Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite

Sep 20, 2017, 11:46 AM

Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Herbie.....that is correct...***

Sep 20, 2017, 11:49 AM

High Cotton ...

Sep 20, 2017, 11:53 AM

And the Sweetest Tea !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Careful....you may offend someone by even saying

Sep 20, 2017, 1:19 PM

the word "cotton" these days.

;)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Careful....you may offend someone by even saying

Sep 20, 2017, 1:24 PM

As long as you don't mention that cotton was grown in mostly confederate states, you should be ok.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm offended...

Sep 20, 2017, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Careful....you may offend someone by even saying ]

that anyone would be offended!!!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait until they figure out who harvested rice...

Sep 21, 2017, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Careful....you may offend someone by even saying ]

Or the origin of grits.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite

Sep 20, 2017, 11:59 AM

He gets it. He nailed it. I am glad that folks in the national media are vindicating what we have been saying for so long. Someone needs to post this on FGF just to watch the feathers fly!

Incidentally, I have always liked Herbstreit.

Re: FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite

Sep 20, 2017, 7:14 PM

Yep .....absolutely nailed it! It is what many of us have known for a long time!

Sep 20, 2017, 12:29 PM

This is why I laugh to myself when folks say Herbie is anti-Clemson or pro-Ohio St, etc... He's always given us respect and has also always been a balanced fair commentator, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 2:59 PM

I agree. Corso i can do without but Herbie is a straight shooter.

Message was edited by: tigered1®

Sep 21, 2017, 7:49 AM

Right on both counts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 6:23 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite ]

LOVE me some Herbie!! Go Tigers! PS: Glad, once again, Sucko picked Louisville. LOL

agreed, I think Herbie has most always been fair with our program***

Sep 20, 2017, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite ]

How much longer can we keep Venables?

Sep 20, 2017, 12:30 PM

?

Re: How much longer can we keep Venables?

Sep 20, 2017, 12:36 PM

4 more years

That would be fantastic... why hasn't someone made him the

Sep 20, 2017, 12:44 PM

offer he can't walk away from? Seems like LOTS Of places would want him as HC

Re: That would be fantastic... why hasn't someone made him the

Sep 20, 2017, 6:03 PM

No need to ask that question. He is making very good money, doing what he loves, and he is living in CLEMSON SC.

Re: That would be fantastic... why hasn't someone made him the

Sep 21, 2017, 7:53 AM

That says a lot, and he now has a son who is committed to the program, so I think we may have him for a few more years, at least. And, he likes Clemson and he likes Dabo's way of doing things. That is obvious. I expect that one day he will move up and be a HC somewhere, but that's okay, too. He has earned the right, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man has said he won't move his family again.

Sep 20, 2017, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: How much longer can we keep Venables? ]

Maybe when the last kid graduates he might make a move

Sep 20, 2017, 2:00 PM

Until then, if he is careful and clips coupons, he can live well on a low 7 figure salary in upstate SC.

Sep 20, 2017, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: How much longer can we keep Venables? ]

There's more to his life than being a head coach. I'm sure family will be his number one priority and he's making great money. I'm not sure he wants to leave at all. And I don't think I'm just looking through rose (maybe orange?)- colored glasses. He personally may not want the hassle of being a head coach. As a friend of mine used to say, "the dollar to BS ratio may go down with a promotion."

Hard to believe but some families can live

Sep 20, 2017, 6:55 PM

comfortably off on 1.7 million a year and don't want to uproot for more

Sep 20, 2017, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Re: How much longer can we keep Venables? ]

Being a great salesman doesn't always translate into being a great sales manager! I think he would probably be a good head coach, but his knack for coaching defense might not translate into all of the duties and responsibilities of a HC. Dabo's skill set is perfect for a HC. I have no doubt that Dabo would be successful in any profession!

Sep 20, 2017, 12:32 PM

Kudos to Herbstreit for saying what we, as Clemson fans, have known for years. Maybe now, the national media will begin to understand that we're in reload mode instead of in rebuild mode.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The next person who says Herbie is anti-Clemson....

Sep 20, 2017, 12:39 PM

is certified stupid.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The next person who says Herbie is anti-Clemson....

Sep 20, 2017, 12:43 PM

Yep. Herbstreit was one of the first to recognize what is going on at Clemson. The other one that seems to get it is David Pollock. Same approach - unbiased and very rational in his thought process.

Sep 20, 2017, 12:43 PM [ in reply to The next person who says Herbie is anti-Clemson.... ]

I love the idea that Dabo actually consults with his players about recruiting decisions. Don't know if this is a Dabo thing or if it's been going on much longer, but it sure is smart. After all, the current players should know something about the high schools they came from and the players at those schools. And the positive report from Herbie can only fuel the recruiting fires. Great stuff!

Sep 20, 2017, 7:18 PM [ in reply to The next person who says Herbie is anti-Clemson.... ]

TU ...SCO!

Herbie would have to be certified stupid to have a...

Sep 20, 2017, 7:29 PM [ in reply to The next person who says Herbie is anti-Clemson.... ]

different opinion that that which he expresses. Water is wet, sky is blue...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 1:01 PM

Some coaches will promise anything to land a 5*, and I'm sure Dabo will also go all out to get talent. I do not think however, he will ignore character and sign someone who is not going to fit in with his other players. He wants kids that are coach-able and wants to be a part of a team that cares more about the team than personal accolades, and somehow he finds them. This provides a team that seems to really like each other and works together as a team. Part of it is that Dabo is just a genuinely nice guy that acts like one of the guys, while still maintaining discipline. It is very hard to replicate and often looks foolish by dancing with the team or making very corny sayings, but those who he coaches really genuinely like coach Dabo, and that is obvious. It is most often called "Dabo being Dabo"

Sep 20, 2017, 1:06 PM

Winning allows us to be more selective. More players of high character are coming through this system. It seems there are rarely any issues with the law in Clemson and if there is it's an isolated incident that is dealt with, not like whatever was going on in Gainsville with half their team getting suspended.

Over the years there have been some bad eggs that got recruited and were booted after their screw ups--we know the names, I won't go into them. But now we have guys like Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins, Dorian O'Daniel, Trayvon Mullen, Kelly Bryant... guys that represent Clemson in the best possible way and also can play football at a high level.

The headline of the article is a bit misleading.

Sep 20, 2017, 1:11 PM

To really get an idea of what's been going on now for several years, skip to the last 3 paragraphs and hopefully everyone can understand why we're all-in and high on this program.
CHARACTER! - BEST is the standard!

Sep 20, 2017, 1:44 PM

Love it, kudos to Herbstreit to recognize and talk about how important the off the field character and fit is to our program. Just the way he talks about our team and program has to make all Tiger fans happy.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WOW..always liked that Buckeye QB Herbie, BUT this

Sep 20, 2017, 1:50 PM

stuff is off the charts great! Should we make him an honorary TiGER with rights to have a free meal & beer @ EssO Club anytime he's here!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The program has earned that luxury (of being so selective)

Sep 20, 2017, 2:02 PM

What a great time to be a tiger!

Sep 20, 2017, 2:55 PM

I like Kurt but he needs to keep this to himself. Dabo has a unique way of recruiting. It doesn't need to get out to the rest of the programs in the Country. It's already bad enough that when Dabo offers a player a scholarship it's only a matter of a couple of days at most that Oscar Meyer offers the same kid. Go Tigers.

This isn't a big secret. I'm sure all the big time programs

Sep 20, 2017, 3:10 PM

know more about his recruiting tactics than we do. The problem is that they can't or won't replicate his sincerity, genuineness, and discipline.

Sep 20, 2017, 2:59 PM

Uh oh.....Herbie used the E word...ClemVegas aint gonna like this....

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2017, 6:24 PM

> Uh oh.....Herbie used the E word...ClemVegas aint
> gonna like this....

Calling a team elite doesn't win games.

Dude,

Sep 20, 2017, 6:30 PM

just go away. Your pulse is about to get you banned anyway.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Dude,

Sep 20, 2017, 6:32 PM

Why don't you stop bossing me around. I think it is hilarious you have a 110 pulse. How is that even possible.

OK, now I get it.

Sep 20, 2017, 6:36 PM

You're 12 years old.

Carry on.

Re: OK, now I get it.

Sep 20, 2017, 6:37 PM

Says the whiny uptight guy who thinks that I should be banned for opinions that you don't like.

Sep 20, 2017, 6:40 PM

Obviously a lot of people don't like your opinions according to your pulse.

Sep 20, 2017, 6:42 PM

That is fine but that isn't proof that I should be banned. You obviously have a problem with freedom of speech for people that don't say things you want to hear.

I don't understand how a person can have a 100 percent pulse if they actually express opinions on here.

Sep 20, 2017, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Re: OK, now I get it. ]

I was responding to a person who made a snide reference to me even though I had not posted on this topic. I'm not sure why you felt the need to butt in and boss me around. You are not my boss, homey.

Sep 20, 2017, 6:49 PM

My low pulse is mostly due to me expressing support for Brownell and for debating some liberals on here. Liberals like to downvote opinions.

CLEMSON IS ELITE.***

Sep 20, 2017, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: OK, now I get it. ]

Re: CLEMSON IS ELITE.***

Sep 20, 2017, 7:06 PM

Ok that statement will be pretty funny if they don't make the playoffs this year or next though.

I think the elite statement is really an assertion about what is going to happen in the future and obviously nobody knows what will happen in the future.

Re: CLEMSON IS ELITE.***

Sep 20, 2017, 7:30 PM
image.jpg(109.6 K)

Sorry. What was that? I was too busy polishing trophies.

Sep 20, 2017, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite ]

> Uh oh.....Herbie used the E word...ClemVegas aint
> gonna like this....

You are proving my point about how you guys seem to think there is a trophy for receiving praise from the sports media.

That's exactly what I'm saying...

Sep 20, 2017, 6:47 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_National_Championship_Trophy

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: That's exactly what I'm saying...

Sep 20, 2017, 6:53 PM

Yes, i'm aware Clemson won the trophy last year. Every season is a clean slate though. Clemson hasn't won the trophy yet this year, got a lot of games left. I think they have a good chance of winning it.

The reality is you guys gets defensive about everything. My point was general, not specific to Clemson , that I don't see the point in labeling programs elite because every program has bad, mediocre seasons at some point. I look at sports on a season basis, what happened in past years is irrelevant. It is about winning the season.

Ok, but you said...

Sep 20, 2017, 6:58 PM

"...you guys seem to think there is a trophy for receiving praise from the sports media." and I'm just pointing out that there is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Ok, but you said...

Sep 20, 2017, 7:01 PM

That's kind of dumb b/c they won the trophy for winning games including the last one, which was my point.

And you are talking about last season.

ELITE***

Sep 20, 2017, 7:07 PM

Your coots are stinking football up this year.

Sep 20, 2017, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: That's exactly what I'm saying... ]

Are you sure you wouldn't like to look back instead of forward?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's exactly what I'm saying...***

Sep 20, 2017, 7:12 PM [ in reply to That's exactly what I'm saying... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sep 20, 2017, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Herbstreit: 'Frightening' defense has Clemson as Playoff favorite ]

If there was Jake Bentley would have won a few for your coots. As it is that 1969 ACC trophy is mighty lonesome.

Sep 20, 2017, 8:01 PM

I promise I'm not crying I'm just.... Tired. Proud of the way Clemson sticks out in a positive way not just on but off the field in every aspect and although Clemson nation has known this the whole world is now taking note. GO TIGERS!

High praise! Wow

Sep 20, 2017, 8:31 PM

I love hearing stuff like this, especially: "they're mad at everybody!"

Sep 21, 2017, 7:48 AM

So well said. Herbie gets it, and so do the parents of these guys we recruit and sign. Nobody does it better than Dabo and his staff, and now the world is taking notice, and my guess is they are lusting in their hearts to have what we already have.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic