Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm shook. Truly shook. I just learned that there are
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

I'm shook. Truly shook. I just learned that there are

Jan 21, 2021, 10:25 AM

people who claim to be True Southerners that put sugar in their grits. I had no idea this was a thing. This is coming from someone who grew up watching his grandfather put salt on tomatoes, watermelon, AND cantaloupe straight out of the garden (not bad, not my preference). I saw him, on occasion, put a block of cheese in his coffee.

Sugar in grits seems a little too much though. SUGAR?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm shook. Truly shook. I just learned that there are

Jan 21, 2021, 10:27 AM

Cane syrup?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. Salt, maybe some butter, but grits are savory, not

Jan 21, 2021, 10:29 AM

sweet.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nope. Salt, maybe some butter, but grits are savory, not

Jan 21, 2021, 10:43 AM

JK. I like some good gravy and venison cubed steak with mine. For some reason I don't really digest grits too well anymore so I don't eat large portions. Also like the egg yoke from over easy eggs with a healthy dose of pepper.

yeah, this...a couple of eggs over easy with runny yolks and

Jan 21, 2021, 11:03 AM

cut it all up and mix it together with the grits. Salt, pepper... mercy Miss Percy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I put

Jan 21, 2021, 10:28 AM

hotsawce on mine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yes, that is good. Maybe toss in some bacon. Or just mix

Jan 21, 2021, 10:30 AM

it with bacon, sausage, and scrambled eggs.

daughter fluff had that for breakfast today, except with ham***

Jan 21, 2021, 11:11 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I put brown sugar in my oatmeal

Never anything sweet in grits...

Oatmeal recipe from Greenr ------->>>>>>>

Jan 21, 2021, 10:32 AM

Old Fashioned Oats
Honey
Cinnamon
scoop of peanut butter
small amount of chocolate morsels
almond milk

Let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so (overnight is better) then microwave that bad boy until lava and let it sit until it thickens some.

DELICIOUS

Whoa. BTFU for a sec.

A block of cheese...in coffee? That's not southern, or northern or any gatdam direction. Explain this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreee 100%. Saw him do it at Christmas a couple times.

Jan 21, 2021, 10:35 AM

My dad always bought a big ass hoop of cheese in December. He would slice it up and give it to friends with a jar of whatever he was making and some peanut brittle. On Christmas morning, my grandparents would come to our house and eat breakfast. Poppy would drop a hunk of that cheese into his coffee to soften it up some. It was weird AF and I never tried it. We made fun of him for it but he DGAF, he was old and this made sense to him. I didn't ever ask if he made it up or if that was something he had seen elsewhere. Anyways, he would drink the coffee then scoop out the softened cheese and eat that.

Just googled it. Might be Scandinavian, might be Peruvian,

Jan 21, 2021, 10:38 AM

which my family is neither. I have now concluded that my grandfather picked it up from a foreign whore during the war (not sure which war, maybe just one at home)

Was your grandfather in Tommy Boy?

Jan 21, 2021, 11:25 AM

Frank Rittenhauer : If this factory goes under, the whole town goes under.

Boardroom Woman : That's when the ###### come in.

Paul : Excuse me, what was that?

Boardroom Woman : Men laying their trick-money down. Twenty dollars to pay the rent? Maybe not. Maybe instead I'll spend it on the #####.

Boardroom Woman : ###### running around, doing their little behind-shake for the men folk...

Richard Hayden : I kinda like her idea.

Boardroom Man : For Christ's sake. Once during the war I visited a prostitute, and my life has been a living hell ever since

I appreciate the explanation.

Jan 21, 2021, 10:39 AM [ in reply to Agreee 100%. Saw him do it at Christmas a couple times. ]

I'm quite possibly more confused than I was pre-explanation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard stories of people that did that, but I always

Jan 21, 2021, 10:35 AM

figured it was a cryptozoological myth. Humans, as a general rule, are pretty stupid.

BUT NOT THAT GOSH DARN STUPID.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard stories of people that did that, but I always

Jan 21, 2021, 10:47 AM

mutilated and burned the storyteller's body so that I wouldn't run the risk of hearing that story again. I also hunted down and did the same to the purported subjects in the stories, so that others wouldn't be tempted to witness sugar on grits and regale me with some blasphemy they saw.

That's what I expected when I clicked your post. 2021 is weird, man. People have gone soft.

Let's go with your version.***

Jan 21, 2021, 10:55 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those people are called liars.

Jan 21, 2021, 10:41 AM

They’re not true southerners. Or maybe they are and they were just messin with ya. Nobody with a lick of sense puts sugar in their grits. It ain’t oatmeal or cream of wheat - whatever that hot garbage is.

I question the Southernness of oatmeal/cream of wheat eaters

Jan 21, 2021, 10:49 AM

also.

I've never eaten a bowl of oatmeal - or seen it served/eaten by anyone in a breakfast setting. In my life.

I have had oatmeal cookies sho nuff. But a bowl of oatmeal? Nuh-Uh.

And cream of wheat? Get that on out of here.

https://www.southernliving.com/culture/southerners-try-cream-of-wheat

Never had bowl of oatmeal? That's a foodcrime. Pretty good,

Jan 21, 2021, 10:59 AM

pretty versatile, pretty healthy, pretty easy, and real real cheap. It's great on a cold morning.

Also

Jan 21, 2021, 11:02 AM

"It tastes like a punishment."***

Jan 21, 2021, 11:02 AM

You forgot...

Jan 21, 2021, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Never had bowl of oatmeal? That's a foodcrime. Pretty good, ]

Pretty disgusting.

Thick, gloopy, slop. It will keep you from starving. That’s about all I can say good about oatmeal.

Re: You forgot...

Jan 21, 2021, 12:30 PM

Things that are allowed in Grits:

Jan 21, 2021, 10:45 AM

1. Butter
2. Cheese
3. Pepper/salt
4. Butter
5. Shrimps

Anything else and it becomes Polenta.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

When we first moved to the south, there was a legitimate

Jan 21, 2021, 10:49 AM

couple years where 19She liked polenta, but didn't really care for grits. That they are identical was of no import. I still mock her to this day.

Grits without hot sauce?

Jan 21, 2021, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Things that are allowed in Grits: ]

I grew up eating Cream of Wheat and not grits.

Jan 21, 2021, 10:46 AM

You put sugar in that.

Unless there's shrimp on top, I'm not eating grits. And even then they must have cream cheese in them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought you were raised in the South. Were your parents

Jan 21, 2021, 10:54 AM

just that bad at parenting?

I know tdrake's dad worked at Michigan State for a while

Jan 21, 2021, 11:08 AM

probably some sort of midwest tradition that makes no sense today, much like Jim Harbaugh

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you don't like grits, well... in the words of mumbo...

Jan 21, 2021, 10:59 AM [ in reply to I grew up eating Cream of Wheat and not grits. ]

that should affect your credit score.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet you think Miracle Whip > Dukes too, Gen Sherman.***

Jan 21, 2021, 12:51 PM [ in reply to I grew up eating Cream of Wheat and not grits. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. Gravy, butter, fine. Sugar, never seen it.

Jan 21, 2021, 10:56 AM

Although I bet it makes it more crack-like with the added benefit of the simple sugars added to a complex carbohydrate. Just add in some fat (butter) and I bet it's awesome.

But not southern.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are those the same ones who add sugar to cornbread

Jan 21, 2021, 10:58 AM

and end up with some kind of odd cake?

Butter and a ton of cheese goes in grits

Jan 21, 2021, 11:01 AM

then whatever else you are eating can be mixed in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Re: I'm shook. Truly shook. I just learned that there are

Jan 21, 2021, 11:10 AM

Sugar in grits!!!! GET A ROPE...lol

I've lived in the south my whole life,

Jan 21, 2021, 11:14 AM

and I don't think I've witnessed anyone under the age of 50 willingly eat grits, ever.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've lived in the south my whole life,

Jan 21, 2021, 11:20 AM

you serious Clark?

Jan 21, 2021, 11:22 AM [ in reply to I've lived in the south my whole life, ]

is this inclusive of shrimp and grits?

are there any Southerners left in Atlanta?

Jan 21, 2021, 11:24 AM

I guess there's your proof.

Fair point.

Jan 21, 2021, 1:01 PM

You had me wondering, so I checked out the Google and somebody heat-mapped tweets about grits a while back. You can see that from Atlanta up through north Georgia grits just aren’t as popular.

http://www.floatingsheep.org/2014/10/geographies-of-grits.html?m=1

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've definitely eaten grits in Atlanta.***

Jan 21, 2021, 1:02 PM [ in reply to are there any Southerners left in Atlanta? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

South Dakota isn't the south***

Jan 21, 2021, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I've lived in the south my whole life, ]

Ok, i'll fall on my sword here

Jan 21, 2021, 11:28 AM

Born and raised in Columbia (sorry), and yes, I put a spoonful of sugar in my grits.

Father's family all does it and they're from the mountains of NC. He said that growing up, albeit quite poor, that his mother occasionally cooked grits at dinner, which got a little sugar on it, for dessert.

So yeah, proud Southern grits eater here, and I almost always put either cheese or sugar on it.

Proceed with the hurling of insults and roasting. I know I deserve it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

while it is weird AF

Jan 21, 2021, 11:32 AM

I'm glad you admitted it
I'm glad you provided the background

and as such, I will not hurl any insults in your general direction

I would say it must be a po folks thing but

Jan 21, 2021, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Ok, i'll fall on my sword here ]

Greenr's family, both sides, were po AF so it aint that.

There used to be a restaurant in St Andrews (Columbia) named

Jan 21, 2021, 11:43 AM

Po Folks. I would say it was similar to Lizard's Thicket, but I think they closed a long time ago, and I only went there occasionally after church as a young child.

That doesn't have anything to do with your Po Folks, but it reminded me of the restaurant.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, there is this....

Jan 21, 2021, 11:51 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbN6VkleO48&list=PLO7DcYT_fiDps_8ikxns04219S7k-1tJ5&index=8&t=0s&ab_channel=AtlanticRecords

Po Folks was a chain restaurant, Burt Reynolds lost his azzz on that ventur

Jan 21, 2021, 12:07 PM [ in reply to There used to be a restaurant in St Andrews (Columbia) named ]

ate in the Senecker one a bunch while in school

Jan 21, 2021, 12:10 PM

my parents liked to go to it when they came up to visit.

Served sweet tea in mason jars, if I recall.

Mason jars and checker boards while you waited looong

Jan 21, 2021, 12:36 PM

before Cracker Barrel ever thought of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep...and their country fried steak smothered in white gravy***

Jan 21, 2021, 12:41 PM [ in reply to ate in the Senecker one a bunch while in school ]

also, if you ordered the "calabash shrimp" they brought out

Jan 21, 2021, 1:35 PM

a huge basket slam full. By the time you ate the baked potato, slaw & rolls... the to-go box of leftover shrimp you carried out was another whole meal.

This is weird. Lakebum made a joke about sending the

Jan 21, 2021, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Po Folks was a chain restaurant, Burt Reynolds lost his azzz on that ventur ]

national guard to protect Cracker Barrel's this morning and I almost made a Po Folks joke, but figured there would be about 3 of us who got it.

Never knew Burt was involved in it. We used to eat at the

Jan 21, 2021, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Po Folks was a chain restaurant, Burt Reynolds lost his azzz on that ventur ]

one in Summerville like 35 years ago. Or maybe more. Shoney's Big Boy was a block away, too, and actually had the Big Boy out front.

It was just one of his many financial stumbles on the way down

Jan 21, 2021, 12:48 PM

to losing his fortune and bankruptcy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1996/12/28/how-burt-went-bust/9e763653-6157-4e1c-8734-5d4187ea3303/

In the 1980s Reynolds's business manager, Sandy Simon, persuaded him and Killen, a country music mogul in Nashville whom Reynolds had befriended during the shoot of Deliverance, to invest in a chain of country-cooking, family-style restaurants, "Po' Folks."

Wasn't Bill Anderson the main celeb casualty of Po Folks?***

Jan 21, 2021, 12:49 PM

yeah, that seems to ring a bell... maybe Burt was a minority

Jan 21, 2021, 1:29 PM

investor, not sure. Burt made a ton of bad investments, Po Folks was just one...

I add about 1/2 tsp sugar when I make a bigass pot of cheese

Jan 21, 2021, 11:35 AM

grits, especially if I use sharp cheddar. But only a teeny bit, and never as a topping.

Having growed up on a farm, I can say that not only is

Jan 21, 2021, 12:26 PM

sugar in grits an affront to the palate, fresh ground YELLOW grits are better than white grits, any day.

I do admit to putting salt and a big slab of I Can't Believe It Snot butter on my grits, I like that buttery taste. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Southern born mama puts salt in oatmeal***

Jan 21, 2021, 12:47 PM

Even this ex-Yankee knows. Black pepper and a little butter

Jan 21, 2021, 1:12 PM

And that's it unless you're going full blown shrimp 'n grits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_majors_champ.jpg2008_nascar_champ.gif2015_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we drink, we get drunk.
When we get drunk, we fall asleep.
When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven!

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic