Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Leg and Foot Cramps
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 1

Leg and Foot Cramps

Oct 23, 2019, 12:14 PM

Have any of you experienced leg and foot cramps at night? It usually happens to us older guys so most of you have probably never "enjoyed" this painful experience. I've tried several things but nothing seems to be totally preventive. Sometimes the pain is so severe I want to cry. Aspirin does appear to help somewhat. I've seen ads re products that are supposed to provide relief but I most often think "snake oil" when I read their ads.

If any of you have any tried and true suggestions please pass them along to those of us who are subject to these unwanted events.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

gout?

Oct 23, 2019, 12:15 PM

Maybe

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: gout?

Oct 23, 2019, 12:31 PM

No, it isn't gout. The tendons in my knee or in the ankle area are tight during the cramp. I'll try the old water treatment suggested by several by drinking more water. May have to install a urinal next to my bed. In that case I may have to come back and ask you posters to recommend a good plumber.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: gout?

Oct 23, 2019, 2:49 PM

joe,i get terrible cramps in my calf muscles from time to time.what I was told to do is gently point your toes back toward your knee.not too fast!being careful not to tear the contracted muscle.the action stretches out the muscle and relieves the pain which is like having an ice pick stuck in the muscle.any good source of potassium will help as a preventative.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

If you drink more water put a lemon in it. Body acidity is

Oct 23, 2019, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: gout? ]

problem. You need it basic and believe it or not lemon water makes it more basic.

Generally cramps are mineral deficiency. If they feel like "growing pains", many times it's something like low zinc. Could be potassium also. I'd try eating more vegetables and taking something like this:

(Clemson actually tested it and found it to be great.)

https://www.y90-store.com/shop/btt-2-0-citrus-peach-fusion-480g-canister/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9f74mIez5QIViZWzCh1Seg1XEAAYASAAEgLjcfD_BwE

https://youngevityrc.com/wp-content/uploads/Clemson-Report_brochure2-0916-4Review.pdf

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4769/Why-You-Should-Drink-Warm-Water-Lemon.html

Results of lemon water won't be overnight. But you will notice a difference. It's helped many older people I know.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe, it is almost certainly a hydration / electrolyte issue.

Oct 23, 2019, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: gout? ]

I play at golf once a week, and would get the cramps in my legs and feet that night, or that AND the next night, if I did not drink more than the normal amount of water. I started carrying a small cooler with me to the course, with 4 small Gatorades, two bottles of water, and two adult beverages. That seems to be a good working combo, and I don't have them except on very rare occasions now, when I can't force myself to drink all that stuff while playing. I CAN tell you that more beers may make you enjoy the round a little more, but you will pay for it later, as it seems to make the probability of cramps increase. Maybe the alkeyhall is acting as a drying agent. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Leg and Foot Cramps

Oct 23, 2019, 12:18 PM

Do you take any blood pressure medicine? Some of those can cause significant cramps in some people.

Oct 23, 2019, 12:20 PM

Do your sext during the daytime?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 12:21 PM

Stay hydrated

yes

Oct 23, 2019, 12:22 PM

drink more water

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yes

Oct 23, 2019, 12:26 PM

Joe, I use a pill called LEG CRAMPS. works well with me. I get the cramp so bad I break out into a sweat and legs are usually sore later on. Get them at CVS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 12:24 PM

I know it sounds crazy, but so many people have found relief by placing a fresh bar of soap under your sheets. No known scientific reason, but this remedy had been printed and tried for many years.

Oct 23, 2019, 4:51 PM

I heard about the bar of soap and decided to put a bar next to my legs in bed - it worked for me. Don't know about anyone else - but worth a try.

Oct 23, 2019, 12:25 PM

Try eating a banana.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 2:40 PM

good source of potassium.does help.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I have Restless Leg Syndrome and prescriptions work for

Oct 23, 2019, 12:29 PM

that. I don't know if that is what you have, but I would talk to your doctor. Mine ONLY happen at night also. Praying for you Joe

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 12:53 PM

Salt tablets work for me. I’ve had the very best results with Pedialyte. I don’t generally use it because of the calories.

Pickel Juice? My buddy swears by it !

Oct 23, 2019, 1:03 PM

He says he can buy small bottles.

One small bottle of pickle juice followed by a bottle of water does the trick?

Personally! I would rather have the @#!%# cramps!

Good Luck!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

username checks out***

Oct 23, 2019, 1:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Pickel Juice? My buddy swears by it !

Oct 23, 2019, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Pickel Juice? My buddy swears by it ! ]

Pickle juice will knock it out immediately

Oct 23, 2019, 8:36 PM

Gatorade before bed, and pickle juice as needed. However, Gatorade is full of sugar and salt. If your bloodwork shows low potassium, a daily banana might help. Also, some statin drugs (cholesterol meds) will give you cramps. Hope this helps.

Oct 23, 2019, 9:09 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe I will try the pickle juice. Vinegar is known to be a common product that has many uses. I have a blood analysis at six month intervals and the results are within the proper range for a long list of things --- about three pages of results. Also have a checkup at three month intervals (go next week).

I can go for a long time without cramps and then, WHAM, at 12:30 AM. misery strikes. Cramps are somewhat age related.

No Joe, they said PICKEL juice. May be different than pickle

Oct 24, 2019, 9:27 AM

juice altogether! :)

Oct 23, 2019, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Pickel Juice? My buddy swears by it ! ]

I've heard that pickle juice works, too, and mustard. No one seems to be able to explain the mustard but apparently some have had good luck with it.

Oct 23, 2019, 1:07 PM

I also have severe cramps in the foot, leg, and torso after yard work. The following has worked for me.
Apple cider vinegar or pickle juice....These foods contain vinegar, which consists of acetic acid. This acid helps the body make acetylic, which is a neurotransmitter that helps our muscles work. The more acetylic you have, the better your muscles function.
Now i don't know the science of this but it does work for me. I also have a prescription tablet when it's really bad named "Soma" . That's a generic name i believe but it also works very well. I hope this helps you in some way. Go Tigers!

Oct 23, 2019, 1:08 PM

Try eating a human...they're full of potassium.

Oct 23, 2019, 2:18 PM

Hey BuzzPaw, will there be another episode coming soon or have you been censored? I miss the weekly reports. Just saying.

Joe21 - good luck with the cramps my friend. My uncle swears at them. He is a CVS pharmacist - I'll ask for his advice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Oct 23, 2019, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Leg and Foot Cramps ]

among other things.

null

Lol, worry about you buzz.***

Oct 23, 2019, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Leg and Foot Cramps ]

Oct 23, 2019, 1:10 PM

Not even 1 thumbs up.

Oct 23, 2019, 1:32 PM

Get a small jar of Potassium tablets at any drug store. Take one or two with a glass of water and it works for me almost immediately. I chew up the tablet to get quicker results.

Oct 24, 2019, 12:01 AM

Be very careful with the potassium. It regulates all of your muscles with your heart being the biggest muscle. You might want to switch to magnesium unless cleared by dr

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 24, 2019, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Leg and Foot Cramps ]

Be very careful with the potassium. It regulates all of your muscles with your heart being the biggest muscle. You might want to switch to magnesium unless cleared by dr

Oct 23, 2019, 1:42 PM

YOu need to be hydrated . Might make you have to get up to go to the bathroom, but try it.

Oct 23, 2019, 2:11 PM

Gatorade works.

Tonic Water with Quinine is the answer you seek***

Oct 23, 2019, 2:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tonic Water with Quinine is the answer you seek***

Oct 23, 2019, 10:47 PM

Absolutely ....tonic water because of the quinine. Also mustard. Doesn't sound too good but actually it is, but toast you an English muffin and spread a good portion of French's mustard on it.

Re: Tonic Water with Quinine is the answer you seek***

Oct 24, 2019, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Tonic Water with Quinine is the answer you seek*** ]

I read somewhere that Quinine may have some possible side effects that warrants further studies.

Oct 23, 2019, 2:16 PM

My mom drinks Schweppes seltzer water for leg cramps. I have some at the house for when she comes by.

Oct 23, 2019, 2:28 PM

Joe, I have horrible leg/foot cramps at night as well. The two things that have helped me most are TheraWorx, which I buy at CVS. I prefer the foam rather than the spray. Before I tried TheraWorx, I mixed wintergreen oil with coconut oil and used the conncoction at the onset of cramps. TheraWorx is far less messy. Good luck finding relief!

Agree....foam is better

Oct 23, 2019, 8:14 PM

And TheraWorx has been the answer for me.

Re: Leg and Foot Cramps SOLVED !!!

Oct 23, 2019, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Leg and Foot Cramps ]

My wife had cramps for 40 years. We tried everything listed here and then some. Nothing helped ..Until TheraWorxs. Stopped them cold 18 months ago and still working great'

THIS STUFF IS THE REAL DEAL.

Oct 23, 2019, 2:37 PM

Joe, the uncle at CVS recommends Theraworks as a topical treatment along with a spoonful of yellow mustard. I would prefer the pickle juice myself. Or perhaps some moonshine - you'll still have cramps, but you won't care.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Take all of the above at the same time and

Oct 23, 2019, 2:54 PM

the folks at the ER will take care of you.

May be more than you wanted to know, but

Oct 23, 2019, 3:20 PM

here's an extensive review with possible treatments.

https://saltwrap.com/research-night-leg-cramps-summary/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs4rDlYyz5QIVg4bACh1IUA62EAAYASAAEgLs-fD_BwE

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I have seldom had cramps, but a little over a year ago,

Oct 23, 2019, 3:40 PM

I had a cramp so painful I had to get my wife to help me pull my foot back down to natural position. I later went to the doctor and discovered that the cramp had broken a toe and tore ligaments throughout my foot. Before I could get the foot repaired it caused me to fall and broke my elbow. Both of these required surgery and several months of rehab. White Jones Hardware in Anderson sells a product called Proven Amish Formula and it seems to help. I also think CBD oil helps with some pain.

Message was edited by: leo®

Have you tried TheraWorx?

Oct 23, 2019, 8:11 PM

I rub it into my feet and legs every night before going to bed.

It is just magnesium sulfate....but seriously helps if you are getting craps because of low magnesium.

My sister has to take a magnesium supplement.

Magnesium maleate is supposed to be the best source

Oct 23, 2019, 8:41 PM

Many of the other types will give you diarrhea

Eat bananas for the potassium and take magnesium maleate

Oct 23, 2019, 8:35 PM

My 90 year old mom has them bad, and the magnesium and potassium definitely help~

Joe, just eat a mustard packet!

Oct 23, 2019, 9:20 PM

You know, the little packets of mustard you get at Burger joints or Fast food stores. I’ve had good luck with that over the years. Not sure exactly why it works....just glad that it does!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2019, 9:25 PM

Joe, mustard is the trick. Mark gets bad leg cramps and it always takes care of it. He even keeps little packets of it in his bedside table so when he gets cramps at night, he just reaches for one. As an added bonus, mustard also helps if you burn yourself. It takes the sting out and keeps it from blistering.

Oct 23, 2019, 11:50 PM

Joe21® said:

Have any of you experienced leg and foot cramps at night? It usually happens to us older guys so most of you have probably never "enjoyed" this painful experience. I've tried several things but nothing seems to be totally preventive. Sometimes the pain is so severe I want to cry. Aspirin does appear to help somewhat. I've seen ads re products that are supposed to provide relief but I most often think "snake oil" when I read their ads.

If any of you have any tried and true suggestions please pass them along to those of us who are subject to these unwanted events.

Joe I started about two years ago with very painful cramps in my legs and feet, but would occasionally affect my hands. My potassium tends to run low and I’m on prescription for that and it couldn’t be increased. First a friend told me to buy a large jar of dill pickle spear a. Eat the pickles if you wish but drink a small amount of the pickle juice. That does help for almost immediate relief but I was looking for something to prevent them from waking me. Magnesium is the answer. I take one (1) 500mg twice a day. If by chance they start up in the middle of the night I take a third one. I don’t know what meds you are on, but you may want to ask your doc in case some interactions. My primary didn’t know magnesium helps with cramps, but she does now. Finally restful sleep

Joe21® said:

Joe I started about two years ago with very painful cramps in my legs and feet, but would occasionally affect my hands. My potassium tends to run low and I’m on prescription for that and it couldn’t be increased. First a friend told me to buy a large jar of dill pickle spear a. Eat the pickles if you wish but drink a small amount of the pickle juice. That does help for almost immediate relief but I was looking for something to prevent them from waking me. Magnesium is the answer. I take one (1) 500mg twice a day. If by chance they start up in the middle of the night I take a third one. I don’t know what meds you are on, but you may want to ask your doc in case some interactions. My primary didn’t know magnesium helps with cramps, but she does now. Finally restful sleep

Joe21® said:

Joe21® said:

Joe21® said:

Oct 24, 2019, 12:58 AM

I’m so sorry I don’t know what happened.

Oct 24, 2019, 12:26 AM

Joe, I hadn’t read all the replies so this may be redundant.
Eat bananas daily.
Supplement with magnesium tablets.
Experiment with taking an Epsom salt bath 30-60 minutes before bed.
As others have said, stay hydrated but you need to get electrolytes with the water, but avoid sugary sports drinks, I like Nuun tablets with my water (maybe one a day).
Good luck.

Oct 24, 2019, 9:16 AM

Check your Blood Pressure regularly - to avoid cramps drink a quarter cup of pickle juice every third night and eat at least 1 banana in meantime.

Cramps are most commonly due to dehydration. Weighlifters are especially prone to cramps as we pass 50 years old.

Not a med professional, but former power lifter with way too much cramp experience. The above should work.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apple cider vinegar

Oct 24, 2019, 9:59 AM

I am pushing 70, and I experienced leg and foot cramps for several years,
until someone suggested I take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every
day. Add a little water or juice to it, and it isn't that bad.

Cramps have gone away, no issues since I started taking it.

tigercee

Oct 24, 2019, 12:17 PM

Use Juice Plus. T-Mail me for more information.

null

Oct 24, 2019, 1:45 PM

Low magnesium and potassium will cause leg cramps at night. Speaking from years of experience. Take 2 of these before bed every night. After a few weeks see if you can cut down to 1 pill.

Country Life Target Mins -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000168HV2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Replies: 61
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic