Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are you old enough as a Tiger fan to remember.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

Are you old enough as a Tiger fan to remember.....

Nov 18, 2013, 9:42 PM

...a stadium with NO upper decks......a golf cart the shape of a Clemson football helmet....listening to Jim Phillips on the radio because it was rare for a game to be on tv.....the hill not full at a all on game days....hills beside the north stands and we would slide down them on cardboard late in the game....Russ Cassell with Jane Robelot and the Tiger tailgate show from the lawn at Littlejohn....Leonard's Loser......two head coaches in the box at a game in the Orioles stadium.....the first time you went in the upper deck and wondering if you'd be able to walk back down....my mother went back down step by step on her booty because she was scared.....Fuller, Brown, Austin, Clark...boys on the 78 team....

...what are yours...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kenny Callicut.........................***

Nov 18, 2013, 9:49 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

fast, strong, catch out of the backfield....had an NFL

Nov 18, 2013, 9:58 PM

career too before injuries got him. A hell of a football player. Number 33 if i remember correctly. My favorite back then was number 83 Jim Stuckey. Two Rings with the 49ers for Jim and Archie Reese, another Tiger DT. After the '78 crew my favorite player became #99, the most versatile DL we've ever had, Jeff Bryant. Saved the NC in '81 with the lateral recovery against the Holes with the most heads up play in Tiger history. Spent the rest of the time in backfields wrecking shop and had a 12 year career with the Seahawks.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

people forget how great that 78 team was...probably as good as

Nov 18, 2013, 10:00 PM

the 81 team or maybe even a bit better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: people forget how great that 78 team was...probably as good as

Nov 18, 2013, 10:05 PM

I think we were better on OL in '78. We had both Bostics, Lacy Brumley, and Steve Kenney who all played in the NFL. Fuller was the best pure athlete at QB we've probably ever had at that position. The guy could have played corner or safety if he had to. We were two deep at all skill positions and Stuckey, Reese, Randy Scott, and Bubba Brown were all over the field on D. The DB's were all hitters too. That class started the revival and the NG on that team, Rich Tuten, is the strength coach for the Broncos and has been for years. Jeff Bryant started as a true freshman and ended up playing every DL position at one time or another. He had the longest NFL career of any Tiger in history other than Dawk but he's a forgotten Tiger great by most people.

Re: people forget how great that 78 team was...probably as good as

Nov 18, 2013, 10:17 PM [ in reply to people forget how great that 78 team was...probably as good as ]

BETTER!!

i was at the #### Georgia game in Athens we lost that year

Nov 18, 2013, 10:20 PM

Eddie McClendon killed us with some long runs and our offense couldn't get going. Second game of the year and a red neck UGa fan threw a beer on my Uncle's car and him and my father got out and pummeled the guy. Believe it or not, Athens police took him off and let us go. We lost 12-0 i believe. Rolled off 9 more wins to finish 11-1 and beat OSU and got Woody fired in the Gator.

that's right....it was 12-0....then beat Woody 17-15***

Nov 18, 2013, 10:21 PM

i had strep throat and my Mom wouldn't let me go

Nov 18, 2013, 10:23 PM

with my Uncle to Jacksonville to the Gator. He called us at midnight wanting to know if we saw Woody punch Charlie Bauman. He saw Danny under the stands talking to the press after the game standing on a milk crate with a chew in his mouth, spitting on the asphalt.

I was there...***

Nov 18, 2013, 10:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those little gold

Nov 18, 2013, 9:49 PM

Kazoos shaped like trombones.

My dad bought me one at my first Clemson game vs Villanova in 1978.

Re: Are you old enough as a Tiger fan to remember.....

Nov 18, 2013, 9:50 PM

Sure do . Started buying season tickets in 1973.

I'm proud to say I'm old enough to remember when we would .

Nov 18, 2013, 9:50 PM

beat the Gamecocks like a drum year after year with the occasional Kerolina win. Sadly, my 12 year old lives in a different time.

When the RV's parked behind the West End Zone....

The Catch I, the refrigerator size poster of The Frige, chewing tobacco on the sideline, and Mike Eppley calling the games with Jim Phillips.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

those were great days***

Nov 18, 2013, 10:01 PM

i also remember how salty the PA announcing was back then

Nov 18, 2013, 10:08 PM [ in reply to I'm proud to say I'm old enough to remember when we would . ]

for example, i don't remember what year it was, but George had like 90 yards on us in a Tiger blowout and they were feeding him the ball late in the 4th trying to get him 100. The PA announcer said very dryly and loudly for no apparent reason other than to get the crowd insane, "Rogers 24 carries NINETY YARDS" and when he got stuffed the next carry the entire stadium erupted and we were out of our minds trying to get the D to stone his ###. Different times back then but then again, on the Hill there used to be handles of JD being passed up and down the Hill to anyone who wanted some. Seems like eons ago.

I'm old enough

Nov 18, 2013, 9:52 PM

Frank Howard was coach my freshman and sophomore years.

Remember those pre-upper deck days well.

Also remember getting stomped by Alabama and Auburn on a regular basis.

You got the last year for basketball in Fike

I came in a year later. My freshman year was Coach Howard's last year. Then I was rewarded with three years of Hootie Ingram and no running down the hill.

How about seeing Alabama playing......

Nov 18, 2013, 9:55 PM

in DV in the mid-60s? I barely can remember going with my Dad when I was a little kid.

Re: How about seeing Alabama playing......

Nov 19, 2013, 1:16 AM

I remember going to Tuscaloosa to see Clemson play Bama in mid-60s. Bama players kept coming out of the dressing room - had twice the players Clemson had. Frank Howard was quoted as saying, "Some bear the cross, but don't cross the bear." Bama won with no problems. Howard and Bear Bryant were good friends.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How about seeing Alabama playing......

Nov 19, 2013, 7:54 AM [ in reply to How about seeing Alabama playing...... ]

If we had only had a field goal kicker that year.

Before that game, Bear Bryant was leaning against the goal post watching Ala. warm up. Howard walked all the way from midfield to shake Bear's hand. When Frank got within about 10 feet of Bryant, Bear turned away and started walking off. Howard yanked off his hat, ran after Bear and started whacking him on the shoulders. They both had a big laugh, as the Ala. players looked on, not knowing what to make of the situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember every single thing on your list as well as

Nov 18, 2013, 9:55 PM

tearaway jerseys on Jerry Butler, Dwight Clark, Harold Goggins, Lester Brown, and Warren Ratchford. I remember the '78 team well with the Bostics, Fuller, Butler, Clark, Jeff Bryant, Jim Stuckey, Jonathan Brooks, Bubba Brown, Randy Scott, and The JUDGE as a freshman, who remains the best football player who I ever saw play with a Paw on his helmet. That was the era in which i fell in love with the Tigers by sitting on the Hill and watching the Tigers hit folks in the mouth. Jonathan Brooks gave me his mouthpiece after the Chicken game that we won 41-23. I still have it.

best player I ever saw wear orange was Levon

Nov 18, 2013, 9:58 PM

freak of an athlete....incredible.

man, hard to argue that one. Another beast LB but I have

Nov 18, 2013, 10:02 PM

to go with THE JUDGE....Jeff Davis was the standard bearer for Tiger LB's to me...a tackling machine and absolute leader of the defense. He was everywhere and absolutely drilled people. Levon, Ed McDaniel, Wayne Simmons, John Johnson, and Ashley Sheppard all played together AND all played in the NFL...absurd talent on defense. The best athletes on the team back then.

best set of linebackers I've ever seen...incredible talent***

Nov 18, 2013, 10:03 PM

Re: I remember every single thing on your list as well as

Nov 18, 2013, 10:05 PM [ in reply to I remember every single thing on your list as well as ]

I have to agree with orn, Jeff Davis was the best player I ever saw at Clemson, with apologies to Homer Jordan, Micheal Dean, Lavon, Jerry Butler, Donnell Woolford, Terry Allen, and Woody Dantzler.

Re: I remember every single thing on your list as well as

Nov 18, 2013, 10:06 PM

Oh and I forgot Terry Kinard and Buddy Gore.

Jeff Davis will always be THE JUDGE to me...in caps

Nov 18, 2013, 10:12 PM

the best pure football player I have ever seen at Clemson and one of the best I've ever seen anywhere in college in my lifetime. Terry Kinard would be the second and Michael Dean Perry and CJ in that next group. Davis and Kinard had instincts that made them look like they were in two places at once. My Father went all the way back to the 40's and told me (he wasn't a Clemson fan, he was ND all the way), "son #45 is the best college LB i've ever seen and it's not even close".

how bout

Nov 18, 2013, 10:03 PM

real charcoal grilled pretzels with your choice of salt, parmesan cheese or cinnamon. Plus people drinking in the stands big hits on the field and also sliding down the hill beside west endzone.

and phone booths in the stadium

Nov 18, 2013, 10:06 PM

nm

bleachers on the Hill for big games. I sat there in 1981 for

Nov 18, 2013, 10:08 PM

the UGA game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

remember bleachers at the top of the hill as a kid....

Nov 18, 2013, 10:09 PM

is that where you sat?

Nov 18, 2013, 10:10 PM

OK beginners!! Buck George,Jackie Calvert,Fred Cone,DumbDumb Windam,Don King,Jimmy Padgett(the cropper); BC, Billy Hudson,Harry O., Wayne Mass, Joel Wells,Gary Barnes, Harvey White, Charly Bussey... how about them???

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thx for sharing you old fart :-)***

Nov 18, 2013, 10:11 PM

Re: thx for sharing you old fart :-)***

Nov 18, 2013, 10:15 PM

U are welcome!!my first wife still has my rat hat!! LOL

my father in law has his on his board at his house***

Nov 18, 2013, 10:16 PM

Nov 18, 2013, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you old enough as a Tiger fan to remember..... ]

You forgot Charlie Waters.

Nov 19, 2013, 1:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Are you old enough as a Tiger fan to remember..... ]

and also Lou Cordileone!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Loads of Green Grass and Band Days

Since 1965, I've only missed 2 homes games in Death Valley. It sure has changed a lot in the decades since.
As a kid, all the green grass was a fun place to play when the Tigers were not winning.
Remember the annual "Band Day" when high school bands were brought in to fill up the seats when all there was was the 2 lower decks and the West End Zone.

This picture from 1965...

my brothers and I would play on the hill to the left of the

Nov 18, 2013, 10:12 PM

north stands in that picture when we were kids.

Re: Loads of Green Grass and Band Days

Nov 18, 2013, 10:49 PM [ in reply to Loads of Green Grass and Band Days ]

I AM in that picture. Look for the drum major in green with a white shako on the west 44 yard line. Ashley HS. Wesat in lower north, sec.t... 85 of us including 4 majorerttes, 4 twirlers, 8 girl colorguard, this'd old fuddyduddy,..
Guess weasrting that shako caused my hair loss....

Budy Gore and Ray Yauger . . . wooden seats . . . painted

orange shoes vs. NCST . . . fluted cups . . . game programs with the great cover art by Phil Neel . . . and on and on . . .

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Troughs, people. Troughs.

Troughs in the men's bathrooms in Death Valley. Unsanitary? Sure. Danger of an impromptu sword fight? Absolutely. But by Gawd, you didn't have to wait in line for the men's bathroom.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

north upper deck still has troughs***

Re: north upper deck still has troughs***

Nov 19, 2013, 9:07 AM

Seriously?! I will make sure I find a way into the upper deck next season just to use it. With troughs....there was NEVER a line....NEVER. Now the men's line is longer than the womens. Stupid!

South upper still has them as well!***

Nov 19, 2013, 10:54 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank Howard quote "When the Gamecocks(coots) are.....

Nov 18, 2013, 10:19 PM

winning, they're like termites they start coming out of the woodwork". Something to that affect, how prophetic today.

Shaking hands with Strom outside the student gate******

Nov 18, 2013, 10:22 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spoke with Nancy and Strom at Knickerbocker's...***

Nov 18, 2013, 11:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm old enough to remember..........

Nov 18, 2013, 10:22 PM

No upper decks, the country gentleman roaming the sidelines, the singing of Dixie to start the games, guys in their rat hats and ladies with orange and purple ribbons in their hair (both mandatory for freshman), more involvement of the Pershing rifles during the game, NO TIGER PAWS, an even uglier Tiger mascot, really raunchy cheers, "fight Tigers fight #### it, fight, fight, fight" was how you did it, MUCH better looking cheerleaders and rally cats, being annihilated by Alabama, Georgia and Auburn, NEVER losing to Coots, no searches so mass smuggling of liquor into games.

I remember the entire Hill section chanting

Nov 18, 2013, 10:27 PM

"#### a doodle doo, #### a doodle doo, Carolina Gamecocks to HELL WITH YOU!" in '78. I had a shirt with that on it, wore it to school in 4th grade, was sent to the Principal's office at Bradley Elementary in Columbia and made to turn it inside out and my mom was called. My Pop got me dressed that AM because my Mom had to go to work early....my Mom acted upset with my Father but with as bad as both of them detested the Chickens, it was an act, i'm sure. LOL. I remember looking at the Principal's USuCk diploma in her office with my inside out shirt on as she talked to my Mom on the phone.

and the ORIGINAL TIGER RAG

Nov 18, 2013, 10:46 PM

mine was Orange with a big purple Paw in the middle with "Original Tiger Rag" in the bottom corner. Still got it and bought it at DV in '77.

Watching Coach Howard's TV show....

Nov 18, 2013, 10:53 PM

with Verner Tate..."well Verner, we weren't blocking very well on that play and Yauger did not get many yawds....etc."
Howard was a classic...miss him.

Re: Watching Coach Howard's TV show....

Nov 18, 2013, 11:04 PM

Taylor Colquit treated lumber sponsor on WSPA.
We parked in front of Fike at the steps to tailgate off our 1960 Ford Gaxalie Stationwagon. Games started at 2pm and we were going home before 4:30pm. No TV...

And the trestle on US76 was not rusted, but painted.

Nov 18, 2013, 11:36 PM

I can remember NC State coming to town, ranked 3rd in the country. State had a highly touted defense, called the " white shoe defense". The defensive unit wore white shoes, which was unusual back then, black shoes were the norm. After warm ups when Clemson came back on the field, the whole team was wearing orange shoes ! The fans went wild, and was loud all day. Clemson was a big underdog that day, but won the game 14-6,the year was 1967. I'm old enough to remember ! Lol

Harvey White, Lowndes Shingler, Lou Cordileone, Sugar Bowl

Nov 18, 2013, 11:39 PM

-a press box that looked like a single wide mobile home on stilts
-no upper decks AND no west end zone
-Gator Farr and the Gamecock funeral
-Never playing SCAR or Ga Tech in Clemson
-Buddy Gore, Ray Yauger, Wayne Mass, Harry Olzewski
-Jimmy "Splinter" Addison
-1 pm Saturday kick-offs
-Band Day
-Game Programs with hilarious cartoons of mascots on the cover
-Bill Goodrich (Hoo Hoo MERCY!!)

Re: Harvey White, Lowndes Shingler, Lou Cordileone, Sugar Bowl

Nov 19, 2013, 1:08 AM

I see I picked the wrong night not to be able to sleep. Reading these post has assured me that I'll die from Dementia, or die having Alzheimer's not knowing anybody, not even my own name. Wow, my friends use to tell people that I was the wrong one to argue anything Clemson with. And I just found myself barely remembering a 3d of the names some of have named. That is scary b/c I turn only 62 in 8 days. Another 5 years I won't remember my birthday at this rate of that much memory loss at 62. I guess its time to pay the dreaded a visit, my doctor, if I remember how to get back there.;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't worry brother. Some of us worry that something is

Nov 19, 2013, 1:23 AM

wrong with us because we DO remember all of this stuff. I remember names, uni numbers, stats, positions, years, etc., and not a single thing i remember will earn me a dime in life....useless trivial knowledge that serves only to show me that my brain isn't programmed to make millions, only to preserve my fanatic fan's brain....i'll grow up one day possibly. LOL

nah. we have to grow old. growing up is an option, and not

Nov 19, 2013, 3:54 AM

always the best option available !

Nov 19, 2013, 1:19 AM [ in reply to Harvey White, Lowndes Shingler, Lou Cordileone, Sugar Bowl ]

.... and George Usery

"Pogo" !!!***

Nov 19, 2013, 9:13 AM

Nov 19, 2013, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Harvey White, Lowndes Shingler, Lou Cordileone, Sugar Bowl ]

Harry Olzewski scoring against Gamecocks when he caught a fumble in mid air as he was pulling from his guard spot to trap block on the goal line.

The first game I attended was the first game the South UD

Nov 18, 2013, 11:52 PM

was open. So, I remember the stadium prior to the North Upper Deck being built. The year was 1979, Danny Ford's first full year as HC. I missed out on Fuller and those guys. Definitely remember all of the kids sliding down the hills on cardboard.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I was there from 1965-1969, and upon seeing DV the first

Nov 19, 2013, 5:06 AM

time I thought I had arrived in the big time!

Perhaps, the most poignant memory is that of being a Clemson cheerleader and the "Rock," for in those days the cheerleaders met the team at the top of the hill and led the run down.

The "Rock" was placed on the hill in 1966, but the tradition of touching it wasn't started until the first home game of 1967. As we began the run, each of us hit the rock, then took off.

Home games were huge deals then, and upperclassmen roamed the halls before games to make sure the "Rats" were going to the games. The cheerleaders concentrated on the student section in the south stands, occasionally running along that sideline to encourage others. We would, also, run to the north stands to incite the fans there.

Some of you were kids then, and I recall laughing a good bit, while watching you slide down the hills on cardboard...especially with some of the nasty spills. No doubt that I got to meet many of you, as we liked to mix it up with the crowds before and after the games.

It was a smaller place in those days...closely knit...with most of us quite familiar with large numbers of fellow students, administrators, profs and Clemson townfolk...and I surely do miss it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there from 1965-1969, and upon seeing DV the first

Nov 19, 2013, 7:45 AM

Hartins, I would have sworn you told me you remembered Heisman coaching the Tigers and the uproar it created when he left Clemson for GT!!

That was the first time I went through Clemson; went

Nov 19, 2013, 8:25 AM

back when I was 77 to enjoy the experience again. Now, being 125 years old, I'm thinking of a third time to get my PhD in Urban Renewal...and my dissertation will be in Methodology in the DeCootanization of Columbia...as in nuclear strikes with early warnings to Clemson fans. lol

being 11 years old

Nov 19, 2013, 6:51 AM

Sitting on the hill for the 85 marylland game when ford brought hell down on the refs

Being in Miami @ '81 National Championship Game

Nov 19, 2013, 6:59 AM

Talk about an amazing experience...everyone, esp the team, was crazy stoked! And I plan to create new BEST Tiger memories by being in whatever stadiumS we're playing in when Coach Swinney leads us to our next SEVERAL National ChampionshipS! GO TIGERS!

Nov 19, 2013, 7:17 AM

Steve Fuller,Lester Brown,Cliff Austin,Dwight Clark, as well as Warren Ratchford, Jim Stuckey, Ken Pengitore(way back), Jerry Butler, etc,etc.......... I remember the stadium with no upper decks(1974 UNC game), remember listening to Leonard's Losers, and watching games from Mt. Clemson in the upper decks. I, also, remember being at Death Valley and watching a young, upstart coach in 1979 and 1980 that alot of fans were ready to throw to the curbside! But then in 1981, something happened that changed everybody's mind. I can't remember what it was!!!!!

That's older age setting in...which you surely must have

Nov 19, 2013, 8:28 AM

gotten from your sister; but not me, for I can remember who he was: Danny Hatfield...I mean, West...er, Cadillac or Chevy or something like that....

" Get me outa here , Percy " - Leonard Post Toasty***

Nov 19, 2013, 7:23 AM

Too bad we dont appreciate something until after it's gone

Nov 19, 2013, 7:36 AM

perfect example- Jim Phillips

Nov 19, 2013, 7:38 AM

Getting into the game for a dime in my cub scout uniform and sitting on the hill...listening to the golden voice of my good friend Len Hathaway on the 5th Quarter show on the Tiger radio network...my all-time favorite lineman, Lou Cordeleone (sp?) dominating the line of scrimmage...the best hamburger in the world at Dan's, I think it was. We would eat there either before or after the game...Red Parker scrimmaging the team on a practice field instead of warming up in the stadium the year after losing 56-20 to the Gamecocks and then the Tigers running into the stadium with fire in their eyes and tearing the Gamecocks apart. Many, many more memories of the Valley!!

lm old enough to remember going to south bend and beating nd

Nov 19, 2013, 8:09 AM

In dan devines last season there.

Nov 19, 2013, 8:19 AM

My first game was 1958 sitting between my dad and grandfather... I believe we played Virginia to open the season. They're both gone now, but still my favorite memory of Clemson.

My grandfather (a 1924 alum)....

Nov 19, 2013, 8:34 AM

took me to my first Clemson game in 1971. It was mid-November and Clemson won the game against Maryland 20 - 14. I was only eight years old. One year later he would take me to my very first Clemson/$CU game. As it turned out, that would be Hootie Ingram's last game as Clemson's head coach. Clemson won the game 7 - 6. Your post evokes an awful lot of memories in addition to all those you mentioned.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I can remember with fond memories

Nov 19, 2013, 9:00 AM

The little BBQ sandwich shop next to Esso and always getting 2 for the walk up the hill towards Littlejohn. Would park at the little library across the street from Esso where condos are now and we had a 22 second walk to Esso. One upper deck and the grass hill in the now corner of West End Zone where kids would slide on cardboard.

The best old memory was missing one ticket 5 minutes before kickoff against Maryland in 1980 and paying a kid 15 bucks for his concession entry pass so my buddy could get in game.

And yes, he made it in!

21-7 Clemson and in the parking out after bought a bumper sticker that said " A chickin kickin makes it perfect"

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being able to park anywhere....

Nov 19, 2013, 9:10 AM

...as long as you got there early before the cops got out of their cars.....no assigned spaces!

Nov 19, 2013, 9:25 AM

WOW, After I got started it brought back a lot of great memories. GREAT POST!

* my dad started taking me to games in 78, which instilled in me the love of Clemson at an early age. Each year we would take a press guide to his office and make copies of all the players. Then make a poster sized depth chart, which we used while listening to away games on the radio.

* dad was an auto donor from 80-89. After Ford was "fired," he went to Bobby Robinson's office and demanded his autos be returned.

* when it was a big deal to have Raycom on campus to televise the game.

* driving to the game (and listening to Leonard's Losers) was just as much fun as tailgating

* stopping at Katherine's Kitchen on the way to the game.

* the hill extending from the north to the south stands.

* "TAKE NO PRISONERS"

* The Wave

* talking to friends who sat on the top row of the North stands from the concession stands underneath.

* sliding down the grass hill under the south stands during 82-24.

* running on the field after every game to collect chin straps and sweat bands

* tossing dog biscuits to UGA fans and calling Hershel Walker like a dog

* throwing oranges on the field at WB

* my sister going to SC and how it devastated our family. She gave my dad a SC sweater for Christmas and he immediately got up and threw it in the trash. She wised up and transferred to Erskine after 1 year and later a Masters from Clemson.

* accidentally taking a sip of my dads jack and coke in the stadium at age 7...& 8...& 9...& 10, lol

* holding season tickets beside Jerry Richardson

* The Paw Bearer and Richardson's half Clemson / UNC painted jeep.

* When a contractor from Columbia installed the stadium lights and left gamecock flags hanging from them for a portion of the season.

* the tiled Tiger Paw at the bottom of Danny Ford's pool.

Here are mine

Nov 19, 2013, 9:55 AM

Booing Dan Devine to get off the field vs. ND

Celebrating the interception vs. Ohio State & not even knowing Woody hit Bauman until the drive home from the game.

As a kid being amazed at the technology that allowed the Tiger's eyes to light up & tail to wag after points scored.

I had the same thoughts about the Tiger eyes and tail***

Nov 19, 2013, 10:08 AM

Nov 19, 2013, 11:09 AM

Wasn't around that long ago, but I must say that watching you old-timers banter on here is a joy. You guys are some my Grandpa's age and I could never envision him using a computer!

Nov 19, 2013, 4:30 PM

First game ever watching CU score at the hill side endzone with a minute or so left to beat Norm Snead and WF 33-31. Then the next week seeing CU roll over Furman at Sirrine Stadium 56-3 with FB Pat Crain. The two losses that year were to GT 16-6 and NCSU 28-23.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic