Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bad timing, bad assumptions, and bad people all around.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Bad timing, bad assumptions, and bad people all around.

Sep 21, 2020, 8:02 AM

Just thoughts and observations from this past weekend with RBG's passing:

-Talking with a friend who is voting for Trump, we both agreed this was the worst timing given how divided our nation already is. As predicted, both sides have scrambled to create a partisan battle before the woman is even in the ground. This is the last thing we needed before an election.

-Choosing Supreme Court justices shouldn't be such partisan folly, and those who make it such exhibit complete ignorance. Look at John Roberts. Is he towing the party line? No, he's interpreting the Constitution.

-What's the primary reason they do it? The stupid abortion chess just for votes. The SCOTUS isn't revisiting Roe v. Wade. Everyone in Congress knows it. They place this game because they think you're too stupid to realize it. But now we have to put abortion back on the docket for the election, all the while having a pro-choice president who pretends he's pro-life.

-The GOP has put themselves in a stupid situation. They skirted the Constitution with Merrick Garland. Now they're flipping and trying to hurry in a nominee. The American public is smart enough to see this hypocrisy, and it's not a good look heading into the election.

-As a result, the Dems are now going to turn partisan vengeful stupid once they take power in January. They'll probably stack the court with more justices since there isn't a limit. I can't see how that's good for anyone, but it'll be one extreme trying to play dirty as revenge against the other side that played dirty.

-I read posts over the weekend. If you said things like "the Dems will play dirty over this" with a straight face and actually believe your side is innocent in all this, you really need a reality check.

-If you were okay with the Pubs blocking Garland but now you think they should flip the narrative and hurry in a nominee, just admit you're a partisan hack and you just want your side to win. Don't waste our time with all sorts of spin and convoluted logic. Just say, "Yeah, I just want my side to win so I'm okay if they break the rules."

-Nominees should be voted upon immediately after the sitting president nominates them, regardless of an election. That should have happened in 2016, but the Pubs now made it a partisan hot mess. If you cheered them doing it in 2016, you contributed to the problem.

-Finally, reading comments shortly after she passed Friday, I realized that there are some real sorry excuses for human beings on this board. Some were outright cheering RGB's death; others were salivating over her replacement, which was just as bad, really. I guess that's where we are in America when a person who serves on the SCOTUS for so long passes away.

This last part made me chastise myself. Why should I waste my time conversing in a cesspool filled with such degenerates? Granted, it's a minority of the people here. I understand most of you reading this aren't like that.

But there's enough of them to make me engage in my own self-reflection. ####.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Blame is all on Dems!

Sep 21, 2020, 8:05 AM

If the Dems and press had accepted the 2016 election results and not criticized Trump UNTIL he did something deserving of criticism (instead of calling for impeachment immediately), we would not have the crap that’s going on today.
It’s all on you and your ilk...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RBG was fine, btw

Sep 21, 2020, 8:08 AM

Confirmed 96-3

Re: Blame is all on Dems!

Sep 21, 2020, 8:10 AM [ in reply to Blame is all on Dems! ]

Yeah but in 2016 and 2018 Lindsey Graham said that there should be no new justices in an election year. He wasn't alone.

Re: Blame is all on Dems!

Sep 21, 2020, 8:14 AM [ in reply to Blame is all on Dems! ]

-I read posts over the weekend. If you said things like "the Dems will play dirty over this" with a straight face and actually believe your side is innocent in all this, you really need a reality check.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Bengaline......you mean like this? This sort of accepting?

Sep 21, 2020, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Blame is all on Dems! ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn4hijKmMNk

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BTW, Scotus confirmations only are contentious

Sep 21, 2020, 8:10 AM

When Pub Presidents do the nominating....why is that?

Re: BTW, Scotus confirmations only are contentious

Sep 21, 2020, 8:12 AM

It was when Obama was attempting to nominate one in an election year too, so there goes that theory.

Re: BTW, Scotus confirmations only are contentious

Sep 21, 2020, 10:59 AM

The media and Dem party has turned the country into what it is today. Trump will get another Justice appointed because the Rep. have the senate and the WH. It was not that way under Obama. The Supreme court appointments was one the main reason a lot of people voted for Trump. Don't count your Dem chickens before they hatch.

Oh, Garland wasn't contentious?***

Sep 21, 2020, 8:14 AM [ in reply to BTW, Scotus confirmations only are contentious ]

WHO?

Sep 21, 2020, 9:03 AM

;)

I'm starting to wonder if you don't know anything about the

Sep 21, 2020, 9:21 AM [ in reply to BTW, Scotus confirmations only are contentious ]

precedent that was set by Mitch McConnell and the GOP well before Trump was elected. Your last couple posts would lend some credence to that theory.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bad timing, bad assumptions, and bad people all around.

Sep 21, 2020, 8:16 AM

She’s dead and she ain’t coming back. Gone forever !

Sep 21, 2020, 8:19 AM

Like Jesus.

Sep 21, 2020, 8:20 AM

No but her people killed Jesus

Sep 21, 2020, 8:26 AM

Meh. I am going to go out on a limb and say she wasn't involved.

A different point of view

Sep 21, 2020, 8:48 AM

actually, everyone is responsible for the death of Jesus. But He alone gets credit for His resurrection.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

This is why we can't evolove.....

Sep 21, 2020, 2:52 PM

we have people that still believe in magical wizard sky daddies.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2020, 8:47 AM

Both sides are full of hypocrites. I wish they would just be honest and come out and say, “I am against nomination because I’m not going to like the nominee. That’s all it is. The democrats were for nomination last election and against it this election. Vice versus for republicans.

I will say this though. The democrats removed the filibuster. Now they have to live by their own rules. If there was still a filibuster, a nomination would not go through.

It’s almost like you are giving the dems a break with being vengeful, evil, and petty when you say “as a result of”. Democrats are going to overreact like normal and do everything in their power to stop this is. AOC and Pelosi have already mentioned impeachment. If you thought kavanaugh was bad, this is going to be worse.

In a perfect world,trump should wait. But it is far from perfect and everyone knows that if the dems were in this position they would push someone through immediately. It’s not even a question.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2020, 8:52 AM

Dems didn’t control the senate. Not the same

Sep 21, 2020, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Bad timing, bad assumptions, and bad people all around. ]

If i were Trump, I'd nominate the Hispanic female from Florida.

No way the dems would bash her to hell like they did Kavanaugh. (And im one of the few on my side who believe the claims against Kavanaugh was a bunch of ########)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2020, 9:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Bad timing, bad assumptions, and bad people all around. ]

It’s almost like you are giving the dems a break with being vengeful, evil, and petty when you say “as a result of”. Democrats are going to overreact like normal and do everything in their power to stop this is. AOC and Pelosi have already mentioned impeachment. If you thought kavanaugh was bad, this is going to be worse.

No, I'm not. Being vengeful in this matter isn't excusable. But in this specific situation, this is the bed the Pubs made in 2016. If they had sucked it up and played by the rules then, this wouldn't/shouldn't be an issue now. It shouldn't ever be an issue.

But I'm gonna just guess you were okay with it in 2016, right? By all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

But I do agree with you on one area: It will be worse than Kavanaugh.

Sep 21, 2020, 9:29 AM

Completely disagree. It wouldn’t matter if pubs “played by the rules” in 2016. Dems would still throw a tantrum this go around. Much like if the dems were in this position now, they would undoubtably push somebody through.

The democrats also removed the filibuster which is really stupid. You are right that nominations should be bipartisan. Removing the filibuster makes this process partisan.

To be honest, leading up to 2016 I didn’t follow politics as closely as I do now so I’m not going to speak on that until I do some research. All I know is that both republicans and democrats are equally hypocritical as it relates to this nomination.

Sep 21, 2020, 9:57 AM

Completely disagree. It wouldn’t matter if pubs “played by the rules” in 2016. Dems would still throw a tantrum this go around. Much like if the dems were in this position now, they would undoubtably push somebody through.

You don't know that. That's the argument they're using now.

But here's the thing: If the Pubs hadn't done that in 2016, the Dems would look pretty #### foolish right now by trying to block it. Thus, the Pubs have the upper hand in the eyes of the public.

The democrats also removed the filibuster which is really stupid. You are right that nominations should be bipartisan. Removing the filibuster makes this process partisan.

Agreed. Changing rules to suit the ruling party is short-sighted and stupid. I'm going to guess the Pubs will also regret changing the voting majority rules for confirmation.

To be honest, leading up to 2016 I didn’t follow politics as closely as I do now so I’m not going to speak on that until I do some research. All I know is that both republicans and democrats are equally hypocritical as it relates to this nomination.

Yup.

Sep 21, 2020, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Bad timing, bad assumptions, and bad people all around. ]

After doing research on the 2016 situation with garland....

I think Mitch was wrong to block. It’s the sitting presidents job to appoint Supreme Court nominees if the spot is vacant and the senate’s responsibility To vote on it. Blocking the vote is wrong.

But if we are talking about precedent here, doesn’t the “biden rule” from 1992 come into play?

Sep 21, 2020, 8:50 AM

toe. line. toe the line

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The hypocrisy cuts on both sides though...

Sep 21, 2020, 9:07 AM

Anyone on the right that agreed with not taking up Obama's nominee in March of an election year and now wants Trump's nominee taken up in September of an election year is a hypocrite.

Anyone on the left who said the Senate should do their duty and take up a nomination whenever it's made in 2016, but now doesn't think they should, is the same level of hypocrite.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The hypocrisy cuts on both sides though...

Sep 21, 2020, 9:11 AM

flow0440 said:

Anyone on the right that agreed with not taking up Obama's nominee in March of an election year and now wants Trump's nominee taken up in September of an election year is a hypocrite.

Anyone on the left who said the Senate should do their duty and take up a nomination whenever it's made in 2016, but now doesn't think they should, is the same level of hypocrite.

Yep. And it’s pretty much everyone in Congress

While I agree to an extent, this is more of a

Sep 21, 2020, 9:12 AM [ in reply to The hypocrisy cuts on both sides though... ]

you said x then, do x now coming from the dems.

If McConnell wouldn't have blocked Garland's vote then, you wouldn't see so much #### throwing now.

Cause and effect.

I like your funny words magic man

I think that's being generous...

Sep 21, 2020, 9:17 AM

if a dem felt passionately about the Senate "doing their duty" in 2016, then that same sentiment should apply and not changed based on what happened that last time. Because if we take the last time mentality, the republicans can cite the treatment of Kavanaugh as a justification to "retaliate".

I agree with Cata's post below

Sep 21, 2020, 9:21 AM

this isn't the way it should be.

It should be as soon as there's a vacancy the sitting president selects and the senate confirms or denies.

But since the pubs wanted to play their little game in 2016 now you get to hear the calls of bull #### from the dems this time around.

Should a SC selection be a political football? Absolutely not. Are the dems in the right for calling for a halt to the selection? Based on what I guess is new norms, Yes.

And this is what the Dems are going to do to retaliate.

Sep 21, 2020, 9:22 AM

They're going to flood the court with more nominees once Trump is gone. Mark my words. I can't see how that's good for anyone. But that's what they're going to do.

I agree and it is a sad state of affairs we are in.

Sep 21, 2020, 9:29 AM

I would counter with this as devil's advocate:

The republican party has abandoned all shreds of political decency and has resorted to a win at all cost platform spearheaded by Trump and McConnell. Why should democrats keep jabbing when you are battling an opponent who goes after nut shots every chance they can get?

In other words, why take the high road when pubs refuse to.

Re: I agree and it is a sad state of affairs we are in.

Sep 21, 2020, 9:37 AM

I can understand that philosophy and the urge to do it, but I feel that practice only furthers sullies and harms our democracy, and turns the public more against each other.

I still believe strongly in one of Sun Tzu's greatest teachings: Maintain the high ground. Even metaphorically. And you gotta play the long game with that.

I completely agree. That's the way it should be

Sep 21, 2020, 9:39 AM

problem is, the constituency doesn't see it that way.

Right now, thanks to social media, taking the high ground doesn't get you votes.

LOL Dems and the high road? Seriously?

Sep 21, 2020, 12:57 PM [ in reply to I agree and it is a sad state of affairs we are in. ]

I haven't said a word about adding states***

Sep 21, 2020, 1:01 PM

Re: I haven't said a word about adding states***

Sep 21, 2020, 1:05 PM

In the last SCOTUS nomination, the high road was no...

Sep 21, 2020, 1:06 PM [ in reply to I agree and it is a sad state of affairs we are in. ]

where in sight to the dem party as a whole.

Re: While I agree to an extent, this is more of a

Sep 21, 2020, 9:21 AM [ in reply to While I agree to an extent, this is more of a ]

I do not agree with this at all. The dem’s would throw a tantrum either way.

Oh Dems would absolutely

Sep 21, 2020, 9:26 AM

but at least pubs would have a leg to stand on when calling them out.

That's pretty much what I meant...

Sep 21, 2020, 9:17 AM [ in reply to The hypocrisy cuts on both sides though... ]

When I said it should happen immediately. I agree, which is why the Pubs created such a #### show with the 2016 mess. Now the Dems think they are entitled to block Trump's nominee. They aren't. But the Pubs have a really baseless argument against it at this point. This is the bed they made.

That respects political thought while ignoring...

Sep 21, 2020, 1:06 PM [ in reply to The hypocrisy cuts on both sides though... ]

political action. It confuses me that even intelligent people do this. The fact is, when either party is in power it behaves as if it has the power and uses political talk to support the position. Those in power have the power, what part of this is confusing? No one was confused when Obama said 'elections have consequences.'

In 2016 republicans did what the party in power does. They are still doing that because they remained in power. Dems don't like it and talk a lot of trash because that's what the party which isn't in power does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You had me up until "the american people are smart..."

Sep 21, 2020, 9:14 AM

The best case against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

tldr, dont care***

Sep 21, 2020, 11:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I want my side to win and they’re not breaking any rules

Sep 21, 2020, 12:19 PM

Political hackery.***

Sep 21, 2020, 2:44 PM

I liked Klobachar's comments: The people elect the POTUS,

Sep 21, 2020, 12:41 PM

The POTUS nominates the Justice, and the senate confirms the Justice.

Lets check:

Did the people elect Trump: Yes
Is it his responsibility to nominate a Justice: Yes
Will the senate confirm: TBD

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

My problem isn't with Trump on this

Sep 21, 2020, 12:48 PM

he should send in his pick just like Obama did with Garland.

My problem is with the hypocracticans also known as the republican party pushing it through as fast as possible in the Senate when they refused to do that with Obama.

Trump isn't doing anything wrong by sending in his pick.

And the EQUALLY hypocritical dems in the Senate...

Sep 21, 2020, 1:09 PM

who have maintained, in the strongest way possible, that being an "election year" doesn't matter.

Re: I liked Klobachar's comments: The people elect the POTUS,

Sep 21, 2020, 2:44 PM [ in reply to I liked Klobachar's comments: The people elect the POTUS, ]

There is nothing in my post that says the opposite of that.

There's a lot to disagree with there.

Sep 21, 2020, 3:10 PM

After the senate refused to vote to confirm Garland the voters elected a president from the party which rejected the nomination so a conservative filled the vacancy on the bench. That must count for something here.

I don't expect Roe v Wade to be revisited. I do expect states to be entitled to limit abortions. I like federalism which is being rejected by the left. That's what's at stake, imo.

Voters spoke loudly and clearly in the 2014 midterms. They put republicans in charge of confirming SCOTUS nominees and republicans are still in charge of confirming nominees.

What 'dems will play dirty?' Your party it rioting in the streets, looting and burning and democrats have barely condemned those actions all which are happening in cities run by your party. Your party concocted a Russian collusion hoax, impeached a president without justification only because they had the power to do so. You've threatened to, impeach the POTUS again and even impeach Barr, stack the SCOTUS, create two more democrat states and who is claiming you're playing dirty? What the hail more could you do?

Signed

The deplorable, irredeemable, degenerates

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There's a lot to disagree with there.

Sep 21, 2020, 3:35 PM

After the senate refused to vote to confirm Garland the voters elected a president from the party which rejected the nomination so a conservative filled the vacancy on the bench. That must count for something here.

No. Sitting president nominates justice vacancies. GOP muddied those waters in 2016 and now we're in a mess.

I don't expect Roe v Wade to be revisited. I do expect states to be entitled to limit abortions. I like federalism which is being rejected by the left. That's what's at stake, imo.

Federal courts keep striking those state laws down, which some have been absolutely absurd (really, Georgia thought they could put women in jail if they went to another state to have one?).

Either way, abortion is highly unlikely to ever hit the SCOTUS again. They don't want it.

Voters spoke loudly and clearly in the 2014 midterms. They put republicans in charge of confirming SCOTUS nominees and republicans are still in charge of confirming nominees.

That doesn't change the way nominated justices is done. Sitting president does it.

What 'dems will play dirty?' Your party it rioting in the streets, looting and burning and democrats have barely condemned those actions all which are happening in cities run by your party. Your party concocted a Russian collusion hoax, impeached a president without justification only because they had the power to do so. You've threatened to, impeach the POTUS again and even impeach Barr, stack the SCOTUS, create two more democrat states and who is claiming you're playing dirty? What the hail more could you do?

My side didn't do anything. Some of us don't play team politics.

You're always taking the democrat position.

Sep 21, 2020, 3:55 PM

Somehow you think you're moderate but you trash every republican idea, person or action daily here. You're fooling no one but yourself.

You complete ignored everything I posted by insisting such novice concepts as POTUS nominates candidates for SCOUTS without recognizing that you resent Trump nominating someone. You completely ignore the fact that the party in charge of the senate has sole power to reject or confirm a nominee. That's why pubs held the senate in the 2014 and why they maintained control which allowed Trump to seat two SCOTUS justices and confirm a third.

Re: You're always taking the democrat position.

Sep 21, 2020, 4:06 PM

1. Post a list of all Democrat positions I've taken. As in, which ideologies I embrace. Be prepared to link to evidence to support your claims.

2. You are closer to supporting Dem and leftist ideology since you are a blind Trump supporter. The man was an open leftist before running for president.

3. You do not support a free market or laissez faire economics, one of the core tenants of conservativism. I do.

4. You support big government, i.e., Trumpism.

5. I have trashed Dems on the regular; they're just not the ruling party, nor have they engaged in quite the same absurdity as the GOP lately. Dems have been dumb; Pubs and Trump have been raging authoritarian imbeciles. It's sad when they make "dumb" look like the better option.

6. You failed to comprehend what I posted. I said it should always stand that the sitting president nominates the replacement. Always. Dem, Pub, Idiot Fascist Wannabe Dictator. The Pubs messed this up in favor of partisan hackery. You supported it because you like partisan hackery. Again, don't spin. Just say, "I want my side to win so I don't care about the rules." That's it. Now, we're in a partisan mess that's going to further divide our nation.

One of two things will happen: Either the Pubs will fail to confirm the person in a partisan #### show, or they'll succeed, and then the Dems will act the fool when they take power and #### it all up with flooding the court.

It's bad timing, and there isn't much else to be done due to the 2016 #### up. The Pubs either once again wait until after an election, which just further muddies the waters, or they push ahead and make it worse with their previous screw up and then let the Dems make it even worse come January.

Also, maybe wait until the person is in the ground before salivating over his/her replacement. Curb the eagerness. The behavior here Friday night was deplorable.

as far as number 5 goes,

Sep 21, 2020, 4:14 PM

I’m not saying you didn’t trash em all in your personal life, but from a general board presence, you sort of dropped off the grid post-Bush and pre-Trump.

It was sort of like a Pearl Jam concert with a Dem President in office. You don’t hear Eddie ranting and raving between songs like when Bush or Trump is pres, and you just assume it’s because he’s pretty happy with things.

With that said, I do genuinely hope you hang around and remain as active if Trump loses in Nov.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: as far as number 5 goes,

Sep 21, 2020, 4:51 PM

Yeah, I dropped off the grid for pretty much all of Tigernet starting around 2007. And it had nothing to do with politics. What does that have to do with anything? I've said repeatedly I don't think Obama was a good president and made a lot of mistakes (and got us into a lot of the problems we have right now). Also, I logged back on here, what, 2014ish? That's before we even knew Trump was on the table.

Why would I need to lie about my political support?

You know that's not my game. If I were a Dem, I'd come out and say it and tell anyone who didn't like it to swing on deez.

And I'm considering another hiatus soon. Friday night and this weekend were pretty eye opening that I'm wasting my time with a few rather despicable individuals.

C’mon now

Sep 21, 2020, 4:57 PM

I don’t have a problem with what the Republicans are doing

Sep 21, 2020, 6:27 PM

It’s true that historically when the Senate has the majority and the presidents in the same party you get to pick the judge. Just the way it is. Even in an election year. It’s also true that when the Senate has a majority and the president is not in the same party the Senate historically has almost always delayed the nomination until after the election if in an election year. Because they can. They have that power.

Lindsey Graham stuck his foot in his mouth back in 16 and he deserves to lose some political points. But in general you can’t blame the Republicans for moving forward before the election. The Democrats would do the same thing if they were in their shoes.

Re: I don’t have a problem with what the Republicans are doing

Sep 21, 2020, 6:33 PM

Re: I don’t have a problem with what the Republicans are doing

Sep 21, 2020, 6:52 PM

I don’t think Graham’s going lose the election over it. I’m not saying that. May tighten the race slightly, but nothing more. Really it’s just more embarrassing for him than anything else. I’m not sure how he can defend what he said, given it’s on tape. Granted I haven’t seen more than the soundbite. But my impression was that he said you can quote me that any time a new Justice needs to be nominated during an election year it should wait until after the election.

I'm definitely not saying you're lying, just pointing

Sep 21, 2020, 6:22 PM [ in reply to Re: as far as number 5 goes, ]

out how one could be confused. I take you at your word and have seen enough to know that you're not some yellow dog Democrat.

As for the weekend, I'm not sure what went on...I was off and on but clearly missed it. There are some people around here though of seriously high quality, and they're the majority. If you let a few encounters with despicable individuals outweigh the positive interactions in real life, you'd never leave home. Perspective, amigo.

Re: I'm definitely not saying you're lying, just pointing

Sep 22, 2020, 8:10 AM

I think what people mistake with me since Trump is that I despise him as the individual. He's an authoritarian buffoon and unfit for office. I despised him before he entered politics because I knew what he was. I would despise him if he had a D by his name.

I loathe Hillary Clinton. If she had won, I'd probably have people calling me a Pub because I'd rail against her so badly. I remember years and years ago Happycat and I catching #### here from Lounge libs because we made the argument that she killed Vince Foster (yeah, I stand by it).

But Trump won. And well, I just can't stand authoritarians. So when I launch into attacks on him, some of the folks here incapable of critical thinking automatically discern that I must be a liberal or a Dem, even though it's well established Trump isn't a conservative Republican.

He just happened to weasel his way onto that team, and the GOP deserves full criticism for not forcing him out when they had the chance.

If you let a few encounters with despicable individuals outweigh the positive interactions in real life, you'd never leave home. Perspective, amigo.

Yep, but it's one thing to deal with it in real life. It's another to willingly subject yourself to it on a message board. I remember you once said, when someone asked why we all even bother debating here, that it's like we're all kind of wannabe high school debate team kids. Dabbling in competition that we never got to try out.

I thought that was spot-on. But it's become tiresome lately, and I'm wondering if it's not really worth the time. I only personally know one person in the P&R/Loungish arena (he's more of a Lounger), so here I am getting into back-and-forths with people I likely won't meet (or know that I ever sparred with em if I do).

And maybe I'm just disgusted as to where it seems we're heading in November. RGB's death couldn't come at a worse time because it's elevated that. Perhaps I'm just finally fatigued with it all.

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic