Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Astro photography workshop
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 697

Astro photography workshop

Jul 27, 2020, 1:54 PM
DSC09602.jpg(63.2 K)
DSC09637.jpg(62.2 K)
DSC09689.jpg(204.8 K)

went pretty darn awesome.

Friday I drove up to Lake Logan near Canton NC. I could only smell the paper mill for a few minutes then I got used to it. After a meet and greet with some class room instructions we headed out to the Cowee overlook for some sunset pics while we waited on the clouds to clear up. Shot the comet, which I've now seen 3 comets and shot two of them in my lifetime (Haley, Hale Bopp, and this one) and then headed over to Balsam for some MW pigs. We got to bed around 230AM

Saturday we had breakfast at 8 and nearly no sleep. We did some more class room work, learning about photo stacking for noise reduction and editing some of the previous nights pigs. Got some lunch followed by a much needed nap before our second night began.

Saturday night we hit up Graveyard Fields, hiking down to the waterfalls and shooting a model/portrait set before making our way back to the parking lot. We were scared the place would be crowded asf bc Saturday but the parking lot was nearly empty when we arrived. Before we left we decided to shoot the comet once more before spinning some steel wool on an iron bridge. This was prob the highlight of the weekend for me. Im hooked on photographing this subject.

After the steel wool session it was time for bed buuuuut as we arrive back at Lake Logan the skies opened up to the Milky Way directly over a river so we shot for another 45 mins finally getting in bed at 1am.

Sunday we had a morning class room session before breaking up the band and heading home to sleep it all off. Here are a few of the images I've edited so far from the workshop

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Astro photography workshop

Jul 27, 2020, 1:56 PM
DSC09818.jpg(97.7 K)
DSC09883-Edit.jpg(208.5 K)
DSC09909.jpg(234.1 K)

Any beave shots?***

Jul 27, 2020, 2:00 PM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah

Jul 27, 2020, 2:07 PM

it me up on WSB

Looks like he's opening a Dr. Strange portal.***

Jul 27, 2020, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Astro photography workshop ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Cap, on your left***

Jul 27, 2020, 2:31 PM

Oh and get this

Jul 27, 2020, 1:59 PM

a guy that used to shoot for Clemson was at the workshop. He shoots for the panthers now. He lives in Clemson and was an EXCELLENT contact for me. Said to hit it up when in Clemson and might can hook we up with some opportunities to shoot

Jul 27, 2020, 2:01 PM

Cool shots....you gotta explain for me how

Jul 27, 2020, 2:08 PM

This steel wool thing works.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't do it, TOTE1

Jul 27, 2020, 2:09 PM

keep him in the dark

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Its a dangerous subject to shoot

Jul 27, 2020, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Cool shots....you gotta explain for me how ]

the 1st image on the bridge, that was the very 1st time the guy spun the wool and that tall arching flame was a piece that traveled about 50 feet and landed on a lady's camera strap. She had to stomp that ish out.

Right, but how are they doing it.

Jul 27, 2020, 2:15 PM

Yes I could google it but I’d ra5er hear it from a pro at pulling wool.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Right, but how are they doing it.

Jul 27, 2020, 2:17 PM

getchee some steel wool. IDK what grade maybe 0000 but IDK, put some in a metal whisk attached to a lanyard, light it with a lighter (you can also use a 9v battery Im told) and spin it. Open your shutter on your camera for about 8-10 secs

TIL that steel wool burns. Amazing.***

Jul 27, 2020, 2:18 PM

They prefaced this event with.....

Jul 27, 2020, 2:22 PM

"Last year when we did this a piece of wool landed on the glass of a photographer's lens and burned the coating, rendering the lens useless"

I don’t have any pro-grade stuff, but I have a couple

Jul 27, 2020, 2:25 PM

$300-400 lenses, and I just keep a cheap clear uv filter screwed on up front. Just figured if nothing else it was like a screen protector on an iPhone. Am I doing it wrong and screwing up my photos?

Re: I don’t have any pro-grade stuff, but I have a couple

Jul 27, 2020, 2:27 PM

Nah man I keep a UV filter on all of my lenses. It goes on the second the lens comes out of the box (assuming the glass is clean, if not I clean it) and then it never comes off. They said the person didn't have one on their lens.

never a boy scout, eh?

Jul 27, 2020, 4:02 PM [ in reply to TIL that steel wool burns. Amazing.*** ]

or long aperture photo model?

Look into fire poi

Jul 27, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Cool shots....you gotta explain for me how ]

Not quite as dramatic but a whole lot safer

Very cool pics TOTE1

Thanks for sharing with us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I'll check it out. Thanks man***

Jul 27, 2020, 5:15 PM

Great pics! Can't wait to see more future work.

Jul 27, 2020, 2:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yo jbuckman have I an opportunity for you!

Jul 27, 2020, 2:37 PM

Camping? CHECK.
Photos? CHECK.

Grab ya crystal and get this party started!

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/RV-Stay-Tip-for-Clemson-Camping-Boondockers-in-area-2003933?tstart=0

Re: plied***

Jul 27, 2020, 2:43 PM

That's cool, check out this pic I got of the ISS

Jul 27, 2020, 3:47 PM

Dude! I still haven't seen it yet***

Jul 27, 2020, 4:04 PM

Jul 27, 2020, 11:05 PM

Great photos once again.

The new comet was a nice treat. Awesome you had a chance to catch it on camera in that space. Looking forward to those photos.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 697
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic