Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone impressed with the hire of Hafley at BC?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Anyone impressed with the hire of Hafley at BC?

Dec 17, 2019, 7:38 AM

Can't say I'm sold on the notion he's an upgrade from Addazio. Thoughts?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Anyone impressed with the hire of Hafley at BC?

Dec 17, 2019, 7:44 AM

I didn't get it. If he's that good, why BC...why not wait another year? When coaches up and leave, especially after a year or so, that says more about the program they're leaving, to me. I get that Saban had a revolving door approach and, if that's how he wants to operate, so be it. That said, it's catching up to him. Year One as a head coach is not the time to lose staff, if it's not your decision.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m sorry...

Dec 17, 2019, 7:45 AM

who?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Somebody said he coaches DBs at

Dec 17, 2019, 7:51 AM

Miami of Ohio, or something. I dunno.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 7:57 AM

Cue music

Ah 7 & 5 we go,
and 7 & 5 we go,
hi ho the merry-o,
and 7-5 we go.

A first responders bowl,
A first responders bowl,
just told the sec
that we stole the Birmingham bowl

I am always weary of 'ranking' coaches since at one time they ranked Dabo 8th or something stupid after the 2010 season. They had him behind Al Golden & Mike London for Pete's sake.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-ranking-acc-coaches
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/176657-college-football-ranking-the-acc-coaches

However Hafley has some legitimate scrappers and better coaches across the Atlantic. Kinda scary that Doeren or Babers might be on the weaker side of things. Satterfield, Clawson, and even Norvell all seem to be in a different class.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty much what I think

Dec 17, 2019, 8:04 AM

They'll get similar results with Hafley. Three years of the same ol' and his seat gets very warm. I just don't see an upgrade here.

Dec 17, 2019, 8:11 AM

Something about hiring half a coach because they can't afford a whole one?

Addazio was there for 7 years

Dec 17, 2019, 8:14 AM

It's not like BC didn't give him a fair shake. He went 44-44 overall and 22-34 in the ACC and never won more than 7 games in a season or 4 games in the conference.

Maybe Jeff Hafley won't do any better, but at least there's some hope now. He's a young guy (40) that will likely bring some energy and enthusiasm into a program that really needs some right now.

The only eras of relevance for BC were when

Dec 17, 2019, 8:49 AM

Flutie and Ryan were names on the roster.

I really don't think they're going to make any waves by changing coaches. Boston is never going to embrace BC football. Therefore, BC will never be a consistent factor in the ACC.

Now if you're a hockey fan, hitch your wagon to the BC hosses.

That's not really true.

Dec 17, 2019, 10:43 AM

1999 8-4 (Tom O'Brien's 3rd season)
2000 7-5
2001 8-4
2002 9-4
2003 8-5
2004 9-3
2005 9-3
2006 10-3
2007 11-3 (Jags take's over)
2008 9-5
2009 8-5 (1st year of Spaz and the beginning of the decline)

That's a very solid 11 year run with zero of Doug Flutie as starting QB and 2.5 of Matt Ryan at QB. Steve Addazio's BEST season at BC was 7-5 (also 4 seasons of 7-6) which happens to the WORST season for BC during this 11 year stretch. And it was only a decade ago so it's not like this is pre-WWII CFB history we are talking about.

BC has legitimate reasons to believe that their ceiling is higher than 7-6 and it's very clear that Addazio's is not.

That whole stretch will get you fired at Clemson

Dec 17, 2019, 11:03 AM

There are a few good years in there (the Ryan years mostly), but as a whole it's a mediocre resume. +1 for the research, but I don't see much relevance.

BTW, Ryan was 25-7 as the starter 2005-2007. They haven't been relevant for 12 years. Since then Clemson has locked up the Atlantic. FSU and maybe Louisville are gaining ground. BC will not be relevant again imo.

Message was edited by: David78®

The point isn't to compare BC to Clemson

Dec 17, 2019, 12:06 PM

It's to compare what Adazzio did to what BC can realistically hope for. Adazzio's ceiling, aka his absolute best years, were 7-6/7-5. There's an entire decade+ preceding that where BC routinely won 8-9 games and even had a couple of double digit win seasons and a division title.

I just don't understand why so many people on Tigernet think it was a big mistake to fire a coach that, in 7 years on the job, could never win more than 7 games. Why is BC not allowed to hope for better? They will never get better if they don't try.

Re: The point isn't to compare BC to Clemson

Dec 17, 2019, 2:08 PM

They can try

Dec 17, 2019, 8:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Yes. Hafkey will be able to recruit better

Dec 17, 2019, 8:36 AM

And has done a great job upgrading OSU D. The best case for BC, and us, is that he gets them better and better each year, with UVA as a template with a defensive minded coach.

Hafley***

Dec 17, 2019, 8:36 AM

Think so? I really doubt that

Dec 17, 2019, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Yes. Hafkey will be able to recruit better ]

BC is so far behind the other options kids have (without going too far from home) I really don't see recruiting on the upswing simply because they hired a younger coach. The biggest thing they have going for them is the Catholic factor. Catholic kids who get passed over by ND may choose BC. But that won't be affected by the age of the HC.

Dec 17, 2019, 10:03 AM

Ryan Day coached at BC three different times and has a good relationship with BC AD so he probably gave him a good referral. The guy can recruit we will see if he can coach.

Dec 17, 2019, 10:10 AM

Not a bad hire at all.

But's it's also not a hire that says, "We are committed to trying to win the ACC."

Dec 17, 2019, 10:19 AM

Do you see that "not a bad hire" as an upgrade over Addazio? Can't say I do.

Dec 17, 2019, 10:35 AM

BC's facilities and stadium are horrible

Jesuits won't change that

But BC has been a force in getting recruits in the northeast against other conferences

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 12:26 PM

Has it been announced that he will coach thru the playoffs like Scott, or is he done?

Good Hire "For BC"!

Dec 17, 2019, 12:41 PM

If he is able to get some guys who are overlooked or undervalued like Kuechley and Ryan away from the larger Big 10 schools and Syracuse he will do well.
BC is about like Wake in that their "player development" must be 2nd to none in order for them to be successful.
They wouldn't attract many players from the south to go there who are 4 and 5 stars unless they establish a winning tradition that includes contending for conference championships. National Titles or at least prestigious bowl games. And even then it would be a hard sell because who wants to play in the cold.
They won't get a dome there.

It's a tough gig; but one that can be done better than it was being done. And, I have said it on here, I like Adazio. BC use to be up there with Wisconsin as far as OL play. If you have good OL play; you can do a bunch of good on the football field. A good OL helps your defense; because you can control the time of possession. It makes your QB look better than they are; because if you can run it; play action passes open up! That's what BC use to be and they went away from it.

Good hire for BC as long as he is patient. He won't get many ready made players fresh out the box at BC. If he is willing to develop guys they will be more successful than they have been.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's an upgrade but it's probably a stepping stone hire

Dec 17, 2019, 12:58 PM

He's a young guy, a good defensive mind and looks to be a good motivator by his press conference speech. I think it'll be good and will re-energize the BC team and fanbase but I can't imagine he'd be there more than 3-4 years. If he succeeds at BC, I'm sure he's looking for a big time job.

Re: He's an upgrade but it's probably a stepping stone hire

Dec 17, 2019, 2:06 PM

I guess my "problem" is I compared his presser to Dabo's. Not impressed.

No.

Dec 17, 2019, 1:18 PM

They have a very young AD who has never fired and hired a head football coach before.
I think he was anxious to make his mark on the program, and prematurely fired Adazzio.
The AD previously worked at O310 State, so he obviously just went to familiar territory and picked out the best assistant coach.

The AD even bragged a little bit in the press conference about hiring a football coach for the first time and doing it all himself...not hiring a search firm. A little weird.

Just my 2 cents. Doesn’t really matter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's premature about firing a coach that's been there for

Dec 17, 2019, 2:30 PM

7 years?

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic