Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Are student athletes exempt from NCAA rules once the clock
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Are student athletes exempt from NCAA rules once the clock

Jan 17, 2020, 12:27 PM

hits 0:00 on their final game?

JoeB said it didn't matter that the cash was real, because he was no longer a student athlete.

Could a school just offer a kid $1mil to come play, payable after your last game? Don't seem right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are student athletes exempt from NCAA rules once the clock

Jan 17, 2020, 12:37 PM

As I understand it: Yes, assuming they are no longer enrolled at the school, when the game was over they officially had no connection to the school anymore. Cash given to those players would be no violation. Cash given to any that are currently enrolled would be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I don't go to school there anymore. The uniform? uhh..."***

Jan 17, 2020, 12:48 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My understanding is a bit different

Jan 17, 2020, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Are student athletes exempt from NCAA rules once the clock ]

Of course once they have no more eligibility there is nothing the NCAA can do to punish them, however if they accepted a promise of payment while eligible then the NCAA could force the team to vacate wins they took part in (as they were by rule ineligible at the time).

Not going to happen here, ultimately nothing will happen. Except of course, tons of talking heads will be talking about how unfair it is for the students not to get paid, so it's only fair OBJ handed them rolls of bills.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

***Novelty bills. per Louisiana State University***

Jan 17, 2020, 12:49 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

No, but they can punish the institution which what usually

Jan 17, 2020, 1:56 PM [ in reply to My understanding is a bit different ]

do anyway.

Joe could take all the cash he wants and stay in

Jan 17, 2020, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Are student athletes exempt from NCAA rules once the clock ]

School.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Joe Never Really Went There Anyway...Dude Was Just Doing

Jan 17, 2020, 12:49 PM

Some online coloring books or something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA enforces eligibility. Joe wil never play

Jan 17, 2020, 12:58 PM

Another down of college football so the NCAA can't touch him.

No..a school can't do that. If such an agreement existed and tne ncsa found out anot it.. the NCAA would declare the kid ineligible his freshmen year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 17, 2020, 12:59 PM

Once a player's eligibility is up, then NCAA rules no longer apply.

A booster could televise giving John Simpson $50,000 today and it would mean nothing because he is no longer enrolled at Clemson.

Same thing could happen even if he was enrolled

Jan 17, 2020, 1:01 PM

He just couldn't play football anymore

Re: Same thing could happen even if he was enrolled

Jan 17, 2020, 1:02 PM

Correct

Re: Same thing could happen even if he was enrolled

Jan 17, 2020, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Same thing could happen even if he was enrolled ]

The school could still be in trouble whether they knew about it or not. Lack of institutional control.

So Burrow dropped out/withdrew sometime between the

Jan 17, 2020, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Are student athletes exempt from NCAA rules once the clock ]

clock reaching 0:00 and the handing out of the cash? Can you really compete athletically on behalf of a school that you are not enrolled in?

Re: So Burrow dropped out/withdrew sometime between the

Jan 17, 2020, 1:24 PM

I believe he received his degree from LSU in Decmeber.

Also, he was out of eligibility so it didn't matter.

Students can take payments but athletes can't.

I worded my post poorly, but the eligibility of a player is the main factor.

Also juniors who know they are leaving could technically take payments after a bowl game if they don't participate in anymore team activities and go ahead and declare as soon as possible.

Joe burrow.. just like any other joe.. can accept all

Jan 17, 2020, 1:24 PM [ in reply to So Burrow dropped out/withdrew sometime between the ]

The money he wants while being enrolled at school.

Nothing kept you from receiving money when you were at clemson.

However, if you did receive money you could not play the football. You would be ruled I eligible to play football. The NCAA can not kick you out of clemson.

If the NCAA found out that Clemson knew about the money.. or arranged it.. or did nothing to control , they would get into trouble.

Re: So Burrow dropped out/withdrew sometime between the

Jan 17, 2020, 1:39 PM [ in reply to So Burrow dropped out/withdrew sometime between the ]

Well Christian, Clelin, Hunter, Dex etc were not enrolled at Clemson at the time they won us a championship...

Dex didn't play

Jan 17, 2020, 1:44 PM

But thanks for answering my question. I didn't know...that's why I asked. I guess my thinking is that a student should not be able to receive cash while still competing and/or wearing the uniform of a school or university.

I get that the player himself is untouchable, but the school is still under NCAA jurisdiction, and there should be consequences for such action.

Re: Dex didn't play

Jan 17, 2020, 1:48 PM

Oops. Forgot about Dex not playing...

I would tend to agree that’s how it should be, but at 0:00 I think all bets are off. If OBJ gave any cash to anyone that’s still in school then they will have to answer for that.

I'm sure if the deal was struck while the athlete still had

Jan 17, 2020, 1:26 PM

eligibility it would be a major violation. Also, there's a pretty big difference between a hundred and a million. I really don't think this OBJ thing was planned ahead of time. The guy is a moron and was likely messed up and acting on impulse.

Jan 17, 2020, 1:56 PM

The NCAA can only punish an athlete by making him ineligibly to play in the future.

If you are done playing, they don't even bother to look into it.

Guys get paid by agents all the time once they stop paying.

The school doing something against the rules is different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 17, 2020, 2:08 PM

I was reading an online article on the way home from the game. There has been a prior ruling and it all boils down to the definition of a student athlete and not when the clock expires on their last game. The prior incident had to do with student athletes receiving graduation gifts. I believe they were basketball players. My understanding is that the money is not allowed. That is why you saw LSU immediately contact the NCAA and SEC after Burrow opened his mouth. This will not be a major violation but will have some sort of penalty.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic