Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
economics of Tigers-UGA game in 2020....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

economics of Tigers-UGA game in 2020....

Feb 22, 2020, 10:07 AM

I am trying to figure out money matters here. We gave $1.1 million to Wyoming to buy them out, and UGA gave $1.8mil to their opponent to buy their game out. Both of us lose a home game, and at best can sell about 1/2 the number of ticket to a neutral site game than a home game. Then there is the expense of travel, which must be considerable. How much does TV have to pay us to make this worthwhile? And whatever money we get, DO WE HAVE TO SHARE IT 14 ways w/ rest of the ACC?

Our rational must be the following:
Win over UGA and 1 loss in ACC yet win ACCCG we are surely in CFP
Win over UGA and a close loss in ACCCG we may yet be in
lose to UGA but winout and and ACCCG we are still in.

Overall, this game has higher odds of negatively impacting CFP appearance, as I see it. Close, but slight negative. Hopefully the money is great though - and it should be a great game.

Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

takes away some of the media narrative if we beat UGA

Feb 22, 2020, 10:21 AM

of course if we don’t, it makes it worse. We just went “All In”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: takes away some of the media narrative if we beat UGA

Feb 22, 2020, 4:10 PM

Media going to find a narrative. The Spin de Jour. I think a lot of powers that be would like to see a regular rivalry start back up. Lots of long term benefits all around. We could always trade usuc for gawga. At some point it gets annoying listening to cooish reasoning. At least gawga can field some competition.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: takes away some of the media narrative if we beat UGA

Feb 22, 2020, 4:10 PM [ in reply to takes away some of the media narrative if we beat UGA ]

Media going to find a narrative. The Spin de Jour. I think a lot of powers that be would like to see a regular rivalry start back up. Lots of long term benefits all around. We could always trade usuc for gawga. At some point it gets annoying listening to cooish reasoning. At least gawga can field some competition.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: economics of Tigers-UGA game in 2020....

Feb 22, 2020, 10:25 AM

I think it is a positive for CFP.

Without higher quality OOC opponenets, I worry that a regular season loss potentially knocks us out of the CFP, depending on what other top teams do.

I also worry that losing a regular season ACC game is not unlikely. It is hard to get teenagers to focus every week - especially against weaker competition.

Finally, I think that if we lose the ACCCG, we probably don't make the CFP even if we beat GA early.

Feb 22, 2020, 1:52 PM

Agree. If the ACC sucks but we can't win the ACC, then there's no reason for us to be in playoffs. And probably not the ACC winner in that case, since they're likely to have multiple losses too going be that division in the past.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 11:12 AM

Radakovich is clearly just trying to spend all that athletic department revenue so that he can deny whatever Brownell is requesting again this year. I hear D-Rad hates basketball.

Feb 22, 2020, 11:22 AM

I'd guess the TV money will be substantial. Based on the conference 'rights' to TV money, I'd expect both teams will get X amount for travel and have to split the rest among all members of the conference, but I'm not sure. I'd guess the tickets will sell for $150 each to all 75,000 fans. I suppose Ga and Clemson both end up with $4M each from ticket sales. I'd guess that the Charlotte group that sponsors the game makes almost nothing on the game but that it's a payday for restaurants, bars and hotels.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 12:53 PM

Harley, what will be interesting is to see how much the tickets will go on the secondary market. A lot will get snatched up and sold there ...

Both Schools Had To Do It

Feb 22, 2020, 11:14 AM

2021 non-conference at both schools were garbage. I wish Clemson would have booted S.C. State instead of Wyoming. I have read both schools will receive more than enough money to make up the loss of a home game. The local businesses in Clemson will get hit the hardest. But it had to be done. Looking at the 2021 schedule before Georgia was added, I believe there was a real chance Clemson could have gone undefeated and be left out. Adding Georgia totally flips the negative narrative on the schedule.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Both Schools Had To Do It

Feb 22, 2020, 1:59 PM

UConn was the game that needed to be booted. Playing SC State, Wofford, Furman, Presbyterian helps those in-state schools, and if you're going to have a garbage game might as well help locals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why should we worry about helping those schools?

Feb 22, 2020, 3:56 PM

Instead of playing them, play a real team and send them the extra cash. The last time we played SC State is was a complete joke

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2020, 11:26 AM

If we play Georgia in 2020 it will be in the playoffs.

(sorry, 2021) Re: economics of Tigers-UGA game in 2020....***

Feb 22, 2020, 11:30 AM

Feb 22, 2020, 11:46 AM

Charlotte is as close to most Clemson fans as Clemson is. That stadium should be 75% orange.

Feb 22, 2020, 11:51 AM

That’s true. Tiger fans better be ready to act when tickets go on sale. You know our neighbors to the south will be buying all they can get on opening day. Start making your plans early.

Feb 22, 2020, 12:26 PM

It's all about the TV revenue which, for better or worse, controls everything.
This game will be one of the most watched regular-season games of the year, and will highlight a big opening weekend (along with Alabama-Miami, and FSU-Notre Dame). A LOT of TV sets will be tuned in.
Make no mistake about it, this game was scheduled because after all the dust settles, BOTH athletics departments will net more money.

yes, I expect we will get more money, but *HOW* much more?***

Feb 22, 2020, 4:49 PM

Re: yes, I expect we will get more money, but *HOW* much more?***

Feb 22, 2020, 5:09 PM

I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure it was more than enough to go through the hassle of cancelling the other games (Wyoming for you, SJ St for us). The TV revenue will be huge. And regarding conference distributions of the TV revenue, usually conference contracts stipulate that team expenses are reimbursed before any money is put into the distribution pool. I would guess that the payouts for the cancelled games is included in those expenses.

But at any rate, if it wasn't profitable for both teams, it would not have happened.

Feb 22, 2020, 1:51 PM

But Clemson/UGA probably has a lot more TV money potential than Clemson/Wyoming and UGA/San Jose State combined.

That 1.1 million is more than we pay Dabo per game

Feb 22, 2020, 1:58 PM

if you include home and away games

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That 1.1 million is more than we pay Dabo per game

Feb 22, 2020, 3:50 PM

Both these teams will be getting 5 million minimum each for playing this game. South Carolina received 3 million for playing North Carolina last year. This game will be much bigger with more eyes on it.

Feb 22, 2020, 6:19 PM

My understanding is we are getting $5.1 million for the uga 2021 game. When you compare that to a home game against Wyoming we come out waaay ahead. Home ticket sales are not straight profit. We incur substantial cost to host a game. Even after we pay the 1.1 million and travel our net is better. Plus we needed a big win on our resume to shut up the whiners.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic