Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Finebaum: Dabo Swinney is 'the only person' who can replace Nick Saban
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

TNET: Finebaum: Dabo Swinney is 'the only person' who can replace Nick Saban

Apr 30, 2018, 11:38 AM

Finebaum: Dabo Swinney is 'the only person' who can replace Nick Saban

ESPN’s Paul Finebaum was the Master of Ceremonies for the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame dinner over the weekend, where Clemson coach Dabo Swinney was among the in Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't see it

Apr 30, 2018, 11:57 AM

Dabo goes to a place like Alabama and there's nowhere to go but down. Clemson is his baby. He has built this program to heights never before seen and maintained. We're not just a one-hit wonder - we are one of the standards other programs use to measure their own.

Of course he has a fondness for Alabama. That's his home state, his alma mater, and there are surely a lot of emotional connections there, and then the honor of being inducted into the hall of fame.

Whomever follows Saban will inherit Saban's program. I don't see Dabo being in to that. He is very happy in Dabo's program. IF he ever were to leave Clemson for another school, I'd see it as another one where he has an opportunity to build a program again like he did here and to take that on as his next challenge.

But replacing Saban? He's going back to Bama? Bama? Bama? No, I don't think so. (apologies to LL Cool J)

Re: I don't see it

Apr 30, 2018, 12:07 PM

I don't want to see it! As Dabo said, you never know what the dynamics will be at the time.

Re: I don't see it either***

Apr 30, 2018, 12:13 PM

As with Alabama ( Nick is Tha'Man ) --- at Clemson ( Dabo is Tha'Man )

GO TIGERS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 30, 2018, 3:35 PM [ in reply to I don't see it ]

I agree with you, I don’t see him wanting to follow and be compared to Saban every day if his life

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Apr 30, 2018, 8:28 PM [ in reply to I don't see it ]

The only way that Dabo would ever be the HC at Bama, would be if he got ran out of Clemson, and that won't happen either!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2018, 8:56 PM [ in reply to I don't see it ]

I am 45 years old and the level of respect that I have for Dabo as a man - I would be floored and sorely disappointed if he left for any reason other than the trustees making the situation difficult. And I couldn’t imagine any reason that would happen. My goodness if you tried to calculate the impact of Dabo onto Clemson as a whole, you would probably have to 10x his salary. Anyone running off Dabo better go into witness protection mode. Probably the most under valued person on campus, considering the value he brings to the table. At this point Dabo IS Clemson. And the fact that he does things the right way without question. After living through the Tommy West years, I still cannot believe what is happening. And someone by the name of “that boy” came out of nowhere and is leading the charge is something of legend. The whole thing still seems somewhat unreal. If Clemson needs to match someone’s offer, I say start a gofundme.com and I would gladly contribute. Leaving just contridicts everything the man represents. He says “bloom where you are planted”. The big man upstairs planted him in Clemson SC, not Bama. Long live Dabo!

Dabo Swinney could NEVER replace Nick Saban

Apr 30, 2018, 12:05 PM

without first undergoing MAJOR personality removal surgery.

Have to agree with finbum on this...

Apr 30, 2018, 12:07 PM

"I’m probably going to upset somebody here, but when it comes down to it, it’s Alabama vs. Clemson. It’s no contest if you’re thinking about ‘OK, where do I really want to be long-term?’ "

It really is no contest - Clemson all the way baby!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ain't happening, y'all...***

Apr 30, 2018, 12:09 PM

Re: TNET: Finebaum: Dabo Swinney is 'the only person' who can replace Nick Saban

Apr 30, 2018, 12:11 PM

I’d just like to reiterate to the TNet admins...I don’t read and don’t care what Finebaum says.

I didn’t click on the link and I won’t.

I spend more time inspecting my snot after blowing my nose and turds after a poop than I do caring about the garbage that comes out of that idiots mouth.

Re: TNET: Finebaum: Dabo Swinney is 'the only person' who can replace Nick Saban

Apr 30, 2018, 12:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Apr 30, 2018, 12:23 PM

767_E8_FBD-5_B7_D-47_E5-_BCE3-17_B668_E30_FB8.

Apr 30, 2018, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Finebaum: Dabo Swinney is 'the only person' who can replace Nick Saban ]

Ah......true love. :)

Yea!!! TigerFinebaumNet.com is baaaack!!!***

Apr 30, 2018, 12:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, I wanted Christie Brinkley

Apr 30, 2018, 12:49 PM

Farah Fawcett and I had a crush on Olivia Newton-John.

Don't tell me its not the same thing. Go Tigers!

Showing your age there buddy...

Apr 30, 2018, 8:38 PM

And your great taste!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Once bama fans realize...

Apr 30, 2018, 12:51 PM

Dabo wants to play top non conference teams on home and home basis, and will suspend players, regardless of who he is playing the next weekend...they'll realize he isn't the bama type.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2018, 12:51 PM

I'm more interested to see what kind of money Michigan offers Dabo when the tire of Harbaugh.

#1 priority at Michigan is beating Ohio, and no one makes Urban thier ##### quiet like Dabo.

The arrogance behind the thought that all Alabama has

Apr 30, 2018, 1:08 PM

to do is offer Dabo more money because 'Hey, they're Alabama and they're in the SEC and everybody else is crap' just chaps my ###. I hope when Dabo tells them 'no', it's a resounding 'Hell NO'.

Dabo won't leave Clemson...

Apr 30, 2018, 1:13 PM

until the time is right. Alabama will have nothing to do as to when he leaves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where was Bama's offer when Clemson gave Dabo a chance?

Apr 30, 2018, 1:17 PM

The administration went way out on a limb giving Dabo a shot at Head Coach. Do you think ol Bama would've done the same for Dabo and believed in him back when others didn't?

Flame & Charcoal me crispy but DaBO will leave Clemson imho..

Apr 30, 2018, 1:29 PM

when Bama comes calling. Didn't think so for all this time but after rationalizing what PaulF said about DaBO being at home & happy there and they love him to death, etc...

he will most likely leave, not for the $ but for returning “home” & the unreal opportunity to just say he coached Bama..

win or lose...and we all know he will be a winner even if it won’t be the super numbers of Natties Saban has.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Flame & Charcoal me crispy but DaBO will leave Clemson imho..

Apr 30, 2018, 1:33 PM

I SEE THE BULB IS STILL OUT FOR BILL.

Bill’s bulb has been out for a long time

Apr 30, 2018, 2:44 PM

Between SEC love and UNC love I wonder how he has time for Clemson

He is that old drunk uncle you just know is going to jump in pool naked at family reunion

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo IS home. He's a guy who has to prove something.

Apr 30, 2018, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Flame & Charcoal me crispy but DaBO will leave Clemson imho.. ]

He thrives on it. It's his wheelhouse. If he went to Bama people would say it's not so much Dabo as it is the legacy Saban left and Alabama recruits itself and all that jazz. There's nothing to prove at Alabama and Dabo isn't about money. He has more clout at Clemson than he ever would at Alabama. The only reason he would leave is if the BOT or future president turn against him, ala Danny Ford. Dabo is king at Clemson, and he's happy. It's going to take a hell of a bad turn of events for him to leave.

LBB love your love of Clemson and your honesty ...

Apr 30, 2018, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Flame & Charcoal me crispy but DaBO will leave Clemson imho.. ]

While Dabo may or may not leave Clemson one day, I hope he wins another championship or two as the Clemson coach before he makes up his mind ... which will make him even more desirable to the Bama fan base.

Clemson and Terry Don Phillips gave Coach Swinney an opportunity that never would have happened in Bama. He made the most of it with his energy, drive, communication and coaching skills. And you are right -- it doesn't mean Dabo owes Clemson the rest of his life. As a pragmatist like you, I will be more than happy with two more natl championship rings in the next five years and whatever decision Dabo believes is in his best interest. And just as it took Deshaun to place Dabo in this small subset of championship coaches, it will take our best QB to win one or two more. So let's win now. 2018 is a good place to start. And regardless of where Dabo coaches in his career, I graduated from Clemson in 1984. I will always be a Clemson man, and I will continue pull for Clemson every football week as long as I am able. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree. I can see Dabo leaving one day for Bama. I've been

May 1, 2018, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Flame & Charcoal me crispy but DaBO will leave Clemson imho.. ]

saying this for years that if he becomes the coach we want him to be, then Alabama will want him. He has become that coach. Bama fans at the NC game two years ago told me, "We love Dabo and we're coming after him." They really love him. It would be the hardest thing in his life to do but I'm not saying he will leave. I'm just saying it is a real possibility. But we can enjoy it while it lasts. We could hardly believe Danny Ford left but he did. You never know what circumstances will be in a few years.

Apr 30, 2018, 1:42 PM

Amazing ascendancy in 3 years for Clemson and Dabo. Dabo in the Bama HOF. Non problem imo, but his recent record got him ther, not as a member of a team long ago. As far as the only person who could succeed Saban? Nope, it's a joke or a poor attempt to raise his own (Finebaum) rep. The real answer to that question is in Dabo''s heart. He has established a real Tiger dynasty at Clemson and has consistently attained the highest respect among recruits, players and fans in building our program. His challenge at Bama is to convert a program winning at the highest level to suit his way of coaching to achieve the same result. Why? Money-doubt it cause he's doing fine now. Hometown- doubt it cause he has a great home and fan base now.

Finebaum was trying to be funny. Many can replace Saban, but can they be successful?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All they can offer him is money and a chance to fail ...

Apr 30, 2018, 1:44 PM

How much money does he want or need.

How big are the chances that he fails to satisfy Bama fans who have become accustomed to nothing but national titles?

I don't think he would be lured away for money. And I don't think he sees anything he could accomplish at Bama that he couldn't accomplish at Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All they can offer him is money and a chance to fail ...

Apr 30, 2018, 2:32 PM

Think about it. Two losses in one season at 'Bama and Dabo is a bum

Re: All they can offer him is money and a chance to fail ...

Apr 30, 2018, 3:00 PM [ in reply to All they can offer him is money and a chance to fail ... ]

It's never money for him. But the program, for his coaches -- look at that payroll -- and for all the amenities, every one of them. He is very adept at getting what he wants, and this is just another opportunity. Or would be.

But let's think about this: he now has or will have two sons on his Clemson football team, plus Stallings' grandson. A son just going into HS, I think. Maybe already in. He is in his lae 40s and has coached at ... two programs. He's going nowhere.

Dabo's next challenge will be to replicate

Apr 30, 2018, 1:59 PM

across all athletics what he has done for football as Clemson's athletic director.

He is the penultimate CEO and the only challenge left is to run the entire company, not just one division.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: Dabo's next challenge will be to replicate

Apr 30, 2018, 2:33 PM

Wouldn't that be nice! National champs in more than one sport. I like the way you think!

Being a bit older

Apr 30, 2018, 2:08 PM

Than most on here, I can tell you that there are plenty of good comments on both sides of the scenario. I had always thought Dabo would only go after the person who replaces Saban takes over and doesn’t perform like Saban.

But there are many factors and perspectives that change from your early years to your later and no one on here has any sense what those are. Dabo may, in fact,not even know yet as we are likely 4-5 years away from Saban’s retirement.

Let’s value and appreciate all he has done to bring us back to a national championship caliber team, every year, and wish him the ultimate success in whatever he does or wherever he goes next. We will be OK and the reality is if he goes, we will have gotten his best years, created the best memories and seen some of the greatest football anyone of us will ever be so close to. I grew up in Danny’s tenure and the belief in being a Tiger could never waiver after listening to and seeing what he did for Clemson. Dabo has done the same for this current generation. Here or somewhere else, his impact will lead to continual greatness for the Clemson family.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well stated and wise perspective Mr. Brooks***

Apr 30, 2018, 11:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on, everybody should know that Fartbomb is just

Apr 30, 2018, 2:36 PM

trying to stir the pot. He knew that he would incite the exact reaction he is getting from a lot of you'se. You need to just ignore him, and one of these years he will just flap his ears and fly away!

Apr 30, 2018, 2:55 PM

Anyone suggesting Swinney would replace Saban has no real appreciation of what that would require of all hands. Swinney/Clemson is an entirely separate and a complete, diametrical opposite to Saban/Alabama. Call it management style, call it culture, call it atmosphere. Clemson's is, while hard-driving and demanding beyond belief sometime, a much more relaxed and comfortable atmosphere in which character of the people, players and coaches, managers, trainers, etc., all must meld into his Legacy-style management. He is serious when he talks about "relationships". Saban is more wound up, less accessible, more feared, and his staff teeters on dismissal every practice. It ain't pretty there often. Meaning: Swinney would have to flip the entire culture, and the result would be 2-4 years of Clemson-style development before they got on this level. Lastly, the writer puts some importance in Gene Stallings sitting there, and Stallings is a big influence on Swinney. Stallings would not ask Swinney to go anywhere except Clemson, period. Don't forget in the first place Swinney has been fired once in his life. By Alabama. And Swinney, well. There ain't many gatherings in which Dabo Swinney is not the smartest guy in any room. Meaning he knows how to play Alabama off Clemson to get what he wants for his football program. Which is everything. They might flirt. Swinney won't. But he will always be coy about never saying never, loud enough for Clemson to hear it. Relax. He is here. With a program built to get into the NC playoffs every year, and a conference now a patsy for it.

Apr 30, 2018, 3:23 PM

He would be stupid to leave Clemson.

Successful there, people love him, plays in the ACC.

Bama right after Saban?

No thanks.

What does playing in the ACC have to do with anything?

May 1, 2018, 12:48 PM

Don't know if you've noticed but outside of Alabama the SEC has sucked for years, until UGA and Auburn last season. Lose the conference arrogance. It's stupid. The SEC hasn't been the SEC in a long time.

IF and that is a big IF

Apr 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

Dabo goes to Bama, he will be replacing the guy who replaced Saban, not Saban directly. Dabo is too smart to fall into the trap of being the first guy. And in the end, what makes this an even bigger if is that even with alma mater being considered, Tuscaloosa =Heather Dinich and Clemson, S.C. = Samantha Ponder

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^what he said^^^***

Apr 30, 2018, 4:16 PM

Apr 30, 2018, 4:15 PM

Dabo would have to:

1. Have to go in totally change the culture to fit his personality, style, and ethics...

2. He would have to start entirely over after having established his legacy here....

3. He would get the same talent level there, but wouldn’t attract the same level of character he gets here....

4. Money does not necessarily motivate Dabo. Family does! Does that same feel exist in Tuscaloosa? NO!

Dabo leaves for Alabama? “Good luck with that”....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I built my own dynasty virtually from scratch, and am set

Apr 30, 2018, 5:21 PM

for life, but I'm going to move back to the place that fired me to fill the void left by Satan and try to please his crazy fanbase...Finebaum makes me laugh. What a master agitator.

not one shred of "news" here - just says what we all know

Apr 30, 2018, 6:19 PM

After Saban Bama will come hard after Dabo. He may or may not leave us. Enjoy the ride, it's been epic!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2018, 8:16 PM

Jim hairball?

Apr 30, 2018, 8:32 PM

with all due respect...Dabo isn't a pimple on Nick Saban's a$$. The guy has 6 natty titles.

Apr 30, 2018, 8:34 PM

with all due respect...Dabo isn't a pimple on Nick Saban's a$$. The guy has 6 natty titles.

How many HC's has Dabo Swinney spawned in his career?

Dogfan, hope y'all beat Alabama and earn the right to play

May 1, 2018, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Finebaum: Dabo Swinney is 'the only person' who can replace Nick Saban ]

Clemson this playoff season coming. We're going to hang 60 on you and you'll be lucky to score 10. Bank it.

Whoever replaces Nick Saban will be fired if a National Championship isn’t won in 3 years***

Apr 30, 2018, 11:29 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

May 1, 2018, 12:13 PM

When Dabo retires, do you think Clemson would offer the job to Saban?

Finebaum is 'the only person' who can replace Walt Deptula***

May 1, 2018, 9:39 PM

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic