Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Maybe Germans but good stuff from Schlabach about the SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,065

Maybe Germans but good stuff from Schlabach about the SEC

Aug 13, 2024, 8:49 PM

As good as the SEC has been at winning national championships, it wasn't that much better than everybody else during the BCS era. From the start of the BCS era in 1998 to its end in 2013, SEC teams went .500 against Pac-12 teams during the regular season (13-13), were only slightly better than the Big Ten in bowl games (23-21) and had a losing record against Big 12 teams during the regular season (8-12).

In fact, the best thing to happen to the SEC during conference realignment might have been the dissolution of the Big East. During the BCS era, Big East teams went 20-17 against SEC teams in the regular season and 8-5 in bowl games. For whatever reason, Big East schools seemed to have the SEC's number more than anyone else.

Sure, SEC teams hoisted a crystal football trophy more than anyone else during the BCS era, but are you really that dominant when you can't beat the mediocre Big East on a regular basis?

And if the SEC is really that good, how did Missouri win the SEC East in its second season in the league? The Tigers were an above-average team in the Big 12, but few people expected them to contend in the SEC so quickly.

Four teams largely carried the SEC's flag during its recent dominance: Alabama, Auburn, LSU and Florida. South Carolina has been better than it ever was under coach Steve Spurrier, but the Gamecocks still haven't won an SEC championship. Florida and Tennessee have been sinking ships, and Georgia can't seem to get over the hump.

The SEC's best teams might be great every season, but its overall record against the other Power Five conferences suggests it might not be as dominant as we believed.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11339820/power-5-propaganda-already-being-spread-college-football-playoff-era

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What took him so long? I've been saying it for years...***

Aug 13, 2014, 12:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe Germans but good stuff from Schlabach about the SEC

Aug 13, 2014, 1:05 PM

Uh oh. The execs at Esecpn ain't gonna like that!

Blasphemy! I don't understand how eSECpn can allow this.***

Aug 13, 2014, 1:12 PM

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,065
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic