Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama

Dec 3, 2017, 2:27 PM

A poster at another CFB board I read posted this:

"The system is rigged for Bama. The Committee knows that the country has a love/hate relationship with them. You either love them, or hate them. Regardless, you will watch.

The Committee changes their narrative each year to benefit Bama. There will come a time when Bama wins the SEC, but has several loses. Conference championships will mean everything, then and Bama will make the playoff. I literally think Bama would need four loses to be ruled out of the playoff."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama

Dec 3, 2017, 2:31 PM

I think they just did their job - and picked the best four.

I'm worried about Bama.

We would have curb-stomped OSU.

Everybody knew it...and why would the Committee not know it too?

The only thing that happened was, the Committee showed the ability to recognize the obvious. The top four teams got in.

Unfortunately. Makes for a much harder opener for us.

Dec 3, 2017, 2:36 PM

Sorry, but no. We just saw Auburn beat Alabama handily. If Auburn doesn't make it (and they shouldn't), neither should Alabama. Ohio State had the best argument to get in. Yeah, they dropped a bad game to Iowa, but their only other loss was to another team in the CFP and they won their conference.

Dec 3, 2017, 2:43 PM

> Sorry, but no. We just saw Auburn beat Alabama
> handily. If Auburn doesn't make it (and they
> shouldn't), neither should Alabama. Ohio State had
> the best argument to get in. Yeah, they dropped a
> bad game to Iowa, but their only other loss was to
> another team in the CFP and they won their conference.

We saw Alabama (on the road, same as us, remember?) lose to an Auburn team - with significant injuries playing a major role in the outcome.

Alabama was just plain out of linebackers at the moment.

We didn't have a healthy QB against Syracuse - a far less forgivable loss, in all honesty.

A healthy Alabama is one of the best four teams in college football. Unfortunately.

I think all that happened is the Committee went "best four" as opposed to "most deserving". You're making the "most deserving" argument.

All three of the "injured" Alabama LB's

Dec 3, 2017, 3:00 PM

played against Auburn. Wilson had 1 tackle and a QB hurry. Miller had 1 tackle, and Lewis had 2 tackles.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My problem with the 'best' argument is it's too subjective

Dec 3, 2017, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

What makes a team 'better'? Margin of victory? wins/losses? Why schedule any difficult OOC if there's a chance it could become a loss? I'm not staying play Kent St. every year, but why not schedule a team you'll likely look good against and gain a W? Resume seems secondary in the end (with the exception of UCF?).

Clemson

Re: My problem with the 'best' argument is it's too subjective

Dec 3, 2017, 4:11 PM

just watch osu play, it is obvious.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's fine, but when I watch UGA play, I'd put Bama at #3***

Dec 3, 2017, 4:34 PM

Clemson

watch Bama play and it's obvious their not any better...

Dec 3, 2017, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Re: My problem with the 'best' argument is it's too subjective ]

than OSU.

To quote our President....

Dec 3, 2017, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

Wrong.

Regardless of Bama or OSU and who is "most deserving", Saban

Dec 3, 2017, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

with a month to prepare is a MUCH more difficult matchup than Urban Meyer with a month to prepare.

To be honest, I think the Natty is won in the Sugar Bowl. Whomever walks out of New Orleans with a win is going to win it all.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Regardless of Bama or OSU and who is "most deserving", Saban

Dec 3, 2017, 5:50 PM

If they aren't half beat to death.

Saban with a month ain't gonna be able to change the...

Dec 3, 2017, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Regardless of Bama or OSU and who is "most deserving", Saban ]

fact that Bama's offense has struggled with the concept of the forward pass and a run defense that has gotten worse as the year has gone one.

It will be won in the title game between two SEC Killers...

Dec 3, 2017, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Regardless of Bama or OSU and who is "most deserving", Saban ]

The two teams that exposed how weak the SEC is.

stop with the injury excuse, we have had numerous...

Dec 3, 2017, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

injuries all season long, yet we have kept on winning. Sorry but Bama ain't the same this year and will be proven when we dominated them.

Who has Bama beaten, to prove they are a top 4 team?

Dec 3, 2017, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

Only two other decent teams in the sec, they didn't play UGA and lost to Auburn. Of course they beat FSU, before their QB was hurt, but does anyone really think FSU would have been a 10 win team, even with Francois?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on. Even if their resume doesn't back it up, we all

Dec 3, 2017, 4:31 PM

know they are a top 4 team. Would you rather play Bama or somebody like OSU or USC?

I'm sorry, but who is "we all"?

Dec 3, 2017, 8:19 PM

I can guarandangtee you it ain't all the folks on this site. You must be talking about the group of people who just think Bama is better, so yeah. But that ain't "we all".

Go Tigers!

Agree. Win or lose, Bama is going to give us a helluva

Dec 3, 2017, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

game. When's the last time they just didn't show up? They haven't lost by more than 14 points in the entire Saban era. Even his first season when they went 7-6, all 6 losses were by 1 TD or less. I think they've lost 14 games in the last 10 years and only 4 of those were by double digits (and two of those were Sugar bowls after they had been eliminated from title contention).

And the OU-UGA game is going to be flag football compared to Clemson-Bama (mostly because of OU). Expect us to lose some starters for the championship game even if we win. It's going to be physical and Bama is going to show up. They aren't going to lay a 31-0 egg like Ohio State.

we are going to curb stomp Bama too***

Dec 3, 2017, 5:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

We "know" Bama's better

Dec 3, 2017, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

but Ohio State actually earned it.

Today's decision means the Committee doesn't actually look at anything other than the eye test. There are no true solid criteria. Which means that even if it somehow isn't right now, one day it will just be about name brand and TV ratings.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep. Why even play a power 5 conference championship?

Dec 3, 2017, 8:35 PM

Makes no sense. Heck, just expand the playoffs and be done with conference championship games. Done.

Apparently.***

Dec 3, 2017, 2:31 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Worry! For What, Bama?

Dec 3, 2017, 2:41 PM

Yeah, Bama is really tough. But, with Kelly B legs he gives us what you need to beat them. He often will take off instead of throwing that pick-6. You can't give Bama anything! Their offense much like Georgia, can often be one dimensional! Make them one dimensional and you can beat them(see game last year in 2nd half). Hurts is a good passer but not great! Our coverage has to be good and we need to get to him. The DL will have to come to play for sure!
Biggest thing is this: " the time off between the game benefits Bama; but in my opinion, it benefits us far more"! A fully healthy/rested DL. Venables having time to study your weaknesses! Ask Urban Meyer or Stoops what happens when you give that man time to study you!

**Only problem is, as physical game as that will be, it could take out a lot from the eventual winner! Remember the quotes from players last year about how sore they were! Very much a concern for whichever team wins! Which I have to tell you, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that's by design. Some people "love parody"! And, they are tired of it always being Bama/Clemson! One will be eliminated, the other perhaps too sore to win the next one!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

C'mon, if Bama lost to MissSt, they literally would not be in, with just 2

Dec 3, 2017, 2:41 PM

losses

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 3, 2017, 2:43 PM

Your avatar looks familiar

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Alabama would have to lose 3 games not to be in the playoffs

Dec 3, 2017, 2:45 PM

in any given year.

Dec 3, 2017, 3:58 PM

They would have been out with 1 loss if Wisconsin had beat Ohio St.

But by the 'best' argument, that shouldn't matter

Dec 3, 2017, 4:05 PM

If Wisconsin had won, would you consider them 'better' than Bama?

Clemson

Re: But by the 'best' argument, that shouldn't matter

Dec 3, 2017, 4:15 PM

I'd consider them more deserving, which would be my criteria, and I think that's mostly what the committee does too even though they always say 4 best. It's hard to determine best by ~9 games (excluding cupcakes) against different teams. Even h2h doesn't determine best, unless somehow Auburn is way better than Georgia and Georgia is also way better than Auburn.

Dec 3, 2017, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Best analysis I've seen regarding the committee & Bama ]

and some perspective on how bad Ohio St's losses were compared to Bama, and why the committee may have a little bias for Bama.

Ohio St lost at home by 15. Bama hasn't lost by more than 14 in the last 11 years, or by more than 15 in last 13 years.
Ohio St lost to an unranked team by 31. Bama hasn't lost to an unranked team period in the last 10 years

This is the first time Bama's inclusion has even been a

Dec 3, 2017, 4:22 PM

discussion. They were #1 or #2 each of the last three years and nobody had an issue with that. This is the first time you could make a solid argument against them.

Dec 3, 2017, 4:33 PM

As context - I think Alabama should have got in

But I think the committee is talking out of both sides of their mouths. If Alabama got in because essentially "we pick the 4 best teams", then why did the Big10CG matter? Does anyone think 13-0 WISC could beat Bama? No shot. Yet WISC would have got in on "resume" over Bama. No one can really make the argument that Bama has a better "resume" than OSU

The committee was in a tough spot regardless

Man you make some really good points.

Dec 3, 2017, 8:24 PM

No ghey. Just saying.

then, cood we not make an argument for 2 loss

Dec 3, 2017, 4:52 PM

southern cal?

they had a bad loss and won conference championship. whisky has one loss, but big 10 is a sh1tshow. bama is just better than osu. you cannot lose to iowa by 31 as one of your 2 losses. sc wood then have an argument as well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

This has melted you all day. Let it go***

Dec 3, 2017, 4:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

If you think someone else is better than Bama...

Dec 3, 2017, 5:40 PM

then you should delight that our load is light.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic