Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

YOUR BALANCE
Would an NIT championship be better than a 1st round NCAA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Would an NIT championship be better than a 1st round NCAA

Mar 18, 2019, 7:45 AM

loss? Certainly the sweet 16 is far better than an NIT championship. I'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first or second round of the NCAAs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe but I feel like we’ve won a bowl game every time we make it to the NCAAT

Mar 18, 2019, 7:48 AM

Maybe that’s what’s wrong here . . . Winning it maybe. But losing early in the NIT would be a bigger shame than staying at home.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: maybe but I feel like we’ve won a bowl game every time we make it to the NCAAT

Mar 18, 2019, 7:51 AM

I think losing in the NIT doesn't mean anything for a couple of reasons. 1) Nobody will notice, because nobody cares about the NIT. 2)People realize that our players don't care either and aren't motivated for the NIT, so they aren't playing with passion. It's kind of like missing the playoff in football and having to go play in a meaningless bowl. The team could be flat.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahh, “we didn’t want to be there”.***

Mar 18, 2019, 7:55 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would an NIT championship be better than a 1st round NCAA

Mar 18, 2019, 7:49 AM

Is that a serious question? Obviously not. The NIT is absolutely meaningless. Going to the real tournament and getting blown out in game 1 by 50 is better than winning the NIT,

Is it better to win the Belk Bowl or to lose in the CFP?

Mar 18, 2019, 7:52 AM

Don’t ask a coot that question. They wouldn’t know how to compute the immense joy of either situation.

~JKB

Re: Is it better to win the Belk Bowl or to lose in the CFP?

Mar 18, 2019, 7:56 AM

that would only be a good comparison if the CFP was expanded to 16 or maybe 32 teams

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s how it feels like to me...

Mar 18, 2019, 8:00 AM

If it’s different for you, that’s fine.

Winning the NIT would really be like winning the Dollar General Bowl or R+L Carriers Bowl. I’m thinking those are probably around the 69th best teams playing in those bowls.

Yippee!!!

~JKB

Mar 18, 2019, 7:57 AM

There will be zero focus for our guys... being left out of the dance will be hard for them. I will not be surprised to see us get bounced early.

Mar 18, 2019, 8:02 AM

Especially for our seniors. They have to be so disappointed that the season ended the way it did. If I were them I wouldn't even play. I would just try and stay healthy for their European careers. They still have nice careers ahead of them.

Mar 18, 2019, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Would an NIT championship be better than a 1st round NCAA ]

nice attitude coot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2019, 8:21 AM

It’s happened before. Avery Holmes admitted he didn’t care 2 years ago. He said they just wanted the season to end. His 3 points in that game would prove that. The only person that cared to play was blossomgame because he was going pro

Mar 18, 2019, 8:03 AM

No no no. First round loss every time

Mar 18, 2019, 8:19 AM

Just my opinion, while winning the NIT would probably not do much for recruiting, it would give the seniors(Thomas, Mitchell, and Reed) some extra playing time to develop their skills if they have their eyes on the NBA.
On the other hand, losing your first home game as we did in 2017 might cause the student section at Littlejohn to storm DRad's home wanting the imediate firing of Brad B.
It's one of those Hoover Dam's if you do, and Grand Coulee Dam's if you don't.

Mar 18, 2019, 8:22 AM

Thomas is the only one who has a slight chance on a NBA carer. They all have pro careers in Europe or somewhere else abroad. Also, the NIT, or any tournament for that matter, isn't going to develop their skills more at this stage. It could help our younger players though, if they get enough minutes.

Mar 18, 2019, 8:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Would an NIT championship be better than a 1st round NCAA ]

Unfortunatkey none of these guys have any chance at the nba. Maybe Thomas but he can’t shoot and he’s only 6’9’’
Reed and Mitchell don’t have a chance for the nba. Overseas
Winning the NIT does nothing for recruiting. Recruits don’t come to play for nit championships and if they do I sure as heck wouldn’t want them

For someone as immature as me, I guess claiming we're #69 would make me chuckle***

Mar 18, 2019, 8:38 AM

As a kid in the 70's...The NIT has some prestige back then

Mar 18, 2019, 8:40 AM

before the NCAA tournament got expended. Not so much today. I hope the Tigers will do well in the NIT. I always like to see the Tigers win least 20 games. Winning 20 games is a decent year for us.
But yes This season overall has been a big disappointment overall.

No, winning an NIT only proves that you

Mar 18, 2019, 9:25 AM

should have been chosen for the real tournament.

Mar 18, 2019, 10:54 AM

Read through the list of schools in this 32 team field. At least one third are directional, cupcake schools that you might see on your schedule in November or December and would be embarrassed to lose to. I would say this particular team would have a 50/50 chance to lose to every one of those schools. I don’t know if that is because their style of play is conducive to low energy performances or lack of motivation but I’m pretty sure it’s not lack of athletes. I would prefer an entertaining style of basketball to a grinding, emotionless style.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic