Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
$60M donation to the College of Business
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,295

$60M donation to the College of Business

Oct 16, 2020, 11:30 AM

That's the announcement.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2020/10/16/clemson-college-business-gets-new-name-after-60-million-donation/3652294001/

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nice to see a once small-time farmer give back to his

Oct 16, 2020, 11:35 AM

favorite skewl.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Excellent!***

Oct 16, 2020, 11:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Can some of that money be used to make the new building ...

Oct 16, 2020, 11:40 AM

... not be such an eyesore?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can some of that money be used to make the new building ...

Oct 16, 2020, 11:44 AM

What a wonderful way to honor their Grandson and the University.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I light the modern “eyesore” as described by earlier poster..

Oct 16, 2020, 11:58 AM

since it’s the best contemporary structure on the Clemson campus imho since all the other modern buildings over the past umpteen years have looked cheap, yellow brick material & badly designed.

Oh, can’t even imagine it having 303 classrooms!

Wish Billy had used his nickname on building rather than stuffy Wilbur O..since I go by Billy ir Billy Boy. LOL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I light the modern “eyesore” as described by earlier poster..

Oct 16, 2020, 12:06 PM

+1

Especially the Lee Hall expansion. Kinda proved the architect don't actually have a clue about what they are doing.

Re: Can some of that money be used to make the new building ...

Oct 16, 2020, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Can some of that money be used to make the new building ... ]

It's actually a nice building close up but would still benefit from dogwoods, azaleas, and what the heck, we've got $60 million, let's add some Japanese maples. :).

To paraphrase Ron Cherry: "That's a lotta Bidness!"

Oct 16, 2020, 12:01 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: $60M donation to the College of Business

Oct 16, 2020, 12:11 PM

Yay for the donation.

But I always feel slightly irked by "buying" a building" etc. Don't get me wrong. I like the donations but donations are supposed to be philanthropy (ie not quid pro quo).

I rather things be named after service and actions for the university that are non-monetary. I always preferred to honor hustle.

Then again, this is why I would never work in advancement or gift-giving.

Re: $60M donation to the College of Business

Oct 16, 2020, 12:20 PM

Unfortunately, it seems to be the norm. Check out the history of how Yale got its name. To this donor's credit, he wanted to honor his late grandson.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Letter from President Clements

Oct 18, 2020, 9:18 PM

October 16, 2020
Dear Clemson Family:
Today is a historic day for our University.

This morning, we announced the largest act of philanthropy since Thomas Green Clemson willed the land on which our main campus sits for the purpose of creating a “high seminary of learning” to serve the state of South Carolina.

Over the past 131 years, the vision for Clemson has grown considerably, and while we strive for national prominence every day we have never lost sight of our primary mission – to serve the residents of our great home state. I am immensely proud of the work of our faculty and staff, but none of that work is possible without the ongoing support of the Clemson Family, especially our passionate donor base.

That’s why I was honored to announce this morning that two of Clemson’s great friends – Billy and Ann Powers – have provided a $60 million gift to the University to benefit the College of Business.

Billy and Ann Powers
As a result of this transformational gift – one of the largest ever given to a higher education institution in South Carolina – both the college and our gorgeous new business building will bear the name of our benefactors: The Wilbur O. and Ann Powers College of Business. This is the first named college at Clemson and sets the stage to make the University a national leader in business education.

Billy’s ties to Clemson span more than 60 years, dating back to his time as a student. Billy had to leave Clemson to help with the family business before earning his degree, but has remained close to the University over the years. He has been a significant donor for many years, although until this gift he had done so anonymously.

That desire to help others quietly has been a driving force for Billy and Ann throughout their lives, and they have used their business success to help countless individuals and organizations around the state, especially in the Florence area where they live. In fact, Billy and Ann’s desire to not draw attention to their philanthropy was only superseded by their wish to honor the memory of their grandson Chandler Burns, a 2015 Clemson graduate, with this gift.

Chandler was an outstanding student who was on a course to play a role in the future of the Powers Companies when he tragically died in 2016 after a short illness. As part of the Powers’ gift, one tower of the building has been named in Chandler’s honor.

Billy and Ann represent the very best of the Clemson Family: Compassionate, loyal, determined, successful – and above all dedicated to improving our communities and supporting the people who live in them. It is our responsibility to live up to the confidence Billy and Ann have demonstrated in Clemson with this gift, and I am excited by the vision that Dean Wendy York, who joined Clemson from Stanford in 2018, has created for the college.

In addition to supporting the operation of the building and the college’s signature academic programs, this gift will help us attract the best faculty in the world through the creation of endowed professorships. Importantly, it also will allow us to provide financial support to talented students, with an emphasis on assisting South Carolina students.

This gift also is the result of hard work by many Clemson staff members. My deepest thanks and appreciation go out to all those involved in securing this gift, especially our Development and Alumni Relations team, led by Vice President Brian O’Rourke and Senior Associate Vice President for Development JoVanna King.

The generosity of Billy and Ann Powers will change the course of our students’ lives for generations to come and, in the process, will help create a more vibrant business and economic environment for South Carolina. We are deeply appreciative and humbled by their generosity and confidence in Clemson.
Additional information from JoVanna J. King Senior Associate Vice President for Development:
The South Tower will be named Chandler L. Burns Hall in memory of Billy and Ann’s grandson, Chandler, who died from an unexpected illness in 2016. A proud 2015 Clemson graduate, Chandler received his bachelor’s degree from the Nieri Family Department of Construction Science and Management. He will forever be remembered for his heartwarming smile, strong work ethic, and his love and devotion for all things Clemson. I cannot imagine a more meaningful and appropriate way to honor Chandler’s legacy of boundless commitment and enormous Clemson pride than to name an educational space in the new Wilbur O. and Ann Powers College of Business in honor of him. Seeing how someone could love so deeply and accomplish so much in such a short amount of time is truly inspiring. Chandler lived a purpose- driven life, and he enjoyed every moment of it.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,295
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic