Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for OL Recruiting vs UGA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Question for OL Recruiting vs UGA

Jan 13, 2019, 10:44 AM

Seems like the one position they can beat us at in recruiting...

Do they get the top OL guys over us because:

1. Run heavy and most OL prefer runblocking? (Though we run a lot now)

2. Better tradition for OL making the league?

3. Coaching/OL Coaches are better recruiters?

Seems like the one anomaly to me in recruiting.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they beat us in recruiting mostly cuz a large % of

Jan 13, 2019, 11:27 AM

the recruits live in Ga.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: they beat us in recruiting mostly cuz a large % of

Jan 13, 2019, 11:31 AM

But we pull other players like Deshaun, Andrew Booth etc. never OL

Re: Question for OL Recruiting vs UGA

Jan 13, 2019, 11:36 AM

Pittman is a good recruiter, but OL recruits love the ground and pound. I can't really complain about our OL after our dominant CFP OL play.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:39 AM

Def not complaining either. Dont get me wrong. We still can pull Carman. Putnam etc. just seems like heads up with UGA we temd to lose. Just curious why. I assume the same as you.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:45 AM

Lots of great recruits in Georgia

Their style of play in the past.

They have a history.

Good OL recruiter.

I think we are coming around though.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:52 AM

They usually get the high 4 and 5 star guys ready to come in and play right away, but Clemson has dramatically improved the type of o lineman that we get. High 3 and 4 star guys with a 5 star every now and again. The real difference is we are getting guys with the right size to play with elite programs. Now they might have to redshirt and develop to work on foot and hand techniques and that's ok. We no longer have the 280-290 pound o lineman anymore.

What we do beat them in is skilled position players and usually those are positions you really can't teach. Like Ross with the 1 hand OBJ catch in the Championship game you either can do that or you can't. No amount of technique training is going to help you there.

As far as RB's go it's just depends on what type you are looking for that fits your offense. We have different philosophies and schemes than they do.

Now where the real battle is in Defensive players we go after the same guys there often. Not saying we don't with o lineman but we can work around that. And for other offensive players I think we hold the edge there.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:20 PM

I think Sam Pittman is the main reason for UGA's good fortunes with O-linemen. I think he and RB coach Dell McGee were guys UGA absolutely had to hold on to during the off season moves. I agree with your point about Clemson out recruiting (or better developing) some of the skill positions. Clemson seems to get one 6'3"-plus receiver after another. Wish we could land those type of guys to play on the outside.

Jan 13, 2019, 2:39 PM

With the mass exodus of players and now coaches leaving to take lateral jobs... maybe in a few years when Caldwell is ready to retire Dabo goes after Pittman. I know it’s not Dabo’s style and he already has a secession plan in place.... but it would be great to get a Pittman type coach and recruiter. And no this isn’t me complaining about Caldwell as much as acknowledging the strengths of Pittman.

Jan 13, 2019, 3:02 PM

Definitely not Dabo’s style. I suspect he will promote a young riser.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 3:47 PM

Would love to hire Sam Pittman away from UGA if Caldwell retires but you guys are right in that we would probably promote from within. Maybe Thomas Austin??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 12:02 PM

I think mostly because of style which showcases the OL a little more. It probably goes as a good combination with their backs as well. Although we have an unbelievable stable of backs, the were not as highly recruited as Georgia's. It is similar to we have managed to get great WR's, I think in part because of getting great QB's to throw to them. Also, it can't hurt the QB recruiting for them to see the talent that will be catching balls from them.

I have to wonder if the ground and pound type blockers, don't "rate" better as well. Although they would do well with us, it does not mean that we might not be better off with a young man that is a better pass blocker, that does not rank as high on paper.

Jan 13, 2019, 12:37 PM

I wondered how long before a thread came up about our OL deficiencies. Win the national championship game by blowing out the GOAT team, don't give up one sack but yet we have yahoos on here wanting Robbie Caldwell gone? Do yous idjits still want Batson gone too?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 1:54 PM

Seems like you are imagining what the OP said rather than looking at what he actually said. He doesn’t cast blame at anyone, and doesn’t mention Caldwell. If you have issues with what others have posted, you shouldn’t blame the OP.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for OL Recruiting vs UGA ]

Not sure the OP was referring to that at all. You need a hug?

As a former OL, I can definitively answer this

Jan 13, 2019, 3:13 PM

OL just are not that smart, thus they choose UGA.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you watch the NCG...? Please name a better OL in CFB.***

Jan 13, 2019, 3:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

their OL coach is an awesome recruiter.***

Jan 13, 2019, 3:52 PM

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic