Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reading the "Red" Parker biography . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Reading the "Red" Parker biography . . .

Sep 21, 2017, 9:16 AM

Mentioned this a week ago. One of my colleagues grew up in Fordyce, AR. Was good friends with Red's son apparently. Has a book autographed by him. Recently started my new civilian job and made it Clear that I'm a Clemson fan. So he brought me this book. I skipped to Clemson years because it's long. Read the first chapter last night. He sort of sounds a lot like Dabo in that he tried to do the right things, was a shot of adrenaline to the program. Basically only covered the first two years so far. But interesting stuff. Like played Ga Tech at GT every year til he made a stink out of it. That's a game changer. Restarted running down the hill. First winning season in a long time. The players interviewed so far all think highly of him. May not have won the NC but sounds like he was instrumental and did some great things.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reading the "Red" Parker biography . . .

Sep 21, 2017, 9:45 AM

Red was instrumental in getting some of the recruits and changing the program which eventually ended up with Danny winning the NC

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a nice guy...........

Sep 21, 2017, 9:46 AM

He was coaching at Clemson while I was a student in the mid 70s. Once, after a loss (I think badly to Alabama if I remember correctly), I mailed him a note of encouragement, etc. (this was in the pre-email and social media days for you younger guys). I just wanted to be supportive.

But I got back a nice handwritten reply from him which I didn't expect. Was on his official Clemson stationary and was about a paragraph long. He thanked me for my support and for being a loyal Tiger fan, etc.

Obviously, he didn't have to do that but that was an indication of the kind of person he was.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was a nice guy...........my wife and I went

Sep 21, 2017, 9:53 AM

to that Bama game. They killed us. Back then Bryant Denny was a dump used for small games and big ones were at Legion Field. Hard to believe what it is now when you see it on tv.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I remember that - and now it's the other way.......

Sep 21, 2017, 10:28 AM

around because I understand Legion Field's a dump now.

Sep 21, 2017, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: He was a nice guy...........my wife and I went ]

Wasn't the Bama loss at Bama in 1976? They scored 50 something I think? We also lost to GA that year in DV by a bad score on TV (40 something to 3 maybe?) to the best of my old memory banks lol. Red would have had a winner the next year if we had kept him around though.

Sep 21, 2017, 12:35 PM

It was September of 75. My father had passed away the night before. My Mom said that score might have done him in.
Bad week-end all around

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Believe his team was cheated by SEC refs @ TN & after game i saw him

Sep 21, 2017, 9:48 AM

almost crying & hugging some of team players getting into the bus how sorry he was that they were so close & gave such an effort but cheated.

I really liked RED & was he truly was turning program around imho.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The tn thug is in the books. Passed a rule that you couldn't

Sep 21, 2017, 10:44 AM

Line up more than 15 yards from the football or something like that and the wr was in the sideline didn't huddle. He caught the winning td pass. He says that he knew it wouldn't work but the acc official said it was 100% illegal. Sec recognized it was illegal but didn't change the outcome.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The tn thug is in the books. Passed a rule that you couldn't

Sep 21, 2017, 11:05 AM

I think it was Stanley Morgan who stayed on the sidelines and was hidden by a group of players surrounding him. Just before the snap he jumped onto the field of play and raced down the sideline uncovered.
Our bench, Jim Phillips ect were apopletic. No call. I still hate them for that and the officials who allowed. It was not a judgement call, but an illegal trick play. Oveeshadowed great game by us especially Bennie Cunningham.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2017, 10:07 AM

Yeah was there when the team was having a bad year 3-6-2 , but we beat Carolina 29-9, thought that would be enough to bring him back for another year.. but it was not so.. he was let go and we brought in Trader Pell.

Sep 21, 2017, 5:21 PM

28-9

Sep 21, 2017, 11:19 AM

Red won at The Citadel during the height of the Vietnam War., when sentiment about attending military school was lowest ever.
In 74 the Tennesse cheats cost us a bowl.
75 was a disaster and the only Clemson team I saw quit. In 76 with his players who were incredibly young they played better than their record. He swore Clemson would not lose to USC and routed them by avenging them keeping their starters on the field during a rout and scoring on a long td pass in the last minute.
He was dismissed after that season.
Things worked out good for us but I have always wondered what would have happened if he had been retaine with Fuller , Butler and that group of players.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic