Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Something (relatively) positive about Tajh Boyd for once
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Something (relatively) positive about Tajh Boyd for once

Jan 30, 2014, 2:31 PM

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

And, suck it Tony Pauline.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad you posted this. So if you actually ask the folks

Jan 30, 2014, 2:44 PM

that do the hiring, they peg him as a 3rd rounder there bouts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Glad you posted this. So if you actually ask the folks

Jan 30, 2014, 2:55 PM

It is also the second article in two days to reference Boyd participating in the combine (There was an article in the Anderson Independent yesterday but hidden behind a pay wall now). Pauline has also been spreading the idea that Boyd wasn't invited. Clemson hasn't made any official releases about the combine. Of course Spurrier announced Connor Shaw was invited as soon as their bowl game was over so people are also trying to use that as some evidence Boyd hasn't been invited. Now, these two writers might just be making an assumption that Boyd is participating but I hope not. I think the combine would be good for him at this point. Nothing I've seen or heard in the last 4 years would make me question his intelligence so hopefully he can put that nonsense to bed too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what has the GB guy so h3llbent on trashing Clemson/

Jan 30, 2014, 3:30 PM

Tajh? Is he coot crayon grad, Sharpe/ Brooks fan? Sorry to pester but I missed that hidden agenda (and I'm here often.)

Re: So what has the GB guy so h3llbent on trashing Clemson/

Jan 30, 2014, 3:43 PM

Not to my knowledge. He runs a draft website and is a freelance writer who has had articles published in SI and USA Today. My best theory is that Boyd was the highest profile athlete at the senior bowl so trashing him would be the best way to drive traffic to his stupid website. It seems to have worked since he landed multiple radio interviews in SC and has been mentioned in multiple newspaper articles too.

Well thnx anyway and I think you are correct as well.

Jan 30, 2014, 3:51 PM

Nobody can man up and shoot straight, although tnet did so I'll rely on them from now on. I finally donated because of that which should have been done long ago.

Boyd's Intelligence

Jan 30, 2014, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad you posted this. So if you actually ask the folks ]

Back in the season Chad came out and said they were simplifying the offense, going back to basics was the article title. I think everyone assumed this move was made because of the younger players not being able to pick up Chad's offensive plays and lingo causing confusion on the field. However, after reading that several teams are questioning Tajh's intelligence if it was actually Tajh not picking up the offense and causing problems. Before anyone says that's impossible Tajh had been in the system many years please remember that Morris said that he re-vamped all his play calling, changed the lingo, and the way the plays were called in prior to the start of this past season. Essentially everyone had to start over re-learning the offense. Before I get bashed I want to add I do not think when they say they question his intelligence that they are saying Tajh is dumb, but that they are questioning his football IQ, or his ability to learn plays quickly.

That's likely.

Jan 30, 2014, 3:42 PM

The QB just about has to know every player's assignment to execute a play properly. Given Tajh's propensity to go brain dead for quarters at a time, which also lasted through the end of one game and the entirety of the next, I'd say you're right.

I don't think it's a reflection on his intelligence but his ability to focus during some particular stressful times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's likely.

Jan 30, 2014, 3:46 PM

wow, just wow

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1.... Seems the grass is always greener.... somewhere.***

Jan 30, 2014, 3:50 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boyd's Intelligence

Jan 30, 2014, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Boyd's Intelligence ]

yep, god knows how he set over 50 clemson and acc records having no football iq. he is my thought. a lot of posters on this board do not have the iq of a gnat. how do you even think up bs like this.

Jan 30, 2014, 3:58 PM

I said his IQ was in question because of his ability to learn plays in a timely manner, not that he had zero football knowledge. I think he learns the plays fine, it just takes a while to do so. I think this is why the offense looked much smoother in 2012, Tajh was on his second year of running the same plays. This year when the plays were changes around you saw a lot of bone headed moves and were left wondering exactly what just happened at several points during the season and I think that was a result of him not fully knowing the plays after the play book/ language was changed. He set those records on last years offense which he had been running for two years and knew very well & his stats from this year were from running a watered down simplified offense, imagine what the numbers would have been if we could have successfully operated with a full play book all year.

One question. If we're setting records, why change it?***

Jan 30, 2014, 4:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One question. If we're setting records, why change it?***

Jan 30, 2014, 4:03 PM

I don't know ask Chad Morris why he felt it necessary to make changes to it prior to the season after Boyd had already been using the same plays and play names for two years. I think that is what led to the whole "going back to basics".

Jan 30, 2014, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Boyd's Intelligence ]

once again, the total bs you just typed speaks for itself. not much more needs to be said. smfh beyond belief.

In defense of TT, I read this somewhere before. It is not

Jan 30, 2014, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Boyd's Intelligence ]

a question of intelligence but his personal confidence. I think Steve Jobs once said..."No one is any smarter than you are and as soon as you realize this you can go on and do great things..."

For the hair-splitters, that is not verbatim I know

Jan 30, 2014, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Boyd's Intelligence ]

This was Tajh's third season. How could he have lasted till then if he was the weak link in understanding Morris's system? If Morris said 'I've never even been able to run my system because our players can't grasp it that would be one thing. But he supposedly had it mostly Installed in year two and regressed for part of year three. I have a hard time pinning that solely on the QB. Plus, Morris doesn't use a pro-set and has a very particular and unique system. Similar concerns were echoed about Cam Newton coming out of Auburn. There may be a learning curve but I don't have any reason to doubt Boyd's basic intelligence, which is a far cry from his immediate grasp of a pro football playbook. I don't get paid to prognosticate the draft and do not make money on click bait headlines insulting players. Until that time I'm standing up for our guy until I see incontrovertible evidence otherwise.

Jan 30, 2014, 4:09 PM

But the system was modified coming into this season so the play names and calls Tajh had been using for the previous two years were changed, that's why I said basically he had to learn new plays this year and we saw that led to causing him confusion which is why NFL teams are saying they are questioning his intelligence. Morris would not say specifically that the players/a player not picking up plays was causing a problem but everyone assumed that was the reason for watering down the offense and going back to running the base sets half way thru the year. Most thought it was due to young players/ offensive line but my point simply is that I think Tajh may have been one of the ones struggling the most.

Jan 30, 2014, 4:44 PM

But you are making some huge leaps in your reasoning.

First, no one made any of these intelligence assertions until the Senior Bowl. I think this has more to do with his ability to communicate with and understand the Falcons staff than anything regarding his time at Clemson.

Second, you are acting like Morris made radical changes to the play book in year three. I don't recall ever reading any such thing and certainly didn't see it - even when we were sputtering. Regardless, any language system, including a football playbook, builds on itself. Morris didn't jettison two years of work to try a whole new system in year three. What ever wrinkles we hadn't seen were added on top of the existing system. Yes, Morris spoke fairly harshly after the offense stumbled in some early outings. But he didn't scrap a new system and go back to an old system. He just dialed it back to what what he, and everyone else knows works. All three years, when the offense isn't clicking, we would throw to the flats to help Tajh get in rhythm. Morris hashtags all his own tweets #tempo. His system is more about timing and pace more than being super tricky anyway. And a QB getting out of rhythm in such a system has little to do with his intelligence. Generally, if you are failing at a physical task it helps to slow down, get centered, go through a routine that allows muscle memory to take over. The pace at which Morris demands this offense run doesn't really allow for this. So it falls back on plays that a QB like Boyd can pretty much do in his sleep and are very low risk.

So just for the sake of your argument lets imagine Morris offense as a 3 stage system. At the end of season two stage 2 was fully installed. Prior to season three he installed stage 3. What we know is this. Boyd executed stage 2 for an entire season and set records in the process. At the beginning of season 3 something was not working right and Morris, according to him, went back to the basics - i.e. stage 1. If we know that Boyd could execute stage 2 and we know Morris chose to go back to stage 1 why would you leap to the conclusion that it was Boyd's intelligence that led to the regression. If Boyd was fundamentally the problem would the best solution not have been to return to stage 2?

Jan 30, 2014, 5:13 PM

To be fair your points are very good and you have good reasoning.

On Morris and the playbook change, I remember in the summer there was an article and it was talked about on the radio that Morris wanted to increase the tempo this year even more. To accomplish that he had completely changed up the language of the play calls and the way they were called in to the field but he did not change the actual plays but did add new plays into the mix.

My answer to why we did not drop back to stage 2 when the offense sputtered is that after the play calling was changed Tajh even struggled to run stage 2 even though he had such great success with the same plays the year before due to the simple change of the language. He had to go back to stage 1 to re-learn the calls and I think we saw the offense get back to stage 2 at the end of the year with success vs. GT and Ohio St. I think the best solution would have been to go back to stage 2 and I think the fact that we had to go back to stage 1 shows Boyd had difficulty understanding the changes made in the play calling which is why teams would be questioning his intelligence.

I think Chad made a mistake making to many changes leading into the year and the offense paid for it.

Jan 30, 2014, 6:42 PM

Like getting away from the run that was working well in the last two coot games. So that he could get pretty with Sammy throwing INT. His play calling has put Tajh in some bad situations that put Tajh under unnecessary pressure. Chad has a good offensive scheme, and it will be successful. But I think that he sometimes forgets that he is not calling plays against HS DCs. Its like his plays are set in stone from start to finish in a game.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2014, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Boyd's Intelligence ]

With Tajh having the option to change plays at the L O S, I don't think it has anything to do with Tajh not knowing the plays. But understand this, Morris's offense does have a lot of different things go on at once. It's not simple like he would like for people to believe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: Boyd's Intelligence

Jan 30, 2014, 6:57 PM

Has anyone ever came out and said Tajh actually changed or audibled out of any plays? Honest question because I never recall anybody say "we had this called and Tajh read the defense and made a change" or anything like that. I agree chads offense is complicated which is why I don't understand why he had to change up his lingo from last year. Yeah he wanted to run more plays and thought it would help but his offense was already running at a high pace and being successful.

Jan 30, 2014, 7:07 PM

still at it huh. beginning to wonder if you are actually a tiger fan.

Jan 30, 2014, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: Boyd's Intelligence ]

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/TD-pass-Hopkins-audible-Boyd-6944 hth

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Re: Re: Re: Boyd's Intelligence

Jan 30, 2014, 7:31 PM

Thanks for the article I haven't seen that. Would like to know how many times that has happened this year.

I think a red flag for me is Tajh's decision in the OB

Jan 31, 2014, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Boyd's Intelligence ]

to throw into traffic late the game instead of running. Especially since he was told to not throw, he even had a big post game laugh about it. So, what's the underlying issue there, "game understanding" or "will not following coaching"?

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic