Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone here remember much about the 67 season and the Bama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Anyone here remember much about the 67 season and the Bama

Jan 6, 2016, 3:11 PM

game that year? Just been reading some Clemson/Alabama history and that team was pretty scrappy from what I can tell. The Tigers were 6 -4 and ACC Champions with a quality win over a good NC State team and the 4 loses were to Georgia , Georgia Tech, Auburn and Alabama. Clemson was only blown out in the Auburn game 43-21 at Auburn and they took Bama to the 15th round and lost 13 -10 and had a real shot except Clemson missed 2 field goals. It was a sell out crowd of over 49,000 at DV.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was this before or after 2pt conversions were added to the rulebook?

Jan 6, 2016, 3:21 PM

Could've been the difference on us winning and losing.

I was on the Cheerleading Squad that year, and the

Jan 6, 2016, 3:23 PM

crowds started coming into Clemson Thursday and Friday for that game.

Frank Howard and Bear Bryant actually exchanged some light-hearted jabs before and after the game, and a brief fight broke out among the teams. Actually got to meet Coach Bryant after the game.

It was an old-fashioned grind it out, slamming slugfest. Danny Ford was there, too, as a Bama player, if I recall correctly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was that like an alumni cheerleading squad?

Jan 6, 2016, 3:25 PM

I didn't realize that you could be a cheerleader 30 years after you graduated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Forgot to mention that 67 was the first year of touching

Jan 6, 2016, 3:29 PM [ in reply to I was on the Cheerleading Squad that year, and the ]

Howard's Rock, although it had been put up there the year before.

In those days the Cheerleading Squad led the team down the hill, and Howard had told us that he expected 110 percent effort from us, too. Thus, it'll always be a special memory that I was among the first to touch the rock.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Forgot to mention that 67 was the first year of touching

Jan 6, 2016, 4:42 PM

Wasn't it Frank H. that said "a tie is like kissing your sister"?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Years ago I saw a photo of Howard and Bryant after a game

Jan 6, 2016, 4:28 PM [ in reply to I was on the Cheerleading Squad that year, and the ]

and Howard was smacking Bryant across his head with a hat. Wonder if this was that game. I've searched for that photo online this week, but can't find it anywhere.

Re: Years ago I saw a photo of Howard and Bryant after a game

Jan 6, 2016, 5:47 PM

I can't find it either and I have seen it several times.

Not the same picture but it's Coach Howard and Bear Bryant

Jan 6, 2016, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Years ago I saw a photo of Howard and Bryant after a game ]

at DV.

Re: Not the same picture but it's Coach Howard and Bear Bryant

Jan 6, 2016, 6:11 PM

Very nice. Thanks.

Re: Anyone here remember much about the 67 season and the Bama

Jan 6, 2016, 3:28 PM

I sold peanuts to get in that game and watch Jimmy "the Needle" Addison almost lead the Tigers to an upset

isold

Jan 6, 2016, 3:38 PM

I was there. Clemson held them to very little yardage in the second half. One of those games that we should have won!

Jan 6, 2016, 3:47 PM

I was there but I am almost as old as hartins so my memory is a little weak - I do remember going home on Friday and riding back the next day with my father. Almost got in big wreck on I-85 because gameday traffic came to a standstill over a little hill. Wasn't Stabler the Bama QB?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stabler was the QB. I saw that in an old T-net press release***

Jan 6, 2016, 3:52 PM

Frank Howard did a damm good job getting the wins he did

Jan 6, 2016, 3:47 PM

in the 60s.As I understand it was very tough for him to get the caliber of players like he had in the 50s because the ACC raised academic standards while the SEC did not. But like he had his whole career Coach Howard made the most of tough circumstances and seemed to get more bang for the buck out of the Tigers(ACC Titles 65,66, 67). Under a lessor man Clemson probably would have won much less than the 165 wins Coach Howard had over 30 seasons. Elected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 1989. That speaks for itself.

Re: Frank Howard did a damm good job getting the wins he did

Jan 6, 2016, 3:56 PM

Bear mmade the comment to the effect that if he had Clemson team be would have won the National Championship abd if he had the second team he would have been top 10.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2016, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Frank Howard did a damm good job getting the wins he did ]

Bear mmade the comment to the effect that if he had Clemson team be would have won the National Championship abd if he had the second team he would have been top 10.

Jan 6, 2016, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Frank Howard did a damm good job getting the wins he did ]

Jan 6, 2016, 3:57 PM

Wanted to be sure you saw this. Sorry my phone duplicated the post.

Jan 6, 2016, 3:53 PM

Yes. Bama was 8-2-1 that year and Clemson caught them after a tough TN loss. Clemson played them tooth and nail.

Jan 6, 2016, 4:06 PM

I was at that game . Bama had a QB named Stabler as I recall. Pretty good player I'll have to go back through my collection of old 35 mm slides to check but I believe in those days the Tigers wore khaki britches. Great days back then. FT was in his twenties and hard to guard! Still love them Fighting Tigers

Totally outplayed them after the 1Q....alas

Jan 6, 2016, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone here remember much about the 67 season and the Bama ]

we missed 2 short FGs (30 yarders) which would have been enough. Kenny the Snake was the Bammer QB that day.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

My senior year. Mainly I remember the Alabama

Jan 6, 2016, 4:34 PM

Million Dollar Band marching up the hill after holding on to win 13-10.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was ten years old and was riding

Jan 6, 2016, 6:26 PM

with my late Great Aunt to Greenville where she lived and we were listening to the game on the radio...when they said that Stabler and Bama were using the shotgun, she said well no wonder they're winning and we all busted out laughing.....she taught elementary school in Greenville probably into her 80's...they let her lie about her age...she used to frequent McAlister Field House for wrestling....lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2016, 6:27 PM

My late Father and I were among that crowd! Bama was number one. We lost the game in the second half. The two missed FGs were obviously critical.

Go Tigers!

Jan 6, 2016, 8:07 PM

I am now 64 yrs. old and my father went to Clemson as I did . I would get just as excited about Clemson football at age 8 as I do now .????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2016, 8:10 PM

That was the first college game I ever attended. I had moved from Mobile to Charleston a year before, and was a die-hard Tide fan...I'd never even heard of Clemson. Honestly, don't remember much about the game other than the score and Bama winning. Six years later, I'm in the stands as a Clemson student and my blood began the transition to the rich orange it has remained to to this day! Go Tigers!!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there. 11 years old but remember how close the game w

Jan 6, 2016, 8:34 PM

Came away thinking we could have won.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic