Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: A win, yes, but sloppy play can’t be overlooked
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

New Story: A win, yes, but sloppy play can’t be overlooked

Sep 23, 2017, 10:01 PM

A win, yes, but sloppy play can’t be overlooked

It was sluggish and sloppy, but it was a win. But it was sluggish and sloppy, and that just can’t be overlooked or disregarded. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The play calling just seemed off. More trying not to lose

Sep 23, 2017, 11:11 PM

than trying to win. Maybe we were holding something back for VT?

Re: The play calling just seemed off. More trying not to lose

Sep 23, 2017, 11:20 PM

Maybe. Play-callers have off days too. But the O-line was not good.

Re: The play calling just seemed off. More trying not to lose

Sep 23, 2017, 11:35 PM

Wow, glad to see our TBs gained 340+ all by themselves. Good trick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were bad in pass pro.

Sep 24, 2017, 8:19 AM

Really no debate to be had about that. Bryant got hit quickly several times and had to escape quickly several more. Hyatt had a bad game and we simply do not have a RT who is ready to play at this level.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: A win, yes, but sloppy play can’t be overlooked

Sep 23, 2017, 11:29 PM

I didn't see it as sloppy, but rather as a team playing not to lose.

Sep 24, 2017, 12:09 AM

The offensive line play was sloppy. Missed assignments (including the pick that popped up in the air). No penalties, yes. But missed assignments to me equals sloppy, and the line had a bunch.

Meh . . .

Sep 23, 2017, 11:45 PM

Vanilla play-calling. BC is a has some dudes on the D-line, and they played well. We won by 27, in September, against a division opponent. Got 500+ yards.

We'll be fine.

"Vanilla play-calling"... Exactly, with lots of 2s and 3s...***

Sep 23, 2017, 11:52 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can we play ONE GAME against a non-All Pro NFL punter????***

Sep 24, 2017, 12:28 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've lost count of how many years in a row now that I've been saying this

Sep 24, 2017, 4:16 AM

But when you know you're not going to have any return (when the other team is punting from around midfield), why do we not try to block a single punt, ever????????? I honestly have no idea. Bring the whole house.. what's the worst that can happen??? They down it at the one? That basically happened 5 times yesterday. Try to block a freaking punt, or set up a return. We do neither.

Sep 24, 2017, 5:31 AM

I don't care what it looked like for 3 quarters because its a 4 quarter game. I don't mind an ugly 3 quarters because for one it is a 4 quarter game and two they got things turned around in the 4th. There might not be anything better in football than getting a win and still being able to point out a bunch of things to fix. I don't want to make to much out of 2 quarters where I think the Tigers thought all they had to do was show up. Now Dabo has the proof he needs to show these young guys that it isn't just about showing up but showing up and showing out from the 1st whistle to the last.

Sep 24, 2017, 7:47 AM

To me, it looked like KB reverted to the QB everyone worried about in the spring. One quick look and run. Yes he scored two TD's but too many times he tucked it and ran without even looking at more than one receiver. I know some of that was on the line , but come on. Best thing is we had a game when we weren't focused and still won. Would hate to be in some of the film sessions today or practice Monday. Maybe its time Mavrick was promoted to starter....

I'll take an ugly win any day, I've never seen a pretty loss

Sep 24, 2017, 6:36 AM

However, I believe we could use some work on the offensive line. VT has a very strong defense, and their offensive attack is solid as well. If our offensive line doesn't get it together then we risk getting a beat down, or worse. I mean, Kelly Bryant has proven to be a great QB, but he needs some protection, otherwise we end up like FSU with a hurt QB. Etienne attacked the edges yesterday instead of diddle diddle up the middle like every other play it seemed like. I'm not sure who is calling these conservative plays, but I'm sure that our playbook is more than 4 pages. For Peet's dragon, we need to open up the playbook a little, and the offensive line needs to provide better pass protection. It's really that simple.

2024 free_orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Re: I'll take an ugly win any day, I've never seen a pretty loss

Sep 24, 2017, 7:36 AM

The OL pass protection was not bad. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I'm just gonna say it. This is KB's 4th start at quarterback. He doesn't have the quick release on blitzes and I think he panics a little bit, but this too will get better in time. BC is simply big across their DL and gave us a good game for 3 quarters, but after they scored in the 3rd, Clemson had their way. Because of the depth on our OL, Clemson was able to wear down that defensive front. When KB sees 8 in the box, he has to know to check out of it, and roll the box, like he did yesterday on his pass play to Powell. Watching the game again this morning, I saw some tentative blocking on a lot of plays. I'm sure when the staff sees the film, they will see what needs worked on and game plan for VT. 41-3 over the past 44 games, I think they know a LOT more than I do. One more thing about VT. We aren't Delaware, East Carolina, or Old Dominion.

Message was edited by: fencebusters®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll take an ugly win any day, I've never seen a pretty loss

Sep 24, 2017, 10:36 AM [ in reply to I'll take an ugly win any day, I've never seen a pretty loss ]

We won 34-7. Ever consider the possibility we use the amount of the playbook we need to beat an overmatched opponent but don't show the rest of the college football world the rest of the playbook? Maybe even by design? I trust our coaches.

My Take On It

Sep 24, 2017, 8:02 AM

I think some of what happened yesterday may have been a case of hangover from the huge win at Louisville and looking ahead to Virginia Tech. Overall the coaches do a great job of keeping the players focused but from time to time things happen. These are human beings and of course they are going to make mistakes and lose a little focus. This is a twelve game regular season made up of four quarter games. Things will happen from time to time but it's how they as a team respond. Clemson responded in the end and I'm proud of how they did.

As for this being Boston College what difference does it make? How many teams that aren't given much of a chance by anyone usually wind up punching a heavy favorite in the mouth and breaking a tooth and draw some blood? BC-Clemson are usually physical games and this one was no different.

In the end the coaches will use this game as a teachable moment and will work with the players on what needs to be worked on. I hold to the view that every type of win is of value. Whether it's an 8 point win over Auburn or blowing out Kent and Louisville or being tied and going into the fourth quarter and then turning it on and winning big, every kind of win this team experiences will be of value come championship time.

I'm not alarmed or nervous. I've been through this with this team before. I just take it one game at a time. Go Tigers!

A Win--No Buts

Sep 24, 2017, 9:36 AM

Yeah, I'm sure there were many nervous Tiger fans the 1st 3 Qtrs; I sure was. We outplayed BC for 3 Qtrs, but had only a tie to show for it. IMO, BC came to prove a point; that their style of aggressive play could make a difference. I laughed out loud when I read Adazio's comment "our goal was to get to the 4th Qtr with a chance to win." He did but his house of cards collapsed.

Point is BC is a tough team in the trenches; maybe the best we'll see. This led to some breakdowns in Oline protection and failure to open some holes. Not sure I agree with sloppy as the general characterization. It's easy to blame our players, but BC came to play and it made a difference, period.

Our coaches will comb the film and extract the lessons like surgeons. Bet some of those lessons will include poor punt blocking to give our returner time to make a play. It should also include getting better in downfield coverage when we punt. Play calling appeared conservative; some was driven by poor field position, but even when we got the ball away from our endzone, we sputtered with poor blocking and we went to the KB QB draw too much.

Bottom line, it was a win, even a dominating win (480+ yds to 237). It wasn't pretty for 3 Qtrs. This will allow our team to learn and get even better,

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Win--No Buts

Sep 24, 2017, 10:42 AM

Totally agree. Sometimes the best way to win isn't flashy or even pretty for the whole game. Bottom line is we wore them down, played some great big boy football when needed late in the game and pulled away for a tough win!

Hey Daniel, I like your work normally but

Sep 24, 2017, 2:13 PM

I think you missed it a little bit on this analysis. If you look at the 4th Q and what plays Clemson was calling it was the plays they should have been calling since the 2nd drive of the game. Here is why. For the first 3 quarters on called run plays: In the 1st they rushed 8 times for 37 yards at 4.6 average. In Q2 they ran 15 times for 148 yards a 9.9 average and a touchdown. In Q3, their worst for running, they ran 10 times for 34 yards and a 3.4 average. Now going deeper, in those 1st 3 quarters any time Feaster (16 times for 85 yds, 5.3 avg) or ETN (4 times for 20 yds, 5.0 avg) ran the ball there was a 5 yards or better average. So I think the analysis of the O-Line play and not being holes misses the mark a little bit. I was at the game and have watched the play back a couple of times. It is obvious that it wasn't the players that stepped it up in the 4th, it was the coaches that finally saw what the fans in attendance knew since the 1st quarter and were very vocal in expressing their frustration with and that was simple....Run The Ball between the Tackles and put this game away early!!!!! When you are an elite team you need sometimes to just pound the ball inside the entire game when it calls for it and stop being cute and flashy with zone read and receiver screens. The O-line played fine against a top 10 draft prospect pass rusher.

Now our coaches have all the players' attention.

Sep 24, 2017, 2:45 PM

I expect crisp, clean execution from our guys come Saturday Night.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic