Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have jury duty for the first time next week
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 530

I have jury duty for the first time next week

Jul 12, 2018, 1:33 PM

Any advice on what to expect? I've been told to be ready to sit and wait for hours....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just wear a MAGA hat and your NRA tshirt

Jul 12, 2018, 1:42 PM

Will be a quick day for you once selection begins ;)

Better yet

Jul 12, 2018, 1:46 PM

Just let them know you could never convict someone for beastiality because of strongly held personal beliefs. That should get you off the hook.

Re: Just wear a MAGA hat and your NRA tshirt

Jul 12, 2018, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Just wear a MAGA hat and your NRA tshirt ]

I get popped for that annually. I have no idea why.

I don't mind doing my civic duty, but there's got to be some kind of tracking to see how often someone gets called.

Most of the time it's just a day. Sometimes I've been out after a couple hours.

One time I missed almost two weeks of work, and the last time, just a couple weeks ago, I didn't even have to sit down for a minute. The clerk told us all we weren't needed.

Anyway, you go to the courthouse, usually a few attorneys ask you some questions. Then you sit around, then they tell you if you're needed further. Sometimes though, like when I had to go to my local municipal kangaroo court in a really tiny town, they had everyone who showed up sit down, then they just got rolling with the trial.

What goes on depends on what kind of court it is, what kind of money the defendant has, etc. One time it was a rich kid with a DUI and he had a legal TEAM, no lie. Like OJ or some crap. Just the jury picking took all day, then there was a couple more days of expert testimony. They ground that court to a halt, kid got off.

Another time there was a DUI trial and I have no idea why the guy's public pretender didn't just have the guy plead guilty. It was about half an hour. The swearing in took longer that the public pretender's joke of a defense. The dude blew a .12 at a checkpoint, but "wasn't driving while visibly impaired" so maybe he wasn't impaired? I guess because he didn't run over anyone at the checkpoint? And um, that was it. Deliberation took us less time than it took us to get up and go to the room to say "guilty".

Jul 12, 2018, 3:08 PM

What happened when you were out of work for two weeks?

Jul 12, 2018, 10:12 PM

Jhop83® said:

What happened when you were out of work for two weeks?

I was on salary as a state employee then, and my business was barely a side at that point. I didn't need me full time LOL. So basically I just had a lot to get done when I got back. If I was just your regular hourly dude, I would've been screwed. The compensation for jurors in that state was a whopping $15/day for the first three days, then $30 thereafter.

In another state I had JD, it was like $50, but I was on active duty then.

I have never seen nor heard of any financial compensation at all while up here, so you're probably f'ed if you're not on salary.

By the way, you cannot be laid off for jury duty, nor have it count toward any leave here in SC. What was especially funny was my reserve squadron deployed for over a month the year previous to that two week jury thang. Same rule applied in that state. If I was a total D and used my accrued vacation time, I could've worked like 19 1/2 out of 24 months and gotten the same money and benefits.

Anyway, while you might be tight with bills if it goes on a while, don't worry about losing your job. If that happens, you'll be back in court, but not in the jury- you'll be owning your boss' business.

Truth >>>>Just wear a MAGA hat and your NRA tshirt***

Jul 12, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Just wear a MAGA hat and your NRA tshirt ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 530
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic