Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know most coaches want to be a HC at some point and time in their
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

I know most coaches want to be a HC at some point and time in their

Dec 9, 2019, 4:26 PM

careers. IMO I know Jeff Scott is a really good coach but like his Dad I just don’t think he knows what he is getting into going to USF.

At Clemson he makes about a million now and with up coming raises for the coaching staff the money can’t be that much more. As Dabo said about Chad Morris. Appreciate your current situation and sometimes you are better off stay where God has planted you.

Another very important factor is that Jeff and his wife have young kids. Dabo has made working at Clemson a fun family atmosphere for all of the football staff and their families. Is it possible Jeff is giving up a lot more than he realizes to become a HC at a school in Florida. Especially TIME with his family. He will also be battling Miami, FSU, Florida as well as UCF for recruits.

I think Charlie Strong should have stay at Louisville and I believe Jeff at some point in time may wish he had stayed at Clemson. If you leave I wish you the very best coach Scott but I hope you end up staying. Thank you for all you and your Fad have contributed to the success at Clemson. I don’t believe every coach is meant to be a HC. As Dabo said about Chad Morris bloom where you have been planted ( I believe that was SMU for CM ) and Jeff Scott I believe will bloom and be more successful at CLEMSON) Just a fans opinion.

With many schools giving HC’s 2 years or less to turn a program around I would think long and hard about leaving a great job like Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would your opinion be different if he was going elsewhere?***

Dec 9, 2019, 4:28 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Would your opinion be different if he was going elsewhere?***

Dec 9, 2019, 5:06 PM

Good question and I will answer maybe. For one he would be making a lot more money at a larger program and fan support is critical too. How long will they give Jeff to start winning 10 plus games. And because he is leaving Clemson will the administration and fans expectations be higher than a coach for SC. Is the school willing to put money to turn it into a consistently winning program. IMO if the Memphis HC’s job came open, I believe that would be a better job for Coach Scott.

But let’s look at a couple of things is Jeff Scott HC material or is he better suited as an OC ata school like CLEMSON. Some coaches are better suited as coordinators than as a HC. Another factor for me would the fact is that Coach Scott has young kids. At SF Coach Scott is going to have to put in a lot more time and sacrifice his personal life. That’s means Time away from your family.

When my kids were in elementary school I turned down to better paying jobs because I would be traveling 2 to 3 weeks every other month. I wanted to be a part of my kids and my wife’s lives so I stay in the upstate area. I wanted to be a really good husband and father and be there for my family.

Jeff Scott is a great person but with this move he will have to give up more family time as the HC trying to re-establish SF.

Is the money that much more , is it worth what he may be giving up at Clemson. What about the cost of living. I can’t answer these questions but they would certainly be important in my decision to leave a great job at Clemson. Will his income be that much more verses what he will be making at USF. A lot to consider. I will be praying for the Scott family.

I will admit that the selfish part of me would like for Coach Scott to stay. Either way I wish he much success.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bad take

Dec 9, 2019, 4:39 PM

99.99% of coaches get into coaching with the dream of being a head coach. And to have paid his dues for 11 years and proven his worth that he now gets a shot to run his own program in the state where he grew up and prove he can transition from really good assistant to really good HC.

It’s still going to be a good size raise for him and he gets to prove himself and use what he’s learned at Clemson. Have to take risks in life sometimes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree to disagree with the OP.

Dec 9, 2019, 5:11 PM

There's nothing wrong with chasing your dream, and Jeff will never have a better chance than now. I don't think that USF will be his last stop, either. Who knows? He may end up back at Clemson when Dabo calls it quits.

Jeff has been around head coaches for most of his adult life, and is sure to have learned what works and doesn't work. And what better role model than Dabo?

I wish him nothing but success. Now if he starts stealing our recruits, that's a whole different story.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: I agree to disagree with the OP.

Dec 9, 2019, 5:21 PM

I hope Jeff conquers the world and is highly successful where ever he coaches. My post was not meant to indicate Coach Scott should not follow his dreams or take a chance as the as a HC.

I was just putting some thoughts out there to see what others thought about the possibility of Jeff Scott leaving CLEMSON.

I have seen some good coordinators and HC’s make bad moves. I hope this is a great move for Jeff.

Youve basically said any coach would be foolish

Dec 9, 2019, 5:36 PM

to leave Clemson in the past. That's foolish. Almost everyone wants to climb the ladder. That's human nature. It's a great situation for him. He knows the state like the back of his hand, they've won big before, including just a few years ago, and he's learned from the best.

How much better prepared is he going to be?

Re: Bad take

Dec 9, 2019, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Bad take ]

Only time will tell BornATiger13. Coach Scott has paid his dues not but as said several times in other post not every coach will end up being a HC, I hope USF will give Jeff all the tools for success. If he leaves I wish all the best for him and his family.

Re: Bad take

Dec 9, 2019, 5:30 PM [ in reply to Bad take ]

I disagree with your percentage of coaches who get into coaching with the goal to be a HC. I think the percentage is much lower. Some coaches enjoy being position coaches or coordinators. You are basically stating that almost 100% of coaches want to be a HC.

Look at the coaching profession and I believe there are many coaches content with being a coordinator or a position coach.

Your perception is biased by proximity to BV

Dec 9, 2019, 6:26 PM

Outside of Venables and Bud Foster, name some successful longtime coordinators that had opportunities to become a HC and didn’t take it at least once. And even Foster tried to get the VT and Clemson jobs the last time they were open.

Re: I know most coaches want to be a HC at some point and time in their

Dec 9, 2019, 5:11 PM

The one plus that Jeff can count on is future financial
stability. If he coaches there for 4 or 5 years he will
walk away with a bunch of cash. I do believe that he will
have success at South Fla.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 5:22 PM

Since he would be a front runner of just about any job in the country the only reason I can think he would want to go there would be to get some HC experience before possibly coming back to Clemson someday. He's not going to make much more but he should win a bunch of games and make even more of a name for himself should a really high profile program come available, which would offer considerably more money.

Dec 9, 2019, 6:11 PM

Jeff will probably make at 2.5 to 3 million for a 5-year
contract with a buyout of maybe 5+ million Salary will
increase every year. How is that not a lot more than he
makes now? you would make a terrible accoutant.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 5:23 PM

Only cowards are afraid to ever step out and take a chance. Thank goodness Jeff is not like you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2019, 6:16 PM

That sounded adversarial .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 9, 2019, 7:05 PM

It’s rare to see a poast filled with nothing but conjecture and hyperbole but you managed it and congratulations are in order. Why can’t you just be happy for the man and let him decide if spending more time away from his family is worth it or not? You cite your situation and that’s you, claps all around for you but I hardly believe you were offered millions to do so or your wife would have left you in that moment for being stupid!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic