Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
App State - opinions needed......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

App State - opinions needed......

Sep 10, 2020, 9:22 AM

Anyone got a good feel for the quality of an App State education?

We are doing some college tours for fall break (self-guided since erry single college seems to have banned human interaction). We toured UC-Boulder last year and my son fell in love, but he also knows that Dad ain't having $55k out of state at a school that doesn't give many out-of-state merit scholly's because they have all the applicants they can stand. I think he has App on his list now because of the setting as much as anything. I've always liked App, but don't know much about the actual quality of an App degree.

Kid has a legit unweighted 4.0 right now as a Junior with two AP's under his belt and is trending towards a final 33/34 ACT, so he has some academic chops. I want him to clearly enjoy where he goes but I don't want to lower the academic bar because a place has night skiing nearby. I'll be looking up the metrics online....just wondering if anyone had some real-world experience?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what does he plan to study?***

Sep 10, 2020, 9:28 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are in the "up in the air" phase.

Sep 10, 2020, 9:47 AM

At the moment, he likes Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering, and Digital marketing/media.

The former has him looking at Colorado, Auburn, Purdue, and of course UT, in-state and whatnot.

Only the latter would be an option at App State.

I suspect that a grad degree would be extremely valuable in either case, so I'm not sure if it's a scenario where the grad school is far more important than the undergrad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For engineering App State is a step down from those others.

Sep 10, 2020, 9:50 AM

Not bad, but he'd learn a lot more at the others.

Auburn surprisingly has a good Aerospace degree. Their other engineering programs are about average.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't even know they offer any engineering.***

Sep 10, 2020, 9:51 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me neither.....

Sep 10, 2020, 9:53 AM

didn't see engineering on the list of App majors, but I did do just a quick scan.

They don't. I guess that is quite the step down he is

Sep 10, 2020, 9:54 AM

referring to.

They may do a Pre-Engineering or something.

GIS and Community Planning are in there, which we use alot in the Civil Engineering field.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn't even know they offer any engineering.***

Sep 10, 2020, 10:15 AM [ in reply to I didn't even know they offer any engineering.*** ]

I thought they had engineering technology degrees and/or a pre-engineering degree where you finish elsewhere?

I could have swore I interviewed a few that were App State/somewhere else on their resume.

The app. state grads I know

Sep 10, 2020, 10:05 AM [ in reply to We are in the "up in the air" phase. ]

are teachers, preachers, and government employees. All are very successful in those careers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup, my pastor went there too.***

Sep 10, 2020, 10:06 AM

I think we're up to 4 App St grads on the in-law side of the

Sep 10, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to We are in the "up in the air" phase. ]

family, all of which are pretty successful youngsters. One is a construction manager in Nashville, and makes gobs of money...the first job they assigned him was to oversee the Southern Living house at The Fontanel. Also, I can tell you that a degree in Digital Marketing/Media is a really good one to have. There are tons of very good paying jobs in that field, no advance degrees are required because the train on the job as the field moves way too fast for colleges to keep up. Some of the vendors we partner with haven''t been around very long and their growth has been nothing short of explosive. The value of some of these very young companies has been an absolute shock.

Obed®

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

also, Georgia Tech has a good Aerospace program

Sep 10, 2020, 10:07 AM [ in reply to We are in the "up in the air" phase. ]

One of my friends from Clemson was a professor there and I hired an associate attorney with that degree as well.

If you lived in SC, you could get instate tuition at Ga Tech for aerospace but that probably won't work in TN since it sounds like big orange has that program.

Agree completely but he's anti-big city campus,

Sep 10, 2020, 10:11 AM

and truth be told, I'm ok with that.

No VT for Aerospace stuff?***

Sep 10, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to We are in the "up in the air" phase. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^this.***

Sep 10, 2020, 11:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good call.....that's a dark horse candidate, but

Sep 10, 2020, 11:28 AM [ in reply to No VT for Aerospace stuff?*** ]

I have no clue when I'm going to be able to fit in a visit there.

I have a connection there, of sorts.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:35 AM

Did one year of undergrad there as a cadet. Elected to give up on Aerospace stuff and go into education. Went back to VT for phd in some sort of math. Was teaching there the day of the unpleasantness and is now a Prof. at Kent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lots of NASA folks at Langely went to UVA

Sep 10, 2020, 2:07 PM [ in reply to good call.....that's a dark horse candidate, but ]

way better school that VT imho

Re: We are in the "up in the air" phase.

Sep 10, 2020, 2:14 PM [ in reply to We are in the "up in the air" phase. ]

App St is pretty weak academically.

Look at UNC-Charlotte or NC State.

You can probably get out of state waived at UNC-C and it has a decent engineering program.

Don't get a masters directly after ugrad and don't ever go to grad school unless it's funded.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know 5 or 6 App Grads

Sep 10, 2020, 9:29 AM

Two are teachers
One runs an EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL landscape business, also takes a shitton of psychadelics, loves Phish, the Grateful Dead, and Widespread Panic. Lives in a $900k house in York County.
One dropped out and I think is just a social activist now. SHe works at our gym.
One is an antiques guy, woodworking and carpentry.

None of this would steer me toward sending my kid there, but I can assure you, I would have enjoyed App State.

Good school, great location.

Sep 10, 2020, 9:30 AM

Excellent program if you want to go into education, so I hear.

Our kid's thinking about it, but out of state so we're trying to sway her elsewhere just from a financial standpoint.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I have a friend who got his degree there and he works

Sep 10, 2020, 9:35 AM

for the State of NC now doing GIS stuff. He's a smart guy and really liked the school.

So I'm not helpful, but I don't have a negative feeling towards App State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

In before Vanderbilt***

Sep 10, 2020, 9:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

What degree(s) is he interested in?***

Sep 10, 2020, 9:38 AM

thanks, see above.***

Sep 10, 2020, 9:47 AM

True story, if you want the opinion of

Sep 10, 2020, 9:42 AM

someone who went there 20 years ago and have been successful in the computer science and project management world I can attempt to get you connected.

It has "state" in its name.

Sep 10, 2020, 9:44 AM

crulez went to a school with "state" in its name. I'll let you math this one out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, there is one decided ASU perk:

Sep 10, 2020, 9:50 AM

Rich Pouder is a perfesser there now. I'd sign up for every class he taught if'n I found myself matriculating there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not gonna lie.

Sep 10, 2020, 9:52 AM

Was expecting total skank.jpg

Ah, this is a very fresh wound for APM. lil'APM is a frosh @

Sep 10, 2020, 9:53 AM

Elon this year and we did a year and a half of college tours, etc.

App State is fine. But in the process of looking at schools, I realized how much college has changed since our time. Just going to decent state school is not going to be enough.

Really look at what the schools offer the students in the way of equipping them for careers. Otherwise, you're just as well off at a local community college. Also, if your kid is super smart (sounds like he is) AND has great extra-curriculars, then the advice is to go to the most selective school possible. These schools essentially serve as HR for the top companies. They figure if the kid can get into this school, then they will be a good hire.

So, in our search, it came down to the selective schools lil'APM was interested in (UVA, William & Mary) and the smaller schools that are great at equipping students for careers (Elon, Washington & Lee). lil'APM got a Communications fellowship at Elon and that sealed the deal. He is already doing great things in his first semester, even with COVID.

COVID is changing the college game. Many schools have already waived ACT/SAT scores. Most schools will go scoreless because the College Board is a racket. If you want to read the book I wish I had read (it wasn't out yet) before lil'APM started the process, this is well worth your time:

https://www.paultough.com/books/years-that-matter-most/

https://www.amazon.com/Years-That-Matter-Most-College/dp/0544944488/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQXZIVCExnM0Id1bCXA2-2uukLhY7Ngny4_stjBo4LBkNQGUWuucRRBoC2R8QAvD_BwE&hvadid=382663625657&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9008685&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16855900730252611927&hvtargid=kwd-820033810271&hydadcr=22597_10348412&keywords=paul+tough+the+years+that+matter+most&qid=1599745718&s=books&sr=1-1&tag=googhydr-20

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First of all, congrats on getting through

Sep 10, 2020, 9:57 AM

an entire poast speaking in 1st person.

there is no '2nd of all'

Re: First of all, congrats on getting through

Sep 10, 2020, 10:00 AM

'cept in dat subject line. Ungh.***

Sep 10, 2020, 10:15 AM [ in reply to First of all, congrats on getting through ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks, I'll give it a read.

Sep 10, 2020, 10:04 AM [ in reply to Ah, this is a very fresh wound for APM. lil'APM is a frosh @ ]

I've mentioned before that very intentionally, we are doing the 33/33/33 method.

-We're straight paying for 33% of our kid's education tab
-They're paying for 33% by working while in school - It's almost a universal constant that the people I knew at Clemson who worked while in school to pay for it took their education more seriously than those who didn't, and they also seemed to balance demands better.
-The remaining 33% will come from student (not parent) loans.

If they perform well in high school and get any academic or athletic scholarships, it could do anything from eliminating some or all of the 1/3 that would be loans, to resulting in me cutting them a nice check when they graduate to start their life in the real world, if they get scholly's that cover the full amount.

Bottom line, I want them to have skin in the game.

Does this become a 33/66 ratio

Sep 10, 2020, 10:44 AM

First I've heard of 33/33/33. I like the concept.

Does it turn into 33 parents vs 66 responsibility of student via loans or working (could do all loans if eligible).

In my time, I worked for any extra spending money, off campus living costs, car, etc. The rest of my costs were paid via student loans or money fronted by my parents (with a 0% interest rate due after graduation).

We've prefunded 529 plans assuming 80/20 or 75/25 so our two minions have skin in the game but hopefully not overwhelmingly so. After college, having loans helped me focus and make the appropriate sacrifices to pay off the loans, not live a crazy lifestyle, then ramp up savings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suppose it could, but I like the "mandate" that

Sep 10, 2020, 11:33 AM

33% come real-time from continual college-years employment. I think there's correlation between the labor you're putting into paying for something and the value you place on what's being paid for, and I also like the real-world work-life balance skills you derive from having to juggle the two worlds---it doesn't get any easier post-degree. All of those benefits would be lost in the 66% loan scenario, and I think it's easier for those obligations to be out-of-sight, out-of-mind when the "rent" doesn't come due till 6 months after graduation.

Additionally, that's 33% less debt that they'll be graduating with, which they'll ultimately appreciate.

I will say that hopefully that work would transform from random food or retail jobs in year one and two towards internships and on-campus employment in their fields of study in years 3 and 4.

If Aerospace Engineering is the goal there is no where else

Sep 10, 2020, 10:01 AM

but https://erau.edu/

Plus side it's in Daytona

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

it's probably easy to get

Sep 10, 2020, 10:02 AM

weed at App State

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

UC-Boulder too. Hmmmmm

Sep 10, 2020, 10:05 AM

maybe I'd better make him pee in the cup when he gets home.

Or

Sep 10, 2020, 10:07 AM

Have him bring a $55,000 bale home with him to make up the difference in tuition.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

From my experience

Sep 10, 2020, 10:07 AM

Its a good school if you are going for education or international business. I can't speak for anything outside of that. App was never on my radar because I never considered any other degree than engineering. I dated a girl at App for about 6 months and it was always fun going up there to hang out. Great town. Great vibes. Really modern dining facilities (at least back in 2010 when it was all redone).

My overall viewpoints as an individual has changed since I was 18, but if I had interest in anything other than engineering, I would consider App just for the surroundings. Everyone that I know that went there absolutely adored it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Oh

Sep 10, 2020, 10:13 AM

And the girl I dated had some nice teddies (no pigs, this was before snapchat) and was bomb in bed. We ###### four times in on halloween night. Best 3 minutes of my life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How big was her bush?***

Sep 10, 2020, 11:36 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

She transitioned between a nice red bush and

Sep 10, 2020, 1:15 PM

shaved. I liked having it both ways.

He can buy pot at every college now

Sep 10, 2020, 10:26 AM

Not just clustered at schools like App State and UC Boulder.

App State is consistently rated as a 'great value' education. No idea what that means, but since you're out-of-state, it may not apply.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nearly forgot

Sep 10, 2020, 10:36 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg

Nice head fake

Sep 10, 2020, 10:40 AM

we all know he's going to Vandy, I bet he's driving his Range Rover there on weekends already to hang out with his to-be frat bros. Drinking snooty IPAs, and getting his toxic masculinity on.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

App State grabbing that thing

Sep 10, 2020, 10:46 AM

https://twitter.com/tfmgirls/status/770792364143063040

I don't remember Boone having a lake that big***

Sep 10, 2020, 11:20 AM

Isaac Asimov

Our youngest Son went to ASU - read-on

Sep 10, 2020, 10:53 AM

Went 4 years and achieved a BS in Bus. Admin - now has a successful State Farm Agency at Lake Norman....

Sorry you can't get human touch with the tour - we learned a lot in 2 days - they were vested in the presentation & info

I will also say this-ASU is one of the only few schools where they will find a way to let Parents know if their kid is getting weak in work or grades - that was only 6 years ago - they do care...this happened to a couple of our friends kids.

Bonus - best fly-fishing around, ski resorts with awesome student pricing.....plenty of homes to rent when you visit during his tenure...Blowing Rock, Blowing Rock, Beech Mountain, and others are stone-throws away...plenty of great rental homes for students in their second year..

Stadium and fan base is great...

Our oldest Son went to East Carolina....was almost a disaster....you are just a number...

Best of luck to you all......

good feedback---thank you***

Sep 10, 2020, 11:41 AM

Check ASU's COVID response and resources.

Sep 10, 2020, 12:37 PM

response. NOT because of anything directly to do with COVID, but because I think it tells you something about how much the school cares and how nimble they are with challenges/changes.

Elon has a COVID dashboard and sends out weekly email updates. They have a total of 25 cases. That's not great, some schools have lower, but compare that to UNC and NCSU just up the road. Compare that to other similar-sized schools.

I think it is easier for a private school than a public school, but I'd still want to know how App State is appproaching COVID.

Meant to add Banner Elk to the towns - sorry - all the best****

Sep 10, 2020, 1:07 PM [ in reply to good feedback---thank you*** ]

Re: App State - opinions needed......

Sep 10, 2020, 1:18 PM

Both my sisters went there. One is a Superintendent and the other is a Principal. So they churn out good educators. And my bud went onto play for the Raiders after playing football there.

That’s all I got.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2020, 1:27 PM

One of my sons transferred from Clemson to app state. He graduated from there a few years ago. He really loved the school and the mountain scene. I’d rate the quality of education pretty good. All the buildings on campus appear brand new. He lived off campus. They have a bus line called apple cart or something like that. It picked up kids from off campus and carried them to campus for class. It’s a free service.

Sep 10, 2020, 1:41 PM

Personally I would pass on App State. I wouldn't paid the tuition for my own kids. If free, well, maybe but I would look hard at better choices.

Much of their education is what you make of it but rather lackluster since that applies to a lot of schools. My experiences working with APP State alums in Graduate school were underwhelming to nearly embarrassing. I got the feeling that a lot of their folks are there for the "experience" rather than educational progress.

UNCC or UNCG is better in the UNC system for schools not in Raleigh. UNCW is a good runner up. I have been generally more impressed with ECU folks than App folks. That is saying something since I live in WNC and there are definitely more App State folks around than Pirates. Actually, I have been more impressed with WCU folks and that school is generally a peg down from App.

So that is just my take.

agree re: the quality of UNCG. Surprisingly good school.

Sep 10, 2020, 1:50 PM

With a surprisingly decent endowment.

I don't usually expect "satellite" schools to have $300+M endowments.

We have 8-10 UNCC Engineers in my office and MOST of them

Sep 10, 2020, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: App State - opinions needed...... ]

have been hits. One is kinda iffy. I always assumed UNCC was crap for Engineering, but the coworkers I have are great.

In-laws went to App State and their crazy...

Sep 10, 2020, 1:52 PM

and very liberal...so

I think it still has the hippie/liberal vibe more-so than most places in the Southeast.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*they're****

Sep 10, 2020, 2:38 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They beat USuC last year. That's a plus. ******

Sep 10, 2020, 1:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic