Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Better have this argument now, while there are only 3
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Better have this argument now, while there are only 3

Jan 18, 2019, 7:33 AM

Which national championship was most significant to Clemson, and to you?

1981 - I was 12 and a relatively new fan; remember everything about that night (watching on TV), our FIRST national championship
2016 - I think this one gets the nod for me, because I was there with family and friends, it was in my favorite NFL team’s stadium, and the way that game finished was amazing
2018 - a dominating performance and argument for best ever, launching Clemson into a small group with 3 or more championships

I have to say 2016 for me, and probably 1981 for Clemson...can’t win #3 without winning #1!

But 2018 best team of the 3 IMHO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Better have this argument now, while there are only 3

Jan 18, 2019, 7:43 AM

1981 I was only 5 so I don't recall the game itself. I recall how proud my grandfather was of the Tigers and all the orange soda cans with the Paw in Bilo and Piggly Wiggly in my hometown.

2016 I am not ashamed to say I cried like a child when Renfrow caught that pass. All I could do is say "They did it. They finally did it." My thoughts were with my Grandfather who had passed away 8 years prior as well as a very good friend of mine who was taken by cancer way too young just a few weeks before the game. Both were huge Clemson fans and I am sure they enjoyed every second of the game from their seats in the clouds.

2018 was just a totally different feel. No stress just pure domination. I knew the Tigers had that game won as soon as I saw Wilkins wearing the #90 on his face. If the offense was able to put 21 points on the board game over.

Therefore, I guess personally the 2016 game was most significant to me. And I think this last one was most significant to Clemson because it cements their spot on top of the mountain with Alabama (and maybe at least for a year or 2 slightly above Bama).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 8:01 AM

For me, it had to be 2018.
While the 1981 Title gave Clemson it's first, it was so long ago and before the BCS era that many don't remember it.
So moving forward, you could make the argument that the 2016 title was a bit "Lucky" in that Bama gave DaShaun, and the offense too much time.
You could even make the argument that winning it one time was "lucky" as well, but when you win another within two years, and you dominated the game like nothing I have seen lately, well that tells me your program has arrived.
Little Old Clemson can't be overlooked anymore.
Also, as Dabo said it so aptly after the 2016 Championship, "If you want to be the Best, you got to beat the Best".Well, we have beaten the "Best".
Add to it, not even Bama can say"PERFECT".
So 2018 gets my vote.

No argument from me, but

Jan 18, 2019, 8:10 AM

wasn't Bama undefeated and #1 in 2016, too? And wan't Nebraska #1 and us #4 in 1981? I would say we beat the best to be the best all 3 times.

Re: No argument from me, but

Jan 18, 2019, 9:46 AM

We were number 1 and Nebraska was number 4 in 1981.

Jan 18, 2019, 9:48 AM [ in reply to No argument from me, but ]

Bama was #1 when we beat them in 2016. Since the playoff are started No #1 or 3 have won the championship. We came into the playoffs as #1 in both 2015 and 2017 and lost to Bama in both. As far as 1981 we were #1 and Nebraska was #4 when we won it all. Luckily Pitt got beat by I think Penn State to knock them from #1 during the season or we wouldn't have had a chance to be in that position. Pitt ended up winning the Rose bowl and had they not lost to Penn State then we both would have ended the season undefeated. The 2 games I remember the most as a child was the NC game and the 78 Gator bowl. I've been a OSU hater since.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 9:49 AM [ in reply to No argument from me, but ]

No, Clemson was No.1 and Nebraska was No.4. But Nebraska was a four point favorite in the Orange Bowl.

The first was great because it showed we could do it, which

Jan 18, 2019, 8:45 AM

relatively few have.

The second was great because it showed the first wasn't a fluke.

And the third was great because it showed that Dabo's built an elite program that will be called "the Clemson dynasty years" in the future.

Jan 18, 2019, 9:35 AM

1981 - I was not born. It is little more to me than an extra talking point and knowing that Clemson has had multiple eras in which we were in the elite.

2016 - Greatest single moment in Clemson football history when Renfrow made that catch. It turned a loss into a win because a failed play that took one more second would have meant the game was over. It also turned into an amazing 2018 recruiting class. This is a major part of what it means to Clemson.

2018 - A domination like we have never shown on the national stage. It did not produce the same amount of pure joy because the game was decided so long before it was over. It remains to be seen what impact this victory will have on the program moving forward.

It's hard for me to decide between 2016 and 2018 because we haven't gotten to experience the full effect that 2018 has on the program. I also think that what means the most is that '16 and '18 are so close together. Producing 2 championships this close together puts the program in a totally different light than simply winning 1 and making the final game a couple more times.

My final vote goes for the cumulative effect of the last 2 being the most important. If stacking championships leads to stacking recruiting classes then it makes it that much harder for the teams not on our level to sneak up and beat us. This means we will get even more chances to be in the discussion and get more chances to win another one or more. That is the goal.

from start to finish 2018 was the best game to watch

Jan 18, 2019, 9:53 AM

ever. Freaking out at the last second is fun, but dancing for the entire game was much better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 10:05 AM

I have been lucky enough to be at all three, and they are all equally important for different reasons.

81 - First national championship. Put Clemson on the map

16 - Renaissance

18 - Complete domination.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thoughts during the games were

Jan 21, 2017, 10:43 AM

In '81, when the Tigers began their typical 3rd quarter, time-consuming drive, I turned to my grandmother (visited since my grandfather had died just before T'giving) and told her, 'We're actually going to win this...the game is following the same ###### as the whole season.' I was, frankly, numbed by the realization.

In '16, not once was I remotely concerned...watched alone...silently. As the Tigers turned the tide (or Tide...your choice ;) ), I could see the team dominating. When CJ almost broke the kick-off return and two minutes were left, I just knew the win was imminent. After Mike's and Jordan's catches, it was a fait accompli.

This year, while remaining silent to all around me...and here, my sense was Clemson would blow Bama's doors off. When the Tigers responded to Bama's first touchdown, I was convinced they'd be unstoppable. Frankly, I wanted a 'changing of the guard/leave no doubt' result...and, 'Boom'!

The two goals I want to see come to fruition is, over these next five seasons, Clemson gets a Natty ring for the thumb, while getting the 10-bomb thumb ring over the Scoks. I can see it...smell it...taste it! Mmmm....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2019, 10:31 AM

1981 Perspective: College soph from SE VA. Played 8 yrs of football incl. 3 yrs of single A high school ball. I’m thinking - holy bleep this is big time football. Never seen anything like it. I’m in love and the football, the 1st class people, and the lovely young ladies of Clemson have taken my breath away. This championship is a bonus, how can Jeff Davis’ arms be that big, love me some Fridge, and Coach Ford is a tough hombre. I tell my friends in Va — we play some some serious football and Defense at Clemson.

2016 Perspective: We’ve come a long way baby, and I’m not a young pup anymore, but Dabo has exceeded all expectations. Now let’s win the natl respect we deserve. I like our chances due to the fearless and soon to be GOAT Deshaun Watson. But does DW4 have enough help? Yes, he does, and he is one mentally tough dude. This win is about DW4, but it’s also about the team and coaches. But did DW4 raise Clemson’s performance to a level that Dabo and coaches can’t sustain?

2018 Perspective: This program is legit. Thanks Dabo, BV and coaches. Looks like we’ve built something here, but can we beat Bama (aka the Factory)? Yes we can! CW42 is a leader for the ages, the Power Rangers and senior leadership are great, the skill players incl. ETN, TL16, Tee, JRoss and more are ridiculous. This team has the talent and put in the work to dominate the factory. Clemson is on top of the world where it always has been in our hearts - now the whole world knows it.

Very happy and grateful to the coaches, players and large support team for making it happen. Thanks, let’s enjoy it, and of course look forward to 2019! So to answer your question, #### yeah, they’re all great! Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1981 would have to be it for Clemson. That one came out of

Jan 18, 2019, 11:14 AM

nowhere, with all the in-season dominoes having to fall exactly right for it to happen.

For me, personally, that would make 2016 the most significant. We had wandered in the wilderness for 34 years, and finally climbed to the top again. But, this time, we did not sneak up on anyone. Highly ranked, and got everyones best shot all along the way. And, for it to end DW4's career in the storybook fashion that the game itself ended, it just don't get any better than that!

Hopefully we look back in about 3 years, and realize that the 2018 championship started a streak that has never been done before. :)

2018 for the reasons you already stated

Jan 18, 2019, 11:15 AM

this really elevates us to another level as a program.. if we can get 5 before Dabo retires I will be living a dream come true (not that this isn't already)

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic