Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Swinney moves Justyn Ross to the slot, says Tigers are "back in business"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

TNET: Swinney moves Justyn Ross to the slot, says Tigers are "back in business"

Mar 2, 2021, 2:42 PM

Swinney moves Justyn Ross to the slot, says Tigers are "back in business"

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney told the media Monday evening that Ross, one of the nation’s most dangerous receivers, has been practicing at the slot or “5-man” receiver position in the Tigers’ offense. That’s the same spot that allowed Amari Rodgers to put together a career-year in 2020 and saw Hunter Renfrow fashion a 186-catch career that is fifth in Clemson history. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Swinney moves Justyn Ross to the slot, says Tigers are "back in business"

Mar 2, 2021, 2:58 PM

:)

Awesome news!!

Mar 2, 2021, 3:01 PM

Wishing him continued healing and good health!!

Go Tigers!!

Re: TNET: Swinney moves Justyn Ross to the slot, says Tigers are "back in business"

Mar 2, 2021, 3:06 PM

Big fan of this move. Allows Clemson to dictate some truly scary matchups.

Reminds me strongly of what LSU was able to do with Justin Jefferson. Normally a guy with Ross's size doesn't have the feet or the cuts to run those kind of routes but Ross has shown in the past he can, and Tyler Grisham definitely proved last year with Amari Rodgers he can polish a WR's route-running to absurdity. Rodgers' route-running was a noticeable liability in 2019; this year at the Senior Bowl they couldn't stop bragging on him. "Textbook" is putting it mildly and it looks like Amari may well have pushed himself to the high second round even after an ACL repair. We're used to that in Clemson, but sorry, that's still a really big deal. Multi-million dollar deals and whatnot.

Ross's ceiling is probably higher even than that. Be interesting to see where that might wind up.

Crump posted an interesting link awhile back on Amari's massive route-running progress, which is about as big a contrast from 2019 as you'll see...if Ross makes similar strides, look out:

https://www.tigernet.com/update/WATCH-Amari-Rodgers-route-running-breakdown-at-Senior-Bowl-37346

So your assertation is that Jeff Scott was undercoaching the

Mar 2, 2021, 5:45 PM

WR's and NOW we have THAT problem fixed?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So your assertation is that Jeff Scott was undercoaching the

Mar 2, 2021, 6:07 PM

Hardly. How many 1st-round guys did Jeff Scott have?

It just didn't look like Amari was used to the slot in 2019 was all, and his route-running definitely wasn't a huge strength of his prior to 2020, though you wonder how much of that was also how much he didn't trust that rebuilt knee of his. Still looked like he was sort of wandering around lost in space, especially in the slot. After Grisham - who was an NFL slot receiver who had incidentally played the same position at Clemson - got ahold of him, though, route-running assuredly was a massive plus for Rodgers. Big feather in his cap for Grisham, and a big early test he passed bigly. Definitely turned Rodgers' career around, huge.

Cornell Powell's game took off too, though. So Grisham's early returns succeeding Scott are actually really good, all things considered...very much the opposite argument some folks are making about, say, what's going on with the end spot after Marion Hobby left and Lamanski Hall took over. (I agree the jury's still out there, but still, we seriously have to get more pressure out of a 4-man rush this year, for sure, especially given how much 4-and-5-star talent we have at the position, no?)

Amari Rodger was a different person in 2020.

Mar 2, 2021, 7:09 PM

Give much of that credit to being a 18 months past the torn ACL vs 6 months past it in 2019.

Not discrediting Tyler Grishman at all. Just stating an obvious omission.

His knee was still healing and the strength and balance was noticeably better after another year of rehab, strength and condition.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least you can acknowledge that his repaired knee MIGHT

Mar 2, 2021, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Re: So your assertation is that Jeff Scott was undercoaching the ]

have played a part in his route running in 2019

Re: So your assertation is that Jeff Scott was undercoaching the

Mar 4, 2021, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: So your assertation is that Jeff Scott was undercoaching the ]

Good stuff Q ... Grisham, Rodgers and Powell had a good year in terms of growth ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2021, 3:39 PM
tenor-30.gif(73.6 K)

This is going to be good!

This move makes so much sense, I am amazed that neither I

Mar 2, 2021, 4:54 PM

nor any of the other great TNet coaches on here came up with it. Ross will flat out dominate in the slot with his acrobatic skills! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s not a smart move...

Mar 2, 2021, 4:59 PM

Ross is 6’4” with vertical speed and built for the boundary or field WR position. You need someone who is laterally quick and twitchy to play slot. There is no way you would put a guy like Rossat slot unless you’re just desperate and lack available talent for that position.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That’s not a smart move...

Mar 2, 2021, 5:27 PM

Having only coached via NCAA video games, I always put my star receiver in the slot and either he or the QB usually won the Heisman. I get it does seem a little counterintuitive, but since Dabo makes my annual salary about every hour, I say we are good to go.

Mar 2, 2021, 6:30 PM [ in reply to That’s not a smart move... ]

Obviously you didn't even read the article

Mar 2, 2021, 6:30 PM [ in reply to That’s not a smart move... ]

Obviously you didn't even read the article

Mar 2, 2021, 6:33 PM [ in reply to That’s not a smart move... ]

Ross is 6’4” with vertical speed and built for the boundary or field WR position. You need someone who is laterally quick and twitchy to play slot. There is no way you would put a guy like Rossat slot unless you’re just desperate and lack available talent for that position.

Are you kidding? Will Swinney was listed at #2 on the depth chart behind Rogers at the end of last year. Would you prefer to go with Will in the Slot backed up by maybe Spector? The thought makes me nauseous. This is a breakthrough moment. We are getting our best players on the field. Next is moving Levonta Bentley to Mike where he will play his way past JV and JS given a little time. Before you know it we might even get Shipley in the mix and definitely have Phil Mafah pounding the ball between the tackles on short yardage. It's been 25 years since we had a big physical back that could create a hole and get that tough short yardage between the tackles. I'm thinking big here, but its a step in the right direction.

Tim Bourett would have to back this up, but I seem to

Mar 2, 2021, 6:41 PM

remember an incredible stat from a big fullback / running back from the Pell / Early Danny Ford era named Marvin Sims. He NEVER had a carry for a loss for his Clemson career. He was just a bruiser, not fast, and not shifty, just scrong as all getout.

Re: Tim Bourett would have to back this up, but I seem to

Mar 2, 2021, 8:12 PM

young mr. simms played during the '77,'78,and '79 seasons.i remember his name,but not much else about him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

He can still do those things too.

Mar 2, 2021, 6:48 PM [ in reply to That’s not a smart move... ]

There’s no rule keeping us from lining our receivers up wherever we want them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He can still do those things too.

Mar 2, 2021, 8:18 PM

i'm glad that it's the coaches on the field who make the decisions,rather than the coaches that post here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 3, 2021, 9:00 AM [ in reply to That’s not a smart move... ]

While I do admit to initially thinking the same thing until I read the article, thinking some guy sitting in the stands knows more about the talent on the field than a proven coach like Dabo and his WR coach is beyond ludicrous. Obviously, Dabo was a WR coach before he took over as the main man and obviously, Clemson has had as much talent at WR in the last 20 years as any school in the country.
If Dabo doesn't know more than Joe Schmo about WRs then Clemson may not ever win another game. Playing Playstation football is just a little different than the real deal, don't ya think?

I hope to see some of the same success that we saw at the

Mar 2, 2021, 7:43 PM

end of 2018 against ND and Bama with Higgins and Ross on the same side. They DESTROYED the secondary!

Mar 2, 2021, 8:41 PM

Having Ross, Ngata/Ladson, and EJ Williams on the field at the same time will be downright nasty for opposing defenses.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 3, 2021, 2:12 PM

I am not holding my breath on that...Ladson and Ngata can't look at a football without getting hurt and missing time...I don't think it will be long before Ross is slotted back into the boundary where I think he is most lethal...Comparing him to Hunter or Amari is almost laughable...Completely different skill set in WRs...Ross' speed is no where close to that of those two as well as the route running ability...I can understand utilizing Ross like Devonte Smith was used last season with Bama...Line him up in the slot on a LB or safety to create a good mismatch...but to exclusively have him operate out of the slot won't last long at all...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Mar 3, 2021, 6:45 PM

jsebe10® said:

I am not holding my breath on that...Ladson and Ngata can't look at a football without getting hurt and missing time...I don't think it will be long before Ross is slotted back into the boundary where I think he is most lethal...Comparing him to Hunter or Amari is almost laughable...Completely different skill set in WRs...Ross' speed is no where close to that of those two as well as the route running ability...I can understand utilizing Ross like Devonte Smith was used last season with Bama...Line him up in the slot on a LB or safety to create a good mismatch...but to exclusively have him operate out of the slot won't last long at all...

OK, that's a fair statement based on past history regarding the injuries. Assuming a boundary WR went down then give us your 3 deep at the slot - include any freshman or even a DB if you wish.

Mar 3, 2021, 10:40 PM

Spector would be my first go to...hope Stellato looks good coming out of camp...or sell high on the coach’s kid...

It’s no secret we took a hit here at this position...losing Powell who can operate the 5 man and Amari stings...We are going to see how much Amari meant to our program really quick...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

so we gonna feast on the middle of the field now?

Mar 4, 2021, 12:32 PM

great news

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic