Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Basketball game thoughts/recap from last night...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,161

Basketball game thoughts/recap from last night...

Nov 29, 2012, 8:37 AM

Dont put too much stock into last night. We were up against some crazy obstacles...
1. Milt gets arrested and suspended yesterday morning. That is a shock to the team and definitely a distraction. Also, we only had a few hours prior to the game to prepare without him
2. Booker was a gametime decision as to whether or not he was going to play because his grandfather became ill. He was not even planning to play at shootaround. Yet again, that is a distraction and a shock to the team. not to mention, booker's head could not have been 100% in the game (even though he played really well)
3. With the 5 freshmen, we have played 1 home game in front of a crowd of about 3000 people, 1 road game (Furman) in front of about 2500 people, 3 tourney games in front of about 1500 people and last night we had about 6000-6500 in the stands which was a lot of these guys first game ever playing in front of a crowd that big.
4. We had a guy play against us that made 6 3's in the first half (one from the paw at mid court) when he only averages 2 per game. And this was not due to bad defense he was just simply 'feeling it'

Now, onto the actual game, my thoughts positive/negative

Positives
1. Being down 20 at halftime and with Purdue shooting 70% from the field, we could have easily quit but did not. The boys played hard and Brownell, as always, coached hard.
2. The turnovers. Once again, we were in single digits in turnover margin for the 5th time this year. if we can just turn the good possesions into POINTS we'll be alright
3. pressure defense. Brownell put our young guys in some pressure situations early in the second half and we really confused Purdue and it got us back in the game
4. Devin Booker. For the first time this year, i thought devin played a leadership role. He had 18 pts and did a pretty good job on the inside, i thought
5. the crowd. I thought the crowd was actually pretty good and the students were into the game. I hope this trend continues and goes on the up and up

Negatives
1. Shooting. We have got to get the dad gum ball in the basket! TJ Sapp, at some point, has got to find some confidence because i think brownell really wants to count on him to score 11-12 points a game and hit some 3 pointers. We also have to get more from Filer and Roper as the season wears on. I think they had a combined 2 field goals last night. Gotta get more from them.
2. Rebounding. At one point last night, i think we were getting out rebounded 15-2 in the first half. Even at a size disadvantage, we have to do better than that!

All in all, last night was just a loss. Purdue played their best game of the year and we did not. We are not a team that can expect to score 75 and win. If a team comes out and hits 3's, shoots over 50% from the field, etc. we will just have to tip our caps to them because thats not the way we play.

PLEASE dont give up on this team. It was encouraging to see a (decent) crowd last night. Coach Brownell is a GREAT coach and he and this team deserve our support. They will continue to get better and will win some games this year.. maybe even 18-20. I fully expect them to go down to Columbia and take care of business this sunday and get back on track.

Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Free throw shooting

Nov 29, 2012, 8:40 AM

Our free shooting sucked in the second half. That was a big factor in us not closing the gaps. The refs were giving both teams plenty of chances to shoot in the second half. We gotta hit those.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

right. i meant to add that onto my 'shooting' point

Nov 29, 2012, 8:43 AM

if we could have just hit a few of those during the 2nd half, momentum and confidence could have swayed on our side.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson basketball has been cursed throughout......

Nov 29, 2012, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Free throw shooting ]

the ages with the inability to make foul shots. I can't count how many big games I've seen us lose that we would have would won with decent foul shooting.

Re: Free throw shooting

Nov 29, 2012, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Free throw shooting ]

yep it seemed like everytime we got close we'd clang them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Free throw shooting

Nov 29, 2012, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Free throw shooting ]

Rod Hall really needs to step it up on that front. It's bad news when your big men are better FT shooters than your starting PG.

did Nnoko even play? What was the story there?

Nov 29, 2012, 8:53 AM

I thought he was gonna be a 20+ minute guy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nnoko...3 minutes....Smith....4 minutes

Nov 29, 2012, 8:59 AM

I guess with the big lead Purdue jumped out to, Brownlee decided to run more of a guard set with Booker being the only big man. Book played a ton of minutes.

i have wondered the same thing...

Nov 29, 2012, 9:02 AM [ in reply to did Nnoko even play? What was the story there? ]

he did not play much in the Old Spice tournament either. During the Furman game, Brownell put him in quite a few times and almost immediately took him out and then put him back in again. Undoubtedly, he was using these times as 'teaching moments' so perhaps he just does not feel that he is ready to compete against he likes of the Big 10.
We could have used his size last night, if nothing else to grab a few rebounds.

Also, i dont know if this has anything to do with it, but Brownell has said over and over again that if you do not 'bring it' in practice, you wont play in the games. No idea if he has work ethic/practice issues but this could be a reason, too

Good point....was just looking over the box scores

Nov 29, 2012, 9:07 AM

for the Old Spice. I didn't realize just how little Nnoko was on the floor. I was at a couple of them and it seemed like he was out there more. Clearly, he wasn't.

how was the clemson contingent in Orlando?

Nov 29, 2012, 9:11 AM

who had the most fans?

I would give Gonzaga the overall most fans. They were

Nov 29, 2012, 9:16 AM

out in force, although as you could probably tell by watching, NO school was packing the place out. One end of the floor was pretty much blocked off to everyone, some sort of VIP section with noone in it. Oklahoma seemed to bring a decent amount. We had a pretty good contingent, though. I'm bad at guessing to put a number on it.

Next year without Booker or Jennings - who rebounds?

Nov 29, 2012, 10:10 AM [ in reply to i have wondered the same thing... ]

If last night was a preview - oh boy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would we have won if Jennings had played?

Nov 29, 2012, 8:58 AM

I think it would have been very close - Bernard was terrible. Can we beat UsuC without Milton?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If noone is stopping that kid from hitting 3's, I'm not sure

Nov 29, 2012, 9:02 AM

what the difference would have been with Milt in the game. Our offense just isn't built to go down by nearly 20 and expect to come back. We gave it a good run, though, at a few points in the second half. Gotta hit those free throws. Milt definitley would have helped Booker out with dealing with that big dude down low. I have no idea what the Coots have in basketball. I'm sure it will be close. They have beat us two straight years.

If noone is stopping that kid from hitting 3's Jennings' D

Nov 29, 2012, 9:11 AM

& rebounding - I have seen Milton use those long arms stopping outside shooters! Yes, we have inexplicly lost to poor coot teams lsat two years - it looked as if Tiger Teams were not hustling last two years. Hopefully, this loss may wake em up?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose they could have put Milt on that kid, but it would

Nov 29, 2012, 9:18 AM

seem to me his services would have been badly needed trying to stop all those offensive rebounds by the Purdue bigs that were killing us early on. Either way, Milt was needed and missed, regardless of how much bagging people do on the dude.

would we have won? hard to say. can we beat sc? YES

Nov 29, 2012, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Would we have won if Jennings had played? ]

idk if we WILL beat SC but we definitely should. We are the better team (with or without book), they are having issues with players and Frank Martin already, they've beaten nobody, and the game is at noon on sunday so it will be a snoozefest of a crowd. Not to mention, SC plays tonight against a top25 team which could cause them issues for sunday as well with preparation, travel, etc.

Re: would we have won? hard to say. can we beat sc? YES

Nov 29, 2012, 10:26 AM

>they are having issues with players and Frank Martin >already

No they aren't.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,161
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic