Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Calling Out the Mods and @DavidHood..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 7,045

Calling Out the Mods and @DavidHood..

Aug 27, 2017, 3:28 PM

The Houston Metro area has 6.5 million people that will be suffering for weeks, and maybe months, due to Hurricane Harvey. They will be needing basic essentials (drinking water, food, clothing, toiletries, etc.) for some time to come.

This weekend the ACC will have 8 home games and 2 neutral site games. Attendees could bring some of these needed items if there is a way to distribute them to those in need.

With your connections/contacts to Clemson University, the ACC, and the ACC media, can you promote some discussions on how the ACC schools can help the folks in Houston Metro that are in need?

Please see if you can open up some dialog with DRad, President Clements, Swoffy, other ACC media organizations.

The Clemson Family is generous. We want to help.

I am confident other ACC fan bases would be interested in helping as well.

Thanks,

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll make a trade. We send supplies and they start Deshaun

Aug 27, 2017, 3:40 PM

??

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: We'll make a trade. We send supplies and they start Deshaun

Aug 28, 2017, 4:53 AM

NO,NO,NO, no trade off when talking about Americans suffering from a natural disaster that are in severe serious need of our help. We just help with no question asked or deals made, that is who we are, we take care of our own when in need!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Woosh***

Aug 28, 2017, 8:17 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Calling Out the Mods and @DavidHood..

Aug 27, 2017, 3:58 PM

I like the idea of tnet partnering with the acc in some way, and we should indeed, rally the troops. However, these days most agencies prefer money donations, instead of sorting, storing, and transporting goods. At least that's what I've been told during my hurricane preparedness and response training. Maybe make it a competition between the schools in the acc?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2017, 4:17 PM

True. Best thing to do is donate money to charitable agencies that are experienced in disaster relief.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2017, 5:39 PM

Many organizations designed to raise money for the needy scare me! I read to many stories about the huge salaries some of these guys make. I talked to the police chief here in the village where I live and he told me that he gets ten percent of every dollar raised by these agencies that constantly call me representing law enforcement. Give locally or check out your group carefully. Even the united way pays ridiculous salaries to their execs.I read that the Goodwill guy makes millions!!! I like the idea of contributing to those harmed by this storm. Lets be sure they get it!

Aug 27, 2017, 6:12 PM

Many organizations scare me as well. I want most of my donations going directly to the cause as well.
https://www.fema.gov/volunteer-donate-responsibly

https://www.nvoad.org/voad-members/national-members/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 27, 2017, 9:43 PM

You want most going for relief???? Wow

Aug 28, 2017, 8:06 AM

Not hard to understand. I (and most people) want most of my donation going to relief, not to pay and overhead.

Aug 28, 2017, 9:43 AM

I understand where your coming from, but in order for them to operate at full potential they' have to pay their executives and staff market value for their work.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Aug 28, 2017, 11:01 AM

Market value, of course.

I think the poster above me and myself are referring to exorbitant salaries/bonuses.

Edit: there are many sites devoted to rating best/average/below average charities. I prefer giving my hard earned money to charities with a good rating.

Message was edited by: Clemsonfan1851®

Aug 27, 2017, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Calling Out the Mods and @DavidHood.. ]

The Salvation Army is an organization you can be fully confident in with your donations. They are my favorite as there is very little overhead in this organization.

Aug 27, 2017, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Calling Out the Mods and @DavidHood.. ]

You must be real young

I am "all in". David, Clemson could set up collection.....

Aug 27, 2017, 4:57 PM

points outside the gates or cash collection points inside the gates.

Re: I am "all in". David, Clemson could set up collection.....

Aug 27, 2017, 6:17 PM

Hope all of the Tigers are safe. Now, If you have been keeping up with things, Governor Abbott advised the people of Houston to evacuate and the Democrat nut job Mayor Sylvester Turner told them not to. Yes a lot of people are suffering because this idiot and the people in Houston would not listen to the governor!!

If you decide to donate, be sure it gets in to the hands of the people and not the City of Houston bureaucrats!!

Very poor to play politics with this. TX governor had no

Aug 27, 2017, 6:38 PM

reasonable evacuation plan to offer the mayor or the people of Houston.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very poor to play politics with this. TX governor had no

Aug 27, 2017, 7:23 PM

I think you mean the MAYOR of Houston - per this article:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/houston-mayor-defends-decision-not-issue-evacuation-order-201504169--abc-news-topstories.html

If you're referring to this quote, < "Turner argued that

Aug 27, 2017, 9:31 PM

an evacuation order has to be "very well-coordinated all the way from Houston to the destination point."

"If you do it or attempt to do it and it's not coordinated, not done right, you are literally putting people in harm's way, and you're creating a far worse situation," Turner said. >

He was talking about the state's plan for when 6.5 million people started hitting the road and left the city limits, under what was already tropical conditions and rain bands that had been coming in ahead for some time.

I was astounded that news services and agencies weren't spending far more time heading into this simply preparing people for how to deal with flooding. NOAA sent out a Flash Flood warning Thursday to Houston that lasted until Tuesday. Probably better if they had skipped the "flash" part and focused on the fact that there would absolutely be heavy and deadly flooding for days to follow if the forecast was even half right - hard to tell where exactly - but southeast Texas is big, flat, and full of rivers and bayous, and density in a city only makes it worse. It's going to be really bad, then it's just going to get worse. Get ready, and here's how.

This scenario isn't without precedence.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

According to every expert I have seen interviewed.....

Aug 27, 2017, 7:19 PM [ in reply to Re: I am "all in". David, Clemson could set up collection..... ]

including one on Fox News, there would have been gridlock on the roads and many more deaths if the mayor had ordered an evacuation at the point the Governor began calling for one. The Houston area has 6.5 million people, the third largest in the country. There is absolutely no way to evacuate that many people from such a small area with only 48 hours notice. You would have to call in the National Guard to get that many people out in a week. You would have ended up with some people drowning in their cars and emergency workers not being able to get to anyone on the ground because of the clogged roads.

Just do what you can to help instead of looking for someone to blame.

Re: According to every expert I have seen interviewed.....

Aug 27, 2017, 8:21 PM

Listen bud I don't know what dirt pile you have your head in, as the death toll rises in Houston guess who will be blamed for the disaster? It sure as #### wont be his honor the mayor, but Governor Abbott's fault! Mark my words!!

Aug 27, 2017, 9:03 PM

I'm in Houston and you're an idiot. Not going waste time explaining why you are. But you are.

Aug 27, 2017, 9:24 PM

Are you on your roof waiting on the mayor to come save you???

Aug 27, 2017, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Re: According to every expert I have seen interviewed..... ]

You in Houston now??? But on tnet? Ok

Aug 28, 2017, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: According to every expert I have seen interviewed..... ]

Since you are in Houston overlooking everything from your roof top could you give us hourly updates from your view point or would that be to much to ask of you?

Aug 27, 2017, 9:40 PM

My brother in law left Norfolk at 0500 today to take command of USCG operations in Houston, he says that it's worse than Katrina. These people need help anyway they can get it.

Everybody seems to get wrapped up in the sound and the fury

Aug 27, 2017, 9:58 PM

of a storm at landfall, but it's the slow, quiet aftermath that the rains and flooding produce that generally cause the greatest devastation. That's why I'm so fearful now for the people of Houston - it's likely going to get far worse than it is now - then you start having a health crisis after a few days because of the bad water, which is still everywhere and hurting ingress and egress for food, medical, what have you. A LOT of people still in harm's way and it's far from over.

We collected donations at a game for Katrina (?)***

Aug 28, 2017, 6:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 7,045
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic