Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Worth noting...Lisa Murkowski now can't be primaried
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Worth noting...Lisa Murkowski now can't be primaried

Jan 26, 2021, 6:50 PM

FWIW...Lisa Murkowski of Alaska is now probably in the catbird's seat among Washington politicians, because she's not vulnerable to primary challenges anymore.

Why?

Because Alaska went to ranked choice voting, that's why. Which means she's free to vote any old way she cares to and neither Mitch McConnell nor Donald Trump can "primary" her if she doesn't walk the party line.

The only people she answers to are the voters of the state of Alaska. Which means she can waltz right down the middle without worrying about catering to the extremists on either side.

I keep saying it: if we want to stop choosing between bad and worse, ranked choice voting is how we get there.

https://www.vox.com/2020/11/19/21537126/alaska-measure-2-ranked-choice-voting-results

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Based on what you've said, I'm with you. There might be a

Jan 26, 2021, 7:51 PM

fly in that ointment I don't know about, but you seem to be up on it, and I'm on your side on that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Based on what you've said, I'm with you. There might be a

Jan 26, 2021, 8:08 PM

The Republican Party in Arizona just voted to censure former Senator Jeff Flake, John McCain's widow Cindy McCain, and governor Doug Ducey.

That's insanity. YOU ARE WITH US OR AGAINST US. Even if you are the standing governor of the state whose only sin was certifying a legal election, or the widow of one of the greatest Americans and patriots in modern American history. If you want to load the party with a bunch of QAnon lunatics who are all hot to charge the Capitol, that's exactly the way to do it.

Sane people instinctively recoil from tactics and declarations like that, and ranked choice voting means you've got multiple menu options on the table. You get one wingnut frothing at the mouth demanding their candidates walk a line like this, the other three candidates on the stage are just going to look pityingly at the crazy person ranting and raving and have their substantive talk on the issues around them. Extremism only works in primaries, and in a general election you'd better be able to sell yourself to a cross-section of the public or you're just not going to get elected, at least not if RCV is in play.

Re: Based on what you've said, I'm with you. There might be a

Jan 26, 2021, 10:01 PM

LOL, are you really saying “YOU ARE WITH US OR AGAINST US.” in reference to something silly.

Voices have been silenced permanently in this country for not bowing to MSM, big tech, and insane liberals. And you are only concerned with politics as usual moves?? Good god man.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Worth noting...Lisa Murkowski now can't be primaried

Jan 26, 2021, 8:52 PM

sounds like they are making it easier to install a D

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2021, 9:06 PM

In Alaska?

Good luck with that. Alaska's at R+9. It's even redder than South Carolina is.

I think she already has one***

Jan 26, 2021, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Worth noting...Lisa Murkowski now can't be primaried ]

You don't work for those RepresentUs guys, do you?

Jan 26, 2021, 11:00 PM

The HR1 comments on dark money, your term limit stance, the ranked choice comment... You sound like them. (That's a good thing, IMO ;) )

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Jan 27, 2021, 9:11 AM

I like the idea of ranked choice voting. However, I don't think many voters know how to handle current voting measures without throwing another variable at them. This would require a lot of education, but I am down with it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic