Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do these last few games change your perception
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 76
| visibility 1

Do these last few games change your perception

Jan 16, 2020, 1:56 PM

of our coaching staff?

If so, why?

If not, why?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Do these last few games change your perception

Jan 16, 2020, 2:08 PM

A little long

I would say no. I think the coaches took what OSU gave them in that game and made the right calls. The running game wasn't exactly clicking and we couldn't really get anything going on the outside. So we get Etienne going in the passing game and we find the weakness. On defense they realized that putting Simmons down in the box was hurting us some so they went back to that crazy 3-1-7 look they first showed against A&M. I think the opposite happened against LSU. Seemed like there was no real adjustment after the half. We saw on offense that they doubled down on the pass when Etienne clearly was making some headway on the ground. I don't want to think that they wanted to make Lawrence the hero, but I find it way too strange that RBs coach doesn't call anymore plays for his RB to get the ball. As far as defense goes, it was more of they just couldn't hold on anymore after all the 3 and outs. This coaching staff is very good and they clearly know how to win. Monday just wasn't a good night to not be on their A game and LSU was definitely the wrong team to be off against. I saw some people talking about they got a bad feeling because Dabo didn't sound to confident in the pregame interview. The thing is that's always been him before a game. He's never going to come off too cocky. He knows how good those players are better than any of us, but he also knows you have to show it when it counts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 2:10 PM

Judge aint gonna like this............Basketball Sir Basketball Coaches. We play other sports at Clemson just not terribly well.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:11 PM

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to which board I was in.

Jan 16, 2020, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Do these last few games change your perception ]

Uh. Basketball post on basketball bored is about basketball. HTH

Jan 17, 2020, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Do these last few games change your perception ]

Excellent post. Thumbs up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2020, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Do these last few games change your perception ]

Top of the page ^^^^^ "Basketball" board. Not football.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As far as coaching goes

Jan 19, 2020, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Do these last few games change your perception ]

Something worthy of mention is the relative lack of competition in the ACC, and just how that takes a toll on Clemson’s ability to “suit up” for games against actual teams come playoff time? Last year was a good showing against Bama, but may have been a fluke if Monday tells us anything. Very interesting to see how the coaching staff addresses this in the future.

Re: As far as coaching goes

Jan 20, 2020, 5:36 AM

Hey dumas if your going to troll our boards at least get the sport right, this is a basketball post...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 2:09 PM

For me, not really. I’ve always liked Brownell and have blamed the early issues mostly on all the injuries. Now that some of the guys are getting more experience and some coming back from injury they’re looking sharper. I don’t think the haters even know how many injured players we’ve had.

Hopefully they can build on their recent success and have a good season. I hated missing the Duke game but didn’t get back from NOLA early enough.

yes. If you win at UNC and Vs Duke back to back

Jan 16, 2020, 2:12 PM

You’ve won favor back. It could change again though if we go like 2-5 in our next 7 or something.

No, it has been the M.O. under Brownell that we

Jan 16, 2020, 2:16 PM

lose some awful games OOC, then lose games in conference until we win a couple games that really surprise us and get our hopes up. We all start talking about what it takes to get into the tournament and then we hit another skid where we lose some more bad games and we don't make it.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the back-to-back historic wins at UNC and home against Duke. I hope that effort and success continues the rest of the season. If it does, it will be one of the greatest turnarounds I have seen and an unbelievable coaching job by CBB and his staff. But as of right now, we have some really bad losses, one great win against Duke, and a historic win for Clemson at UNC, but it's not an impressive win as far as tournament resume is concerned.

That being said, with the way the team was performing in Nov/Dec, I looked at how difficult our schedule was in January and prepared for the worst. But we have seen the best. I hope it keeps going.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: No, it has been the M.O. under Brownell that we

Jan 16, 2020, 2:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Jan 16, 2020, 2:57 PM [ in reply to No, it has been the M.O. under Brownell that we ]

User Logo
GWPTiger®
Ring of Honor [92368]
TigerPulse: 100%
No, it has been the M.O. under Brownell that we [5]
Posted: Jan 16, 2020 2:16 PM

lose some awful games OOC, then lose games in conference until we win a couple games that really surprise us and get our hopes up. We all start talking about what it takes to get into the tournament and then we hit another skid where we lose some more bad games and we don't make it.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the back-to-back historic wins at UNC and home against Duke. I hope that effort and success continues the rest of the season. If it does, it will be one of the greatest turnarounds I have seen and an unbelievable coaching job by CBB and his staff. But as of right now, we have some really bad losses, one great win against Duke, and a historic win for Clemson at UNC, but it's not an impressive win as far as tournament resume is concerned.

That being said, with the way the team was performing in Nov/Dec, I looked at how difficult our schedule was in January and prepared for the worst. But we have seen the best. I hope it keeps going.

OH WISE ONE TELL US ABOUT THOSE REALLY BAD LOSSES.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 16, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to No, it has been the M.O. under Brownell that we ]

11/05 Virginia Tech 67-60 L ESPNU
11/07 Presbyterian 79-45 W ACCN
11/10 Colgate 81-68 W ACCNX
11/17 Detroit Mercy 87-65 W ACCNX
11/21 Alabama A&M 87-51 W ACCNX
11/24 @TCU 62-60 W ESPN2
11/26 @Colorado 71-67 L ESPN2
12/02 @Minnesota 78-60 L
12/08 @Florida State 72-53 L ACCN
12/15 South Carolina 67-54 L ESPN2
12/20 Jacksonville 68-39 W ACCN
12/22 Yale 54-45 L ACCN
12/31 Miami 73-68 L ACCN
01/04 NC State 81-70 W ACCN
01/11 @North Carolina 79-76 W RSN
01/14 Duke 79-72 W ESPN/2/ACCN

WE COULD HAVE WON SEVERAL OF THESE GAMES FOR SURE BUT TELL US WHICH ARE THE REALLY BAD ONES.

Sure, after last night's games

Jan 16, 2020, 3:14 PM

Minnesota has a net ranking of 40, which isn't terrible but not good
Yale is 58
and South Carolina is 109

Do you consider those to be good losses?

In conference Miami is 91, do you consider that a good loss?

Compared to our wins, Duke is 4 (obviously a great, great win)
Our next best win is NCSU at 45, TCU at 62, then UNC at 119

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Sure, after last night's games

Jan 17, 2020, 10:50 AM

Miami and South Carolina (both at home) are not good losses, and I don't think either of those teams will do enough in January or February to be able to argue them to be good losses.

Yale is a tournament team. They'll hover in the 40-60 range all year before blistering through the Ivy League and being their rep in March. I don't consider that a bad loss, even though it was at home. Though I don't consider it a particularly good loss either. It's a neutral, more forgivable one.

Minnesota on the road is not and will never be a bad loss. Their NET ranking will remain high. That's either a quad 1 or quad 2 loss at all points of the year.

I agree completely and I'm not sure why

Jan 17, 2020, 10:58 AM

deroberts disagrees with UofSuCk and Miami being really bad losses. Judge Keller® on the other hand believes that Yale is our worst loss of the year which to me is absurd.

You seem to enjoy arguing with people.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:22 AM

Are you a lawyer?

I think Yale is a good team. I don't personally consider it a bad loss in terms of metrics. They will probably be in the NCAA Tournament this year. However, based on the players we typically recruit compared with the ones they typically recruit, as well as recruiting rankings over the past few years, I feel that it is a game we should've won.

In contrast, I don't have any shame in losing to SC or Miami because we are not clearly more talented on paper than they are. I was disappointed in our performance in the SC game, but do not consider it a bad loss. That same team just beat Kentucky this week. Miami's loss was disappointing because I felt that we played well but made a few bad plays at the end. However, I didn't consider that a bad loss either.

You are welcome to post NET/RPI/KenPom/whatever ranking if that makes you feel accomplished and smart. Unfortunately, those metrics don't matter much right now. I'm happy to discuss them in March when our resume can be viewed over the context of an entire season.

Also, I don't consider any of our losses this year as "really bad." A really bad loss would be a quad 4 loss, of which we have none. We have two quad 3 losses, which isn't good but isn't bad. For reference, Virginia already has 3 quad 3 losses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You seem to enjoy arguing with people.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:42 PM

Yale is a good team. THAT is the problem.

We were out hustled, out coached, and out talented ... by YALE. It was as bad of a game as I have seen from us in quite a while.

Honestly, I was ready to move on after that game. Sure, Santa at mid-court saved the experience for the kids but I was really disappointed in our play.

However, something has since *clicked* on some level with our guys and considering our youth, I am happy holding *Judge-ment* at this time. BB bought enough time, and maybe the ACC being a wreck this year might save his seat. I don't know if it will last the season but I see Brad's path forward. That was not the case after Yale. However, over-performing with a young team is one thing, but now he has to perform with a mature team too.

what the heck is a good loss

Jan 17, 2020, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Sure, after last night's games ]

Any loss is bad to me.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:55 AM [ in reply to Re: No, it has been the M.O. under Brownell that we ]

We were on a 1-6 skid prior to our 3 game win streak. Even with a win over Duke we’re not even close to the NCAA bubble. The ACC is absolutely terrible this year. Only 5 teams are inside the NET top 50. .500 ball from here out isn’t gonna get us in.

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

The ACC isn't terrible this year.

Jan 17, 2020, 12:26 PM

Please try again.

Re: The ACC isn't terrible this year.

Jan 17, 2020, 1:53 PM

The ACC is 5th in NET rankings and 6th by RPI. Since the teams are pretty much only gonna play in-conference from here on out that isn’t gonna change much. No need to wait and talk about it. I guess you get to try again.

142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

viztiz bringing facts, Karen isn't going to like this....***

Jan 17, 2020, 1:58 PM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: viztiz bringing facts, Karen isn't going to like this....***

Jan 17, 2020, 2:24 PM

It’s actually pretty incredible he’d even argue the point. Who would have imagined a time when the ACC would be the worst Power 5 basketball conference? But that is pretty much where we are.

Jan 18, 2020, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Re: No, it has been the M.O. under Brownell that we ]

There is no such thing as a “good loss” ......all losses are BAD......see what I did there for my ANGRY ALL THE FRIGGING TIME little buddy......Go Tigers!!!!!

No. The lifeblood of any program is recruiting. Brownell

Jan 16, 2020, 2:19 PM

has not CONSISTENTLY shown that he can elevate recruiting. Without that, meaningful success is not sustainable.

Re: No. The lifeblood of any program is recruiting. Brownell

Jan 16, 2020, 2:59 PM

Newman, Tyson, Jemmison last year. Not bad. Dawes, Hemminway, and Hunter this year. Solid players. Hall and Prosper coming in who are both pretty highly regarded. So either you dont care to pay attention to hoops or you dont know what youre talking about. We're not going to get the guys who go to UNC or Duke but it is definitely trending upward.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a lot easier for people to continue to push the same

Jan 17, 2020, 10:33 AM

talking points, such as "Brownell can't recruit" than it is to actually look at the rankings.

It's obvious that our recruiting has improved since Brownell went from awful facilities to average-above average facilities (compared to other ACC programs), and since he got the budget approval for assistant coaches/support staff he has been requesting for years.

I'd love for the person who downvoted my post to respond.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:24 AM

I'm sure he/she won't though.

Re: I'd love for the person who downvoted my post to respond.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:02 PM

Shocked...

Re: I'd love for the person who downvoted my post to respond.

Jan 17, 2020, 8:02 PM [ in reply to I'd love for the person who downvoted my post to respond. ]

Shocked...

I've always thought that Brownell recruited decent

Jan 17, 2020, 2:58 PM [ in reply to It's a lot easier for people to continue to push the same ]

enough talent, including transfers, and that he had shown a pretty steady yet tepid progression both before and after the upgrades. That's why I've always felt worse for the players over the Brownell tenure as the team performance seldom panned out according to the talent on hand, as we get to witness in stops and starts of success each season like we have for the past 10 years.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the history of Clemson hoops...

Jan 17, 2020, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: No. The lifeblood of any program is recruiting. Brownell ]

NO coach has proven to be a stellar...aka: ACC championship-caliber recruiter...and stuck around. Now, I don't mind criticizing a coach, but at least use a metric that is relevant to Clemson basketball.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say no one here really "hates" Brownell

Jan 16, 2020, 2:21 PM

He's a good man and person.....They are mostly not satisfied with the inconsistent product we have been putting on the court. I'm not just talking this year, I am talking over the entire time frame.

Do the wins give me optimism for a good finish, yes.....am I going to hold my breath that we don't lose games we should win, no.

Every year we lose to programs we shouldn't and win a couple of great games we aren't expected to. Seems to be the Clemson way most every year.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Are you talking about Brad Brownell, or Tommy Bowden?

Jan 16, 2020, 2:46 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

he’s a good Christian man***

Jan 18, 2020, 11:14 AM

Brownell is our coach I will support him until he isn't

Jan 16, 2020, 2:31 PM

As far as a change in perspective.....Just because you did something that hasn't been done in over 30+ years, as well as 50+ years, doesn't mean you get a hall pass. He needs to make the dance for my opinion change.

The Duke game showed me that if players hit shots, it

Jan 16, 2020, 2:51 PM

... it makes a tremendous difference in the outcome of games and the perception of the team and coach.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The early season non-con schedule is where Brownell

Jan 16, 2020, 3:18 PM

has consistently struggled during his entire Clemson tenure. It has likely cost him at least 2 NCAA bids. If this team finishes with a winning record in the ACC but misses the tourney due to horrible non-con performance i think it would pretty much be par for the course for Brad.

For the record i don't think BB is a terrible coach. He's certainly not a great coach either though. Two games aren't going to sway my opinion much one way or another when there's an entire 9 1/2 year tenure to look at.

No.

Jan 16, 2020, 3:41 PM

"It" is hard to quantify, but I know when "It" is not there. Call it lack of intensity, lack of force of personality, fire in the eyes, whatever. BB just does not have it. And if he does not have it, he can't pass it on to his players. Yes, we occasionally have good games like the last couple when the team shoots much better than their average, but their AVERAGE is not good enough to BE better than other average teams. And this has been the problem for nearly all seasons under Coach Brownell. That may be no ones opinion but my own, but, you asked.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember when U6C beat UGA in Football?

Jan 16, 2020, 4:02 PM

The Coots thought they were great after that game. They had a terrible season last year. Yet still puff out their chest saying they can compete with the best in the league/nation.

I think they're ridiculous.

Until Clemson basketball shows more consistent winning, then I don't buy the hype either. Very happy with the recent wins, but not excited overall.

Jan 16, 2020, 11:29 PM

I expected things to get better a while back. So far I've seen nice adjustments. The development and chemistry of Newman, Simms and Mack is incredible. I think Coach thought you could win against teams with higher rated recruiting classes. Injuries and close losses showed how hard it is. Everything has to go well and not just defense. Recruiting is obviously improving and it helps to have plenty of good transfers and even walkons.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:03 AM

We are in a rebuilding year with several transfers and injuries. It appears the team is gelling and hopefully will continue to improve. We still have a ways to go to having a consistantly good program. It has become hard for traditionally middle of the conference teams to make that jump. UVA has been doing it of late and they have a somewhat better history than Clemson.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You will not see me saying much about the staff

Jan 17, 2020, 11:00 AM

But I watched the Duke game again this morning and I saw a fire in our team that almost seemed to be missing for awhile. Proud of them.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:34 AM

Not really. I always thought we had a great coach, but our issue was getting enough quality players to compete at a high level in the acc. A few injuries/issues can cause major havoc for us.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 11:42 AM

of our coaching staff?

If so, why?

If not, why?

Lol, Judge! A few real good wins do not make a season, especually how we started. We need to keep it up. If we win 4 out of the next 6 than you can start saying something.

Brad needs to start showing consistency and show he can get to the Big Dance in consecutive seasons before I ever become a huge proponent of him succeeded at Clemson.

What do you think this team to get to the Dance? Do you agree with me that they can probably only afford to lose 4 more games not including the ACCT?

I asked a question.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:47 AM

I didn't share my opinion, so no need to read into things and see what isn't there.

As I stated before the UNC game, when someone asked if Brownell should be given a raise/extension if he beat UNC in Chapel Hill: although it would be a great win, he should be judged on the entire season and on his tenure, not just a game. The same applies now.

We're on a nice run here, but the entire season is what matters.

I think we probably need 11-12 ACC wins to get to the dance this year. Although none of our losses are bad (quad 4), we still need to overcome a less than stellar non-conference performance.

Last year, quality wins seemed to trump NET ranking in some instances. The Duke win is huge because it's a definite quality win. Another couple of quality wins and we could possibly afford a few more losses.

Re: I asked a question.

Jan 17, 2020, 2:10 PM

Winning in Chapel Hill was a historical win. I'm not sure if you can call it a great win. Based on the NET rankings, it equates to beating Belmont on the road.

Aw cmon JK

Jan 17, 2020, 7:24 PM [ in reply to I asked a question. ]

Everybody with a 1/4 ounce of Tnet common sense, knows the genesis and motivation of this OP.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Nope, it was an honest question with no ulterior motive.

Jan 19, 2020, 2:36 PM

I’m not sure why you would think otherwise.

Jan 17, 2020, 2:58 PM

Most Clemson basketball fans are completely clueless. They just look at our record and make judgments on it.

Obviously at this point in Brownell's tenure I wish we would have had better results, but there are many simple and logical reasons as to why we haven't been great.

We all knew that this was supposed to be a down year for Clemson in basketball and that was BEFORE all of the injuries. Clemson has never been talented enough to deal with multiple injuries to players that contribute. I don't know why people thought it would be different this year.

All I can say is that if you look at our current roster/recruits and you aren't extremely excited about our future, then you are either an idiot or you just don't like Clemson basketball. If Simms comes back and we are healthy next year, then watch out!!!

Jan 17, 2020, 7:21 PM

After Yale, I was ready to move on....

Now? How about a 94 year contract. IDK, I thought last year was one of his better coaching jobs, record aside. That team should/could easily be a 10 win team.

Now I am thinking that, thus far, this is his best coaching job. The team could have quit but now it feels like we are running with momentum.I don't think we are dancing this year but this team is over-performing might be a major item.

Jan 18, 2020, 5:04 PM

Hahahahahahah I just spit my drink every where , which I’m a little angry bc it was mostly beam but I laughed really hard and then had to re read, I’m taking this as sarcasm and it made me chuckle but then I said wait, maybe it’s serious ... I have to know bc if it’s serious I’m speechless ... last year best coaching job in his tenure!?!? I’m going to make another drink lol

Jan 17, 2020, 7:29 PM

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Jan 17, 2020, 8:08 PM

Playin with fire moab®!!!

Lol, well I supported the Judge early on and thought...

Jan 17, 2020, 8:20 PM

...he was unfairly mauled, but now I just think he enjoys poking the bear and therefore owns the resulting carnage.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Lol, well I supported the Judge early on and thought...

Jan 18, 2020, 10:32 AM

I just liked the gif! ?? did that to a raccoon one time and sorta got what I deserved.

No more than when TB beat Tennessee in the Peach Bowl.***

Jan 17, 2020, 8:12 PM

absolutely positively

Jan 17, 2020, 8:46 PM

does not change my perception

it is time for change - and if you have to ask, then you answered your own question. beating unc and breaking the streak is great. but my daughters high school team can beat the heels right now. are you telling me that this horrific staff gets a pass for an upset of duke?? just stop.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

yes, they players love him and work hard

Jan 18, 2020, 10:46 AM

maybe one day he will figure out how to recruit HS kids

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jury still out for me

Jan 18, 2020, 11:00 AM

Brad and staff have to earn next year. While these last 3 games have helped change the narrative in a positive way, and deservedly so, I'll judge the whole body of work.

I think if we somehow pull out a winning season, which would mean a winning conference season, and likely NIT birth, they will have earned next year. NIT with this team, its youth and the injuries, would be a successful year in my eyes, unlike last year with a veteran team.

I hope we do it, but results matter. I also hope we do it as I think next year has considerable promise if we finish with a run like that. Would mean we've seen some real steps from players.

That said, we've seen good stretches like this before. A strong finish would show consistency with a group that will return a lot. That's what I'm looking for

Jan 18, 2020, 11:09 AM

I am ready to see what they can do next season.

This type game is exactly why I'm reserving

Jan 18, 2020, 4:07 PM

judgment on Brad and the staff until March. Seen this yo-yo inconsistency for most of the last 10 years

Re: This type game is exactly why I'm reserving

Jan 18, 2020, 6:26 PM

Still made a nice run at NCSU and just couldn't hit shots. At all.

First 5 minutes they looked good. Then subs seemed to hurt them.

Jan 18, 2020, 6:33 PM [ in reply to This type game is exactly why I'm reserving ]

Smh. We were in a position to win a game on the road against a quad 1 team. 9-23 from the FT line is not BBs fault. We had a bad night shooting and lost by 6. Off nights are a thing in basketball.

We will be fine. We are still young and hurt. Still does not make me lose faith. As I’ve said many times, the future is bright if we stay healthy.

Jan 18, 2020, 6:33 PM [ in reply to This type game is exactly why I'm reserving ]

Smh. We were in a position to win a game on the road against a quad 1 team. 9-23 from the FT line is not BBs fault. We had a bad night shooting and lost by 6. Off nights are a thing in basketball.

We will be fine. We are still young and hurt. Still does not make me lose faith. As I’ve said many times, the future is bright if we stay healthy.

We were never closer than 5 pts

Jan 19, 2020, 4:15 PM

How is that in a position to win? Trapp going to hit a 3 pointer, get flagrantly fouled and Keats get a T for a 6 point play?

We crawled back in the game, we were never in a position to win it

Jan 19, 2020, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Re: This type game is exactly why I'm reserving ]

We were never in a position to win and NC State is a Quad 2 team according to the Warren Nolan NET team sheet. But A+ for effort.

4 games versus 9+ seasons....

Jan 18, 2020, 4:11 PM

Hmm, I'm gonna say that no corners have been turned. I haven't completely given up, but you can't deny today was more the norm for us under the current leadership. Keep the faith Judge.

Jan 18, 2020, 4:47 PM

He!! no.....because this is what you get with CBB ......we have a 10 year track record to prove it......Go Tigers!!!!!

Judge I've gotten to where I don't comment much

Jan 18, 2020, 8:03 PM

On basketball. You have been very consistent in your comments and reviews of the program.

I liked Brownells play after the 10 second turnover at the end of the game today. I liked the passion I saw from him today.

He's done a bit of nice job borrowing some of the Clemson family theme and adding his own Angie (grit).

Can he bring the pieces together? Will the new facilities and staff help?

We have seen one simple fact at Clemson. Win and they will come. It's hard to do in the AAU, early money, one and done era.

My friends challenge me, why hire not a coach for $500,000 and $ toward football. We lost $x millions on basketball vs football.

I love basketball and hope Clemson keeps working to build a strong program.

Now, for your question - here's an answer:
This year we went to a football game. My son asked to buy a basketball. I asked if he was sure. He was and now we are proud owners of a Clemson basketball. But I hesitated to bring it to his practices. This week, I wasn't. I hope it becomes more and more of the latter.

Jan 19, 2020, 12:23 AM

Stop it with the injury excuse. History tells us that is not the case. BB can't bring in the talent. North Carolina was not a good win. Their horrible right now. We played over our heads against Duke. Today, is more the norm. Only way out of this is to say bye bye to BB.

No. We have a 10 year sample size.

Jan 19, 2020, 3:32 PM

Just got hot for a few games and actually made the 3s. Back to normal yesterday. Hard to watch.

DEPENDS on this answer----

Jan 19, 2020, 6:37 PM

Did BB actually 'allow' them to drive to the hoop & make back door cuts for easy baskets AND did he tell them to NOT shoot the 3 pointers?? His biggest flaw is that he appears unwilling to adapt to the skillsets of his players year in & out. I think if he had 5 Jemisons, he'd try to run the same stuff as if he had 5 Dawes'. Half joking only, but that one element is critical from Middle School to NBA.

During their 'streak', I saw a lot of good things from the Tigers with actual player movement, good passing, screens & cuts...in other words, playing to help one another like a team. Unlike what BB has been promoting for years in the "4 out & 1 floater" keep away offense that results in 1 terrible shot and a long rebound that usually leads to an uncontested layup because no one gets back on "D".

IF Brownell decided to make a change in the offense, then I will give him a polite clap; if the players are doing it on their own, then a salute to them. In any case, the motion offense & passing game has to be demanded because it's the only way the Tigers have a chance with this group of chuckers. Nick Honor would have made a big difference this year because Dawes can't run the point for 40 minutes over 30 games.

It felt great to win, but no it doesn’t change my mind.

Jan 20, 2020, 12:38 AM

In fact it only confirms my thoughts. We lost to some scrub teams yet managed to beat the #3 team. We are really inconsistent and it’s been that way for awhile, and I realize that it’s happened under most of our basketball coaches and not just Brownell but 10+ years is more than enough time for us to have a good sample size of what we can expect and I do think that a change would breathe some much needed life into our basketball team.

I don’t mean for this to sound like bashing the coach. Im just answering the question. I’m a season ticket holder and have been for many years. I attend games and cheer and support our team no matter what.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 76
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic