Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason

Apr 15, 2020, 4:17 PM

#1 Lie - regular people don't need masks. Well now we do. Why? Because they didn't want us getting masks before healthcare workers did.

#2 Lie - We need 14 days (then 30) social distancing to flatten the curve. Until there is a vaccine, the truth is that they're just trying not to overwhelm the hospitals. There are 2.4 m people in SC and roughly 5,800 hospital beds. If 50% of our population gets the virus at the current US average hospitalization rate of 4.5%, we would need 54,000 beds. I am guessing with our older population of retirees, african-american and other high risk groups our hospitalization rate is actually higher.

Without a vaccine or medications with a very high success rate for preventing hospitalization, I don't see much loosening of social distancing. I really think we have a few choices:

1) Get on with it and people die
2) "Lock up" all high risk populations and get on with it
3) Contact tracing to quarantine and let everyone else out

I am SOOO tired of hearing we need more testing. BS - unless you have enough tests to let everyone constantly test themselves, more testing does no good. Just because I test negative today doesn't mean that I will be negative tomorrow.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason

Apr 15, 2020, 4:20 PM

That impossible burgers are as good as beef.

Apr 15, 2020, 4:41 PM

EAt all of em you want- I'll take my backyard grass first.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 6:17 PM

I agree.

They are better than the pink slime at McDonalds

Apr 15, 2020, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Re: COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason ]

Re: They are better than the pink slime at McDonalds

Apr 15, 2020, 6:09 PM

https://www.cnet.com/news/pink-slime-in-burgers-mcdonalds-hires-former-mythbuster-to-find-out/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: They are better than the pink slime at McDonalds

Apr 18, 2020, 8:06 AM [ in reply to They are better than the pink slime at McDonalds ]

I'm not a fan of McDonald's, but they haven't used pink slime since 2014 according to an articlec and video I stumbled upon a few days ago iirc.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 4:23 PM

We're cycling out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your list only had 2 lies. That’s a big old mad post for 2 lies***

Apr 15, 2020, 4:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is encouraging is to hear the Left is now totally against

Apr 15, 2020, 6:17 PM

rationing of health care (such as ventilators) during the coronavirus outbreak by using pre-existing conditions (such as age, or severe disability) to "discriminate" on who gets life-saving resources and who is just left to die.

This position will certainly not suddenly hypocritically change when they have imposed "Medicare For All." No sir.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

80% of the US covid-19 deaths are people on Medicare

Apr 15, 2020, 6:31 PM

It must be really bad insurance.

Re: 80% of the US covid-19 deaths are people on Medicare

Apr 15, 2020, 9:27 PM

Nah, that must be because they are old.
You must be really stupid.

;)

It was great.***

Apr 15, 2020, 4:44 PM

I believe SC's population is closer to 5.2 million.***

Apr 15, 2020, 4:57 PM

Apr 15, 2020, 5:03 PM

Once during WWII, Winston Churchill said, Truth is so precious a commodity, that it often must be surrounded by a body guard of lies. Whether that pertains to our present time in history or not, I don't know, but that does make sense in a lot of cases.

As far as letting us old goats die, that is something I've heard a few times in recent weeks. It ain't an idea I'm real big on. The older generation has supported the country, served it's military, fought it's wars, and hopefully, we've made it a little easier on the next generation. There are still so many in the older generation, that although they are no longer in the work force, they still contribute, to our society and could continue to contribute if someone takes the time to listen to what they're saying.

As far as sacrificing myself, over the life of an infant, or a young person, with their whole life ahead of them, sure. I'll place my life in Gods hands, and being in His hands, I'll will never worry about my fate.

Don't know if any of this pertains to your original post or not, but I got wound up, and once I'm on a roll, it's hard to brake.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 6:10 PM

Love your Churchill quote.

I am actually at risk - 57 with severe persistent asthma.

I don’t like option 1 - just put it out there as an option. I do know the status quo can’t continue until there is a vaccine. I would gladly continue social distancing until then if my kids could go back to work.

Apr 15, 2020, 6:35 PM

My wife and I are both in the high risk zone, and my grandson,that is 6'7", weighs 285 pounds, and is very active in sports also suffers from asthma. Once during a football game, he had an attack so severe, that he had to be taken to the ER. I seriously worry about him, because he's at that age where he thinks he is indestructible, and nothing will happen to him.

One of our children is on furlough, and the other has to work from home. Hopefully, things will return to normal for all of us, and hopefully it will be soon.

Apr 16, 2020, 1:28 AM [ in reply to Re: COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason ]

I respect your position and I am sure I would feel the same way at your age. That said, sometimes a successful society must make the tough decisions. If we elect not to pursue the herd immunity method then we will likely see complete societal upheaval and an economy that would make the Great Depression blush. The greater good must prevail here, and that is the understanding that a million or 2 may die to preserve the wellbeing of the other 320 million in our country.

Apr 16, 2020, 7:59 AM

By “well-being” you actually mean financial stability. You sound like the kind of leader that would have been shot quickly in WW2.... by your own troops.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 5:04 PM

I would disagree with you on one fundamental point. Testing identifies, for the time being, those who are infected, without symptoms, so they can be isolated away from the population. Then contact tracing can be done on those they've had contact with so they can be tested, and if need be, also isolated to prevent more spread.

We cannot fight a fire blindfolded.

The U.S. has more cases than any other country in the world. On a per-capita basis, the U.S. is #10 in cases per million, among 130 countries.

Early testing and contact tracing could have prevented this virus from spreading so far and so fast.
Even now, we have no idea who or how many are infected.

If we can spend $12.9 billion for an aircraft carrier, we can protect innocent Americans.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

put a profit motive behind it for companies and they will

Apr 15, 2020, 5:10 PM

test the #### out of us

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2020, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason ]

Felix2® said:

I would disagree with you on one fundamental point. Testing identifies, for the time being, those who are infected, without symptoms, so they can be isolated away from the population. Then contact tracing can be done on those they've had contact with so they can be tested, and if need be, also isolated to prevent more spread.

We cannot fight a fire blindfolded.

The U.S. has more cases than any other country in the world. On a per-capita basis, the U.S. is #10 in cases per million, among 130 countries.

Early testing and contact tracing could have prevented this virus from spreading so far and so fast.
Even now, we have no idea who or how many are infected.

If we can spend $12.9 billion for an aircraft carrier, we can protect innocent Americans.

It needs to noted the US has the highest number of confirmed cases. This is because of the ramp up and scale of the current testing. Secondly, the US has been transparent about releasing those numbers. We have no idea about how many have COVID-19 in places like Russia, Iran, UK, and China because they are not transparent about the real numbers and/or are not sufficiently testing to provide accurate confirmed case numbers.

Apr 16, 2020, 1:30 AM [ in reply to Re: COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason ]

Testing and contact tracing is a complete pipedream. It sounds great in theory but contact tracing and enforcing associated quarantines is impossible when there are hundreds/thousands of cases. This is a global pandemic that will not be stopped until humanity has reached herd immunity (whether naturally or through a very successful vaccine).

Apr 15, 2020, 6:22 PM

I have read that this is not a virus but a protein which is the reason that washing hands
for 20 seconds with soap and water will kill it.

Apr 15, 2020, 6:59 PM

Where did you hear that?. Fox News. Believe me, this ain’t no protein.

Re: usually when the News is wrong

Apr 15, 2020, 9:52 PM

My experience is that Fox errors are because commentators cite anecdotal evidence instead of actual news. Sometimes they strive too hard to be the opposite of MSM.

MSNBC errors are based on misinterpretation and selection of facts to fit their overt agenda. They make no apologies for that.

But the only reporters who have outright shamefacedly lied to their audience? In my experience, that's CNN. An on-the-scene reporter files a report, and then the anchor totally contradicts them without any further information or explanation or even acknowledging the contradiction.

It's a virus, but yeah soap and water will kill it

Apr 15, 2020, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: COVID-19 Lies told to us - with good reason ]

When dissolved in water, the components in soap form circular “micelles,” exposing all of the water-loving ends outward. The coronavirus is coated with lipids and proteins, The hydrophilic (water-loving) component of soap acts to dissolve the lipids and break down the proteins, both of which actions help prevent the virus from entering the cells on the skin. Hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol also has effects on this virus. The alcohol acts to disrupt RNA molecules in the virus, preventing viral replication (in other words it blocks the virus from making copies of itself). But soap is slightly superior, as there is the scrubbing part that comes with hand washing with soap and water.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ninashapiro/2020/03/15/soap-and-water-1o1-why-its-best-for-covid-19-and-every-day/#26341856f60b

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's a virus, but yeah soap and water will kill it

Apr 18, 2020, 8:03 AM

I once knew someone who used full strength dishwashing liquid on a wet sponge to wash dishes because he thought diluted dishwashing soap couldn't be trusted unless it was 'really' sudsy. I always thought his thinking was off base on that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of lies......

Apr 15, 2020, 8:17 PM

Here's a good one....."There are 2.4 M people in SC."

Heck you big liar, you're wild guess is not even half right.

Re: Speaking of lies......

Apr 15, 2020, 9:24 PM

Sorry for incorrect # -was looking at a table and pulled the wrong number. Having a bigger population only means that if 4.5% of infected people get it we are even more likely to overwhelm our hospitals.

We can stick our heads in the sand but with no vaccine we are with this lockdown for 12+ months or we need a plan to protect the most vulnerable and let the rest return to something close to normal. Extending the current situation much longer is going to lead to possibly greater death and misery from depression, substance abuse, domestic abuse, etc. Not to mention there are enough people that will simply mutiny and dare the authorities to lock them up.

Re: Speaking of lies......

Apr 16, 2020, 8:49 PM

The 4.5% may be wrong too. If the US population is 330,000,000 then 4.5% of that number is 14,850,000. That's a big number since the last number of infected is 600 thousand plus. The world wide infection number is over 2 million. This virus is scary enough without the inflated numbers.

Please check back to the source of your numbers.

Apr 16, 2020, 8:12 AM

I’ll add some “mistakes” (won’t go so far as to call them lies)

1. Washing hands will prevent the spread.
2. Transmission is via “droplet spread” only.
3. Only the elderly are at risk.
4. Everyone needs a bailout. -Seriously- even Harvard got bailout money. With a 25-30 Billion dollar endowment. And professors that hate America and promote Chinese biological warfare efforts.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2020, 8:47 AM

they could have just been truthful and the outcome would be the same

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic