Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Better or Worse in 2019: Syracuse
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Better or Worse in 2019: Syracuse

Apr 10, 2019, 12:50 PM

2018 Record: 10-3

I just cannot see Syracuse winning 10 games again next year. But i'll admit im surprised with the number of previews that disagree. Syracuse will be a good team, sure. But is Syracuse's program in a position to replace legit playmakers like Eric Dungy at QB (who holds several school records), their talented WRs, and a good portion of the OL, with talent that can win 10 games again? QB, for example: Eric Dungy was a baller & his production will be hard for anyone to replicate. His backup from last year, Tommy DiVito, is pegged as his replacement. It was DiVito who relieved Dungy against Notre Dame when he went down on like the 1st series of the game, and to put it politely, looked a bit overwhelmed. Finished 14-31 for 105 yards, 2 INTs and the red-hot Syracuse Offense only scored 3 points. Again, i'm not saying he can't play or that he wont be good based off 1 game, but its things like this that make you think it looks tough to replicate last years 10-3.

1 thing is for sure when it comes to us - this wont be any Friday Night road game before a Bye Week against a dangerous but easily overlook-able Syracuse team. They will have our undivided attention, and i think and you might find that its Clemson who's looking to make a statement on Sept 14.

Thoughts on Cuse in 2019?

2019 Syracuse Orange Football Schedule
Aug. 31 at Liberty
Sept. 7 at Maryland
Sept. 14 Clemson
Sept. 21 Western Michigan
Sept. 28 Holy Cross
Oct. 5 OPEN DATE
Oct. 10 at NC State
Oct. 19 Pitt
Oct. 26 at Florida State
Nov. 2 Boston College
Nov. 9 OPEN DATE
Nov. 16 at Duke
Nov. 23 at Louisville
Nov. 30 Wake Forest

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Better or Worse in 2019: Syracuse

Apr 10, 2019, 12:57 PM

I did not see them winning 10 games last year but Babers is a good coach. I think that they are going to better in Oct/Nov than in Sept.

It really depends on how their new-ish QB can make an impact and get his legs under him. I would not hold ND against him as being a back-up isn't always the easiest thing to step into... it took Brice a little while to find his groove but needed ETN to prop him up. Dungy would straight out ball with abandon, so I am sure that is still a TBD item.

That being said, playing Clemson close is often NOT a good sign for the next year. Ask NC State.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2019, 1:12 PM

I see 8 wins for them if nothing happens injury wise.

Yeah, remember they played us close in the Carrier Dome...

Apr 10, 2019, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Better or Worse in 2019: Syracuse ]

...in 2015, and then we blitzed them off the field in DV in 2016.

We’ll see if Babers is building a program or not.

Apr 10, 2019, 1:14 PM

Eric Dungy was everything to that team. It’s leader, passer, and runner. I agree with you DiVito isn’t going to match that kind of production.

As for our game, I think it’s good timing for them. We come off playing TAMU and it’ll be their first home game. The crowd will be hyped regardless of how they handled Liberty and Maryland.

They very well could be 0-2 coming into our game. Liberty is no pushover, and Maryland hang with just about anyone, see: Texas and OSU last season. Cuse could also be 2-0.

This season is the kind of season which defines a program for Syracuse. Good programs transition from QB to QB without sliding back down the ladder. Dabo did it well in 2014 and 2018- despite some protest. We will see if Babers is that kind of coach.

Looking at their schedule, I’d say Cuse goes anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3. It’s hard to tell. NC State is in a similar spot with QB Finley- as well as several other key players- gone. Duke is also breaking in a new starter. Who knows what we’ll get from FSU. Louisville looks like a massive rebuild. Wake is unspectacular but steady. Pitt is? Who knows what Pitt is or will be. BC looks like they are building something. They remind me of Kentucky.

As for our game, it’ll be tough. But I think we pull away late before halftime. Their offense will sputter which will give TLaw and Co plenty of chances to score.

no worse than 8-4 IMO

Apr 10, 2019, 1:23 PM

no way they get 10 wins this season though.

Id say 8 wins is plausible because of the OOC schedule

Apr 10, 2019, 2:13 PM

Liberty, Western Michigan, Holy Cross. But remember, Syracuse isnt exactly someone who can take any opponent for granted. As good as they were last year, 10-3 is a traditional outlier for their program. Losing to them in 2017 makes it easy to forget they went 4-8 and finished last in the Atlantic Division.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Apr 10, 2019, 1:43 PM

No one thought Syracuse would give us a run for our money last year; granted, TL was out, but he was struggling a little bit for the series that he was in. Syracuse uses Clemson as motivation (like a title game) so I don't want to overlook them this year either.

The only thing you an gauge from the 2018 Syracuse game

Apr 10, 2019, 2:06 PM

is that any other team in College Football with their 3rd String QB** would have lost to Syracuse that day. Maybe you can exclude Alabama, but ive never seen their 3rd String QB and Syracuse was a good enough team last year to hang with them with Dungy playing & Bama struggling to move the ball. Even if you dont spot Cuse the 10 points we were behind when Brice entered the game.

**Chase Brice woke up on Monday Morning as the 3rd String QB. Bryant officially quit the team later that day or on Tuesday i cant remember

Best Is The Standard

Apr 10, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Better or Worse in 2019: Syracuse ]

They will get run out of the stadium in this one.

GT, A&M, Cuse... next!

Three statement games in a row.

All 3 will be ugly for opponents.

I have a strange feeling Dabo wants to go wire to wire one season so he will put emphasis on the first quarter of the season and give enough style points to where Tua doesn’t jump is in the polls. Plus our 1st Heisman is a lot of style pts motivation as well and I think he wants that in the trophy case for crootin’ too.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2019, 3:07 PM

We better be in shape. No AC in the dome. September game indoors in the steam heat. We looked gassed in the last game there.

Who would you assume they can’t compete with on that schedule?

Apr 10, 2019, 3:18 PM

I don’t see a team on their schedule that is head and shoulders above them, talent-wise (except Clemson). So they might lose one or two they shouldn’t but ten wins wouldn’t shock me.

Hope they beat Maryland convincingly!

null

Re: Who would you assume they can’t compete with on that schedule?

Apr 10, 2019, 3:21 PM

Yes! Cuse should beat the South Rutgers Benedict Turtles & Debtor's Resort.

Apr 10, 2019, 3:19 PM

They lost Eric Dungey and that's a big, big deal. Tommy DeVito is a good thrower - maybe better than Dungey - but he's also notably smaller than Dungey and not nearly as mobile; Dungey would go get first downs with his feet...entirely too often, actually, which got him hurt, a lot. But that dimension was frustrating.

Syracuse also lost both OT's, including Cody Conway at LT, which isn't going to help them. They also lost WR Jamal Custis and his 901 receiving yards - 17.8 yards per pop - and 6 TD's to early entry into the NFL. But they do return their #2, #3, and #4 receivers, all of whom got more than 40 grabs each, so a lot of returning production there.

Also, Dino Babers is good - real good - and he's got a viable QB and he's got a system, and Syracuse believes in what they do, a lot. And they'll make up for the loss of those OT's by getting the ball out quick, which they do anyway.

It depends on their defense, but Babers' offenses will score a lot of points. I think they're still slightly ahead of NC State and will be the runners-up to us, again.

Team I'd keep an eye on, personally, is UVA in the Coastal. Film junkies love them some Bronco Mendenhall and he's got the second-best QB in the ACC behind Trevor, and that team is salty up front, as the Gamecocks discovered.

Apr 10, 2019, 3:22 PM

Second best QB?

I thought we had positions 1-3 locked down :)

Apr 10, 2019, 3:46 PM

FutureDoc said:

Second best QB?

I thought we had positions 1-3 locked down :)

Nope. Love Chase Brice and love what I saw out of Phommanchanh but Bryce Perkins there at UVA is no-kidding For Real...and better than either guy at the moment. Completed 64.5% of his passes for 2,680 and 25 TD's versus only 9 INT's (without much in the way of weapons at WR aside from Olamide Zacchaeaus) and added another 923 yards and 10 TD's with his legs, reminds me strongly of Deshaun Watson. Just utterly calm and unflappable in the pocket, then turns into a WR when he decides to run. By far the best player in college football nobody knows about, will go in the first round, maybe as soon as the 2020 draft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPott9uWt-Y

Apr 10, 2019, 4:15 PM

Think as long as Babers is coaching Syracuse is capable of picking up some wins nobody expects ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I see 3 losses with the Maryland game being a toss-up.

Apr 10, 2019, 5:16 PM

I think they lose to Clemson, NC State and Duke.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Apr 10, 2019, 6:13 PM

Thanks have them as this year’s “No Doubt” game. I say we kill them.

Apr 10, 2019, 6:19 PM

I hope they win them all but one and I hope we curb stomp them

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

At least 9 win team. Coach Babers is legit.***

Apr 10, 2019, 9:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Re: At least 9 win team. Coach Babers is legit.***

Apr 10, 2019, 10:14 PM

I agree!

The thing with cuse is; "they know who they are"! They aren't like a couple so called big conference schools who live on the coat tails of it's big brother. They have schemes and have "body types" they like. Cuse will have: big athletic WR's who at some point probably played BBall. B/C when they get one on one coverage the play is throw it to them.
Hard nosed - no -non-sense OL that have a mean streak!
A QB that doesn't play scared and understands "throw it up" our guy will beat their guy.
They will play fast and catch defenses off guard.
Smart players. They probably lose the majority of really elite players to Penn State and Ohio St in that order. But, the rest of N.Y., CT, Mass, etc. is pretty much theirs. They do dip down to the south some too!

Defensively I have been impressed with them and Dungey never played defense! They get after you because Babers ensure they get challenged during the week. He holds them accountable to put in the work.

I see them being good again; how good depends on the new QB! Early, he may need to be a runner. Dungey was a good athlete who could hurt you with his legs. By virtue of how fast they played and how big their WR's are; defenses often were forced from a schematic stand point to play them one on one. Their guys have been studs out there too.

None of that will be enough for them to get another win against the Tigers when we they visit upstate N.Y.
You know a bit of - "the last time we were here, we lost coach speak will be poured on heavy prior to that game"!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic