Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BEAT OHIO STATE!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

BEAT OHIO STATE!

Dec 16, 2019, 10:41 AM

I checked out some of the Ohio State football message boards this morning and WOW. Not expecting their fan base to feel they'll lose, but it was total lack of respect as an opponent & reigning national champ. I'd say upwards of 95% of the post give us absolutely zero chance at ALL. They hate Trevor and Dabo. Day is the second coming of Bear Bryant. Typical Ohio State arrogance at its finest. Irrelevant I know, just fun to read and a little extra fuel for the ROY Bus...

So here's my prediction. It's going to be a dogfight! I think this has shootout written all over it, with the better defense stepping up and winning this one. The match up includes two of the most complete teams in the nation. Ridiculous talent on both teams. I think our coaching staff gets the nod, as we're a little more experienced in CFP prep as of late.

I expect our DL to play lights out, after being dogged by the media. Everyone agrees we lost an all NFL caliber DL from last year, however we still have some studs along this DL. I'm hoping they come ready to make a statement and get to Fields early and often. We match up EXTREMELY well against the pass attack and I'd take Brent with 3 weeks to prep over any D-Cord in the nation. I love our secondary versus their deep ball threat. BRING IT ON! I think they'll look to test Muse early and often, to be expected. As long as we can keep the run game/Dobbins in check, I think we'll be okay. Still not sure how healthy Fields is, with his MCL recovery. I personally hope he's 100 percent for our game.

I don't think Buckeye nation understands just how good our OL is this year. We've always had an average or slightly above average OL, but we have the horses in place this year. By far the most talented and tenured Clemson OL I've seen in decades. The media is hyping up Chase, like he'll be in our backfield all night. We already know he's a force to be reckoned with and I hope we can keep him contained. On the flip side I think most are underestimating our OL and Carman on Chase... That match up is going to be fun to watch. We'll need to double up here and there, but I think we have the talent and ability to keep Chase contained, more so than any team in BIG 10.

As far as Clemson's offense... Good god where do we even start??? I don't know if there's a defense in the land that can slow Clemson down (aside from UNC on our worst day) :). Not much to say here, just hope Dabo and Co have our guys clicking on all cylinders. Trevor, ETN, Higgins and Ross will all have something to prove in this one, as will the rest of our team.

The 28th cannot get here fast enough!

Clemson 38 Ohio State 31

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BEAT OHIO STATE!

Dec 16, 2019, 10:45 AM

Your are seeing either fear or stupidity. (on the OSU boards)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some may even be afraid of how

Dec 16, 2019, 4:49 PM

stupid they really are...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Dec 16, 2019, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

Why not both.

Dec 16, 2019, 10:46 AM

They are a very uniformed fan base. They only follow themselves.You would think after recent meetings they would catch on but you would be wrong. They dont get it. They never get it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2019, 10:46 AM

They are hanging their hats on the North Carolina game and the fact that "we haven't played anyone" analysis. Evidently that translates to a victory for them.

Clemson rolls.

Dec 16, 2019, 10:47 AM

Nutnecklaces fold.

Early prediction:
Clemson 42
Ohio St. 13

Dec 16, 2019, 10:50 AM

Excellent post and I agree with you on everything. I would add, that I see one chance for things to a bit more decisive than you predict.

OSU has a habit of starting slow and reacting to what they see early. I think there is a chance that we get off to a quick start, especially if they (arrogantly) stay true to their tendencies. If we get up by say 17 or more that could change the complexion of the game.

I agree that BV will help us keep them from running wild with Dobbins and Fields, but what if the score pushes them away from their strength (the run) ? Then we might handle them more comfortably.

I am not predicting blowout - they will not give up, but if we take away their strength and make them one-dimensional . . .

Dec 16, 2019, 11:03 AM

First of all, it’s just a fan forum that has nothing to do with what the team is thinking. It would be silly for either team or fan base to overlook this game, or assume anything as a given.

Secondly, so it sounds like their forum is confident and doesn’t like out coach or players? Hmm, sounds exactly like our forum. Nothing but disrespect for the opponent. Don’t get so triggered.

Dec 16, 2019, 11:13 AM

That DE that got invited to NY was talking about when they play LSU or OK for the Championship.

So apparently the players ARE like their fans.

The Tiger OL

Dec 16, 2019, 11:56 AM

Will have to play GREAT for the Tigers to win in the fashion that we would like. If Trevor is running out of the pocket on every pass, we will be in trouble.

Re: The Tiger OL

Dec 16, 2019, 9:38 PM

Actually I think Trevor running for over 70 yards will be the death of them

Dec 16, 2019, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

They are in for a rude awakening.

Dec 16, 2019, 3:17 PM

In regards to the OP, I agree with you on several points. I don't know who will win this game but I know it wont be the blowout many of you seem you seem to think that it will. Even though we have run over all the opponents we have faces as has your team, this game will come down to turnovers and defensive stops. I don't think our coaches want to get into a shootout with your stellar offense. I think we will use or strength and run the ball at will keeping your explosive O on the sideline limiting your touches. If we can use ball control and beat up your D with long drives we will win the game.I know you haven't faced a dynamic run game that we will present. In my mind this is the matchup to watch. If you stop us you win. If we can run ......We win. Thoughts?????

Dec 16, 2019, 4:45 PM

You are probably right. We haven’t played a single team all year who can run the ball. With our weak schedule it’s a miracle that we get the chance to beat the Fighting buckeye ... again. Our offense will not be on the field very much in this game! Think about that!

Dec 17, 2019, 8:01 PM

Never in my post did I say that you haven't played a running team ala BC. My point is that you haven't seen the likes of the duo you will face in AZ. We simply wont rely on just handing the ball to JK to beat you. You will have to account for Fields as well. Idont think BC has the quarterback that we do. Our run game is a whole nother animal and I cant wait to see how your defense will adjust to that. If venables decides to spy our quarterback that just takes one more defender out of coverage on the back end.

Dec 17, 2019, 11:03 PM

You do know Venables had to scheme against Lamar Jackson 2 straight years, right? You really want to think he can't set up a good game plan to shut Fields and the running game down? You sure about that?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937461

Dec 16, 2019, 5:04 PM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

Wait....did you just reply to this, proving everyone's point that OH St fans seem VERY uniformed?? Clemson hasn't faced a good run offense? Did I read that right?

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23

Is that not BC sitting directly below Oh St? A team Clemson held to under 100 yards rushing?? A team with AJ Dillion, the guy that sits in rushing yds/game right behind Dobbins?
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/7

But Clemson hasn't faced a stellar rushing team? OK, if you say so....

Dec 16, 2019, 5:57 PM

A little tongue in cheek humor. Sorry you missed it!

Dec 16, 2019, 6:13 PM

I got yours.. His wasn't though. I think he seriously thinks Clemson played no teams with a running attack.

Dec 16, 2019, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

I think that is exactly what BV is thinking. Nobody runs the ball at will on us.

Also, I am not sure how many possessions we will need to outscore y'all especially if you over commit to the run.

Finally, our D is pretty deep. I understand that you think your big boys will grind us down, but I think you are overconfident in that regard. If you get behind a couple of scores, can you afford to stay with the run game ?

Dec 16, 2019, 5:24 PM

I think its absolutely hilarious that you talk about a fan bases lack of respect ironically in this forum lmao. Good lord. Talk about throwing stones in a glass house

Dec 16, 2019, 6:14 PM

Remind me how many times Clemson has lost to OH St. I think Clemson's would be more warranted than 0-3 OH St.

Dec 16, 2019, 9:02 PM

I mean no doubt you guys have been the better team to come out on top on those 3 meetings. Il give you 2016. By far the better team was Clemson. The other two were games decided by less than a TD based on last second mistakes. Coin flip games. However given the overall history of both programs and how consistent OSU has been not only in the last 5 years but the last 100, id argue if both programs were in the same conference that OSU would have a solid lead in the overall series. But we will never know.

Dec 16, 2019, 9:49 PM

Just speaking for me, no matter how much heat you get on T-net, I am glad you are here. It's fun having a little back and forth. And it is helping me pass the time until the 28th. I hope you guys have a good game.

Dec 17, 2019, 8:08 PM

If I couldn't handle the heat I wouldn't be here. Your overly excitable fans that want to keep spouting your undefeated record against us makes me laugh. I could care less. New year, different teams. This is going to be a great matchup with lots of talent all over the field. I plan to come back here on the 29th to see what this board is up to win or lose.

Dec 16, 2019, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

How consistent they've been in the last 3 years? Not sure where you are getting that... Maybe we should ask Iowa and Purdue about their consistently prior to only this year? Can't say a single Clemson loss in the last 4 years was as big of margins as those games were to 2 unranked teams. That's consistency? Sounds like you haven't paid attention in the last 5 years. Sure, do they look better this year, yes... Doesn't mean Clemson isn't too.

Dec 17, 2019, 12:23 AM

How consistent they've been in the last 3 years? Not sure where you are getting that... Maybe we should ask Iowa and Purdue about their consistently prior to only this year? Can't say a single Clemson loss in the last 4 years was as big of margins as those games were to 2 unranked teams. That's consistency? Sounds like you haven't paid attention in the last 5 years. Sure, do they look better this year, yes... Doesn't mean Clemson isn't too.

Well thankfully football didnt start 3 years ago. My post didnt say 3 years it said 3 meetings. Ohio State is 46-15 & 39-15 all time vs Iowa & Purdue respectively. Teams win games here and then. Im not trying to #### you off or insult Clemson. Clemson is on a historic run right now. Arguably the programs best all-time run. What Im trying to tell you is, if Clemson & OSU were in the same conference, meaning they would play almost every year going way back lets say 100 years to today, that all time record between the two teams would look hella different. Statistically speaking, lets take a look the seasons. Here is the average number of wins per team per decade.

2010s
Clem: 11.6
OSU: 11.7

2000s
Clem: 7.9
OSU: 10.2

90s
Clem: 5.5
OSU: 9.1

80s
Clem: 8.7
OSU: 8.2

70s
Clem: 5.6
OSU: 9.1

60s
Clem: 5.0
OSU: 6.8

Now bare with me here, im not trying to make the Clemson fanbase angry, Im trying to just make a reasonable point.

I wont go below the 60s even though OSU won 3 titles prior to 1960s, the seasons had way less games played than in modern time. During this time, OSU has amassed a 924-325-53 record vs Clemson's 757-459-45. Not only 167 more wins but 134 fewer losses. During this time, OSU has 5 more national titles, 13 more conference titles, attended 5 more bowl games, 57 more all-americans, 7 more heismans, 199 more NFL draft picks, 48 more first-round draft picks, has been top 25 467 more times and has been ranked #1 89 more times than Clemson. One could argue, that OSU has had the better overall program.

Now what does this realistically tell you? Nothing. These two teams only played 3 times in a history of 125 years were arguably and taking into account the scores by less then a touchdown Clemson had the best team all 3 times. We can only make assumptions. The assumption here is that Ohio State has had a more consistent football program historically than Clemson and maybe.. now bare with me here, maybe... if they had played every year being in the same conference, OSU would have a winning record vs Clemson. But they dont. Simple. Cant argue vs the series.

Dec 17, 2019, 1:54 AM

Having the "better historical program" doesn't really mean a thing. In the end, facts are, OH St is 0-5 vs programs that are in the state of South Carolina. Facts are, Clemson has a lopsided winning record vs the entire Big 10, even if you take away Maryland which the records were all produced while they were in the ACC. With that, one could also "assume" that the record might not be as lopsided as you would like to suggest and Clemson could have been the team that could have taken that historic program and produced some losses for it that they didn't have in some of those historic years.

However, since we can't deal in "assumptions" and all there is are the real meetings, again, Clemson has much more of a right with a 3-0 record to be the team that fans could have more the reasoning to doubt the other team, as stated.... Fact reasoning being they actually have won all of the meetings. OH St in the other hand only gets to use assumptions, historical data produced against teams not named Clemson, and hopes and dreams of getting even that may not even happen. There is a real chance that OH St could end in 2 weeks 0-4 vs Clemson all time... Regardless how many Heisman finalists they had on their team.

Dec 17, 2019, 2:07 AM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

All this coming down to basically say, Clemson is the team that has earned the respect in the real face offs... Being the winner of them all. There is more of a reason OH St fans shouldn't lack respect of a program their team had never beaten, vs the other way around. Clemson fans respect your history, they also know though that none of it was actually produced going through our team to have a reason to fear playing them nowadays. What's being fielded is not those historic Clemson teams...is not the Clemson team that was an A&M private military school team until 1955...is not even the 2016 team that played 3-4 close games and had a legendary QB that threw even more interceptions than Trevor did going into the matchup.

Yes, OH St is improved from that year... But it'd be asinine to assume Clemson hasn't too when every stat practically shows they have beyond trying to make assumptions based on a conference they have no control over. The conference may be down, but Clemson isn't.

Dec 17, 2019, 8:34 PM

I cant wait for this game. Clemson is currently the king of the mountain. To be the best you have to beat the best. I just think that it is funny how a lot of the posters on these boards get so cocky and throw around your record vs Ohio State. This is a new year and as far as I am concerned you can throw out the past. It don't mean ####....All I know is that two talented teams will battle for a spot in the final. You all can keep pumping yourselves up that your team cant be touched. When the fall comes, and it will. I hope it is my team that you are looking up at. Your team is on a n unsustainable winning streak which will sooner or later come to an end. No sour grapes here. Just facts. No one gave us a chance against the mighty hurricanes in 2002. No one gave us a chance against the mighty bama in 2014. Keep pumping yourselves up, I relish the underdog role. It will make it that much sweeter if we do beat you :)

Dec 17, 2019, 11:28 PM

Underdog role? Lol. Think you are a bit confused. You aren't the underdog. Go look around at the picks... Go look around at your fans on 11 warriors (which are acting no different than what you are complaining about happening here... Welcome to fans that are confident in their coaches, team, and process...oh, I'm sorry, we are meeting the historic OH St, we shouldn't feel that way. ??)... Go listen to our players interviews today. Hate to break it to you, but we got the underdog card back.

Dec 18, 2019, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

And trust me, I think it could be a game that is a battle... But if your are on here just to gloat because you think "this is your year" and think we aren't supposed to be confident that even closer game, we can pull out the win, you should probably go back to your own boards. You'll get more of what you are looking for there.

Dec 16, 2019, 9:53 PM [ in reply to Re: BEAT OHIO STATE! ]

I think there are fans on both sides who throw the respect word around a bit too much, but here we don't hide what you say just because we don't like it.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic