Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Very disappointed in admissions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 201

Very disappointed in admissions

Feb 12, 2018, 5:29 PM

Son did not get admitted. Waitlisted for the bridge program with a 4.3 GPA. Admittedly not great ACT scores but he just doesn’t test well. Being a third generation Tiger doesn’t count for anything. ####. Now he’s deciding between Coastal and USC

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Very disappointed in admissions

Feb 12, 2018, 5:35 PM

Coastal has a better baseball program

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 12, 2018, 5:38 PM

And more STD's, or so I've been told.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't mess with JMU or Radford when it comes to STD's

Feb 12, 2018, 5:56 PM

rumor has it those 2 were terrible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont give up so quickly

Feb 12, 2018, 5:36 PM

my kid was not accepted in the business school, was offered to come in as a sophomore, which i think was a fair offer, but ended up going somewhere else and decided to stay and doing very well

hurts for a little while, but it will pass

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: dont give up so quickly

Feb 12, 2018, 7:13 PM

Homer Bedloe. Must have been weird. Kept wanting to close down the RR in Hooterville. I would have been there weekly to check on the Bradley girls.

You can appeal the decision***

Feb 12, 2018, 5:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:54 PM

He hit the jackpot. He can go to Tri-County Tech and get the Life Scholarship. Take the normal gen-ed courses his first year. He will do well, you will save money and he'll transfer into Clemson for his sophomore year.

Exactly!

Feb 12, 2018, 6:07 PM

Frankly the best course of action for most college bound students

save money?

Feb 12, 2018, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Very disappointed in admissions ]

Aren't you forced to live in the Dorie Helms/Tom Winkopp luxury suites?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Very disappointed in admissions ]

My youngest son transferred to Clemson after a free year at Florence Darlington Tech. They have a easy system for transferring credits from a Tech school also! Highly recommend it!

Bridge is definitely worth looking into.

Feb 12, 2018, 5:55 PM

I had three kids attend Clemson. Our daughter graduated last year in packaging science, one son is a senior (finance), and one son freshman ( compute science). The middle did one did the Bridge Program and it was good for him. It also allows you to wipe the slate clean GPA wise from the freshman year. There is no application process for sophomore year- get the grades and you are automatically in main campus as a sophomore. He now has a 3.5 and graduates in May (with a job already).

There is absolute no stigma with it. Same degree and a bit cheaper the first year. Plus the location is much better now than a few yrs ago. Not for everyone but, in four years they likely won't regret it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 6:00 PM

WCU its cheaper and close enough to Clemson to make a trip there and back for games in a day and go see his friends that go there thats what Im doing

was in the second ever Bridge class

Feb 12, 2018, 6:03 PM

Good high school student just had a pretty poor SAT score in math. I came from out of state but family had a lot of legacy. Felt like many other legacy kids with testing scores on the lower end got bridged.

I missed out on a couple things being off campus over in Central but I believe they’ve moved the kids to campus or in the immediate area. Graduated 2nd in my major after 4 years, studied abroad, played club sports and my degree is just as good as anyone else. Would recommend

Feb 12, 2018, 6:04 PM

He can do better Than working at Mackey dees

There's a serious divide between CU versus USC & Coastal

Feb 12, 2018, 7:03 PM

There aren't other schools in-between that are a better option?

USC is a good school if u can afford those California rates***

Feb 12, 2018, 7:04 PM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

We were shocked when our youngest didn’t get admitted,

Feb 12, 2018, 7:12 PM

She was accepted at USC Moore School of Business. We had a friend that recommended Bridge.

My daughter wasn’t sure at first bc she felt it might be looked at as a lesser entrance.

Anyway, she went Bridge than transferred right over her Soph year....ended up with 2 degrees. She said she would do it all over again.

I would definitely suggest looking into it. It’s a great program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 7:12 PM

SO what kind of animal is this if he is on a bridge?

Feb 12, 2018, 7:18 PM

My "bridge" included working all 4 years, living at home and missing ALL campus activities except a few football games, lots of pool between classes and super 70 sandwiches in the old canteen. But I survived and learned to appreciate things. It doesn't hurt to struggle and suffer a little bit, particularly at that age. Better to endure it then, rather than have to learn those lessons later. I did well enough to go back and get M.S. degree. Cannot imagine my working life without doing what I did. If my son gets a chance at Bridge I will strongly recommend it.

He'll be fine.

Feb 12, 2018, 7:21 PM

My oldest daughter didn't make it either, but was invited into The Bridge program. After one semester, she decided it just wasn't for her, and transferred to College Of Charleston. It was the right move for her. Clemson is tough to get into now, and a ton of smart, very capable kids just don't make it in. I understand your disappointment, but kids adapt very easily.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 12, 2018, 9:33 PM

I am a SAT tutor and tell all my students that they need at least a 1350 to get in Clemson. I am always told by parents that their children don't test well and I find out that the have been spoon fed and have no critical thinking ability. Grading is greatly inflated.

You are so right about the critical thinking

Feb 12, 2018, 10:47 PM

Some smart kids don't test well! I had a neighber, about 10

Feb 12, 2018, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Very disappointed in admissions ]

years ago, who had great grades and extracurriculars in high school, but a so-so SAT. He bridged at Clemson, graduated with a 4.0, went to law school and graduated with great grades and now works at one of the top law firms in the upstate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2018, 1:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Very disappointed in admissions ]

Correct. There's no doubt that some people don't test well (the SAT is not a perfect predictor of anything) but there's also a lot of people who think they don't test well but in fact test right at their intelligence level. Almost everybody is dumber than they or their parents think.

Now I'm starting to realize why the coots hate us so much...

Feb 12, 2018, 9:39 PM

They want to go to Clemson, get denied, then live with the animosity for the rest of their lives.

Transfer in after one year.

Feb 12, 2018, 9:40 PM

Toughest time in history to get admission into Clemson. Can’t say I’m complaining to be honest.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 9:56 PM

My daughter was also accepted to the bridge program with 3.92 unweighted GPA in a STEM magnet school with 4 AP classes. She doesn’t test well (1220 SAT) but has tons of extracurriculars- Swim Team captain 2 years, works as lifeguard / swim instructor. She is going to be a Florida Gator as they do a holistic review and is actually a much higher rated school. Not real impressed with Clemson’s admissions... I’m still going to be a huge fan but our family’s multi-generation Clemson family ends with me & my wife.

Why do you (and others) feel the need to diss Clemson just

Feb 13, 2018, 8:08 AM

because your child was not accepted? (See your "Very disappointed in Admissions, Florida is a higher rated school anyway" comments). Per the numbers, there are also ~24,000 other sets of parents who are disappointed because their child didn't get in. There had to be many reasons your child wanted to go to Clemson in the first place, those haven't changed just because she did not directly get in. If she got accepted into Bridge, then the decision for her not to go to Clemson is your pissed off prideful one, not Clemsons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2018, 10:10 PM

My daughter was in the first bridge class. She had tried to get into computer graphics which is a closed program and very competitive. She got accepted as a transfer into computer graphics as a sophomore had a great time in the bridge program and did exceptionally well at Clemson. I don’t think she regrets it for one moment and we certainly don’t. We saved a lot of money and she had a great experience And is a very very proud Clemson graduate.

Feb 12, 2018, 10:16 PM

A 4.3 GPA with average test scores is not as impressive as a 3.6 GPA with a 32+ ACT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t see the big deal, both my daughters

Feb 12, 2018, 10:29 PM

Started at another school and then transferred in because they had two and four years of scholarships. They did their research an all their hours/credits transferred in.

I went to Coastal Carolina first myself by choice because I wanted to be at the beach ?? along with my best friend and then we transferred to Clemson. I wouldn’t do it any other way.

My oldest got a degree at Winston-Salem State on scholarship as a minority first an I was so proud because it was full paid for minus her living at home.

I love Clemson regardless if they had chosen to go afterwards. I’m so proud of both of them for taking advantage of the scholarships the were given because they had worked so hard to get them and we were a big part of that for years.

They saved me lots of money!

Go Tigers!!

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

It's all about SAT/ACT scores.

Feb 12, 2018, 10:51 PM

Unless he can fill a quota.

Go JC and finish at Clemson. WHo cares?

Feb 13, 2018, 4:41 AM

Coastal over a Clemson degree? Get tough and still graduate Clemson.

Feb 13, 2018, 7:17 AM

Like others has said. I would advise your son to go to tri county for two years or even one and knock out most of his gen eds. Save a lot of money and still get the same degree as the other those freshmen. I went to tech school out of the military and came out with a 3.8 GPA. As a transfer all I really needed was a 3.0. Also if he's going for one of the more competitive majors I would advise him to apply into an easier major then change majors once he's in. I can tell you I have the same degree and ring as the 4 year guys I graduated with. No shame.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 201
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic