Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What Does MLK Day Mean To You ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 51

What Does MLK Day Mean To You ?

Jan 21, 2013, 11:40 AM

http://taylors.patch.com/articles/what-does-martin-luther-king-jr-day-mean-to-you-764ca703

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing, really. Just another day at work.***

Jan 21, 2013, 11:41 AM

To me it's as important as Presidents Day and Arbor Day. ***

Jan 21, 2013, 5:34 PM

nm

To me it means

Jan 21, 2013, 11:59 AM

Cleaning up about a ton of wood that Duke Powers' contracted tree cutters left in my yard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To me it means- ahh the American way

Jan 21, 2013, 12:01 PM

doing as little as possible to get paid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Appreciation for a champion of equality***

Jan 21, 2013, 12:33 PM [ in reply to To me it means ]

Appreciation to a man that helped lead a movement that

Jan 21, 2013, 11:59 AM

was saying that this great nation of ours had deep flaws. The movement they were brave enough to go forth with helped all Americans in that we live in a better country today than the country that existed before their actions. I am white, born in South Carolina in 1963, and the greatness of Martin Luther King Junior is clear to me.

I hope this will not become an embarrassing thread for Clemson.

The question was not was does MLK mean to you...

Jan 21, 2013, 12:03 PM

The question was what does MLK Day mean to you. Those are two very different questions.

I admire George Washington. But his birthday is just another day to me as well.

So if someone says what does 4th of july mean to you

Jan 21, 2013, 12:05 PM

you just say fireworks, the beach, etc..

What does Christmas mean to you? Presents, seeing family

I get it.

Re: So if someone says what does Easter mean to you

Jan 21, 2013, 12:07 PM

I would say a day which moves all over and I have no idea how it is determined. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2013, 12:16 PM

According to the Bible, Jesus’ death and resurrection occurred around the time of the Jewish Passover, which was celebrated on the first full moon following the vernal equinox.

This soon led to Christians celebrating Easter on different dates. At the end of the 2nd century, some churches celebrated Easter on the day of the Passover, while others celebrated it on the following Sunday.

In 325CE the Council of Nicaea established that Easter would be held on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox. From that point forward, the Easter date depended on the ecclesiastical approximation of March 21 for the vernal equinox.

Easter is delayed by 1 week if the full moon is on Sunday, which decreases the chances of it falling on the same day as the Jewish Passover. The council’s ruling is contrary to the Quartodecimans, a group of Christians who celebrated Easter on the day of the full moon, 14 days into the month.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Jan 21, 2013, 12:26 PM

thanks. actually I do know. It is just sort of a standing joke at our house since it moves all around

Jan 21, 2013, 12:44 PM

I expected you to say you're more confused now than you were before. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2013, 12:49 PM

and that too actually

July the 4th...eh.

Jan 21, 2013, 12:07 PM [ in reply to So if someone says what does 4th of july mean to you ]

Christmas means a great deal to me, as we remember and celebrate the Son of God becoming flesh and paying the price for sin, so that we could be saved.

Well, Christmas is the day. According to you

Jan 21, 2013, 12:34 PM

they are two very different questions. What does Christmas mean to you and what does Christ mean to you are two very different questions.

You said what does MLK Day and What does Martin Luther King mean to you were very different questions.

Like you did with Christmas, I explained that MLK Day was in honor and appreciation of etc.......you said that was missing the question.

I didn't think you were missing the question...

Jan 21, 2013, 12:37 PM

I thought your comment of it being an embarrassment thread for Clemson could be taken as a shot against those who said, or would say, that the day itself didn't mean much to them, which doesn't necessarily mean they disagree with or dishonor Dr. King.

Got it. No, when I said an embarrassment I was thinking

Jan 21, 2013, 12:41 PM

about much worse than someone saying that the day just didn't mean all that much. Trust me, I have seen some posts in the past that made me say that.

Nothin' hurt. Good call.***

Jan 21, 2013, 12:42 PM

Re: Appreciation to a man that helped lead a movement that

Jan 21, 2013, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Appreciation to a man that helped lead a movement that ]

What does the 4th Monday in April mean to u? Just curious.

What kinda thread is this!!??******

Jan 21, 2013, 12:09 PM

Re: What kinda thread is this!!??******

Jan 21, 2013, 12:18 PM

Precisely my point above. Its a sports board. Take political crap elsewhere.

it means

Jan 21, 2013, 12:20 PM

Get up at 5 to go to work...and to stomp around the house before I leave so everyone gets woken up.

Re: What Does MLK Day Mean To You ?

Jan 21, 2013, 12:24 PM

It is a chance to pause and reflect on the great advances that our society has made thanks in part to the movement led by Dr. King, as well as the challenges we still have before us.

Good still beats out evil when...

Jan 21, 2013, 12:28 PM

Good men stand up!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No school...or atleast I hope no school

Jan 21, 2013, 12:28 PM

Everyone around me seems busy...i may be skippin classes and not even know it lol.

It's a reminder that everyone, regardless of race, creed,

Jan 21, 2013, 12:29 PM

or background has the same rights and freedoms in this country. If you support segregation by class, creed or color, you belong in Elizabethan England, not here.

Appreciation for a champion of equality***

To me, it's all about drinking more MiLK

Got MiLK?

It means anyone can be made a martyr. His speech and the

Jan 21, 2013, 12:36 PM

Civil Rights Act were 1964. He was shot in 1968. What did he do for those four years? Communist Party of America, any labor union issue he could get involved, and was pretty much broke. It's worth a google

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

Re: It means anyone can be made a martyr. His speech and the

Jan 21, 2013, 12:50 PM

It's good that you bring up King's fight for economic equality (although I assume not in a good way given the "communist" allegation). I think people forget that he wasn't just out there talking about legal equality. He also spoke out against the Vietnam war. Did any of this get him killed or make him a martyr for those causes? I'm not sure, although it seems that King himself knew he wouldn't live much longer. If you don't believe me, check out the speech he gave the night before he was killed. He was in Memphis supporting a sanitation workers' strike. Kind of chilling, actually:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkivebeentothemountaintop.htm

Here's the relevant part:

"Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!

And so I'm happy, tonight.

I'm not worried about anything.

I'm not fearing any man!

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!"

then went back to his hotel and had sex with a woman

Jan 21, 2013, 1:37 PM

who was not his wife. Even his own best bud and fellow civil rights leader Ralph Abernathy writes that on the night before he died, King gave a rousing speech, had dinner with a woman afterward and remained with her till 1 AM, then came back to his motel to spend the night with a second woman. In the early morning hours a third woman came looking for King and became angry when she found the bed in the room he shared with Abernathy unoccupied. When King reappeared, he argued with woman #3 and wound up knocking her across the bed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

^^^paranoid conspiracy theory racist^^^***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:01 PM [ in reply to It means anyone can be made a martyr. His speech and the ]

chocolate milk ok then?***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

The real Independence Day***

Jan 21, 2013, 12:53 PM

By the way Easter is a pagan fertility goddess***

Jan 21, 2013, 12:54 PM

Re: By the way Easter is a pagan fertility goddess***

Jan 21, 2013, 12:56 PM

Estre was.

Eostre, actually.

Message was edited by: David78®

Also Yeshua(Jesus) wasn't born on.....

Jan 21, 2013, 12:57 PM

December 25th, it was around some time June. December 25th is the birthdate of a messiah of a pagan Roman religion called Mithraism

Re: Also Yeshua(Jesus) wasn't born on.....

Jan 21, 2013, 12:59 PM

While you're at it, why don't you point out it was probably not 0CE, too?

it was around 4 BC***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:02 PM

LOL. So you did it. That's rich.

Jan 21, 2013, 1:06 PM

What would you say if I point out that none of your points matter? Yes, the early church redefined some popular festival days and gave them a Christian meaning.

My point is Paganism intermixed with Christianity a long...

Jan 21, 2013, 1:18 PM

time ago, and a lot of beliefs and celebrations by modern day Christians are more rooted in Paganism than the teachings of Yeshua(Jesus). The original Christians didn't even celebrate Christmas. Most Christians are ignorant of what the original Christians, the Nazernes, actually believed and practiced. Modern day Christians get more influence from paganism intermixed with Christianity, than the original Christianity.

I don't think that is true of the faithful.

Jan 21, 2013, 1:26 PM

I'm sure they're all about the meaning ascribed and not the pagan origins.

amazing how many christians don't know the real history...

Jan 21, 2013, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Also Yeshua(Jesus) wasn't born on..... ]

about their own faith

The exact date of Jesus' birth has nothing to do with my

Jan 21, 2013, 1:12 PM

faith. If we celebrated it in June, I would feel the same way about it.

Re: The exact date of Jesus' birth has nothing to do with my

Jan 21, 2013, 1:18 PM

WHAT?! That would completely change the whole thing! There would be no Santa or Frosty!

Well, maybe in the southern hemisphere.

What does Jesus' birthday have to do with being…..

Jan 21, 2013, 1:20 PM [ in reply to The exact date of Jesus' birth has nothing to do with my ]

materialistic and spending ridiculous amounts of money on stuff that is nothing more than luxury.

Nothing.***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:23 PM

^^^Has an axe to grind^^^

Jan 21, 2013, 1:24 PM [ in reply to What does Jesus' birthday have to do with being….. ]

Jesus still loves you.

Other, less perfect people? Not so much.

^^^makes no sense^^^***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:25 PM

^^^TD's when butthurt^^^***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:26 PM

^^^likes to make homosexual references^^^***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:27 PM

Really, when?

Jan 21, 2013, 1:28 PM

Amazing that was at the top of your bag of comebacks.

you just used one and you're not smart enough...

Jan 21, 2013, 1:30 PM

to notice it, end of argument, go troll someone else

This from the king of the trolls.

Jan 21, 2013, 1:32 PM

You're like on the Mount Rushmore of Internet Trolls.

^^^still hiding in the closet^^^***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:27 PM [ in reply to ^^^TD's when butthurt^^^*** ]

So you hijack an MLK day thread to turn it into...

Jan 21, 2013, 1:31 PM

a screed against both Christians and homosexuals?

Does that about cover it?

Easter comes from Estre, also oeastre***

Jan 21, 2013, 12:58 PM

Re: Easter comes from Estre, also oeastre***

Jan 21, 2013, 6:27 PM

who the #### cares. Jesus I would think king of the Race card would at least not screw up a thread about one of Americas greatest leaders.

null

Jan 21, 2013, 12:59 PM

If MLK had lived out his natural life we would not have as much division between black and white people.
His I have a dream speech is what I refer to. To be judged by the content of our character instead of the color of our skin.
That message was hijacked by race-baiters to enrich themselves with power, money and political gain. The radical left in this country will always try to divide us into groups.

The radical left does not want us united as Americans. They will not argue facts because the truth will expose their agendas. The next thing they do is call you racist if you don't agree or go along with the lies.

The most important goal for everyone should be a real education and the opportunity for a job to provide for their family.
What we have now is more dependence on government for food, housing and loans for college. All of which are overpriced because of government control and regulation.

Slavery was the worst time in our history. We should never forget that.
Those who use it to divide us are the only ones who gain by it.
I was taught to act toward people the same as I wanted to be treated. It works for the most part.

Learn your history, MLK Jr "I have a dream speech" wasn't...

Jan 21, 2013, 1:12 PM

the only speech he gave. Amazing how far right wingers will try to claim somebody who they called a communist when he was alive. Here are some quotes form MLK Jr, that don't fit into your political point of view:

"Yes, it will be a Poor People’s Campaign. This is the question facing America. Ultimately a great nation is a compassionate nation. America has not met its obligations and its responsibilities to the poor."

"One day we will have to stand before the God of history and we will talk in terms of things we’ve done. Yes, we will be able to say we built gargantuan bridges to span the seas, we built gigantic buildings to kiss the skies. Yes, we made our submarines to penetrate oceanic depths. We brought into being many other things with our scientific and technological power.

It seems that I can hear the God of history saying, “That was not enough! But I was hungry, and ye fed me not. I was naked, and ye clothed me not. I was devoid of a decent sanitary house to live in, and ye provided no shelter for me. And consequently, you cannot enter the kingdom of greatness. If ye do it unto the least of these, my brethren, ye do it unto me.” That’s the question facing America today.

I want to say one other challenge that we face is simply that we must find an alternative to war and bloodshed. Anyone who feels, and there are still a lot of people who feel that way, that war can solve the social problems facing mankind is sleeping through a great revolution. President Kennedy said on one occasion, “Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind.” The world must hear this. I pray God that America will hear this before it is too late, because today we’re fighting a war.

I am convinced that it is one of the most unjust wars that has ever been fought in the history of the world. Our involvement in the war in Vietnam has torn up the Geneva Accord. It has strengthened the military-industrial complex; it has strengthened the forces of reaction in our nation. It has put us against the self-determination of a vast majority of the Vietnamese people, and put us in the position of protecting a corrupt regime that is stacked against the poor.

It has played havoc with our domestic destinies. This day we are spending five hundred thousand dollars to kill every Vietcong soldier. Every time we kill one we spend about five hundred thousand dollars while we spend only fifty-three dollars a year for every person characterized as poverty-stricken in the so-called poverty program, which is not even a good skirmish against poverty.”

"The inflation of war cuts the pay of the employed, the pension check of the retired and the savings of almost everyone. Inflation has stopped creeping and has begun running. Working people feel the double impact of inflation and unemployment immediately. But Negroes feel its impact with crushing severity because they live on the margin in all respects and have no reserve to cushion shock. There is a great deal of debate about the nation's ability to maintain war and commit the billions required to attack poverty. Theoretically the United States has resources for both. But an iron logic dictates that we shall never voluntarily do both for two reasons. First, the majority of the present Congress and the Administration, as distinguished from the majority of the people, is single mindedly devoted to the pursuit of the war. It has been estimated by Senator (Harkey) that we spend approximately $500,000 to kill a single enemy soldier in Vietnam. And yet we spend about $53 for each impoverished American in anti-poverty programs. Congress appropriates military funds with alacrity and generosity. It appropriates poverty funds with miserliness and grudging reluctance. The government is emotionally committed to the war. It is emotionally hostile to the needs of the poor.

Second, the government will resist committing adequate resources for domestic reform because these are reserves indispensable for a military adventure. The logical war requires of a nation deploy its well fought and immediate combat and simultaneously that it maintain substantial reserves. It will resist any diminishing of its military power through the draining off of resources for the social good. This is the inescapable contradiction between war and social progress at home. Military adventures must stultify domestic progress to ensure the certainty of military success. This is the reason the poor, and particularly Negroes, have a double stake in peace and international harmony. This is not to say it is useless to fight for domestic reform, on the contrary, as people discover in the struggle what is impeding their progress they comprehend the full and real cost of the war to them in their daily lives.

Another tragic consequence of the war domestically is its destructive effect on the young generation. There can not be enough sympathy for those who are sent into battle. More and more it is revealed how many of our soldiers can not understand the purpose of their sacrifice. It is harrowing under any circumstance to kill but it is psychologically devastating to be forced to kill when one doubts it is right. "

"And I made it very clear that I recognized that justice was indivisible. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. And then there are those who said 'You're hurting the civil right movement.' One spoke to me one day and said, 'Now Dr. King, don't you think you're going to have to agree more with the Administration's policy. I understand that your position on Vietnam has hurt the budget of your organization. And many people who respected you in civil rights have lost that respect and don't you think that you're going to have to agree more with the Administration's policy to regain this.' And I had to answer by looking that person into the eye, and say 'I'm sorry sir but you don't know me. I'm not a consensus leader.' [Laughter - Applause] I do not determine what is right and wrong by looking at the budget of my organization or by taking a Gallup poll of the majority opinion. Ultimately a genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus."

^^^is this like a book report?***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:35 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ consensus molder.***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Learn your history, MLK Jr "I have a dream speech" wasn't...

Jan 21, 2013, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Learn your history, MLK Jr "I have a dream speech" wasn't... ]

MLK studied communism at Crozer Theological Seminary in 1949.
He wrote that communism "robs man of that quality which makes him man" that is,"being a child of God".

That says to me he was not a communist and was a child of God. But then he had associates who were sympathetic to it.
Most people in public life have enemies who tear them down by name calling.
People can copy and paste and stand on somebody else's words without much effort. That is never the whole story.

Just remember that the democrat party has always been the party of slavery,segregation and now socialism.

Jan 21, 2013, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: What Does MLK Day Mean To You ? ]

Wow, you have drunk the kool-aid.

Means a day off work for me - nothing more nothing less***

Jan 21, 2013, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2013, 1:54 PM

It means a man can stand up for equality after being subjected to the most inhumane treatment and still promote non violence change. This man preached non violence at a time when he was greeted with nothing but violence. He was a great American who deserves every accolade he receives

I'm old enough to remember MLK. And a holiday in.....

Jan 21, 2013, 5:28 PM

his honor is atrocious.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2013, 6:28 PM

Parades in Memphis.

Replies: 68
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic