Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone have video link of Skip Wise playing bball at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Anyone have video link of Skip Wise playing bball at Clemson

Mar 14, 2013, 8:15 PM

I can't find any?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've tried before, too, TigerContractor after hearing

Mar 14, 2013, 8:20 PM

everyone on here talk about him and reading a few articles (also tough to find) about him. He was before my time, but is spoken of here in such high regard from a basketball standpoint, I've always wanted to see footage of this guy in the orange.

Re: I've tried before, too, TigerContractor after hearing

Mar 14, 2013, 8:32 PM

I watched him play live and he was simply amazing. Never seen anyone since who could dribble and move like he could There are some videos of him and I have seen them in the last 5 yrs to maybe just keep asking. Try Shaking the Southland.

He was a one-on-one matchup nightmare for opponents.***

Mar 14, 2013, 8:40 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I've tried as well, to no avail. He was at Clemson when I

Mar 14, 2013, 8:39 PM [ in reply to I've tried before, too, TigerContractor after hearing ]

was 15 years old and in high school, and he was really something to watch. He had "game", and never looked or played like the freshman he was; instead, he played with all of the savvy that came with being (to this day) one of the great street ballers from Washington D.C.

He was only 6'2" or 6'3", but could get up pretty good and had this jump shot that he took way behind his head which made it almost unblockable. He was smooth as silk, a great ball handler, who could go behind his back or make a no look pass.

I know I am biased and "everything was better back in the day", but I honestly believe that if Skip had kept his nose clean and worked hard, he would have been Jordan-esque - seriously on that level.

Man, I wish somebody had some video too.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I've tried as well, to no avail. He was at Clemson when I

Mar 14, 2013, 8:44 PM

That is an apt description. I just don't remember anyone before him or after him who could move like he could.
Randy Mahaffey was close but not as fast and agile as Skip Wise.
He was a hot dog but he walked the walk and did the talk.

Re: I've tried as well, to no avail. He was at Clemson when I

Mar 14, 2013, 8:47 PM

I have seen prison documentaries of him on tv but don't know how to get them now.

I'm sorry

Mar 14, 2013, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I've tried as well, to no avail. He was at Clemson when I ]

I saw both Randy Mahaffey and Skip Wise play in person, several times. There's no comparison between the two. I still say, Wise may have been the best player ever in the ACC.

Anytime this topic comes up, rather than launch

Mar 14, 2013, 8:43 PM [ in reply to I've tried before, too, TigerContractor after hearing ]

into a description both excessive and unbelievable, I simply tell the person inquiring that in Wise's only year at Clemson, he was selected ACC Freshman of The Year----and that it was coincidentally Phil Ford's freshman year as well.

Needless to say, Ford has his jersey hanging from the deandome rafters and is comfortably ensconced in unc's HOF.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skip "Honey Dip" Wise

Mar 14, 2013, 8:53 PM

makes me sick whenever I think of the wasted talent. No question, he was the best ever at Clemson and maybe one of the top 5 in ACC history.

Re: Anyone have video link of Skip Wise playing bball at Clemson

Mar 14, 2013, 9:03 PM

No, but I saw him play in person back in '75,(I think it was). He was terrific...I saw him get 38 points one night. Too bad he only played one year.

It is hard to find box scores for that season, too.

Mar 14, 2013, 9:14 PM

It appears, as far as footage goes, it would probably take contacting the Athletic Dept. itself to see if there is anything they can provide, or maybe the ACC to see if there is way to buy footage. I don't know. Just spitballing at this point, but from my last hour of Googling, there appears to be nothing on the web available. Not a clip. Barely any pictures.

Final stats from that year . . .

Mar 14, 2013, 9:24 PM

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/clemson/1975.html

- H. L. Mencken

Yep, that was the info I found that I thought would lead me

Mar 14, 2013, 9:30 PM

to box scores, but nothing doing. Time to watch the Tigers.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic