Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question - Could any of you finally say “I’m done” and stop going...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 74
| visibility 1

Question - Could any of you finally say “I’m done” and stop going...

Jun 16, 2020, 7:56 AM

To Clemson games and/or follow Clemson football?

I’ve long since lost my childish enthusiasm for UGA and college athletics in general. I bet I go to more Clemson games and events now. I should have been a Tiger fan from the beginning.

I am quite close to just being pushed over the edge as I know the reality of college campuses and the poisonous atmosphere that now pervades on them.

And, these players today and the “Gotcha” mentality and thought police. The players today - If folks truly knew...

Kinda hoping attendance craters across the college football landscape - and not only because of covid19

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Certainly, my enthusiasm has waned.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:01 AM

Football is no longer an escape from politics as it has now become a major political arena, with the same "Gotcha" mentality.

There is no doubt a dark cloud sitting over all sports right now.

I am hoping my excitement will come back, but as of now I am in a bit of mourning over the possibility of leaving sports fanhood.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Certainly, my enthusiasm has waned.

Jun 16, 2020, 9:35 AM

Yep, what Tigersense said.
My enthusiam has waned and if college sports and athletes becomes more NFL I'm sure I'll find myself only watch playoffs and tuning out the noise.

Jun 16, 2020, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Certainly, my enthusiasm has waned. ]

Tigersense I agree with you almost every word in your post. Sports seems to no longer be as important to me because it has become so political and so politically correct. There are other things I can do instead like fishing, playing golf, or just spending time with my family. If ESPN and other networks do not get rid of these politicians so called analysts they are going to lose their fan base. All they have to do is look at how NASCAR is self destructing because they for got which fan base pays the bills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 17, 2020, 2:49 PM

That is exactly how Nascar lost me, and I've never looked back, and the few times I have tried to watch a race after I had been gone for awhile, I found that I had lost most all my interest of fast cars going around and around in a circle. And my interest has gone also bc I don't know any of the drivers now, and that personal attachment is what holds fans to a sport. Turn off college FB for a couple of season, then try to have that same excitement, you won't bc you don't know the players of you team anymore, and I am close to giving up college sports. I will forever love Clemson, but I could lose my love for Clemson sports. The money grabbers just don't understand that they alone are snatching the fans interest from the fans of the game and refusing to see that without those thousands and thousands of stadium fans, that TV interest of the games will go away also bc it was bc of the fans in the stands that made it possible for TV viewing to be a money maker also. Lose the stadium fans, and the TV fans will go away 10 faster than it took for them to build it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 9:50 PM [ in reply to Certainly, my enthusiasm has waned. ]

I actually remembered I could do woodwork and paint the house and deck without paying someone else to do it.. I sorta like it again.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand

Jun 16, 2020, 8:03 AM

With y'alls
Player arrests each summer
Great recruiting, disappointing player development
Constant under-performing
Losing to c0cks at home....

Those are secondary

Jun 16, 2020, 8:13 AM

and a peripheral annoyance that does not factor into this. As a kid, yes, that mattered. That is just a part of UGA athletics in general.

I am sensing that college football is about to go into crisis mode.

And, I kinda am looking forward to it

Well frankly, everything has gone into ‘crisis mode’.

Jun 16, 2020, 9:42 AM

College sports is no exception.

The older I get the more I don't care for the crowds.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:06 AM

That would be the thing that kept me away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: The older I get the more I don't care for the crowds.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:13 AM

Crowds and traffic are a deterrent. Most college is still not but behavior generally at pro had me stop going years ago. Grown guys getting in fights kin the stands is just nonsense

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question - Could any of you finally say “I’m done” and stop going...

Jun 16, 2020, 8:06 AM

I had the same thoughts- especially after reading the Mike Gundy shirt issue.

I’m ready for the NFL to accept 18 year olds and colleges to have the same entrance requirements for athletes as other students. I would still love to watch and would still go. The “student athlete” was ebbing away anyway. I am beyond mad that young men getting a free education think it’s ok to go to twitter to complain about a shirt their coach is wearing. I am beyond sad that anyone in public thinks that is acceptable.

this attitude is why "im done" with TigerNet

Jun 16, 2020, 8:39 AM

i just cant take this nonsense any more

Jun 16, 2020, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Question - Could any of you finally say “I’m done” and stop going... ]

The sad thing is they either don’t care what we think or they are just oblivious to what we think and how we fill. We pay the money and that’s why the even exists. It seems like they have forgotten who pays the bills.

Is the Sports Gravy Train slowly coming to a stop or is it heading for a disastrous derailment???. What does the future hold??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would vote for both those options***

Jun 16, 2020, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Question - Could any of you finally say “I’m done” and stop going... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I would vote for both those options***

Jun 16, 2020, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Question - Could any of you finally say “I’m done” and stop going... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jun 16, 2020, 8:17 AM

Over a little tiny bit of controversy and argumentation ?

Not on your life .

Go Tigers
Beat 2020 !

DB23

Do you agree that...

Jun 16, 2020, 8:10 PM

Gundy should be castigated and forced to grovel for wearing an OAN t-shirt?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 8:22 AM

Yes!

Just tired of all the drama. It's no fun knowing the money spent on traveling to games, tix, etc. Is going toward player's and administration that basically had just assume tear up and spit on the United States flag as look at it. Liberals have a different set of values and lifestyle than I, and I do not plan to compromise mine.

I think most have know Clemson was heading down a liberal hell hole for several years now, just haven't wanted to admit it. I know I didn't. Hate it though, but I'll say this whole covid thing has taught me I can survive without it. I dont even look for sports anymore on t.v. , hopefully I can sustain that through the Fall.

I was a Clemson fan throughout the '90s

Jun 16, 2020, 8:23 AM

If I was going to quit being a fan, it would have happened back then.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:32 AM

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/scoreboard-on-american-football-field-yards-to-go-and-qtr-picture-id155381593?s=612x612

Did it work?

Jun 16, 2020, 8:33 AM

The modern lefts philosophy is to convert or destroy. That means we will either have football games full of Marxist virtue signalling or they will attempt to destroy football all together. Either way the days of just enjoying a football game and not being made to feel like a racist piece of crap who lives in the worst country on earth are over. If you enjoy this feeling and want it to continue to permeate every aspect of your life then you know which party to vote for in November.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:40 AM

If the games are still played at Clemson and the gameday experience stays as good as it is, I expect to be going to college football as long as I am able to do so. The total experience of gameday at my alma mater is a huge part of my attachment to the sport. And I've found that I always enjoy the actual games I see live a lot more than the ones I only see on TV. I also enjoy the collegiate experience at away games when Clemson is playing. I am part of the crowd of 25-40,000 road Tigers who attend 3-5 away games every year.

I don't get the fans who seem put off of college football by the sort of immaterial conditions that are said to discourage their support. Someone is going to stop going to Clemson football games because they now call the centerpiece of campus OLD MAIN? Or because the players are making money off their twitter accounts? People who fall into those camps cannot possibly think of themselves as anything but almost purely political animals.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s not just about that.

Jun 16, 2020, 4:41 PM

Speaking for myself, my decreased interest is mostly due to all of the money involved. The revenue generated from TV, seat licenses, and ticket prices has led to insane facility budgets and coaches’ salaries. Now we have players feeling “taken advantage of” and entitled. Players calling for payment, and even for building names to be changed, just because they play football? No thanks.

I don’t want college sports to be a de facto minor league system, but that’s what division 1 football has become.

I’ll always pull for Clemson, but a sport should never risk becoming more important than the school it represents. If it does, we have lost our way and I want no part of it.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jun 16, 2020, 8:40 AM

I'm with you on this. I hope all sports go down the drain. I'm sick of the back and forth with MLB. Players not willing to give anything to make the season happen. NFL I am sick of all the political and racial bs. NBA players say they are not into it because of the protests and worrying. Yezh you guys have really been held back and discriminated against while you live in million dollar houses and are set for life. I hope they all hit the capper and get a taste of what it's like in the real world. At this point even the college season could be canceled and I really wouldn't care. So much entitlement and so much bs. I have been without sports this long so I really don't miss it any more. I think I will spend my fall in the woods and on the water. Screw all these pro athletes and their political agendas and bs. I certainly don't need them to entertain me.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:45 AM

Forgot to include if there is no college football I feel the same way. Love my tigers and will always support them but other things are more important to me now than any sport.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:46 AM

No, but I'm about to say, I'm Done with Tigernet. I'm sick of the political talk. It doesn't belong here, at least not to the current extent. No fun anymore.

College football is about the only sport I really watch

Jun 16, 2020, 8:50 AM

and keep track of anymore. The older I get the less I care about sports in general.

As a Clemson grad I'll probably always keep track of Clemson football (and to a much lessor degree the other Clemson sports) but the biggest reason I go to the games is to tailgate with my former roommates and friends.

In all honesty, I don't know how many more years I'll be going to the games. As my wife and I have gotten older those hot noon games in September (and even into October) are too much for us and we have started skipping them. So we are probably missing two of the seven home games every year anyway. When you start adding up the cost of attending games (IPTAY donation + ticket costs + gameday expenses) it can be a bit much on a retired income - especially when just about every Clemson game is televised and can be viewed for free.

Truthfully, if IPTAY tells me that this COVID-19 social distancing thing is going to prohibit me from getting season tickets this year, I really won't be upset. That'll just leave me with more funds to spend on other priorities...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me it's not even college football: just Clemson football

Jun 16, 2020, 9:05 AM

Over the years I have slowly eliminated sports from my world...I haven't watched an MLB or NFL game in years...can't remember the last time I turned on the TV to watch a college basketball game (even Clemson)...never was interested in the NBA or NHL.

For a while it was just college football but now I don't really have the interest in other games. Just Clemson. Years ago I would have thought you were nuts to say I wouldn't get season tickets every year and go to every game, but now I'm lucky to get to a game every other year, I check the score on my phone for weaker opponents about 90 minutes after kickoff and watch the other games on TV.

I'd be lying if I said that I couldn't imagine just stopping interest in sports in general. There is just so much baggage that comes along with it, and so much else to do. Don't get me wrong...I'm not there right now...still love Clemson football and I marvel at the program that Dabo has put together...the types of players he brings into the program, both from a character and talent perspective.

null

Consider sports (music & all entertainment) superficially

Jun 16, 2020, 9:28 AM

It allows enjoyment. Too much news and social media clutter things up and inhibit enjoyment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 9:11 AM

Yes and no.

I will always follow Clemson football. I don't have to be in the stadium, but I plan to be on campus on game day for as long as I am able.

Tailgating with friends, heading downtown for a beer or two.

I have no issue with watching the game at the Esso Club or a downtown establishment. Honestly, around kickoff of the A&M game last year I was wishing I was in an a/c bar downtown.

It's a 100 mile trek for me from my home north of Atlanta to my parking spot at Clemson. I'll be there on game day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I will always love Clemson and Clemson football,

Jun 16, 2020, 9:20 AM

basketball, baseball, etc. Unlike Clemson81to85 that will never change for me. Clemson has been, is, and forever will be part of who I am.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

It’s prolly cuz you haven’t been relevant except for recruiting in

Jun 16, 2020, 9:20 AM

40 yrs

Since the modern era of college football began back in

Jun 16, 2020, 9:38 AM

1981 they haven't done anything at all. But hey, they seem to love their Mark Richt v2.0.

Bless their hearts.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Well, now that they've hired a "Smart" football coach, maybe

Jun 16, 2020, 9:45 AM

he won't do stupid things like a fake punt or field goal that costs them the game.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

When changing the name of the building interferes with my

Jun 16, 2020, 9:23 AM

enjoyment of college football, it may be time for some meds.

Life is too short. Breath in, breath out, move on.

Re: When changing the name of the building interferes with my

Jun 16, 2020, 9:54 AM

It’s way deeper than any single event like changing a buildings name. I’m becoming more disgusted with sports across the board. I have not watched a single down of pro football since well, you know. I played college ball and coached college ball. Right now I’m more concerned about my country.

I agree. I watch sports because it is an escape.

Jun 16, 2020, 4:53 PM

I want to see players perform at their best, representing my school/team well. Sports have become way too political.

I used to be a big NBA fan. I grew tired of the LeBron Jameses and Steph Currys of the world commenting on politics and other social issues. I don’t want to hear their entitled opinions and critiques. I want to watch them play basketball.

I feel the same way about the NFL. I used to watch it a lot. Now I’d rather not. I don’t care for all of the peripheral stuff that is now part of it.

This is the same reason why I don’t watch various award shows and follow what various celebrities have to say about current events. I don’t want to hear their uninformed opinions on those issues.

I don’t use my career as a platform to tell others what I think about politics and controversial current events. That’s not my job. I don’t want athletes doing that either. Not a lot to ask.

College sports used to be more pure. Young student-athletes working hard at their sport while getting a good education. Now I feel that it’s a bunch of entitled social justice warriors who feel “victimized” and can’t see what wonderful opportunities and privileges they have.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

The sky is not falling, mutt.

Jun 16, 2020, 10:03 AM

I have missed two Clemson home games over the past thirteen years, one due to surgery and the other to serious illness. Only missed maybe two or three bowl games and have gone to a playoff game every year Clemson has been in it. I marched in Tiger Band for five years. So I'd say I'm dang well qualified to speak on this.

My two cents? You are a casualty of the media. Yes, I suppose "gotcha" methodology is a bit on the rise but if you look at the field, what you see? Football, and #### good football at that. Football is not being negatively affected by the political and societal landscape nearly as much as you think it is. Clemson tickets for one are more expensive and harder to get than ever. I don't think anyone would argue that the media blows things out of proportion, and you have to be able to see through that. You clearly cannot. IF attendance craters this year, COVID-19 will be the only reason. Coming together to support a team can provide social healing that is desperately needed in this nation. And if you look at the data, CFB's popularity is just as high as its ever been: the second-most popular sport in America behind only the NFL. And as long as college feeds the NFL, which will be always, people will watch college almost as much as they do the pros.

For as much as some older folks like to label young liberals and progressives as snowflakes, it's remarkable how easy it is to hurt their feelings. Just challenge the status quo a little bit by say, oh I don't know, renaming an Honors college hardly any of them attended to something not associated with a person who firmly stood in favor of slavery and segregation, and watch the fireworks. The argumentative fallacies come out in FORCE. Ad hominems, strawmen, hasty generalizations, red herrings, argumentum ad verecundiam, they've got quite the arsenal.

Hoping CFB attendance tanks tells me exactly how fragile you are.

Re: The sky is not falling, mutt.

Jun 16, 2020, 10:18 AM

I would argue that if I don’t spend money to watch entitled athletes disrespect my country and flag I am more principled than fragile.

I’ve missed 2 home UGA football games..

Jun 16, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to The sky is not falling, mutt. ]

In past 44 years.

I’m close.

Re: The sky is not falling, mutt.

Jun 16, 2020, 11:03 AM [ in reply to The sky is not falling, mutt. ]

This applies somewhat more to pro than collegiate sports but how many leftists would knowingly attend a sporting event, movie, or watch a TV show if they knew everyone (or most everyone) involved was a Republican, and even worse, loved Trump? We both know the answer is zero. Fortunately for them they don't ever have to make that decision when it comes to Hollywood based entertainment. They can spend freely to line the pockets of a bunch of like minded people who will then, in turn, take a portion of the money earned and donate it to left wing politicians and causes. Sports was exempt from this for a long time yet now if we want to watch professional sports, and contribute to enriching people who are now very clearly aligned with people who hate our guts, we are literally paying to lose ground in elections and on issues. This has been the lefts mentality for a long time so I don't know why the rest of us embracing not interacting with the enemy is suddenly unbecoming. If pro sports going full politics becomes the norm then a lot of people will turn the channel, just like they've stopped going to the movies or watching TV in general. You can disagree if you want but attempting to financially destroy someone when they do or say something with which you disagree became normalized by the modern left so that's who you have a beef with.

No

Jun 16, 2020, 10:28 AM

I proudly maintain my childish enthusiasm for Clemson football at 59. Nothing, and I mean nothing, makes me happier than being in tiger town for a football game and the associated experiences. I don't care about the heat, the rain - hell, call me a postman. I don't sense or even agree there is a "poisonous atmosphere pervading" college campuses.
If you truly feel that way and aren't just trying to rock the boat, I feel sorry for you. Best wishes. Go Tigers!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No

Jun 18, 2020, 2:40 AM

I teach at a Midwestern university that is a lot like Clemson with its Sci-Tech emphasis. On campuses, left-wing idiots have won because the reasonable middle was silent and let them. If you folks could see the "progressive" nonsense that has taken over academia, you'd be genuinely shocked and appalled. Several generations of students have already been lost to indoctrination, sad to say. Give it a few years at Clemson, and I may be mailing back my ring and diploma.

Free speech is close to gone. Whoever thought Mike Gundy's job would be in jeopardy for wearing an OAN t-shirt?! Even this post could cause me trouble!

Jun 16, 2020, 10:29 AM

I've been a tiger supporter since the '40's . I am still as fervent in my support as ever. I admit that that gnawing pain in my gut after a loss now only lasts a few minutes instead of weeks . That said, I give my season tix of over 40 years to my children . At my age I get more enjoyment out of watching my Tigers on TV than the hassle of spending a day in the valley .
GO TIGERS

Jun 16, 2020, 10:44 AM

For once I agree with you Bulldog.....kind of scary......Go Tigers!!!!!

Jun 16, 2020, 10:55 AM

Yes , Normally my favorite time of the year is looking more and more like I will not be spending any money on sports .

dont let the door hit you in the a$$

Jun 16, 2020, 11:16 AM

Lol , A true man pays money to watch kids kneel and disrespect the Anthem and Country that he fought for ? You do you , I will keep my dignity.

Between work and family, I have only made it to bigger games for a lot of years. I am proud of the way our young men and the coaching staff represent themselves and Clemson University, even when I don't completely agree with their stance.

I have thoughts for and against the name changes, but I certainly wish that it felt more like a thoughtful decision than a knee jerk reaction to current circumstances. However, it would not have made sense for ones favoring the change to wait for a less volatile time for the discussion. Therefore, even if I vehemently opposed their stance, I would still support them on and off the field.

Maybe things will hit the point that I don't feel this way, but I can't think of any issues outside my family that carry the weight for me to say that I am done. No, I will continue to support Clemson football, baseball, and even if it tastes a little strange in my mouth, Clemson basketball. That will also extend to any other sports or activities with Clemson University. Go Tigers.

Jun 16, 2020, 11:05 AM

I've come to view the college athlete the same way I view the pro athlete and pretty much all celebrities. That being, I could not be less interested in anything they think. I don't take cues from them on what I should be outraged by any more than I'd look to them for advice on how to raise kids, invest money or mow the lawn. They are free to have their opinions, I just have very little interest in hearing them. For those same reasons I don't listen to Paul Finebaum or anyone at ESPN - I just don't care what they think. Do yourself a favor this season, wait til kickoff time to turn on your TV.

Only one thing could make me do that

Jun 16, 2020, 11:29 AM

and it ain't happening, so GO TIGERS! Spot the Ball!

Jun 16, 2020, 12:28 PM

Unfortunately, due to health reasons I haven't been able to attend a Clemson game in years, but haven't missed a televised game in a very long time. I'll continue to watch he's from home even though I suspect the coverage this coming season will be loaded will political commentary. If it's too bad, I'll mute and tune into WCCP.

As for all the pro sports, been done with them for a good while.

I'm afraid the NIL stuff will ruin CFB though.

Jun 16, 2020, 1:33 PM

5 or 6 years ago I posted that sports would implode within because o.f to much politics and to much money. Most of the athletes have become self absorbed and greedy. I said Money would ruin college athletics if players started getting compensation for play. Most of them already get a free education and many perks. They just can’t ever be satisfied.

What happened to Yyhe last be

Jun 16, 2020, 1:41 PM

5 or 6 years ago I posted that sports would implode within because of to much politics and to much money. Most of the athletes have become self absorbed and greedy. I said Money would ruin college athletics if players started getting compensation for play. Most of them already get a free education and many perks. They just can’t ever be satisfied.

What happened to playing for the love of the game. When did sports become another political outlet???

Jun 16, 2020, 2:07 PM

We the fans can change the landscape of sports. If politics takes over sports (like it is trying to do now), we can choose to stop attending and stop watching. When the revenue dries up, the players will be the ones to suffer. When that happens, they will revert back to playing sports, getting paid, and keeping their mouths shut. If sports were to fold, most of these high paid athletes will wind up working for less than most of us. I really don't think they want that to happen.

I think it would be easier losing at home to a bad team with

Jun 16, 2020, 2:11 PM

their third-string quarterback.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes

Jun 16, 2020, 2:32 PM

It's blasphemous to say, but as an alumni I'm about done. It has nothing to do with the players demonstrations or pay. That's fine. But once they start renaming buildings, it's not going to stop. A big part of the problem is some if the Marxist professors in the social sciences the university has hired over the last 25 years. They have tenure now and openly push radical social justice causes with impunity. A tenured anthropology professor demanded that "Mr." be taken off if the president house because it was gender specific. And he won. It's not going to stop and they will rename Clemson. They are already trying.

Re: Yes

Jun 16, 2020, 2:37 PM

They absolutely will rename Clemson at some point. Just think of all the things you said 10 years could never happen. Well, here we are. Dennis Prager frequently says “everything the left touches it destroys”. The left is now “touching” Clemson and “touching” sports in general. It has thoroughly “touched” my school, UNC-CH.

Re: Yes

Jun 16, 2020, 7:56 PM

Tardog said:

They absolutely will rename Clemson at some point. Just think of all the things you said 10 years could never happen. Well, here we are. Dennis Prager frequently says “everything the left touches it destroys”. The left is now “touching” Clemson and “touching” sports in general. It has thoroughly “touched” my school, UNC-CH.

Can they get dominance in BB back? That wasn't a bad team last year and they couldn't compete in some games. I'm doubting Roy lets his practices get taped for the ACC network this year. All that political correctness liberalism seems to cause weakness and selfishness.

This was the "one thing" i referred to in my post above

Jun 16, 2020, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Yes ]

The idea so sickens me that I was intentionally vague, because I couldn't even say it.

But I am not so convinced as you that it will ever happen. Can't say for sure unless/until it actually happens, but this is likely a dealbreaker for me and my alma mater.

Funny thing, I was the last graduating class from my HIGH SCHOOL alma mater. My school merged with another school and was given a new name - both incumbent names were tossed. Not even close to the same situation, but I have no attachment to the new, merged school.

Jun 16, 2020, 7:39 PM

So let me get this straight. You are losing your enthusiasm for the greatest era of Clemson football because of changing the name of a building and an honors college? Y’all can’t see the forest for the trees

Jun 16, 2020, 7:40 PM

I'm starting to have thoughts like that, between all the cupcake opponents and tail wagging the dog and the nonstop political sports stories, and the shouting down of anyone with a different opinion than the liberal/PC/twitter mob social justice warriors, I *could* be done, I'm not there yet, but I'm close. If I turn on a clemson game and they start blathering about BLM, and the twitter mob cancelling someone else, and the poor athletes, well then I'm done. When I want politics, I'll watch a political show, but I watch sports to get the he|| away from that.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:11 PM

I am hoping that I can enjoy some small high school football. There are a lot of guys playing both ways and most are not getting scholarships in sports. Most of them will not don a football uniform again after their last high school game. I still miss it coming up on 52b years later when I had to hitchhike back and forth to practice in the summer.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:06 PM

Still love the game of football. The positives greatly outweigh the negatives in college football, IMHO. Not losing
Enthusiasm or passion for college football.

Jun 16, 2020, 8:29 PM

Sounds good. Give up your tickets and make room for others.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 16, 2020, 9:16 PM

Yes. The love of money. When we paid a football coach 250,000 - no conversation about paying student-athletes. It is so out of whack. We are lucky to have Coach Swinney and Brownell - they care about their teams. But it is hard to imagine all the money being spent on athletics. There are so many other valuable things to support.

Yes.***

Jun 16, 2020, 9:47 PM

Jun 17, 2020, 6:50 AM

Yes. I already have. I'm done with all sports. Clemson has gone to he!! in a hand basket.

Jun 17, 2020, 7:02 AM

A lot of snowflakes on here. College football with Clemson is as good as its ever been. I guess some were really never fans of football or sports in general. I look forward to watching sports until the day I die. I love them.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:44 PM

And most of the snowflakes are right, conservative Republicans calling others snowflakes and saying how political things are in sports. Talk sports and if you don't like Clemson sports good riddance.

Jun 17, 2020, 9:27 AM

I'm not going to stop being a Clemson fan.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Not 'done' but definitely on the wane for me...

Jun 17, 2020, 9:35 AM

If so, Tiger football would be the last sport to go...

Not that anyone cares I suppose, but the NFL has been dead to me for a few years now. Don't miss it at all. College basketball is unwatchable now anyway - in today's climate I expect it will become insufferable.

MLB is self destructing, albeit for different reasons. Never cared for the NBA. Been watching more NHL the past few years - have to wait and see how they're going to act. International soccer is actually more interesting to me since they're less likely to involve themselves directly in American politics.

In general it's just difficult to identify with these guys anymore. I watch and they seem alien to me now. Maybe this is a function of growing old, I dunno. I'll miss sports - but I won't sacrifice my principles for them either...

Again, not that anyone cares - really just getting my thoughts together here.

TL;DR...Interest waning precipitously but not quite gone yet.

Been going for almost 50 years. Won't stop til I die.***

Jun 17, 2020, 1:59 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

thats coming for me.

Jun 17, 2020, 2:36 PM

im jussstt about done with this. I will support tiger baseball/soccer/softball and other sports.

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Replies: 74
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic