several jobs in the past few years. I doubt FSU would be his first choice if he wants to leave ISU.

It’s not about who has a better resume.

Oct 22, 2019, 7:48 PM

Just ask Terry Don Philips.

Re: Thanks for the list. My thoughts.

Oct 22, 2019, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Thanks for the list. My thoughts. ]

Terry Bowden is on our backup- staff . Is that what you're hinting at ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

The coach I don't want you to get is Dino Babers.***

Oct 22, 2019, 6:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: The coach I don't want you to get is Dino Babers.***

Oct 22, 2019, 6:50 PM

Up until this year, I loved Dino. When Cuse hired him I thought he was a great hire. Is this just a down year, or was he successful because of his QB?

BTW, he is another guy from the Briles tree.

Even if he was only successful because of a player

Oct 22, 2019, 6:55 PM

The players he would inherit and could get makes that a moot point. FSU vs Syracuse recruiting? Difference in 1st world and 3rd world nations.

Yeah, you're right. You don't really want him.***

Oct 22, 2019, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: The coach I don't want you to get is Dino Babers.*** ]

There's something in these hills.

or Satterfield.***

Oct 22, 2019, 9:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

FSU could and should go after Matt Rhule***

Oct 22, 2019, 6:39 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

It is my understanding Baylor...

Oct 22, 2019, 6:52 PM

...unloaded the Brinks Truck to get Rhule. I would love for him to be the NC at FSU. But, I gotta wonder if he ever decided to leave Baylor would FSU be the best job offer he would get? And, why is FSU a better job than Baylor right now? (That is how far and how quickly FSU has fallen.)

Ruhle was set to be the Jets head coach last year...

Oct 22, 2019, 8:17 PM

only thing that kept him from the job was his insistence on picking his own assistants and management balked at that.

So yes, he would leave Baylor. FSU is still a very attractive job with a built-in recruiting advantage just by being in Florida.

Re: It is my understanding Baylor...

Oct 22, 2019, 9:35 PM [ in reply to It is my understanding Baylor... ]

FSU is always a better job than Baylor.

In the Big 12, they are always going to be little brother to UT and OU. Their peer is TCU.

FSU is a premier program and can be top tier ACC again with the right coach. When traditional power programs fall on hard times, they are just dormant but will rise again one day. Same for USC (the real one). Only exception is Tennessee, who seems to have been permanently relegated to the mid-tier inhabited by schools like Miss St, NC State, etc.

Oct 22, 2019, 6:40 PM

If Taggert gets the Noles to a bowl game, give him another year. If he can get FSU 9 or 10 wins in 2020, then maybe his plan is starting to work.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What plan???***

Oct 22, 2019, 7:53 PM

Oct 22, 2019, 6:45 PM

Let me say this...it is in our best interest for this conference to be as competitive as possible. That means your Seminoles need to revitalize this team. I believe Coach Taggart is a decent, honorable man and has had to rebuild from the ground up and it’s going to take time, How much time is the million dollar question. I know how proud your program is and the boosters are anxious for a return to the good ole days. I believe FSU could lure a big name coach but any coach has to have time. So, you’re right back to Willie Taggert...stick with him and the culture he’s building or start over yet again with a highly paid, Big name coach. This makes me think back to how fortunate we were and are that our AD had the guts and courage to believe in a young WR coach when almost everyone wanted him gone....there’s something to choosing a horse and sticking with that horse. Willie Taggart should get his contracted time and then reevaluate. Just my thoughts.

Oct 22, 2019, 6:58 PM

I agree. Jimbo left a burning dumpster on a train that was crashing. Taggart doesn't deserve the heat he is getting. FSU should give him time... look away for a few years then evaluate.

Speaking of Jimbo, how many of his wins were due to (1) a fresh post-Bowden face and (2) a great QB. Is he another Amato - a head coaching career thanks to a great QB?

Can you please fill us in a little more

Oct 22, 2019, 8:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Taggart on the hot, hot seat. ]

on the “culture” Taggert is “building”? I’d love to learn more about this.

Re: Can you please fill us in a little more

Oct 22, 2019, 11:13 PM

Whatever it is, it has to be better than Jumbo's!!

Re: Can you please fill us in a little more

Oct 23, 2019, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Can you please fill us in a little more ]

Building ANY culture is better than what he inherited. He’s sent some guys packing, suspended others and I believe he’s st least trying.

Next game is a must win...

Oct 22, 2019, 6:51 PM

FSU COULD win the next 4. That would make them 7-4 I think. I understand that this may seem unlikely, but a real possibility. He needs to win one at a time to stay afloat.

Lose this week and bye-bye.

For the next coach, I see guys turning programs around all over the place. The question is...
Who is interested in FSU? You need someone who is "all-in" to borrow a phrase.

Guarantee $10 million/year for 10 years...

Oct 22, 2019, 6:56 PM

And I bet Jimbo would return...and aTm would dance a jig! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2019, 7:01 PM

Scott Frost would be one heck of a hire if FSU can pull him away from Nebraska!

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They tried to get him before they settled on Taggart...

Oct 22, 2019, 8:19 PM

He was set on going back to his alma mater. So I don't think he's a possibility.

And yes, I was very glad when he turned it down...I think he will turn Nebraska around in a year or two.

Oct 22, 2019, 7:13 PM

I believe William Muschamp will probably be available at the end of the year. If I were you, I’d offer him about 70 million over 5 years to start! He’s an excellent recruiter and he already had ties in Florida. I think he and Taggart would be a fair swap!

Who is your Wide Receivers coach?

Oct 22, 2019, 7:13 PM

Just kidding. Will Healy at Charlotte seems like an up and comer, and may be had for cheaper than some of the coaches listed above.

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

Lawd no on Lane Kiffin. Probably the only reason he has

Oct 22, 2019, 7:15 PM

not gotten in trouble at FAU is nobody cares.

The Pirate would be an interesting hire. He would have to build a recruiting network, but there is enough homegrown talent in Florida to make it work for awhile.

As you said, I don't see Urbane, and for sure don't see Brian Kelly coming. He already has the Golden Goose, er Dome, at Notre Dame.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2019, 7:17 PM

I know he's not having the hottest 2 years in College Station, but I think Jimbo Fisher would be a good hire for you guys. He has a national championship and a solid resumé.

What about Will Muschamp?***

Oct 22, 2019, 7:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t buy the rumor that boosters have raised the money to buy him out.

Oct 22, 2019, 8:21 PM

I get that fans are frustrated, but I would like to see Taggart get a chance to show what he can do. I thought it was a strange hire for a proud program like FSU to bring in a guy without more experience, but as we know with Dabo that isn’t always necessary.

I like what I’ve seen out of Taggart in terms of his focus on doing things the right way. I respect what he’s trying to do, and I believe that the recovery from what Jimbo left is going to take longer than many people initially believed. My question is, will FSU give him time?

The biggest thing working against him will be the decline in attendance. It’s hard for the AD not to notice that.

I think FSU is a great job, so if you find yourselves looking for a coach, you should be able to choose from many qualified candidates.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Right. Those top-5 rated recruiting classes may take a while

Oct 22, 2019, 8:36 PM

to recover from.

No one is saying that FSU doesn’t have some talented players.***

Oct 22, 2019, 9:51 PM

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Taggert inherited more than “some” talented players.

Oct 22, 2019, 10:13 PM

So what has he been waiting for?

***Tommy Bowen would be a nice fit for F$U******

Oct 22, 2019, 8:25 PM

Chad Morris would win instantly at FSU

Oct 22, 2019, 8:37 PM

with all of the talent that simply walks in the front door. I hope you guys don't consider him.

Why are you so convinced that Morris would excel there?

Oct 22, 2019, 8:38 PM

I’m not convinced he’s head coaching material.

Re: Why are you so convinced that Morris would excel there?

Oct 22, 2019, 8:47 PM

You’re not convinced CM is head coaching material, but you want to see more from Willie Taggart. The Chad has no talent and Taggart has the # 6 rated talented team in the country. Let that sink in for a minute. ??

Why are you so convinced that Taggert just needs more time?***

Oct 22, 2019, 8:48 PM [ in reply to Why are you so convinced that Morris would excel there? ]

He's not.***

Oct 22, 2019, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Why are you so convinced that Morris would excel there? ]

Re: Why are you so convinced that Morris would excel there?

Oct 23, 2019, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Why are you so convinced that Morris would excel there? ]

I am convinced he is definitely not.

Terry Bowden***

Oct 22, 2019, 9:05 PM

Oct 22, 2019, 9:21 PM

Well end of next year Kirvy not so Smart will be available. He'll give you 10 wins with an L to Clemson annually if you'll settle for that

So the choking Braves are rumored to stopping the chopping. Hope the activists don't head your way

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2019, 9:28 PM

Up front - I think the rumors of "big time boosters" fronting the cash to buyout Willie Taggart are complete nonsense. One of FSU's biggest problems is that they don't have deep pockets for the athletic department and unless there is some hidden booster with Texas oil money, I don't see any boosters spending this kind of cash for a coaches buyout. Otherwise why wouldn't those same boosters have fronted some money to improve FSU's facilities? It would definitely be a better application of their money than pissing it away to get rid of a 2nd year coach.

I honestly believe FSU's fall has been in the works for some time - well before Willie Taggart arrived. The program is only 2 years removed from Jimbo Fisher's 7-year entitlement culture. Eventually that culture started to eat the program from within and Jimbo left right as it was starting to crater. That is a real mess to clean up and from what I can tell it looks like Willie is doing his best to fix it. Is Willie Taggart a good coach? I don't know but I didn't think he was a good hire when it happened. But in fairness, I think the FSU folks need to give Willie 4 years to see if he can pull things together. Otherwise, FSU is going to turn into Tennessee where no reasonable coaching candidate will want the job because they all see they won't have a fair chance to establish a program. The worst thing a program can do is get in a cycle of constant coaching turnover looking for instant victory. It is very rare that new coaches come into a mess like existed upon Jimbo's exit and are championship contenders the next season or within a couple of seasons. Patience is required to build a program that has the foundation to last.

Having said all that, if FSU starts looking for another coach I think they should swallow their pride and go for a young guy that has a proven record at a smaller program (similar to Satterfield when he got hired by Louisville).

One last comment - just about every team that dreams of a coaching change mentions Mike Leach. I have never understood why everyone is so high on Mike Leach. Don't get me wrong - the man is definitely entertaining but he has only won 61% of his games as a head coach, has never won a conference championship (has won 2 Division championships) and has only won 50% of his bowl games after being a head coach for 15 years in big boy football. I just don't think Leach is worth all the hype or the money some schools would throw at him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2019, 11:46 PM

Dave Clawson would be a good hire

Oct 22, 2019, 11:52 PM

Joe Brady at LSU may be ready in a couple of years, but I think he's under 30 now. He's the passing coordinator/wide receivers coach and came from the NO Saints. Probably too young now though.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks to all who replied.

Oct 23, 2019, 2:23 PM

I don't think Taggart will be fired this year. I wanted to get the perspective from an unbiased group of folks. Y'all were great.

If he is fired, I'll revisit this, as FSU looks for a replacement, on this forum.

Thanks again.

If I were you guys... I'd get the guy from Charlotte and

Oct 23, 2019, 2:29 PM

not look back

let him build

Quote from FSU AD on ESPN

Oct 24, 2019, 11:02 AM

"If [Taggart] were hit by a bus tomorrow, we would not target Coach Meyer, period. I say that with all due respect to Coach Meyer, but we would not target Steve Spurrier, either."

Interestingly, he is not ruling out McElwain, Muschamp, or Zook!

If those last three names are truly on that AD's list,

Oct 24, 2019, 1:22 PM

then HE needs to be gone even before Taggart!

Replies: 67
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic