Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BourbonNet
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

BourbonNet

Feb 22, 2021, 10:23 AM

I have been seeing some of these bottles cropping up on social media lately, but never been able to get my hands on one. A buddy traded a Blantons for one (good trade for him, bad trade for the other guy) and we opened it up yesterday. Absolutely blown away by this one. Frugal MacDoogal picked this bottle (the Nashville store, I believe) and knocked this #### out of the park. 8 year sourced MGP rye at nearly 115 proof. Rich honey, red velvet, and what I perceived to be a hazelnut spread, like Nutella.

The bad news about this bottle is retail is $112, which is PRICEY. A local group I am in has a pick available, but I am hesitant to pull the trigger based on the cost. Highly recommend yall try one of these if you can.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Noted.***

Feb 22, 2021, 10:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At anything over about $70 I'm not a buyer.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:27 AM

Try to find the cheaper/midrange stuff that's 90% good, versus the super expensive stuff that's 98% good. Same with wine. $20/bottle is my limit there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been reaching for the cheaper stuff lately

Feb 22, 2021, 10:52 AM

And generally have this same opinion, especially if I haven't tried it. I've spent more than $100 for a bottle twice:

-Sam Houston 14 year (which I have not opened, but have heard pretty great reviews)
-Elijah Craig 18 (which I have opened, and was quite underwhelmed with due to the proof point. Once I came to terms with the proof, I was able to enjoy it for what it is)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been pretty fond of Breckenridge bourbon lately.

Feb 22, 2021, 11:00 AM

Sounds gimmicky if you read the bottle. Could care less. Taste is great for the $40 price tag.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Evan Williams White Label, Wild Turkey 101 and

Feb 22, 2021, 11:08 AM

Old Granddad bottled in bond are my rotations for cheap bourbon. The $30-$50 price range really doesn't entice me very much because its all the "small batch" 80-90 proof bottles that don't really impress me.

What really bummed me out was the price hike of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof from $60 to $70.

A decent 12 year scotch is really about $100

Feb 23, 2021, 10:46 AM [ in reply to At anything over about $70 I'm not a buyer. ]

and well worth the money

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice. $112 is a pricey bottle for Greenr. My Cigar &

Feb 22, 2021, 10:29 AM

Cocktail club (was gonna be bourbon but we drink any liquor drink) met last week and had Redbreast Irish Whisky but I was unable to attend. Apparently everyone thought it was smooth AF and a really great bottle. I think locally it retails for around $75.

Any experience with Irish Whiskys and is that a good one? I've only ventured down the Jameson road, and not too far down that one.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have heard a lot of good reviews about Redbreast

Feb 22, 2021, 10:46 AM

and it being smooth and very drinkable like you mentioned. I have 0 experience with Irish Whiskey. Along with that, I am a novice on scotch.

That being said, two scotches I can recommend with every fabric of my being:

-Glenfarclas 105
-Balvenie Double Wood 12 Year

Agree on the Balvenie, we had that a few months ago

Feb 22, 2021, 10:52 AM

(the Doublewood) and another bottle, maybe American Oak, both were great but that isn't a peaty scotch.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You want peaty, you got to get an Islay scotch.

Feb 23, 2021, 8:13 AM

Balvenie releases one every now and then called Peat Week. If you find that, buy it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^THIS^^^

Feb 23, 2021, 10:47 AM

dew
wreck or
mend

SCBC did a Nashville Barrel pick last year, and people

Feb 22, 2021, 10:46 AM

won't shut up about how good it is, leading me to remorse for not grabbing one. Price was a factor since it was north of a bill and I didn't know much about the brand.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We did a rye day yesterday

Feb 22, 2021, 10:49 AM

Bottles on the table were:

-NBC 8 year pick
-1792 High Rye
-Willett 4 year
-Alberta Cask
-Sagamore Spirit Cask
-EHT Straight Rye
-Knobb Single Barrel pick

The NBC was so good (to me) that it made the other bottles, which I normally enjoy on their own, worse. The Sagamore was kinda trash though.

Almost bought the Whistlepig Piggy Back rye on Friday

Feb 22, 2021, 10:51 AM

But held off. It wasn’t exorbitant, but more than I’d drop on an unknown. You guys had it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't

Feb 22, 2021, 10:53 AM

But have heard it is absolute trash. Therefore, I cannot recommend it.

WP makes (or blends/ages/bottles) good to fantastic juice.

Feb 22, 2021, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Almost bought the Whistlepig Piggy Back rye on Friday ]

I've heard the PiggyBack the exception. I'm pretty sure it's the youngest thing they've ever put in a bottle at 6 years, if I'm remembering.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

South Charleston Bougie Cotillion?***

Feb 22, 2021, 10:49 AM [ in reply to SCBC did a Nashville Barrel pick last year, and people ]

South Charleston Bourbon Club

Feb 23, 2021, 10:49 AM

it's pretty snooty

FYI...

Feb 22, 2021, 10:54 AM

"Rare whisky has outperformed every other luxury asset, including fine wine, soaring some 564% in the last decade, according to the Knight Frank 2020 Wealth Report"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-22/best-scotch-whisky-bourbon-and-irish-whiskey-for-collecting

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Secondary prices have nearly doubled during COVID

Feb 22, 2021, 10:57 AM

If you want anything midrange, say, anything from Buffalo Trace (which isn't my favorite, by any means), you're paying 2x MSRP.

COVID, and the fact that I'm not moving about like before

Feb 22, 2021, 11:05 AM

has forced me back into my old standbys. I still have some nice bottles that were gifted, but I'm nursing those and only really replacing the Rebel Yell on the regular. Same with beers, bought an 18 pack of Miller High Life bottles at the grocery yesterday. I'm just not chasing the white whales at the moment because I'm not out and about like in the past.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

By white whales

Feb 22, 2021, 11:06 AM

You mean natural light in the throwback cans? I tried those the other day and I swear the can made it taste better.

Frugal Mcdoogal doesn't seem to be too Frugal...***

Feb 23, 2021, 10:42 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic