Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Auburn loading up on JUCOs ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Auburn loading up on JUCOs ...

Dec 18, 2013, 5:21 PM

Who was the last good JUCO football player that we were able/allowed to sign ??.

The last one I can remember was *Cory Groover of the class of 2002 who finally made it to Clemson in 2004. A decade ago!!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2013/12/18/5225108/davonte-lambert-auburn-tennessee-recruiting

"The Auburn Tigers continue to roll on the recruiting trail with Gus Malzahn at the helm of the program. With three junior college players already signed on Wednesday, AU added yet another four-star prospect to their 2014 class when defensive end DaVonte Lambert flipped his commitment from Tennessee to Auburn. He has signed his national letter of intent."

* Cory Groover ... In February of 2002 Hannah-Pamplico defensive tackle and Shrine Bowl star Cory Groover (6-3, 282) signed with Clemson. The all-state blue-chipper was later placed at Southwest Mississippi Junior College by assistant head coach Brad Scott.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Auburn loading up on JUCOs ...I dont remeber one except

Dec 18, 2013, 6:02 PM

back in the Hootie days I'm sure there must have been one but I dont know who it would be

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you don't remeber juco's...

Dec 18, 2013, 6:08 PM

how can you forget guys like johnny rembert, jesse hatcher, rodney fletcher, otis lindsey, dextra polite.. before that don testerman, jay washington.. and dwayne 'illegal motion" morgan

just to name a few

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

another juco

Dec 18, 2013, 6:11 PM

DB al latimer. jeff forner helped as an OL, too.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:Mccall***

Dec 18, 2013, 6:21 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you don't remeber juco's...

Dec 18, 2013, 6:26 PM [ in reply to you don't remeber juco's... ]

I remember testerman and washington- Hootie era. Also a guy named Wade Hughes

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"...and now with only 20 recruits committed..."

Dec 18, 2013, 6:07 PM

I don't know Auburns situation with people leaving and how many scholarships they will have open but the words "only 20 recruits committed" just doesn't sound right

Re: "...and now with only 20 recruits committed..."

Dec 19, 2013, 9:16 AM

I'm with you there. I don't know their roster well enough to know if they were under or over last year, but I know they only have 13 seniors and list 112 players on their roster. Obviously, some of those 112 are walk ons with no scholarship and they will lose some juniors to the draft, but they can't be that far off the 85 limit.

Three things about Auburn, however. First, SEC schools are more known for culling their rosters and dropping kids who don't make it athletically. Second, they also sign a number of kids who may or may not qualify and who may or may not qualify, so signing 20 might mean that only 12-15 qualify. Third, by signing so many borderline kids academically, more of them will become academic casualties, which might be why they only have 13 seniors on their roster.

Why the fixation on JUCOs? Not saying everyone is wrong

Dec 18, 2013, 6:09 PM

but just don't understand why it comes up so much. What do they offer beside a little more experience that the high schoolers we recruit?

Just needing a little education.

Re: Why the fixation on JUCOs? Not saying everyone is wrong

Dec 18, 2013, 6:20 PM

a little more experience = more mature body = lower percentage of bad evaluation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

JUCOs also help level out your recruiting classes ...

Dec 18, 2013, 6:34 PM

For example, if you're short on upper-classman OL because of injuries or that you just didn't recruit well a couple of years ago, JUCOs can fill the gaps.

All good reasons. Thanks!***

Dec 18, 2013, 7:03 PM

Re: All good reasons. Thanks!***

Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 AM

There are also a number of juco negatives and IMO, they outweight the positives in most cases. First, juco players are usually guys who had issues coming out of high school, usually academic. There's also a higher percentage of guys who have off the field issues coming out of juco.

They add experience, but they're only around for one or two years. They can't be the leaders that 4-5 year guys can because they haven't been around for their first couple of years. They haven't been doing mat drills every spring. They're learning from the guys who have been around, not teaching younger guys how to do it right. Typically they have had an easier path in juco from both an athletic and academic standpoint. Their competition has been against less talented athletes and their course work hasn't been as rigorous as it will be at Clemson.

Lastly, there's the chemistry factor. The juco guy may be uber talented and be a potential all conference performer. Even mature players who put the team first will have at least some residual resentment against a guy taking their job who hasn't paid his dues with this team. If you want to see how well jucos workout, just look at the highly rated juco players Lou Holtz signed at usc-e. They will mess with team chemistry and the failure rate is higher than kids signed out of high school. It's way higher than kids who sign out of high school and are still on the team their junior year.

It really boils down to one thing....

Dec 19, 2013, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Why the fixation on JUCOs? Not saying everyone is wrong ]

like most $EC schools, Auburn doesn't really give a **** about its academic integrity while Clemson does.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Why would you not want to transfer good players?***

Dec 18, 2013, 6:13 PM

cheating?

Dec 18, 2013, 6:16 PM

I say yes

That's what they do. Amazing they could ever go 3-9 with a

Dec 18, 2013, 6:23 PM

policy of taking any player from JUCO, taking any player that gets kicked out of another school (current qb from Georgia, Cam Newton from Florida) and paying players.

yep***

Dec 18, 2013, 6:57 PM

Re: That's what they do. Amazing they could ever go 3-9 with a

Dec 18, 2013, 7:00 PM [ in reply to That's what they do. Amazing they could ever go 3-9 with a ]

Every major university in the top 25 cheats...many outside the top 25. Paying players happens at every university that's why no one ever gets busted big anymore. How do you think we held onto CJ when he wanted to transfer back to Florida or how do you think we got him here to begin with? It happens everywhere.

lmao.....if that's not a chicken response,,

Dec 18, 2013, 7:15 PM

I don't know what it is.

Dabo doesn't cheat, we are in top 25***

Dec 18, 2013, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: That's what they do. Amazing they could ever go 3-9 with a ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

41 total posts and 41% says you are a coot. And just becuase

Dec 18, 2013, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: That's what they do. Amazing they could ever go 3-9 with a ]

South CArolkna has been put on probation twice in the last 5 years and is currently on probation, it doesn't mean all school in the top-25 cheat.

Hmm, the coots had a CJ too?******

Dec 18, 2013, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Re: That's what they do. Amazing they could ever go 3-9 with a ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son***

Dec 19, 2013, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: That's what they do. Amazing they could ever go 3-9 with a ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son***

Dec 19, 2013, 9:18 AM

One of the great lines in cinematic history.

Filling the gap...

Dec 18, 2013, 7:21 PM

Tough recruiting years during Chizik's decline left gaps in their classes.

JUCOs are a good way to fill them.

You obviously haven't looked at Auburn's recruiting rankings

Dec 19, 2013, 8:53 AM

over ther last four years.

Re: You obviously haven't looked at Auburn's recruiting rankings

Dec 19, 2013, 9:23 AM

2009 16th w/27 commitments
2010 6th w/32
2011 2nd w/25
2012 8th w/21
2013 14th w/23

From the '09 and '10 class sizes, you would think they'd be heavy with upper classmen, but they're not. They had a few jucos in the past along with early departures, transfers, and academic and disciplinary casualties.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic