Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best BBQ HASH?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 67
| visibility 51

Best BBQ HASH?

Nov 7, 2019, 9:46 AM

Yum. I do love hash.

https://destination-bbq.com/sc-bbq-hash/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is there anywhere in the upstate with hash similar

Nov 7, 2019, 9:49 AM

to Dukes?

All the hash I've had up in the upstate is weird for what I'm looking for.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is there anywhere in the upstate with hash similar

Nov 7, 2019, 9:57 AM

The best place I can recommend is Holden’s Ranch in Spartanbrg, SC. They also have great chicken stew too.

If you find another place let us know. Good luck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 6:16 PM

The best place I can recommend is Holden’s Ranch in Spartanbrg, SC. They also have great chicken stew too.

If you find another place let us know. Good luck.

That chicken stew is something serious. Add crackers and Texas Pete of course.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Is there anywhere in the upstate with hash similar ]

Never had Duke’s is it good?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never had Southern BBQ. Eats briskett?

Nov 8, 2019, 6:06 AM

Thinks grilling hot digs is a BBQ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately, the best BBQ hash that ever was, no longer

Nov 7, 2019, 9:50 AM

exists. It could be found years ago at a little hole in the wall BBQ place run by A.L, Felder, in Bowman, SC. His recipe was later carried on on an occasional basis by Bowman Academy for fundraisers, but they too have now ceased to exist. You will just have to take my word, nothing else compared. Although Sweatmans BBQ in Eutawville was a close second. They still exist, but are under different ownership now.

Always thought Sweatmans and Dukes had good hash

Nov 7, 2019, 9:51 AM

but it just doesn't seem like I can find any in the upstate that compares.

Re: Always thought Sweatmans and Dukes had good hash

Nov 7, 2019, 9:59 AM

I would put Dukes in the "assembly line" category as far as hash goes. That recipe is widespread, and does not really stand out to me.

Nov 7, 2019, 3:20 PM

I've been eating Duke's "assembly line hash"since the early 1960's so if you eaten that style of hash that opened after the '60s I would guess that recipe was either copied or stolen from Duke's.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Always thought Sweatmans and Dukes had good hash ]

sweatmans. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nov 7, 2019, 11:44 AM

Now that I would think rates all caps. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately, the best BBQ hash that ever was, no longer

Nov 7, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately, the best BBQ hash that ever was, no longer ]

I would second that. Sounds like we run in the same circles.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately, the best BBQ hash that ever was, no longer ]

You're incorrect about one thing but correct about another , lol .
You were right in saying the best hash ever in SC is no longer available , but you were way off on the location .
That would've been Mr. Clarence Jackson ...who had a little spot on US Hwy 52 in Moncks Corner ( many years ago ) and produced a BBQ hash that would plumb make your tongue slap ya brains out .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Nov 7, 2019, 10:52 AM

Ha. Randomly reminds me of a VERY old TV commercial that ran in different forms for years on the Charleston, SC stations. "I'm Clarence Don't Turn Nobody Down McCants. Come see us at Metropolitan Furniture Company, where we finance our OWEN accounts." Yep, he made OWN a two syllable word. :)

Nov 7, 2019, 6:10 PM

I loved those commercials as a kid .
Also , the Dixie Furniture ad ( Dixie'll Do It , Cause Dixie Dooooon't care ) .

DB23

Nov 7, 2019, 6:23 PM

I even still remember the old addresses for Metropolitan, I saw those ads so many times. 474 and 501 King Street. :)

Nov 7, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Unfortunately, the best BBQ hash that ever was, no longer ]

Sweatman's is in Holly Hill! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Technically, it's in the country between Holly Hill and

Nov 7, 2019, 11:56 AM

Uterville. :)

Nov 7, 2019, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Unfortunately, the best BBQ hash that ever was, no longer ]

Been eating at Sweatmans since the early 80's . They have some pretty good hash too .

DB23

Nov 7, 2019, 6:29 PM

I used to love the way the old man (Mr. "Bub" Sweatman) would season the barbeque meat with just the right amount of mustard based sauce. Used to eat there once a week in the mid 80's as well, before I moved out of the immediate area. Not sure if there is even still a Sweatman family connection now. The locals tell me it is still ok, but not quite as good as the old days. Well, what is, except Clemson Football? :)

Had it many times, I agree****

Nov 7, 2019, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately, the best BBQ hash that ever was, no longer ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best BBQ HASH?

Nov 7, 2019, 10:01 AM

Sease Dowd's hash, made in Pomaria, SC. Best by far.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Nov 7, 2019, 1:00 PM

Agree with TigerHawk76. Dowd's Hash.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:02 AM

Ward's BBQ in Sumter, SC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 10:12 AM

My wife and I think Carolina BBQ in New Ellington, SC
has some of the best hash. I haven't been there
in years though.

Nov 7, 2019, 3:40 PM

Growing up in Jackson,SC, I will totally agree about Carolina BBQ's hash.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Best BBQ HASH? ]

Ditto!

Watfords in Bishopville is close 2nd!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Best BBQ HASH? ]

My favorite hash is Westwood BBQ’s (Hartsville) liver hash.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:07 AM

Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton SC was really good. So hard to find good hash. I have a recipe that very much resembles Carolina BBQ and Sheally's BBQ in the midlands. My wife and kids say its the best they have. Takes about 6 hours to make but it is pretty darn good.

Never really been impressed with Shealy's hash!***

Nov 7, 2019, 11:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the link! Carolina BBQ & Shealy's has been the

Nov 7, 2019, 10:13 AM

best I've had.

Nov 7, 2019, 10:29 AM

Great Post EssoClub2 ???? Thanks for your contributions to great Hash recipes. Couldn’t do it without you guys > ??????!

Nov 7, 2019, 10:34 AM

I prefer the Greenwood/96 version that I grew up on in the 50s-70s such as Ricks BBQ and the Hash House https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=185&v=bBF8QzjI5M0 skip to 1:33. Check out Miss Ruth Ivester Polatty in her Swing Medallions shirt.
Today Little Pigs in Greenwood, Corley's grocery, and Lee's at Lake Greenwood are pretty good examples of this variety of hash. Most all the mill villages in and around Greenwood had their own "hash masters" that would cook for that village. This practice died out sometime in the 60s I believe.

Re: Best BBQ HASH? STOP. JUST STOP. JB4 is 100% right!

Nov 7, 2019, 1:28 PM

All of this midlands and Low Country so called “hash” is just pure crap, IMHO.

If you’ve never eaten Greenwood or NintySix style hash you have no earthy concept of true BBQ Hash. It’s not heaven, but very close!

Used to eat at the Gwood Hash House (favorite of the Swingin Medallions - you know - “Double Shot of My Baby’s Love”) often and after relocating to the Low Country in ‘77 I’d bring back 8 quarts of Ricks Hash (on the old McCormick Hwy) closed for years. And don’t get me started on The Ranch Sour Cream when it was next to the Dixie Drive In.

I make my own Hash now that’s close to Greenwood style. Here’s the recipe (I had to cut it down a bit!) that I can now make in an 8qt Crock Pot in 14 hours!

UPSTATE SC GREENWOOD FIREHOUSE
BBQ HASH

25 pounds pork (no bones)
25 pounds beef (no bones)
10 lbs. baking potatoes
10 lbs. onions
1 pt. vinegar
1 pt. mustard
6 oz. Texas Pete
6 oz. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/4 lbs butter (not margarine)

Cover meat good with water. (We normally do this in a black iron pot.) Stir meat with a paddle to remove any fat or skin. When meat is done and begins to come apart, you then add the cut up onions and potatoes. Add your seasonings and butter. Keep stirring to keep meat from sticking. When it has cooked down to the consistency you like, it's done.

Can’t be beat - make you slap yo gradmammy!

Nov 7, 2019, 10:47 AM

Shealy’s BBQ. Best hash in the state.

I'm a little over an hours drive away from Shealys. I have

Nov 7, 2019, 11:58 AM

heard enough good comments about it that I will check it out one of these soon days. Then, my extinguished palate will bring back a definitive report. :)

Re: I'm a little over an hours drive away from Shealys. I have

Nov 7, 2019, 12:53 PM

On your way there stop by Cone's Meats in Ridge Spring and pick up a jar of their FINE hash.

Re: I'm a little over an hours drive away from Shealys. I have

Nov 8, 2019, 12:59 AM

Cone's hash is VERY close to Greenwood/96 hash. it is a little drier and has no potato in it but the flavor is exact. My daughter who lives in Edgefield brings me a jar when she comes to visit. I just put cut up a potato into very small pieces boil for 30 minutes and then put in the Cones hash and voila-proper Greenwood/96 hash......

Nov 7, 2019, 12:18 PM

Wards in Sumter. Browns in Hemingway also good.
They try to dress it up too much in Charleston after it’s all said and done it has all kind of additives ti satisfy them high end crowd.

Charleston do like to "Put on Airs". They call families that

Nov 7, 2019, 12:30 PM

have lived there for a hundred years "newcomers". :)

Nov 7, 2019, 12:32 PM

Its hard to find good hash because its very expensive to make it the right way.

Don’t have time to read the article so

Nov 7, 2019, 12:49 PM

I will save you guys some time too. I can only assume it goes on and on to finally say Sweatman’s has the best hash. You’re welcome.

Sweatman's is a lot like Lone Star BBQ near the Santee

Nov 7, 2019, 1:07 PM

state park. Surely you've had theirs, too?

Re: Sweatman's is a lot like Lone Star BBQ near the Santee

Nov 7, 2019, 6:32 PM

Lone Star also recently changed ownership, I believe. They are pretty good, but I wouldn't rate them quite as good as the "old" Sweatman's. The meat is seasoned a little different.

Mmmmmmmmmmm...................***

Nov 7, 2019, 1:27 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mmmmmmmmmmm...................***

Nov 7, 2019, 1:45 PM

Greenwood area hash is by far the best you can get Lees Bbq hash at most bilos in town

Mmmmm...................*** Greenwood Hash!

Nov 7, 2019, 1:59 PM

Crock pot full of Greenwood style hash.

Re: Mmmmmmmmmmm...................***

Nov 7, 2019, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Mmmmmmmmmmm...................*** ]

Lee's is close in taste to the old Felder recipe from Bowman. Either is more "livery" tasting than most hashes, which is why I liked it better.

Nov 7, 2019, 4:10 PM

Sweatmans Hwy 453 between Holly Hill & Eutawville and yes the Ole school house @ Santee State park. Make sure you try the fried skins @ Sweatmans

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 4:10 PM

Sweatmans Hwy 453 between Holly Hill & Eutawville and yes the Ole school house @ Santee State park. Make sure you try the fried skins @ Sweatmans

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Carolina BBQ in New Ellenton hands down

Nov 7, 2019, 5:24 PM

You'll thank me later

This is the best kept secret in SC

Nov 7, 2019, 6:08 PM

Only open on weekends. They used to have awesome hash. Haven’t been there in a long time.

Wise Bar-B-Q House
25548 US-76, Newberry, SC 29108
(803) 276-6699
https://goo.gl/maps/ujrHpYqaDb1UUefi7

In Greenville area my favorite is SBH bbq on Pelham. Great pork brisket and turkey. Burnt ends sandwich every Thursday

Re: This is the best kept secret in SC

Nov 7, 2019, 6:24 PM

I'm glad to know that Wise's is still in business. The last time I was there was 1987 or 88. Will have to make a pilgrimage.

As for Upcountry hash, disdained by some on this thread -- Henry's Smokehouse in Greenville. We regularly pick up hash and rice on our way back to Charlotte. MMM MMM Good!

I forgot about Henry’s hash

Nov 8, 2019, 10:03 AM

I like the hash from Henry’s and Maurice’s.

Wise had great has but I really remember the pork and homemade pork rinds.

Wise's is still open, although it may not be quite as good

Nov 7, 2019, 11:10 PM [ in reply to This is the best kept secret in SC ]

since Johnny Wise died a few years ago. Run by his son now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sconyers in Augusta***

Nov 7, 2019, 7:15 PM

Clyde Cone’s....Ridge Spring, SC son!

Nov 7, 2019, 7:19 PM

Available by the quart jar.

Best BBQ hash, Midway in Union SC

Nov 7, 2019, 7:41 PM

In Buffalo SC to be exact
All the sides are great too

Re: Best BBQ hash, Midway in Union SC

Nov 9, 2019, 3:22 AM

Midway BBQ is off the chain good! I need to get back down there it's been a while. Not to far from the BURG!

Nov 7, 2019, 8:19 PM

Best in the low country.... Radd Dew’s liver hash(Horry Co.)

Nov 7, 2019, 9:49 PM

My father tells the story from his Clemson days in the late fifties, ‘57 I believe, when a man went missing from the food service staff. He says that there was an industrial meat grinder on campus with stairs and a walkway around top and apparently the man fell into the grinder. The missing persons case was solved when a gold tooth showed up in the hash the next day. Maybe LBB had a helping of that hash?

Nov 7, 2019, 11:34 PM

Does LBB have a gold tooth necklace ?
That's really button that story up wouldn't it ?

DB23

Nov 8, 2019, 7:54 AM

Scott’s BBQ in Hemingway SC is my favorite for anything BBQ related.

Nov 8, 2019, 8:07 AM

GOT SOME IN THE CROCK POT NOW. BEEN COOKING SINCE 7 LAST NIGHT. USED DUKES BBQ RECIPE. TASTES PRETTY GOOD. GOING TO LET IT GO AT LEAST 4 MORE HOURS. ANY ADVICE.

Nov 8, 2019, 9:01 AM

Midway BBQ in Union (between Union and Buffalo) has a beef hash, full of onions, spices and butter. It looks like gray cat puke, but it is the best thing ever, although you will likely burp it for a few days.

I use to get hash from the "meat locker" or at least that's

Nov 8, 2019, 9:54 AM

we called it... It was located below the bridge next to the river in Saluda. They processed all kinds of meat there. Your description of "gray cat puke" is what made me post. That would be an apt description of the hash we'd get. Nasty to look at but MAN WAS IT GOOD!!! The burping part sounds familiar, too. Carolina, Duke's, Shealey's... not even in the same class and I've been eating theirs for 40+ years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go to any community club or fire dept bbq in the midlands

Nov 8, 2019, 10:13 AM

And your wish will be granted.

Replies: 67
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic