Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mutual Fund advice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Mutual Fund advice

Nov 16, 2020, 9:16 PM

Anyone have a Mutual fund approach that is solid, low on fees and easy to set up, watch and make adjustments on your own?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mutual Fund advice

Nov 16, 2020, 9:19 PM

i am tired tonight. How can you repost tomorrow so i can answer then?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 9:20 PM

T-mail me. I've got just what you're looking for. Can't miss opportunity! Don't hesitate.... Call Now!!! Operators waiting........

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I plowed my life savings into a Haitian Growth Fund years ago...

Nov 16, 2020, 9:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Nov 16, 2020, 9:24 PM

Buy stocks In marijuana... or sell it! Just don’t do it. Oh and buy dozens of 1 oz gold bullion. You’ll thank me in 2.5 years under Biden.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 8:20 AM

Saw some old game show host hawking gold yesterday on tv. he claimed 12,500 invested in gold in 1976(?) would be worth over 100k now. But 9,600 invested in MSFT on 11/21/91 is worth 1,042,704 today

If you're long term in funds go for aggressive growth large cap. That will put you in the FANG stocks plus some others. My Invesco and Fidelity funds(VAFAX and FAGOX) have averaged over 9% for the last 27 years.

Vanguard

Nov 16, 2020, 9:25 PM

S&P 500 Index Fund. Super low fees. Not technically a mutual fund, it's an index fund, but that's the point.
The approach is buy and hold. It's that simple.
If you think you can actively manage and beat the S&P 500 over the long term, good luck.

https://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/large-value/vanguard-s-p-500-value-index-fund/vspvx/fees

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

^^^This, Vanguard S and P 500. Invest enough or long enough

Nov 16, 2020, 9:47 PM

and you'll get Admiral shares which are quite low

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^This, Vanguard S and P 500. Invest enough or long enough

Nov 16, 2020, 11:11 PM

Not a mutual fund but you could also look at VOO s&p 500 etf. Expenses are lower than s&p 500 mf admiral shares
and you dont need a certain dollar amt to get the lower expenses.

Re: Vanguard

Nov 16, 2020, 11:19 PM [ in reply to Vanguard ]

I’ll chime in my 2 cents in support of TS’s recommendation.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what I recommended my kid start out with

Nov 17, 2020, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Vanguard ]

she has been in it 2 years now and obviously pleased.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another option is ETF

Nov 17, 2020, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Vanguard ]

they are basically mutual funds but trade like stocks if you want to gear toward a different index

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vanguard

Nov 17, 2020, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Vanguard ]

100% of my retirement is gping into an s&p fund at the moment. I'm 41 years old and can afford to be aggressive, if your closer to retirement you may want to mix in some bonds as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, you’re asking for investment advice on TigerNet?

Nov 16, 2020, 9:33 PM

??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel***

Nov 16, 2020, 9:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel***

Nov 16, 2020, 9:44 PM

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

It's only one area I'm asking.

Nov 16, 2020, 9:53 PM [ in reply to LOL, you’re asking for investment advice on TigerNet? ]

I'm doing some research on my own, asking friends, ask two CPA friends, so I'm gathering information form multiple places.

I was just giving you a hard time.

Nov 16, 2020, 10:09 PM

I agree with the index fund advice. S&P 500 is good, as is the QQQ. You can’t go wrong with those, as they combine the success of the top companies.

I hear orange overalls are coming back in style...***

Nov 17, 2020, 1:17 PM [ in reply to LOL, you’re asking for investment advice on TigerNet? ]

Nov 16, 2020, 9:53 PM

The oldest story in investing: How can you make one million dollars quickly? You start with two million dollars...

Buy spurtles***

Nov 16, 2020, 10:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 10:18 PM

S&P 500 Index Fund. It has out performed most mutual funds.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2020, 10:39 PM

As an investment advisor of 26 years, I think you should....

No, I don't want to lose my license by doing this over Tnet!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thurston Howell sez

Nov 17, 2020, 9:15 AM

Amalgamated Stock

I have personally had great luck with some of the American

Nov 17, 2020, 9:28 AM

funds. I like the ones that have some dividend stocks as a part of the group.

You can manage your own stuff through something like TD Ameritrade, Merrel Lynch, or the like.

Just do some reasearch on the type of mutual fund you are looking for. Growth, Income, By Sector, whatever. There are lots of articles on the top picks in each of the categories. Pay attention to the fees like you mentioned. But sometimes a little more fee gets you much better performance.

Decide your risk comfort, your goals, what makes you feel good, and let it rip!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buy Ammo...

Nov 17, 2020, 9:47 AM

There is way more demand than supply and it will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Ammo also has the added benefit that if the great apocalypse happens it will be more valuable (through it's application or trade) than any currency or coin in getting everything else you need in life. If the great apocalypse doesn't happen - you can also have fun just blasting rounds at the range...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to go wrong with ammo! And hey, it is getting on

Nov 17, 2020, 1:43 PM

toward the Christmas season...........

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 12:38 PM

When the market tanked due to Rona, I moved a heavy stash into contrarian funds (seeks to invest in undervalued companies). Obviously it did VERY well.
It’s a unique time to invest. The market is at or near all time highs. The “changing of the guard” will likely have a negative impact due to increased corporate taxation, but the COVID vaccines coming to market may offset that. The old advice of a blended fund doesn’t currently work. Bonds are devastated when interest rates rise. Interest rates are at record lows and the only movement can be up,, so you can’t go with bonds. Where does one park their money?
In the coming weeks I will likely move 50% of my investment into S&P 500 and hopefully get decent dividends, and place the other half into a market fund that earns just enough to hedge against Inflation. On the bright side, I will have “available cash “ to swoop in on deals after a market tank/correction.
On another note: I have also considered buying a few shares of Berkshire Hathaway and letting them worry about it.

The good thing about Berkshire Hathaway is

Nov 17, 2020, 12:55 PM

They're flush with cash...incredibly so.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2020, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Mutual Fund advice ]

If you can afford BRK.A which is currently at 350k a share I'm pretty jealous of your retirement portfolio.

Nov 17, 2020, 11:40 PM

Didn’t happen overnight. That’s 25 years of socking away 10-15 % of salary toward retirement.

Nov 17, 2020, 2:22 PM

Um, yes.

Nov 18, 2020, 11:21 AM

On a serious note, invest with fidelity. I have had good results with them. It's a decent time to invest but wait until the market drops to buy in.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic