Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brew of the evening. Fast becoming a top 10 for me..........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 416

Brew of the evening. Fast becoming a top 10 for me..........

Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 PM

And no it's not expensive at around 2.60 a beer. Go to a bar and you'll pay at least 5.

Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin

Our Grapefruit Sculpin is the latest take on our signature IPA. Some may say there are few ways to improve Sculpin’s unique flavor, but the tart freshness of grapefruit perfectly complements our IPA’s citrusy hop character. Grapefruit’s a winter fruit, but this easy-drinking ale tastes like summer.

7% abv

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brew of the evening. Fast becoming a top 10 for me..........

Aug 31, 2015, 7:21 PM

I had one of these this weekend! I am not a fruit beer type of guy, but that is a good beer.

I also had Hell or High Watermelon and that was good too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't put it in the fruit beer IMO. Because ...........

Aug 31, 2015, 7:51 PM

most IPA's have citrus in them.

But yes a ### good beer. Glad you enjoyed it A.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So not a fan of that one

Aug 31, 2015, 9:01 PM

I'll take the regular Sculpin everyday over the grapefruit version. But I've got a case of 14st Star Tribute to drink in the interim.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a new one on me? ******

Aug 31, 2015, 9:04 PM

Just got back from a week in Vermont

Aug 31, 2015, 10:04 PM

Small brewery in St. Albans, VT that was started in Afghanistan on a napkin. Once the guy returned home, he started 14th Star.

This write up was in 2013 - http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/14th-star-brewing-brings-craft-beer-to-st-albans/Content?oid=2244035

They're celebrated for their Maple Breakfast Stout (which I didn't love - but a lot do) but I really liked Valor (hoppy red) and Tribute (Double IPA). Left the tap house with about a $145 tab and a bunch of delicious stuff.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love that story and the brew sounds good. Maybe.......

Aug 31, 2015, 10:08 PM

one day I will get to try it.

Wow. I just opened my first one ever.

Aug 31, 2015, 9:09 PM

And the first of the night. I like it and am glad you and others on here recommended.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad you like it. Sláinte mhaith. *******

Aug 31, 2015, 9:57 PM

My opinion of this beer has improved markedly since

Sep 1, 2015, 8:34 AM

stores stopped charging $15.99 for it. At $12.99 the Sculpin and grapefruit Sculpin are my favorite widely accessible beers behind the Sixpoint Bengali.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just can't get behind the grapefruit movement.

Sep 1, 2015, 8:39 AM

I've had some that were okay, but some that were just nasty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, that is a good beer.***

Sep 1, 2015, 8:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got a new regional one I found over the summer...it's top 3

Sep 1, 2015, 11:33 AM

for me now. You may have had it but I think they're still only distributed around Wisconsin.

Scream pierces reality, effortlessly slicing our sky, He flies over the Brewery just as Abe circled over Wisconsin’s 8th Infantry during the Civil War. He calls us to something bigger. Scream boasts an inspired 85 IBUs that reverberate cleanly though this IIPA. New Glarus Brewery grown estate hops join other Wisconsin grown hops to dominate this brew from Kettle Boil to Dry Hopping. You hold a deceptively seductive Original Gravity of 20.9 degrees Plato following the always 100% naturally bottle conditioned fermentation. Luscious Wisconsin grown and malted barley along with English Maris Otter malt is the bold heart of this lustful sensory enchantment. Surrender is inevitable so enjoy today.

9.0% ABV

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've actually picked up a couple of New Glarus brews at the

Sep 1, 2015, 11:37 AM

Wall Of Beer in Pendleton, but have not had the scream.

On a side note that is still beer-related...I wish I could get Yazoo down here. It's not the greatest beer in America by any stretch, but they make some good ones and the price is pretty reasonable.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum....in many bars here

Sep 1, 2015, 11:45 AM

I wish I could get something OTHER than Yazoo. Craft beer ain't exactly flowing in middle TN. It's taxed like liquor (some of the highest in nation for beer), and there are some goofy rules that prevent microbreweries from opening here....i.e. If you open a microbrewery in TN and want to sell some of your wares to your patrons, you have to sell your beer to a distributor, buy it back from said distributor, and THEN you can sell it to your customers.

On a positive note, the proximity to the bourbon trail means killer bourbon selections and prices about 20% less than in SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Nashville is one of the few places outside of Texas

Sep 1, 2015, 11:53 AM

that you can actually get your hands on Balcones Baby Blue. Pick up a bottle of that if you're looking to add a hellaciously wonderful whiskey to your collection.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm on it...thx***

Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM

New Glarus isn't supposed to be in SC. But occasionally ....

Sep 1, 2015, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Got a new regional one I found over the summer...it's top 3 ]

you can find some. ;)

I haven't had that one though.

Also Celtic, if you like the grapefruit you might like this

Sep 1, 2015, 11:49 AM

Always try to get some when I'm out west....I don't prefer it to a traditional IPA, but it's nice to have for something different and the citrus flavor is pretty darn good.

Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA

This mouthwateringly delicious IPA gets its flavor from a heavy helping of Citra and Mosaic hops. Don't worry, no fruit was harmed in the making of this beer.

60 IBU 6.4% ABV

I love Deschutes. I've got my fingers.............

Sep 1, 2015, 5:46 PM

crossed that they choose Gville for the expansion!

Even if they choose Asheville at least we'll be able to get it.

Next you'll be drinkin' H3ll or High Watermelon....

Sep 1, 2015, 2:25 PM

Love da Scuplin, but keep the grapefruit.....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I've tasted and drained poured that! I don't get the hate..

Sep 1, 2015, 5:44 PM

for the grapefruit. I would never eat one!

But IPA's have different varieties of citrus flavor. So it's in there the vast majority of the time you drink a IPA.

BTW as posted before I don't care for it on tap as much.

Replies: 21
| visibility 416
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic