Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone explain why Skara played 35 minutes and Donnal 9
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Can someone explain why Skara played 35 minutes and Donnal 9

Feb 21, 2018, 11:47 PM

minutes? I had to work late and only was able to catch the last 6 minutes of the game. I am no expert, but to my admittedly amateur eyes, Donnal seems to bring so much more to table, certainly from an offensive threat perspective. Seems like we have been struggling to score and yet Donnal sits, just like in the Duke game. Was he hurt during the game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you saw the minutes played you should have noticed

Feb 21, 2018, 11:58 PM

Skara scored seven and Donnal scored none. So nine minutes of nothing vs 35 minutes and 7 points. Seven is greater than zero.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1 point every 5 minutes equals less than 2 points in 9

Feb 22, 2018, 12:20 AM

minutes, so not a great deal of difference tonight. Donnal had 1 shot. He cannot score from the bench. Are you honestly going to argue that Skara is the bigger offensive threat?

For the season (as of February 18 - the latest stats on ClemsonTigers.com):

Donnal has played 325 minutes and scored 100 points (.31 points per minutes) .

Skara has played 314 minutes and scored 53 points (.17 points per minute).

Donnal scores at nearly twice the rate as Skara.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Donnal had ONE shot and not sure what Clemson player he

Feb 22, 2018, 9:18 AM [ in reply to if you saw the minutes played you should have noticed ]

stole the ball from to get that shot. Also after scoring 10 points in 6 minutes the prior game and then getting benched makes you wonder about does it really matter in the long run. Keep up.

Because they play different positions or because Skara

Feb 22, 2018, 12:36 AM

is better at everything BUT shooting? Take your pick

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Because they play different positions or because Skara

Feb 22, 2018, 1:47 AM

This.

And if people don't realize what Skara brings to this team, then they don't know basketball. The guy is the best defender we've had since KJ McDaniels...and even KJ made his name on help side defense in blocking shots.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 5:11 PM

As a BB Coach for 11 years, I don't see what keeps him on the floor so much. He's a good spell p-layer. He adds some intensity. But he plays off ball defense very badly. He doesn't help up in many areas . .shooting?

Feb 22, 2018, 5:16 PM

He's a better defender than Trapp or Spencer, and can actually play the 3 or 4.

Will he help on offense as much? No, but he did better than normal last night.

In your 11 years did you ever lose roughly 25% of your depth and have to rely on players lower in the talent pool?

Feb 23, 2018, 11:31 AM

I think we are comparing, as to the OP, why he gets more time than Donnal. Although "slightly" different positions, I think some of us seeing a higher upside with Donnal and a little different lineup could be used. Donnal, whereas not a great leaper, is a timely rebounder. he's the type of guy that gets the block or rebound, just because he has the knack for the right time to do it. I noticed that about him early on in the year. He also is a better shooter IMO. We're not there in practice, but a lopsided playing time stat seems curious when there are definitely some positives to Donnal.

Feb 23, 2018, 11:36 AM

The thing is though Skara can play the 3, Donnal cannot, and that is where the biggest difference comes in.

Now, once Mitchell is back and healthy we can expect Skara's playing time at the 3 spot diminish because we will go back to a 3 guard look, whereas with Skara it's a 2 guard look. Skara can also defend much better on the perimeter than Donnal, a reason he is put in at the 3 spot.

I do agree that Donnal gives some positives, and should see more time at the 4 and 5, but if Thomas is staying out of foul trouble he needs the majority of minutes at the 5, and that leaves minutes at the 3 or 4 for Skara and only minutes at the 4 for Donnal.

Problem is, Donnal can't guard an athletic 5

Feb 24, 2018, 11:02 PM

let alone a stretch 4 that will take him away from the basket, and Donnal's lack of quickness would kill us. The guy is a nice role player. Not sure why so many want to try to make him in to more than what he's been now for 4 seasons

Feb 25, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Because they play different positions or because Skara ]

He does make some off the ball mistakes and you see brownell give him an earful about it every so often. However he can guard almost any position and does a great job. He also can create a little for others with his penetration. Also, Donnell hasn't played that well the last few games

We need SOMEBODY that can score.***

Feb 22, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Because they play different positions or because Skara ]

Because Skara Can Defend***

Feb 22, 2018, 8:02 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can someone explain why Skara played 35 minutes and Donnal 9

Feb 22, 2018, 8:25 AM

Listen I ain't no Red Auerbach by any stretch of the imagination, but you asked and I'm gonna tell you straight up. Skara is the only guy on the team that can give Thomas any help inside. That's why.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 8:25 AM

Skara was in to guard[hound] Robinson--VT's best offensive threat. He did a decent job on defense w/o question. Donnal is not the defender that Skara is. Hopefully Mitchell is able to go for the remaining games. My question would be how can you have a player go down with a concussion and no foul was called in FSU game.
The officials in college basketball have got to gather themselves to callevery game like it is on a neutral court.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 8:28 AM

Are you really this stupid?

1. Donnal and Skara play 2 different positions. Donnal backs up Elijah Thomas. We can not put both on the floor at the same time and Thomas is a lot better.

2. Donnal is a nice change of pace reserve, but the only thing he can really do is shoot. He’s slow, not a good rebounder, and is a below average defender. As good as Donnal is shooting, skara is that much better than him at defense.

It seems like everyone that hates brownell and blames everything on him, don’t understand the concept of basketball.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice response. I have a different opinion from you, so I

Feb 22, 2018, 10:44 PM

must be an idiot. Grow up.

Feb 22, 2018, 9:37 AM

Donnal is so soft...he can't guard and he's the worst rebounding big man we have had in the last 10 years. And Skara plays lights out defense

Feb 23, 2018, 8:24 PM

So now I know you are not watching and don't know what you are seeing. Donnal is a good rebounder. he does it correctly. He also has great timing, knowing when to leave the floor. His physical abilities are not at the highest level, but his knack is on point and why his is where he is.

He averages 2 rebounds a game***

Feb 24, 2018, 10:56 PM

Re: He averages 2 rebounds a game***

Feb 27, 2018, 7:02 PM

Logic son, the point of the post is that he is not getting the playing time. If he averages 2 bounds a game with the small minutes, compare that to others.

He averages 14 minutes a game

Feb 28, 2018, 8:22 AM

So a whopping 4 over the course of PT for a starter. Yes, he's Moses Malone

You seem to be forgetting about defense.

Feb 22, 2018, 10:06 PM

Something that is very important to Brownell, and something that Skara does extremely well and Donnal does fairly average.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Thanks Judge for the response. I did not forget about

Feb 22, 2018, 10:50 PM

defense, but when I was finally home from work near the end of the game, we were down something like 9-10 points with just a few minutes left. We needed to score and Donnal has some offense skill and the ability to hit the 3 pointer but he never got in while I was watching. I also remember he got hot in the Duke game and then was taken out for most of the rest of the game. When we need to score, he seems like a one of the better options available to us.

I guess I need to learn to appreciate Skara's defense.

Can someone explain why some seem to think Mark Donnal

Feb 22, 2018, 11:21 PM

is Larry Bird?

Re: Can someone explain why some seem to think Mark Donnal

Feb 23, 2018, 7:16 AM

Donnal is at .547 in all shooting this season and he's shooting .533 from 3pt range. He's made 16 3's; Skara, Spencer, and Sims COMBINED have made 17.

Larry Bird never but he has been successful in his time on the court this year offensively.

check for yourself....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/stats/_/id/228/clemson-tigers

No doubt he can hit a wide open shot

Feb 23, 2018, 10:14 AM

how many of those are you getting per game?

I'm not knocking Donnal, he's been a good role player. But that's what he is, a role player. Same as he was at Michigan. It's not like he's magically going to begin to create his own shots and provide bunches of offense. Just because you can make open shots doesn't mean you can get open consistently.

Re: No doubt he can hit a wide open shot

Feb 23, 2018, 12:03 PM

I have a co-worker that is a Michigan fan and before the year he told me to expect Donnal to score in double digits one game and zero the next.

Yes, he can score, but he can also be inconsistent.

Re: No doubt he can hit a wide open shot

Feb 23, 2018, 8:25 PM [ in reply to No doubt he can hit a wide open shot ]

From the 3 pt line? Many. Ball movement creates open threes.

If you knew as much about basketball as you claim

Feb 23, 2018, 9:20 PM

you'd know you don't run any offense with role players as a focal point. He gets open shots because other guys are getting the attention. Without Mitchell, he's not going to get the looks. Even with Mitchell he only gets a few a game. He can't create a shot for himself

+1. Not sure why some people think being able to score is

Feb 23, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Can someone explain why some seem to think Mark Donnal ]

a bad thing.

Maybe because the guy being trumpeted as a scoring threat

Feb 23, 2018, 4:11 PM

averages 4 points per game

Maybe because the guy being trumpeted as a scoring threat

Feb 23, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to +1. Not sure why some people think being able to score is ]

averages 4 points per game

Easy, Donnal cannot play D nearly as well as Skara, in fact,

Feb 23, 2018, 2:39 PM

Brownell says he is best D player on team.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Easy, Donnal cannot play D nearly as well as Skara, in fact,

Feb 23, 2018, 8:29 PM

Not sure which you are referring to . . but the last game. I cam off my seat when Skara waved at the player driving the lane. He should have, instead, been in proper defensive position to leave his player and stop the drive. I was vindicated when Brad called him immediately over to the sideline, asked for a dry eraser board and asked Skara " what are you doing" ?. So I know Brad saw the same thing, but this is basic. This isn't I'm hot tonight, cold tomorrow. This in a basic of basketball.

64-48 coot

Feb 24, 2018, 3:46 PM

Re: 64-48 coot

Feb 24, 2018, 9:20 PM

Such an idiot you are, truly an embarrassment to Clemson University. Heck, you probably didn't graduate. I wish you were here, I 'd teach you a few things about Basketball and life. Then you wouldn't embarrass yourself so much. Idiot.

Like how Donnal is a good rebounder and Skara

Feb 24, 2018, 10:58 PM

can't play defense? Yes, you are a fountain of basketball knowledge

Re: 64-48 coot

Feb 25, 2018, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: 64-48 coot ]

Wow petie, do you REALLY not know everyone on this board KNOWS you're a coot? WHo is the idiot now. LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Donnal can only play one position, the

Feb 24, 2018, 10:01 PM

5 spot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2018, 8:40 AM

Bc Skara can cover more people on D and is playing great D right now. He is like a shut down corner in FB

Donnal plays much smaller than his size. His Offense is slightly better than Skara’s

Both need to calm down a bit and just play without overthinking

Cause Skara has nice D***

Feb 25, 2018, 8:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cause Skara has nice D***

Feb 25, 2018, 10:02 AM

Ding , Ding , Ding! Really so simple if you've been watching .

Feb 25, 2018, 10:25 AM

Crazy thread.

The team won. They've won a lot this year. Thanks to all the players and coaches that have made it happen.

Feb 25, 2018, 10:32 AM

The density level of a lot of the posters on this board is at an all time high.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic